Some New DBS Details

BeardyWilderness

Last night, my girlfriend Hayley, myself and a few select others (including GigaScythe) were chosen to listen to Out Of Ashes by Dead By Sunrise.

Pictures:

The review sheets

Hayley with her sheet

Me with my sheet

Everyone that was invited would agree that they took good care of us - supplying us with Coca Cola, Diet Coke, Stella Artois beer, Orange Juice, water and Pizza Hut! Hayley and I were first to arrive, and later more and more joined, and there were probably about 10 of us reviewing in all (with guests relaxing in the back). We all entered the room and were given a double-sided A4 sheet of paper with the track listing, but with 5 or 6 lines beneathe each track to write notes on. I used this to review it completely, and will be posting Hayleys and my own reviews here during the week.

Information we gathered from last night:

- Show in London around the release of the album. Possibly same sort of time as MTV Awards in a small venue.

- Acoustic version of some songs to come - possible listening party for this too.

- The Morning After is currently the only b-side.

- Plans for Let Down being a single have been held back, however the video will soon be online. The host of the party is working on it for us.

- There will be a UK exclusive merch selection.

- Too Late is the song that everyone was confused about. It was in a DBS video on MySpace.

EDIT:

Added photos by top of page. My review on the songs:

1. Fire

An amazing start to the album. The loud keyboards deliver a very relaxing vibe, and the distorted guitars suprisingly compliment this. The more times you listen to this songm the more you discover. The harmonies in this song are amazing!

8/10

2. Crawl Back In

Very hard-hitting punk-styled song. Perfect first single. Very impressed! The guys pull it of so well live. Once again, very strong harmonies, and I love how there is very little repetition in all these songs.

8.5/10

3. Too Late

Palm muted guitar intro is always a winner. The best song yet, Chesters singing style is perfect, fitting so well. The final chorus sums this song up so well with some amazing keyboard by Fu!

9.5/10

4. Inside Of Me

Woah-oh chorus! A personal favourite touch! The "underwater" feedback vocals are a nice touch. This song feels incredible to listen to. If you drive, expect some points on your license and fines for listening to this song at the same time haha.

9/10

5. Let Down

I finally get to hear the studio version of this song, after the 2005 acoustic version. I love the synth lead. The chorus delivers so well, naturally. Very rocky but keeping the mellow touch. Amir plays an amazing, seemingly complex solo. Once again, amazing harmonies and backing vocals.

9.5/10

6. Give Me Your Name

Acoustic mixed with overdrive in the intro. Sounds like an obvious love song, but so different from your typical love song. The bass fills the hole, it feels satisfying. It's like your expecting it, and it fills that gap with a little something extra adding in. Acoustic ending is brilliant.

7/10

7. My Suffering

Changed from the screaming demo played live a while back, but reminds amazing - actually better. The screaming part of the chorus is more than satisfying. Echo on the chorus is a great touch. Nice and heavy, high adrenaline!

8/10

8. Condemned

Old school rock style song. Waves of distorted guitars during chorus, which are very energetic. The amazing scream returns! Unexpectedly, the screaming progresses, reaching higher and higher halfway through the song, and it fits so well. This is very different for Chester.

9.5/10

9. Into You

The bass catches me most of the intro, suprisingly, as compared to the picked guitar. The way Chester flows with his vocals are unique, melodic and powerful. The bridge is, so far, the best bridge on the album!

9/10

10. End Of The World

The name instantly catches my intention. The industrial feel is catvhy, and the lyrics are powerful and in relation to real life, including media and polotics. During the bridge, a quiet session fades to a harder, heavier loud part, which is a perfect warm-up for the awesome solo!

9/10

11. Walking On Circles

Okay, this is the BEST song on the album! The acoustic verses, the punchy chorus with unbelievable backing vocals, making this song perfect! Progressive solo leading up to the final chorus, making this song "walk circles" around the rest of this album!

10/10!

12. In The Darkness

Sounds like there's some "beatboxing" in this song, or humming, as part of the drum beat. This makes the drums feel somewhat "tribal" VERY briefly. A nice end to the album, relaxing but with fitting energy. A Julien-K styled ending with drowning echos makes this album have a happy ending.

8/10

Overall...

Out Of Ashes - 8.75/10.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All indications are showing that Inside Of Me is going to be some sort of epic piece of music lol. I hope WIC and Let Down are good. Benson layering the everliving fuck out of Chester's vocal pieces are making me really worry. I hope we get some awesome live rips of the band.

Awesome review! Nice to get a brief idea of what to look forward to. I'm still as psyched as ever for the album. Still listening to the three songs we have! Acoustic songs? Intriguing...

Edited by Cyro

Information we gathered from last night:

- Show in London around the release of the album. Possibly same sort of time as MTV Awards in a small venue

i hope they dont play like one gig in the uk in london cose no way im paying all that money to get to london they better do a full uk tour

Edited by sian18

No way they'll do a full UK tour, lol

He's right, might do a few small shows or something along the lines of that

Good review :)

Hope we hear more news about this acoustic listening session soon (If its true that is), that would be awsome (I like the live acoustic version of Let Down from '05).

Edited by LPKode2

Thanks for the review but I disagree on your reviews for the songs that have leaked. Such as you saying crawl back in is not repetitive, and my suffering sounds better than it did in 08.

Edit: Also I think you used the word amazing about 10 times to describe the songs.I don't see you giving the songs any negative feedback, yet they all didn't get perfect scores. Could you elaborate on what you didn't like?

Edited by spraypaintninkpens

Hey' been on this site for awhile never posted, but just got back from staying in London for dbs album review. the songs lyrics ideas are great but its so over produced it ruined it for me. the producer has done a awful job on it, like fu's keyboard is way to loud in the mix it takes away from other bits in the songs my least fav song was Give me your name its so cheesy and my fav was walking in circles if this album was produced better id give it a 8 out of 10 but cose its not i give it a 5 but i tell you one thing it will sound awesome live with a better mix. ill post a a song by song review later i need to get some rest

Hey' been on this site for awhile never posted, but just got back from staying in London for dbs album review. the songs lyrics ideas are great but its so over produced it ruined it for me. the producer has done a awful job on it, like fu's keyboard is way to loud in the mix it takes away from other bits in the songs my least fav song was Give me your name its so cheesy and my fav was walking in circles if this album was produced better id give it a 8 out of 10 but cose its not i give it a 5 but i tell you one thing it will sound awesome live with a better mix. ill post a a song by song review later i need to get some rest

Yeah the production in the song's we've heard so far also kind of ruin it.