Review of A Thousand Suns

ana

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much for the preview Ana! To say I'm worried now is a major understatement. Although No Roads Left is one of my favourite songs from LP, I also can't help but think that Chester shouldn't just be the second voice. It's also completely okay for only 2 screams in the album, as long as there's still aggression and emotion pouring through the vocals IMO.

At the same time, my curiousity and excitement for the album has sky rocketed! I can't wait to hear all these new experimental sounds you have described in the album.

September 14th can't come quick enough!

I think Mike enjoys singing more than rapping!

not that Rapping isn't something that people can feel or anything. I know people have that passion. But when you sing, you become an instrument and its hard to describe the feeling. and again, not saying rapping can't do that for you, but singing is more natural for the human body.

I love you to death Ana but I'm gonna go ahead and say you're wrong about autotune. LP has been trying to move away from trends, why in the hell would they do what every single hip-hop artist out there is doing? I'm thinking you must be confusing some type of vocal effect for autotune. It's not the only one out there ya know! Thank you for the info though, really appreciate it. It sounds to me like nobody is going to be able to describe this album to someone who hasn't heard it haha. Bring it on LP, you've got me excited!

I love you to death Ana but I'm gonna go ahead and say you're wrong about autotune. LP has been trying to move away from trends, why in the hell would they do what every single hip-hop artist out there is doing? I'm thinking you must be confusing some type of vocal effect for autotune. It's not the only one out there ya know! Thank you for the info though, really appreciate it. It sounds to me like nobody is going to be able to describe this album to someone who hasn't heard it haha. Bring it on LP, you've got me excited!

Autotune can work with rock, and it doesn't have to make you sound like Kesha or T-Pain.

Example: http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/song_details/3169205

chester screams 2x.... :(

mostly mike vocals...ok there's a point where you can over-do it and they might cross that point...

autotune...come on. I do NOT want LP to start sounding like f'ing ke$hit :(

Everybody PLEASE IGNORE THE AUTO-TUNE STATEMENT FOR NOW. No diss to Ana, but nowadays everybody seems to think that flangers and funky voice modulations are auto-tune.

and I also don't get why Chester not screaming alot sucks...Chester never screamed alot anyway.

And hey, if you don't like Mike as lead, you can totally blame the mixer for that one :)

edit: About "Auto-tune"...it's used ALOT MORE THAN YOU KNOW. It's just not obvious. The "T-pain effect" is NOT what Auto-tune was made for. It's made to smooth out shit so that singers sound perfecto. It does not make you sound like a good singer.

and whoever said that this sounds like pop should be kicked in the genitals for ignoring the fact that 1. Linkin Park were always somewhat "pop" and 2. The whole goal of the album is to not be "pop"

Edited by Rocky

Sounds like Pendulum!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

NO!!!!!

This is very bad. LP are my favourite band, Pendulum are a band that I actually hate. I'd prob get banned if i actually described in words how much i hate pendulum and the fact they get to play so many rock shows when they are a dance act.

This review, depresses me greatly.

I'm not worried about liking this album, because I feel I will enjoy it a hell of a lot more than I did MTM. However, the fact that Chester doesn't scream much pisses me off. That's one of the key things that made me become a fan of LP in the first place.

Also, I hate auto tune on an anything, and if there is auto tune, or even vocal/layer distortion... I don't know how I feel about it. Chesters voice is too badass to distort with. There is no need for it.

EDIT: I am actually happy that Mike is "lead" singer on this one. I always considered Mike the lead vocalist, and then MTM fucked it up. Keep chester secondary, let him save his voice for some badass growls and shit.

Edited by Legend

Autotune can work with rock, and it doesn't have to make you sound like Kesha or T-Pain.

Example: http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/song_details/3169205

Sounds like Lil Wayne's rock album to me. Which sounds like a rapper using autotune to sing. I'm sorry but I wasn't trying to say only hip-hop uses autotune. Cher did it first. Well I take that back. People have been using autotune long before Cher but no one messed with the settings to make it sound like the autotune we have all come to know until she did it. Let's all remember that autotune when used how intended is meant to correct the pitch of your voice slightly. T-Pain and Cher just maxed out the settings to get the extreme correction that causes the effect people refer to as autotune.

Back to LP. It's not autotune. If it is I will smash my CD to bits for the world to see. Guarantee it's not though.

Also, I hate auto tune on an anything, and if there is auto tune, or even vocal/layer distortion... I don't know how I feel about it. Chesters voice is too badass to distort with. There is no need for it.

Don Gilmore always had them layer their vocals. Did you listen to Loveline? That shit was funny.

Chester said he listened to how the layering sounded on a song and asked Don "How am I supposed to do this live?" and Don replied "That sounds like somebody else's problem"

Sounds like Lil Wayne's rock album to me. Which sounds like a rapper using autotune to sing. I'm sorry but I wasn't trying to say only hip-hop uses autotune. Cher did it first. Well I take that back. People have been using autotune long before Cher but no one messed with the settings to make it sound like the autotune we have all come to know until she did it. Let's all remember that autotune when used how intended is meant to correct the pitch of your voice slightly. T-Pain and Cher just maxed out the settings to get the extreme correction that causes the effect people refer to as autotune.

Back to LP. It's not autotune. If it is I will smash my CD to bits for the world to see. Guarantee it's not though.

But it's being used as an effect, not because it's needed, which in my opinion is a creative use and really adds to the music. And you can't possibly say that song sounds like T-Pain.

But it's being used as an effect, not because it's needed, which in my opinion is a creative use and really adds to the music. And you can't possibly say that song sounds like T-Pain.

The effect on the voice is EXACTLY what T-Pain does. I'm not talking about the style of the music or anything. It's not creative when the use of the effect has been done over, and over, and over again. I don't care the style of music it's being used in, it's not original to use maxed out autotune settings because EVERYONE has done them. It's exactly the same as the nu-metal tag. Everyone was doing that shit in the early 2000's. Then people got sick of it just as they will of autotune.

This album sounds bad. Auto-tune, political, poppy, dancy= meh.

Doesn't sound like Mike is rapping very much either for putting his FM energy into this album.

Edit: You say this is like FM huh? I'm intrigued again despite how bad the reviews seem to me.

Edited by spraypaintninkpens

I seem to remember seeing a thread a few days ago about people complaining about chesters voice not being up to scratch? maybe the autotune is just being used to correct his pitch a tad. DONT READ TO MUCH INTO THIS. its a simple review. autotune dosnt have to make you sound like T-pain, thats not why it was invented and thats not its sole purpose. BUT ofcourse If you dramtically edit the pitch then it distorts the voice.

Edited by corey_UKLP