My Suffering!

Nameless

so far i rate:

CBI: 3.5/5

Fire: 3/5

MS: 3/5

still waiting for let down ><

edit* oh and can you say OVER PRODUCED... i really hope lp does not follow this style of producing...

Ever heard of Hybrid Theory and Meteora? Those albums are way more over-produced than anything DBS has released to this point. Meteora especially.

Its been long known how insane Elias is on drums. Technical Diff is sick, Kick the bass has great drums, pretty much every JK song.

Pretty much all the drums on JK's studio recordings are programmed. It shows how badass Elias is that he's able to translate them into live drum parts though.

The drumming is sick. Never heard anyone using double bass like this before, it's awesome. Also, I like the fact that the tone of the doulbe bass is un-usual, very discant. Love it.

Just a real shame that the song is a rip off of Little Sister by Queens of The Stone Age, but whatever, good song!

Little Sister and My Suffering are 2 out of probably thousands of songs that are built around a minor key I-V-iii-vii progression.

I also must be the only person who thinks the studio version destroys the live version (I feel that way about all 3 DBS songs released to this point). DBS live has not impressed me one bit so far.

Edited by Astat

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, not really. LP and DBS have different styles of lyrics. DBS is more straight-forward, get to the point lyrics, while LP has universal lyrics. DBS is more or less a concept album in itself explaining Chester's life. For example, the lyrics ''You kiss away all of my pain, you wash away these bloody stains, you are to blame, my suffering, you kiss away all of my pain, you wash away these bitter stings, you are to blame, my suffering'' are obviously about his prior drug addiction. Listen to ANY of the lyrics from any of the DBS songs so far and you will realize this. For a second, try to understand that this isn't LP, or really related to LP at all except for it's Chester's project. Don't compare anything to DBS to LP ever and you will have no problem. Don't compare it to FM either, because that is also different. Besides, what makes OSC or the DBS songs suck lyrically, just because you think so? I like the lyrics, therefore they do not suck. You don't like the lyrics, therefore they do suck. Opinions are opinions. What you think sucks may not suck to others.

Honestly, if you really dislike the DBS songs so much, then why even discuss them here? People are really tired of hearing about it here and the LPU. Seriously, does anything satisfy you? You have complained about everything LP has done since Meteora with the exception of the FM project. Obviously LP will not be going back to the HT/Meteora sound nor will FM come out with another album any time soon so honestly if you get these feelings about LP and DBS why are you here?????

So far, no dbs lyrics are that deep. Fire is the best lyrically for sure. I don't necessarily have an issue with it, but someone said that so far dbs has better lyrics than lp. I tend to think lp has pretty good lyrics to MOST of their songs.

So far, no dbs lyrics are that deep. Fire is the best lyrically for sure. I don't necessarily have an issue with it, but someone said that so far dbs has better lyrics than lp. I tend to think lp has pretty good lyrics to MOST of their songs.

I think LP is kind of hit and miss lyrically...the DBS stuff so far seems a lot more consistent. I'd take Fire over Numb lyrically any day, but LP's best stuff is still better than anything DBS has put out to this point.

I think LP is kind of hit and miss lyrically...the DBS stuff so far seems a lot more consistent. I'd take Fire over Numb lyrically any day, but LP's best stuff is still better than anything DBS has put out to this point.

Agreed.

Also, DBS studio stuff is way better than live lol. If people heard studio first and then live, they would prob. say they suck live or something lol

Another thing I want to mention...I just went back and watched the '08 live version for the first time in a while, and while I, like a lot of people, prefer the scream-y approach to the verses, the lyrics to that version sounded WAY under-developed, to the point that Chester didn't even sing anything for half of one of the verses. I'm kind of surprised he even performed it that way, because it obviously wasn't a finished song yet.

I think the '08 vocals were better, but the '09 lyrics are WAY better, and My Suffering is probably a better song overall that way.

Ever heard of Hybrid Theory and Meteora? Those albums are way more over-produced than anything DBS has released to this point. Meteora especially.

Pretty much all the drums on JK's studio recordings are programmed. It shows how badass Elias is that he's able to translate them into live drum parts though.

Little Sister and My Suffering are 2 out of probably thousands of songs that are built around a minor key I-V-iii-vii progression.

I also must be the only person who thinks the studio version destroys the live version (I feel that way about all 3 DBS songs released to this point). DBS live has not impressed me one bit so far.

Haha, I agree on Hybrid Theory and Meteora being overproduced. In my opinion a more raw approach would have been a better fit for this song though.

You're not the only one, I like this version far better. I think the screaming in the chorus sounds out of place in the live version, and I can't hear the double bass drum.

DBS live impressed me. They pretty much had whole crowds against them from beginning to end but they still rocked out. Also, Chester is ten times better live on these songs than he is on LP's.

I know a lot of songs uses this progression, but it's not only that. The start-stop rythm of the guitar throughout the verses is very similar to Little Sister. The 2009 melody of the verse is also very close. I liked the 08 version better, I never thought of Little Sister back then and the verses had so much more energy.

Haha, I agree on Hybrid Theory and Meteora being overproduced. In my opinion a more raw approach would have been a better fit for this song though.

You're not the only one, I like this version far better. I think the screaming in the chorus sounds out of place in the live version, and I can't hear the double bass drum.

DBS live impressed me. They pretty much had whole crowds against them from beginning to end but they still rocked out. Also, Chester is ten times better live on these songs than he is on LP's.

I know a lot of songs uses this progression, but it's not only that. The start-stop rythm of the guitar throughout the verses is very similar to Little Sister. The 2009 melody of the verse is also very close. I liked the 08 version better, I never thought of Little Sister back then and the verses had so much more energy.

If there's any complaint I have about DBS's production, it might be that the keyboards/synths are louder than they need to be a lot of the time. The kind of stuff Fu plays, from what I've heard so far, just sounds like it's supposed to be another layer of sound underneath everything else that's already there, so I don't see why he has to be so loud in the mix all the time.

As far as I know, Elias doesn't have a double bass pedal on his live drum kit, it must have been something they just did in the studio.

I agree Chester's better live on DBS stuff than LP stuff...he's better at pretty much anything that isn't LP, in fact. I'm starting to think that his vocal issues during LP performances are caused by some kind of mental block.

And the more I compare them, the more I'm starting to realize just how similar this song is to Little Sister. The choruses sound kind of similar too, the main difference is the arrangement with how Little Sister has a guitar solo in the middle and a long instrumental outro.

Just a thought ... I've never heard the studio version of Little Sister, only saw it live, so I can't say much about further similarities production-wise ... but could the mutilation of the verses of MS have something to do with the comparisons of the two songs that have come up over the past months? Could have been some kind of last-minute job, awful as it sounds, an attempt to take away from the similarities ...

Still I somehow enjoy the studio version, although I too prefer the live performances. Looking froward to the first properly mixed live b-sides (MS live is on the CBI single, right?).

I'm a bit disappointed they don't give us the '08 version, but to be honest I didn't think they would...

You didn't honestly expect them to give us the 08 version did you? That would be amazing, but I don't think it will ever see the light of day...

Just a thought ... I've never heard the studio version of Little Sister, only saw it live, so I can't say much about further similarities production-wise ... but could the mutilation of the verses of MS have something to do with the comparisons of the two songs that have come up over the past months? Could have been some kind of last-minute job, awful as it sounds, an attempt to take away from the similarities ...

Still I somehow enjoy the studio version, although I too prefer the live performances. Looking froward to the first properly mixed live b-sides (MS live is on the CBI single, right?).

The new verses sound WAY more similiar to Little Sister than the old ones. And nobody was comparing the song to Little Sister when all we had heard was the '08 version anyway.

The new verses sound WAY more similiar to Little Sister than the old ones. And nobody was comparing the song to Little Sister when all we had heard was the '08 version anyway.

That's correct of course; what I meant was the studio version compared to what we've heard live this year (as in overproduction of the verses, to distract from the similarities?).

But that's also really odd, that the previous version that we heard last year sounded a lot less similar to the Queens song; bad suggestions from a questionable source? *cough* producer *cough*