NME Interview

LESTAT

i lol'd^

Slipknot, Atreyu, Papa Roach, Shinedown and Linkin Park do put on good shows. Seen them all live first hand. For me boring bands live would have to be HIM. Jesus.

anyways. i really doubt theyd bring in Rick Rubin again. I liked Minutes To Midnight, for what it was, not because LP made it. I appreciated it from how different it sounded but it sounded a bit more technical then their other work. Same goes for New Divide.

and btw, i LOVE how i use +1 ONCE. And everyone starts saying it. Thats cool and all, but dont post that as a one word response. Spammers :)

So kiddies. Lets all play niceee. Or I'll turn the car right around =]

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i just wish lp would realize that songs with no climax like LOATR dont fit in with electric live performances, sure 1-3 slow songs can work but not half of the songs. And lets face it, chester aint that good live. I can deal with it, they are still awesome live.

i just wish lp would realize that songs with no climax like LOATR dont fit in with electric live performances, sure 1-3 slow songs can work but not half of the songs. And lets face it, chester aint that good live. I can deal with it, they are still awesome live.

Did you not hear him singing Faint on Monday night? Faint, Numb, In The End, and Bleed It Out were all great. Don't let New Divide's performance make you start generalizing. Chester has AMAZING ability as a singer.

I do agree with you though on the fact that if LP wants a performance to remember at Sonisphere they need to drop some of those songs.

Bullshit. I don't get what shadow of the day has to do with being good live. That song is magnificent in its own right. Being good live means singing properly and putting a show that will wake the dead.

Linkin Park is Linkin Park. Their songs, albums and live shows is what makes them Linkin Park. If you don't like them, then don't go see them. I don't care for Metallica and think they're over-rated along with their fans. I'm not going to go see them and whine and bitch to other people who are there to have a good time. That would make me stupid and immature.

Even if they played old songs, if you don't like Linkin Park, you'd still not like them regardless. Even if they play their old songs, not everyone will be happy. All they can do is please themselves first and it seems that the way they feel they can do this is to bring their A game and give a really good live performance. A horrible band can ruin a good song live.

I hope they play Shadow of the Day because that is a great song. Screw the assholes who think otherwise. All that matters is it's given the proper respect and performed great live.

A great live band is a band that makes you love a song even more than you already do with their performance of the song.

Linkin Park is capable of it if they wanted. They want to match Muse in their great live performance not match them in singing the same kind of songs. If you can't understand that, then you never will.

As for Rick Rubin, I'm surprised at the many fools who believe that Rick Rubin equals more M2M album and No Rick Rubin equals more hybrid Theory kind of album. I marvel at such tunnel vision. They ignore the fact that LP wanted to change their sound and wrote the songs they wanted and are responsible for changing their direction and have said in interviews that they don't want to and won't be making a new album that sounds like any of their previous album. You have to be stupid to keep spouting the same nonsense about Rick Rubin and LP and Sonisphere. Minutes to Midnight was an awesome album and Rick Rubin wasn't responsible for it. If they want to make another album like that, they will make another one like it Rick Rubin or not.

Producers get way too much credit than they deserve.

I do wonder though if some people find it easier to blame Rick Rubin for their disappointment in M2M instead of really looking the truth in the eyes that LP really wanted the change. It's either you're on board, or you're not. Stop spreading misery around. LP is well aware that some fans wouldn't like their new sound and are happy to move on with the rest of the fans who are. You should too. Although i wonder how much you really hated that album if you're still on here on a fan forum 2 years after its release.

HT was produced by Don Gilmore, Meteora too. MTM was produced by Rick Rubin, the new record too.

MTM wasn't a bad record. It was good but in my opinion the worst from this three. (Remember...it doesn't mean the album was bad!!) And now Rick Rubin again....

I think LP want to make a big show at sonisphere. And there will be many other fans from other bands....so if they want to kick some ass they better impress fans from other bands too. And I don't think they can do that with SOD, LOATR....

"you better show up with your kickass pants on"

But I have to admit that you're right in some points! good post...!

I give up peoples :P Mike already said that the producer was NOT going to be Rick Rubin. I am pretty sure he wouldn't go back on that.

I am 99.9% sure this article just assumed that the producer of the next album would be the same as the last one.

It's like everyone forgot all the past news posts we've posted of Mike saying how much different the new album will be. People, wake up before you post please. The new album will be different from the other albums.

did you ever realize that they always say the same? I will never trust those statements again until I hear the music.

And about Rick Rubin, I don't think he'll be the prducer as lots of people already said. anyway, it's still LP's job to wirte the music so stop fuckin around with Rick Rubin, pls.

I don't think LP is the best live act. They are really good and I love their concerts but if you consider a good live act as proper playing and singing there are way better bands (such as Alter Bridge, Myles Kennedy has amazing vocal-skills). And imo LP's live performances were better back in '04 and '06, but I would never blame MTM for it. I just felt more power while they played th songs. I hope they can really reach Chester's goals. They should start talking more to the crowd and stuff, there are a lot of things they could still improve so I'll see if Chester is right on 02.08 at Gräfenhainichen... ^^

did you ever realize that they always say the same? I will never trust those statements again until I hear the music.

I don't understand what you're saying. They said MtM would be different from the other two albums and it absolutely is. So what is it that you don't trust?

Please not Rick Rubin. I just think the interviewer assumed that's who they were in the studio with. There's no direct quote from Chester saying that.

Ding ding ding. We has winner. I do however remember Mike saying that they did already have a producer in line, but were waiting to announce it.

I wonder who it REALLY is.

Ok first thing is first. Rick Rubin or not it doesn't matter. I am a producer and engineer myself. And a band has the ultimate say in how an album sounds. A producer can suggest things, and he can guide but it's not his choice. If Linkin Park wanted something like X then they can make it like that. Rick had suggestions and helped Linkin Park guide what they wanted to do in the first place. They are all big boys and can think for themselves. Plus the only thing Rick Rubin has done really wrong is Death Magnetic, but that' sbecause the Metallica boys weren't around during the mixing process.

Linkin Park have made great albums each time. Whether or not you like songs like Shadow of The day, Leave Out All The Rest or Bleed It Out, the fact remains they are good numbers. Performed great vocally and musically, and a solid recording with strong production points. They are hits. And they proved to be. Whether or not someone calls it softer, or selling out, or whatever doesn't change the fact that it is a good song. It was written from experianes most likely and therefor is a piece of art. Just as Hybrid Theory and Meteora was. But Hybrid Theory and Meteora also went with the time period. Not just the musical time period, but also the times in thier lives. They were young, angry and embarking on a quest as a band with a new sound.

It's been done. And now they are trying new things and realizing that they can afford to really dive into themselves and dig as artists and expand and grow. New Divide proves that. I think no matter what people say (connect it to what I've done or whatever) it is a solid song. Great note progression, lyrics and music. And it is unique sounding. They are still Linkin Park. A Band based on breaking boundaries and making the unexpected. They don't dissapoint. (Though I do not like some songs, obviously no one is perfect.)

Ok first thing is first. Rick Rubin or not it doesn't matter. I am a producer and engineer myself. And a band has the ultimate say in how an album sounds. A producer can suggest things, and he can guide but it's not his choice. If Linkin Park wanted something like X then they can make it like that. Rick had suggestions and helped Linkin Park guide what they wanted to do in the first place. They are all big boys and can think for themselves. Plus the only thing Rick Rubin has done really wrong is Death Magnetic, but that' sbecause the Metallica boys weren't around during the mixing process.

Linkin Park have made great albums each time. Whether or not you like songs like Shadow of The day, Leave Out All The Rest or Bleed It Out, the fact remains they are good numbers. Performed great vocally and musically, and a solid recording with strong production points. They are hits. And they proved to be. Whether or not someone calls it softer, or selling out, or whatever doesn't change the fact that it is a good song. It was written from experianes most likely and therefor is a piece of art. Just as Hybrid Theory and Meteora was. But Hybrid Theory and Meteora also went with the time period. Not just the musical time period, but also the times in thier lives. They were young, angry and embarking on a quest as a band with a new sound.

It's been done. And now they are trying new things and realizing that they can afford to really dive into themselves and dig as artists and expand and grow. New Divide proves that. I think no matter what people say (connect it to what I've done or whatever) it is a solid song. Great note progression, lyrics and music. And it is unique sounding. They are still Linkin Park. A Band based on breaking boundaries and making the unexpected. They don't dissapoint. (Though I do not like some songs, obviously no one is perfect.)

Can HybridMeteora798 and Arbiter share that cookie? Co-LPLers of the day ftw.

Shadow of the Day? Waking the dead? Seriously? Hilarious

I enjoy your poking even though you very well know that i was not talking about shadow of the day but a general great live performance.

I guess you consider screaming vocal, loud bass, heavy guitar, as the equivalent to a good live performance. Now i find that hilarious. With those qualifications, i guess everyone with an instrument is capable of putting on a good live show.

Gone are the days when quality music regardless of it's sound and a kick-ass performance on stage makes a great live act.

Edited by arbiter

this is what i said in another thread *based on a comment regarding chesters vocals*...........

when you are actually there live at a performance. I don't expect to hear studio like vocals, guitars etc. I go there to see how the band wanted to express their music, and how they feel. So watching a live performance from youtube, people will tend to view it as a "studio" type performance. and will critique how the vocals sound

Sorry for off-topic but can anyone rip the new LPTV 'Creating "New Divide"' episode on LP's site? Cause its annoying me how i can't hear shit from the vid when there is the stupid music in the background that can never be turned off :(. B4 anyone says...its not on youtube atm, i know cause i checked a few times lol

Edited by LPKode2

I believe that LP does have the ability to become as good of a live band as muse if they certainly work for it, muse has some pretty slow songs too so I believe that even w/ songs like SOTD and LOATR, LP can still pull it off. Yes, we wud all love to hear some older stuff, and I'm hoping LP plays some of it this summer, but even without they can still be the best live band of the ERA.

Even if they do wind up working with Rick again, it's not like that means the next album is automatically going to be another MTM and that they won't do any heavy stuff. Rick's always been a guy that lets the band decide what direction they're going for, he just helps them capture it in the best way possible. He's produced some extremely heavy albums (Death Magnetic, most of System of a Down's stuff), and he's also produced stuff that's far softer than Minutes to Midnight.

I don't understand what you're saying. They said MtM would be different from the other two albums and it absolutely is. So what is it that you don't trust?

I'm not just speaking of LP ^^ It's like every band says that of their new albums: "Oh, it'll be something really different but amazing and you'll still know that it's typical XXXX".

Imo MTM didn't sound anything like typical Linkin Park. Now e heard it we say yeah that's LP-style but if you just look at the three albums it isn't.

That's why I never trust those statements regarding anything about the music before I heard the new music. Of course Mike says it will be different or do you think he'd ever say: "oh hm yeah, we're probably gonna write a MTM 2."

They didn't say that about Meteora as well so I think it's really hard to get anything reliable out of the statements....