Linkin Park Logs First No. 1 Debut On Billboards Rock Songs Chart

Jen

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that's really cool :) I was a little bit sceptical about the public reception of "The Catalyst", but it seems like it is turning out pretty well...

How can a song so suck do so well?

Didn't you say you liked the song after its release?

Wow, that's really cool :) I was a little bit sceptical about the public reception of "The Catalyst", but it seems like it is turning out pretty well...

Didn't you say you liked the song after its release?

Yes, but I also said that after my "OMG NEW LP MUSIC" phase died down a bit, it was one of my least favorite LP songs.

I'm surprised it's doing so well, but good for LP. :)

ROCK?

Catalyst is NOT rock music, LOL. That's hilarious. That's like saying The Beatles are rap.

indeed. I wouldn't call that rock as well. I wish I could but I can't. I'm not really happy LP gets this kind of music somehow validated by the fans. because most of the old school fans who are most into metal and probably rock and made LP big don't wanna hear music like that. at least that's the reaction of the people I talked to. People who don't really listen to LP even asked me if they are doing a techno record right now after seeing the gametrailer of MoH.

This just goes to show that casual music fans have bad taste in music. I'm not surprised though, LP changed themselves to completely cater to the top 40 crowd.

LOL, I can't even take this post seriously. How many times have they hit #1 on the rock charts? And now all of the sudden they are catering to the top 40 crowd?

I swear to God, you people find new things to bitch about every nano second of the day.

This just goes to show that casual music fans have bad taste in music. I'm not surprised though, LP changed themselves to completely cater to the top 40 crowd.

Current top 40 on the Billboard Hot 100:

1. Eminem feat. Rhianna - Love the Way You Lie

2. Katy Perry feat. Snoop Dogg - California Gurls

3. Taio Cruz - Dynamite

4. B.o.B. feat. Hayley Williams - Airplanes

5. Enrique Iglesias feat. Pitbull - I Like It

6. Mike Posner - Cooler Than Me

7. Katy Perry - Teenage Dream

8. Travie McCoy feat. Bruno Mars - Billionare

9. Usher feat. Pitbull - DJ Got Us Fallin' in Love

10. Usher feat. will.i.am - OMG

11. Jason Derulo - Ridin' Solo

12. Drake - Find Your Love

13. Eminem - Not Afraid

14. Nicki Minaj - Your Love

15. La Roux - Bulletproof

16. Train - Hey, Soul Sister

17. Shontelle - Impossible

18. Maroon 5 - Misery

19. Taio Cruz feat. Ludacris - Break Your Heart

20. Sugarland - Stuck Like Glue

21. Lady Gaga - Alejandro

22. B.o.B. feat. Rivers Cuomo - Magic

23. Ke$ha - Your Love is My Drug

24. 3OH!3 feat. Ke$ha - My First Kiss

25. Usher - There Goes My Baby

26. Carrie Underwood - Undo It

27. Lady Antebellum - Need You Now

28. Paramore - The Only Exception

29. Jerrod Niemann - Lover, Lover

30. Alicia Keys - Un-Thinkable (I'm Ready)

31. Uncle Kracker - Smile

32. David Guetta & Chris Willis feat. Fergie & LMFAO - Gettin' Over You

33. Flo Rida feat. David Guetta - Club Can't Handle Me

34. Zac Brown Band - Free

35. Soulja Boy Tell'em - Pretty Boy Swag

36. Bruno Mars - Just the Way You Are

37. Cali Swag District - Teach Me How to Dougie

38. T.I. feat. Keri Hilson - Got Your Back

39. The Script - Breakeven

40. Selena Gomez & The Scene - Round & Round

Tell me, oh guru of all musical knowledge, where does Linkin Park fit in with that group of artists? Paramore is the only rock-oriented track on that list, and they cater to an entirely different audience than LP does. Oh, and for the record, LP has had 8 top 40 singles in their career, and 5 of them were BEFORE Minutes to Midnight.

Just for shits and giggles, let's take a look at the top 10 on the Billboard charts from October 21st, 2000, the week Hybrid Theory came out (I'd post the full top 40 but Billboard's archives only show the top 10):

1. Christina Aguilera - Come On Over Baby (All I Want is You)

2. Madonna - Music

3. Creed - With Arms Wide Open

4. 3 Doors Down - Kryptonite

5. Pink - Most Girls

6. 98 Degrees - Just Give Me One Night (Una Noche)

7. Destiny's Child - Jumpin', Jumpin'

8. Janet Jackson - Doesn't Really Matter

9. Erykah Badu - Bag Lady

10. Sisqo - Incomplete

Hmm...interesting, Creed and 3 Doors Down, 2 bands that very much fit in with the alternative/"nu metal" genre that LP was also a part of at the time, occupied 2 of the top 5 spots! In fact, With Arms Wide Open went on to become a #1 single a couple weeks later. Now call me crazy, but I would think that having 2 alternative rock artists in the top 5, let alone the top 40, would indicate that Linkin Park's musical style in 2000 was much more consistent with the type of music that topped the charts at that time than their current musical style is with the type of music that tops the charts today.

You have proven time and time again to have absolutely no clue what you're talking about when you make your ridiculous comments, yet you keep coming back for more. It's quite sad to see. But then again, it provides plenty of entertainment for the rest of us, so by all means, keep plugging away at...whatever it is you're attempting to accomplish by bad-mouthing everything Linkin Park has done for the last 3 and a half years.

ROCK?

Catalyst is NOT rock music, LOL. That's hilarious. That's like saying The Beatles are rap.

Uhh...no. Just no. The Catalyst is WAY more of a rock song than Breaking the Habit was, yet I didn't see you complaining when that one went to #1 on the U.S. Mainstream Rock chart. At least The Catalyst has some distorted guitar in it...

Uhh...no. Just no. The Catalyst is WAY more of a rock song than Breaking the Habit was, yet I didn't see you complaining when that one went to #1 on the U.S. Mainstream Rock chart. At least The Catalyst has some distorted guitar in it...

wait... did you just tell off Hahninator?