Next Single & ATS Fan Review!

Nameless

From my friend Jen that went:

"They wouldn't let us keep our papers so I'll attempt to give a blow by blow account of the songs.

What I do remember, couple of bad ass songs. There are 15 tracks, 4 were interludes. Kinda pointless some of them.

For the most part, you have to listen to it in its entirety to get the meaning otherwise it just seems out of context. Especially the interludes. own bits.

I took this from Evan for the track list.

1. The Requiem - Hilarious when we heard it was Mike actually singing. Who hit him in the nuts to get him to sing like a choir boy

2. The Radiance - Interlude, sucked. My exact quote was WTF?

3. Burning In The Skies - This song has deep lyrics that are repeated in Fallout

4. Empty Spaces - Very wartime sounding. Another interlude again, WTF?

5. When They Come For Me - This one Mike raps, Chester has good lyrics. Reminds me of Fort Minor days.

6. Robot Boy - Don't remember much about this one

7. Jornada Del Muerto - An interlude. Yet again! And it is in Spanish like the title suggests.

8. Waiting For The End - This was actually a good song Just not a fan of all the electro beats

9. Blackout - This song really confused a lot of us. It builds up, fades, and rebuilds. You think it is the start to the next song.

10. Wretches And Kings - 2 words, BAD ASS! This song has more of the HT feel with Fort Minor peppered thru it

11. Wisdom, Justice, And Love - Yet another interlude, but this one distorts into a robot sound. Felt like a commercial for Droid phones, and yes, I said that to the execs.

12. Iridescent - I really enjoyed this song. Had almost a revival drum feel about it. Very epic and mesmerizing

13. Fallout - The lyrics from Burning in the skies are repeated here. I kinda liked it, felt very fluid and continuous.

14. The Catalyst - Wrong song to lead off the album with

15. The Messenger - This song was not good. The album flows then BOOM, picture any 80's hair bang power ballad set to acoustic guitar. Someone liked this song and wanted it in. The only thing I can guess, the lyrics worked with the theme of the album but not so much the music. I guess it is to represent a stripped down world after whatever catastrophe occurred but it still doesn't fit. A piano would have been better.

I was asked specifically what I didn't like and said it doesn't feel like a collaboration between all 6 members. I think Brad took a nap on this one. Almost no guitar. 1 of the execs agreed with me. M2M lost Joe and now he is back with a vengeance but they lost Brad and Phoenix along the way.

You can pick out HT influence, Meteora influence, M2m influence and some Fort Minor influence.

The record execs said "the band wanted to make an album that they wanted to hear but no one was doing"

HT and Meteora were kinda the same, M2m was the beginning of the change bit they ran with the new sound on ATS. "

As much as I hate to say it, I have agree on the comment about it not being a collaboration between all six of them. I don't know if its just me, but I really get the feeling that Mike wrote the entire album and the rest of guys came in and commented on what was good or bad. Sure Chester has a helping hand in the final draft of the lyrics, but for all we know he may not have even written a song for this album and just sang what Mike had on paper for him. This may or may not be the case because I am just speculating based off recent fan reviews. The possibility however of this being true cannot be ruled out either. Edited by FORTsunrise

Still no one is mentioning how the guitar solo that's supposedly in Iridescent sounds?

The review kind of sucked. I mean, I can understand that it was probably based on one listen of an album he couldn't take home and digest further, but it still seems like he didn't even really try. Much preferred Ana's review.

I must say, with each review, I'm getting more excited & worried for this album.

I wish some people would actually describe the tracks instead of just 'meh' or 'wtf'. its a very lazy way in getting your opnions across.

actually, all i can say based on these reviews is that the only thing I'm worried about is the "Lack of" guitar. Thats probably going to be the only thing I'll have gripes with if thats the case, otherwise it's pretty much postitive from there on.

I find it really hard to base anything off these reviews. No offense to those who have provided info, but I feel like an album needs to be listened to more than once to get an accurate review. Also, if these people aren't able to keep their notes, how accurate are memories of a song you heard once?

To be fair, I don't feel much better about any "professional" reviews though (for the most part). Every publication tends to be biased towards some genre.

9/10 in ireland :P

but i guess whoever pre-ordered the album is getting on 9/14 anyway right?

Oh yeah, Friday the 10th baby! I've pre-ordered from LP.com but now way in hell I'm waiting until Tuesday to hear the album. Silly Americans and their stupid Tuesday release day!

Seriously, who's idea was it to release an album on a Tuesday????

EDIT: Thanks for the reviews but anyone who has heard it said its hard to judge on one listen. Agreed, as pretty much every song/album needs to be heard multiple times before a decent judgement can be made.

Also, if you're writing down notes while listening to a track then you're not really giving all your attention to the actual music!

Edited by andydlp

I was also there, I should've copied down my notes from the sheet they made us fill out but oh well. You're all in for a real surprise the first listen through. Overall I found the album as a whole pretty shocking, Minutes to Midnight was baby steps, A Thousand Suns is running full sprint, in terms of uniqueness and how different of a direction they went. The songs are definitely better on multiple listens and the album really flows from track to track really well. It really feels like a full complete album, like each song just adds to create one big picture in the end.

My favorite songs were

When They Come For Me

Wating For the End

Blackout

Wretches and Kings

By the way if you already RSVP'd for the laser show, you're definitely in, that's what Adam and Jessica told us.

The four above hit me hard!

Things that come to mind about "When they came for me" is a NIN guitar shreding sound with Blue Man Group deeeeeep drums.

Blackout 30 seconds of it is pure insanity (NIN- Great Destroyer broken down in a New Divide bridge like effect)

Wretches and Kings I think I had "In Stereo" hard beat matched by "There They Go" pace. I think this is the song Adam is referring to as Fort Minor ft Chester.

In my opinion Ana and a few other reviews I've seen didn't convey that the listener was too excited or convinced the first time around. I think Evan and I plus a couple others in the party were just floored at the awesomeness of this sound.

I wasn't surprised one bit. The thing that surprised me is Mike/ LP were so concerned that this album would be hard to swallow for awhile. It sounded like LP. I'll say it again, the tempo is similar to M2M where it mixes up songs but I was more entertained because the less aggressive songs were more uptempo because of the electronic aspects of the song. HT/M were in your face non-stop and as a teenager thats great but along with the band I have matured and like to change it up a bit. There are no "In Between" tracks on this record. I liked every single song, which the same couldn't be said for M2M + Easier to Run.

If you fall into the category of I needz ELPEE to go bak to NU Metalz you will be dissapointed by the cd. No surprise. Maybe if all you like are guitar solos, you might be dissapointed, there are plenty of guitars, but there are also 8-10 different layers that you can hear at any given moment so they are not as prevalent as older stuff which would always draw you in with them. I don't think they will lose too many fans outside of these two reasons. Some people are stressing out way to much.

I found myself getting excited like I did for Meteora after I listened to it, I was reassured after listening to ATS and felt those same feelings which escaped me on M2M.

Edited by skyzlmt

I must say, with each review, I'm getting more excited & worried for this album.

I wish some people would actually describe the tracks instead of just 'meh' or 'wtf'. its a very lazy way in getting your opnions across.

actually, all i can say based on these reviews is that the only thing I'm worried about is the "Lack of" guitar. Thats probably going to be the only thing I'll have gripes with if thats the case, otherwise it's pretty much postitive from there on.

They took away our note sheets, we couldn't bring in cellphones or cameras. The album blends from track to track and some tracks have parts in them that make them sound like a different track it's hard to remember detail after one listen. There's a lot of depth to most of the songs, with very un-linkin park unorthodox song structures.

There is very little guitar, and when it's there it's not really in the foreground, it's more blended in with the other layers of sounds, like in the The Catalyst. The songs that have guitar as the loudest element are more used in a hip hop style beat loop, heavy as hell and they just sound different. I liked those songs the most.

As much as I hate to say it, I have agree on the comment about it not being a collaboration between all six of them. I don't know if its just me, but I really get the feeling that Mike wrote the entire album and the rest of guys came in and commented on what was good or bad. Sure Chester has a helping hand in the final draft of the lyrics, but for all we know he may not have even written a song for this album and just sang what Mike had on paper for him. This may or may not be the case because I am just speculating based off recent fan reviews. The possibility however of this being true cannot be ruled out either.

Crazily enough, this is part of why I'm so excited for the record. Mike has been my favorite member of Linkin Park. I think that he brings the most to the table and I'm excited to see how this turns out.

From my friend Jen that went:

"They wouldn't let us keep our papers so I'll attempt to give a blow by blow account of the songs.

What I do remember, couple of bad ass songs. There are 15 tracks, 4 were interludes. Kinda pointless some of them.

For the most part, you have to listen to it in its entirety to get the meaning otherwise it just seems out of context. Especially the interludes. own bits.

I took this from Evan for the track list.

1. The Requiem - Hilarious when we heard it was Mike actually singing. Who hit him in the nuts to get him to sing like a choir boy

2. The Radiance - Interlude, sucked. My exact quote was WTF?

3. Burning In The Skies - This song has deep lyrics that are repeated in Fallout

4. Empty Spaces - Very wartime sounding. Another interlude again, WTF?

5. When They Come For Me - This one Mike raps, Chester has good lyrics. Reminds me of Fort Minor days.

6. Robot Boy - Don't remember much about this one

7. Jornada Del Muerto - An interlude. Yet again! And it is in Spanish like the title suggests.

8. Waiting For The End - This was actually a good song Just not a fan of all the electro beats

9. Blackout - This song really confused a lot of us. It builds up, fades, and rebuilds. You think it is the start to the next song.

10. Wretches And Kings - 2 words, BAD ASS! This song has more of the HT feel with Fort Minor peppered thru it

11. Wisdom, Justice, And Love - Yet another interlude, but this one distorts into a robot sound. Felt like a commercial for Droid phones, and yes, I said that to the execs.

12. Iridescent - I really enjoyed this song. Had almost a revival drum feel about it. Very epic and mesmerizing

13. Fallout - The lyrics from Burning in the skies are repeated here. I kinda liked it, felt very fluid and continuous.

14. The Catalyst - Wrong song to lead off the album with

15. The Messenger - This song was not good. The album flows then BOOM, picture any 80's hair bang power ballad set to acoustic guitar. Someone liked this song and wanted it in. The only thing I can guess, the lyrics worked with the theme of the album but not so much the music. I guess it is to represent a stripped down world after whatever catastrophe occurred but it still doesn't fit. A piano would have been better.

I was asked specifically what I didn't like and said it doesn't feel like a collaboration between all 6 members. I think Brad took a nap on this one. Almost no guitar. 1 of the execs agreed with me. M2M lost Joe and now he is back with a vengeance but they lost Brad and Phoenix along the way.

You can pick out HT influence, Meteora influence, M2m influence and some Fort Minor influence.

The record execs said "the band wanted to make an album that they wanted to hear but no one was doing"

HT and Meteora were kinda the same, M2m was the beginning of the change bit they ran with the new sound on ATS. "

Just for your hindsight Jen was one of the only vocal people were not instantly on board with this album. She stressed that she needed to hear an album repeatedly before giving any true answers. IMO she secretly had her fingers crossed for HTIII (Not saying that is the case, just the vibe I got)

With regards to not all 6 members collaborating, this is one I wanted to ask the execs. It either came down to what was mentioned above (Mike ft LP) or the guys truley went with what they wanted. LP wanted to make a record that they would like to listen too because they feel that nobody out there makes music THEY ALL like. People are quick to bash the fact that guys are not playing instruments, yes I know that is the point of a band, but we should know by now LP is not just a band.

They took away our note sheets, we couldn't bring in cellphones or cameras. The album blends from track to track and some tracks have parts in them that make them sound like a different track it's hard to remember detail after one listen. There's a lot of depth to most of the songs, with very un-linkin park unorthodox song structures.

There is very little guitar, and when it's there it's not really in the foreground, it's more blended in with the other layers of sounds, like in the The Catalyst. The songs that have guitar as the loudest element are more used in a hip hop style beat loop, heavy as hell and they just sound different. I liked those songs the most.

Heavy as hell indeed! I shit brix when Grover cranked up the sound during Wretches and Kings! Thought for damn sure the windows were gonna blow.

Still no one is mentioning how the guitar solo that's supposedly in Iridescent sounds?

The review kind of sucked. I mean, I can understand that it was probably based on one listen of an album he couldn't take home and digest further, but it still seems like he didn't even really try. Much preferred Ana's review.

Guitar solo wasn't as prevalent as I thought it would be (I imagined an In Pieces like solo). It's there just not very solo'y. Lots of layers people!

Maybe thats why I got the vibe that Ana didn't LOVE the album because she was busy jotting notes. At most I had the pen in my had for 15 seconds per song.

I don't know if Jen reads LPL but I'm glad she was there. She had a lot of good points. Read her review too.

I read it. its awesome.

Oh yeah, Friday the 10th baby! I've pre-ordered from LP.com but now way in hell I'm waiting until Tuesday to hear the album. Silly Americans and their stupid Tuesday release day!

Seriously, who's idea was it to release an album on a Tuesday????

EDIT: Thanks for the reviews but anyone who has heard it said its hard to judge on one listen. Agreed, as pretty much every song/album needs to be heard multiple times before a decent judgement can be made.

Also, if you're writing down notes while listening to a track then you're not really giving all your attention to the actual music!

That last sentence. That is so true. Also, i think its cool that cd's get realesed on Tuesdays here. And we are not silly.

The four above hit me hard!

Things that come to mind about "When they came for me" is a NIN guitar shreding sound with Blue Man Group deeeeeep drums.

Blackout 30 seconds of it is pure insanity (NIN- Great Destroyer broken down in a New Divide bridge like effect)

Wretches and Kings I think I had "In Stereo" hard beat matched by "There They Go" pace. I think this is the song Adam is referring to as Fort Minor ft Chester.

In my opinion Ana and a few other reviews I've seen didn't convey that the listener was too excited or convinced the first time around. I think Evan and I plus a couple others in the party were just floored at the awesomeness of this sound.

I wasn't surprised one bit. The thing that surprised me is Mike/ LP were so concerned that this album would be hard to swallow for awhile. It sounded like LP. I'll say it again, the tempo is similar to M2M where it mixes up songs but I was more entertained because the less aggressive songs were more uptempo because of the electronic aspects of the song. HT/M were in your face non-stop and as a teenager thats great but along with the band I have matured and like to change it up a bit. There are no "In Between" tracks on this record. I liked every single song, which the same couldn't be said for M2M + Easier to Run.

If you don't fall into the category of I needz ELPEE to go bak to NU Metalz you will be dissapointed by the cd. No surprise. Maybe if all you like are guitar solos, you might be dissapointed, there are plenty of guitars, but there are also 8-10 different layers that you can hear at any given moment so they are not as prevalent as older stuff which would always draw you in with them. I don't think they will lose too many fans outside of these two reasons. Some people are stressing out way to much.

I found myself getting excited like I did for Meteora after I listened to it, I was reassured after listening to ATS and felt those same feelings which escaped me on M2M.

Cool. I'm happy this cd is in your face. And I hope i like every song too. And yes thoose two things will turn away some fans, but thats life and we goota live with it.

Crazily enough, this is part of why I'm so excited for the record. Mike has been my favorite member of Linkin Park. I think that he brings the most to the table and I'm excited to see how this turns out.

I personally think Chester brings the most to the table, but Mike is awesome too.

Just for your hindsight Jen was one of the only vocal people were not instantly on board with this album. She stressed that she needed to hear an album repeatedly before giving any true answers. IMO she secretly had her fingers crossed for HTIII (Not saying that is the case, just the vibe I got)

With regards to not all 6 members collaborating, this is one I wanted to ask the execs. It either came down to what was mentioned above (Mike ft LP) or the guys truley went with what they wanted. LP wanted to make a record that they would like to listen too because they feel that nobody out there makes music THEY ALL like. People are quick to bash the fact that guys are not playing instruments, yes I know that is the point of a band, but we should know by now LP is not just a band.

true, LP is more than just a band.

Wretches and Kings deserves to be a single. Based on what we've heard, that would get mad airplay.

I hope it ends up being a single. It would be nice if it ended up being the third single. I hope it becomes a single. The prview in the episode sounds amazing and people who have heard the album said its amazing. I hope it becomes a single.