11.06.2011 - Nickelsdorf, Austria - NovaRock

Linkin Park plays their third show of the summer and their first show of the European Tour in Nickelsdorf, Austria at the NovaRock Festival. This is their second appearance at the festival, the first coming in 2007 (show page here) as the last show on the first European Tour for Minutes To Midnight.

An interesting note about that show was that it was almost canceled! The band was supposed to play the Heineken Jammin' Festival in Venice, Italy the day before but it was canceled due to terrible storms (see: tornadoes) and a lot of the band's gear was damaged in the storm. The crew and the people of NovaRock had to piece together working equipment so LP could play! You can see the Projekt Revolution 2004 backdrop instead of the video screen. LP didn't headline that show...it was one of the few on that tour where they opened for Pearl Jam.

A few cool videos from that show.... the first one is the fourth time or so that 'Bleed It Out' was extended during the bridge. USA fans take note - this is why Euro crowds kick ass!

Maybe that's not as cool as the "Say fuck yo' side" video from Switzerland earlier in that tour (

) but it's still awesome.
is a really cool video of 'Crawling' from NovaRock 2007 that was filmed backstage. The guy has a few others from Rock im Park 2007 too.

LP first played Austria on March 9th, 2001 in Vienna on the Deftones' European Tour (show page here). They returned only 6 months later in September (show page here) to headline the same venue - nice! After not playing there for almost seven years, they returned to play Novarock in 2007 (show page here) and then headlined the Statdhalle in Graz back-to-back years in 2008 (show page here) and 2009 (show page here). In 2010 they played Linz (show page here), which coincidentally made the 2009 and 2010 shows both the third show of the tour. This will be their seventh show in Austria and their fifth year in a row playing there.

So far in 2011 we have seen two very identical sets in Irvine (show page here) and Mountain View (show page here) last week. The question is - will the band continue using that one set for Europe? Or will they rotate with the three or four sets they used on the North American Tour earlier this year? OR will they change things up with three brand new sets? What do you think?

Who's headed to NovaRock? M&G for anyone at this show? Playing before Linkin Park at this festival on the "Blue Stage" is 30 Seconds To Mars, Wolfmother, Guano Apes, Dredg, Plain White T's, Silverstein, Framing Hanley and Crash Kings.

Is everyone excited for the start of the European Tour? After NovaRock, LP plays the Download Festival in Donington, UK the following day before heading over to Stockholm, Sweden for the first of only two headlining arena shows on this tour. The full 2011 touring schedule can be found here.

SETLIST:

01. The Requiem

02. Papercut

03. Lying From You

04. Given Up

05. What I've Done

06. Empty Spaces

07. When They Come For Me

08. No More Sorrow

09. Waiting For The End

10. Wisdom, Justice, And Love

11. Iridescent

12. Numb

13. The Radiance

14. Breaking The Habit

15. The Catalyst

16. Crawling

17. New Divide

18. In The End

19. Bleed It Out Ext. (/w 'Burning In The Skies' chorus)

20. Faint

21. One Step Closer

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really excited for the European Tour. Tomorrow will show if this excitement continues though. They have to do a new setlist, the same again would be inadmissible.

Admittedly, they might have seen the two US shows as warm up - gigs and want to present us their three new setlists in Europe which would be pretty cool.

Bring it on!

The question is: will the new setlists just change a few songs or new intros/outros? In my opinion Easier To Run may have characteristics of ATS! Rob said last year that Figure.09 and Pushing Me Away had opportunities to return to the setlist.

A simple change that I would do is change the OSC version: back to 2004 Reanimation version.

I read here on some news that Chester said in an interview with Kerrang, the show Sunday at the Download Festival will be more "rock".

I am very excited to learn new setlists! In 2008 they played Reading My Eyes: totally unexpected.

Edited by Victor Del Porto

The question is: will the new setlists just change a few songs or new intros/outros? In my opinion Easier To Run may have characteristics of ATS! Rob said last year that Figure.09 and Pushing Me Away had opportunities to return to the setlist.

A simple change that I would do is change the OSC version: back to 2004 Reanimation version.

I read here on some news that Chester said in an interview with Kerrang, the show Sunday at the Download Festival will be more "rock".

I am very excited to learn new setlists! In 2008 they played Reading My Eyes: totally unexpected.

I sure hope so! I really want LP to make me regret going to DL this year! They have to play a heavy set, as festival audiences are notorious for dismissing bands like LP for not being "metal" enough. If they play the right songs, LP could give SOAD a run for there money... though I did say "could". :lol:

does LP actually enjoy touring? One would expect a touring band to mix up the set list and please the die hard fans since that kinda get the crowd hyped up. I know there are songs that would make the crowd go wild and they dont want to play them, it's their right to not play songs they dislike but really... would it hurt to mix things up like they did back in Japan 06 where they played Qwerty. Those were some kickass set lists

does LP actually enjoy touring? One would expect a touring band to mix up the set list and please the die hard fans since that kinda get the crowd hyped up. I know there are songs that would make the crowd go wild and they dont want to play them, it's their right to not play songs they dislike but really... would it hurt to mix things up like they did back in Japan 06 where they played Qwerty. Those were some kickass set lists

I agree. It seems some members outside of Mike and Chester don't enjoy the shows...

I agree. It seems some members outside of Mike and Chester don't enjoy the shows...

I've been thinking about the same thing over the last months. It seems LP is playing because they have to, because it is a routine for them. Ok, yes, for bands, it is a routine to release records + do touring for months around the world. Now, a different thing is to enjoy that. From all the bands I like, and the ones I've seen live, probably Linkin Park is one of the few bands that make me think they don't enjoy playing live. I see old videos, and you can tell that they were having a lot of fun, playing with so much energy and having a great crowd interaction. Nowadays, I see old bands from the 80's playing longer shows than LP and enjoying so much what they do. Now, like Mark said, we're still lucky to have Chester enjoying what he does and same with Mike.

They will play the same set and everyone will complain.

This. I'm pretty sure they will play the same set, and if they don't, they won't play anything we haven't heard yet.

I don't think it needs to change radically.

But if they wanted to spend the ATS experience in Europe, have done it! Now they can make changes in the setlist without affecting the idea/concept of ATS.

I believe they will, yes, three new setlist, inserting songs that are not played for some time.

The only dangerous thing to own is ourselves: many of us (often) require too much of the band.

i hope what ou sa does haooen but i have a somewhat hard time believing it

Dude, I could be there on the whole festival, but I've got sick yesterday. I can't belive it!! : (

Go anyway! It will be worth it :) Or if not then go see another show on the tour!

I also would like to see Reading My Eyes return. Love that song.