From Zero - New Album out November 15

RogueSoul

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Killer interview! 

Liked how Joe said "When she screamed for the first time, I though, OK Mike, now we need to have a talk".  😀 Seems like it really happened in smooth long process.

Will be cool to get do discover Emily and Colin personalities through time.

Honestly, I do not get how this is all rainbows and butterflys for you guys. To begin with, I think the new song is great, I love her voice, she looks great and the guys seem to really like her. I was hoping for this band to continue and was all in for the idea of a female lead singer.

Now, with that said, I do not get why everyone is on a fence of adressing the elephant in the room or why some people even actively want people to shut up about it and just go away when in the outside world everyone is talking about it. You guys have been discussing every fart the band ever produced but you do not want to talk about the fact that there are SERIOUS allegations against the lead singer of your favorite band. These are not just some rumours made up on reddit, Emily is listed on Scientologys official web site and you have former scientologists talking about her defending a convicted rpst in court, and so do official sources of the cult itself. She even still follows the rpst on instagram which does not indicate this is in the past on first sight. 

Moreover, Scientology denies the existence of depression and is against psychiatry. Imagine, the lead singer of your band dies by suicide caused by serious depression and has also been a victim of SA himself and you let someone take his place that is not only part of a cult that opposes everything CB stand for but is also friends with a convicted rpst. This is insane and honestly, having my own history with these issues I am devastated. 

Now, I want to still be able to cherish the band and I know that in these cases it is hard to draw the line between victim and perpetrator and given the fact that she might have been born into this and I want to trust the integrity of the band, she still has some benefit of doubt for me.

But given the fact that now we do not only have all socials flooded with this stuff but also mainstream media (today the biggest german newspaper made a headline) covering this we NEED a Statement. 

I hope they have thought through this beforehand. With a bit of Interpretation the single could also be seen as dealing with this thing. But for now, I am honestly devastated. 

We all have different sensibilities and thresholds. I don't know much about Scientology, nor do I want to dive into it. Some genuinely good people may have outlandish believes - I will not agree with it and call it a day.  As long as they don't commit to shit behaviors themselves, it's none of my business to judge their moral ground or whatsoever. Chino from Deftones described it nicely when talking about Steph Carpenter, who among other things, is an anti-vax and flatearher. To those who don't know the person, that may trigger lots of negative, but when you actually know the guy, you'd know how how generous and trustworthy he is.

I think this stuff should not be discussed, because I find it unfair to speculate on the values and ethics of someone we don't know at all, based on some out-of-context stuff. Why this need to dive in that kind of thing anyway? What's the point? If the band feels she's good, I'll believe their judgement. They're the one to hang around with her, not us. 

1 minute ago, Qwerty18 said:

We all have different sensibilities and thresholds. I don't know much about Scientology, nor do I want to dive into it. Some genuinely good people may have outlandish believes - I will not agree with it and call it a day.  As long as they don't commit to shit behaviors themselves, it's none of my business to judge their moral ground or whatsoever. Chino from Deftones described it nicely when talking about Steph Carpenter, who among other things, is an anti-vax and flatearher. To those who don't know the person, that may trigger lots of negative, but when you actually know the guy, you'd know how how generous and trustworthy he is.

I think this stuff should not be discussed, because I find it unfair to speculate on the values and ethics of someone we don't know at all, based on some out-of-context stuff. Why this need to dive in that kind of thing anyway? What's the point? If the band feels she's good, I'll believe their judgement. They're the one to hang around with her, not us. 

Well said.

19 minutes ago, Xelawie said:

Honestly, I do not get how this is all rainbows and butterflys for you guys. To begin with, I think the new song is great, I love her voice, she looks great and the guys seem to really like her. I was hoping for this band to continue and was all in for the idea of a female lead singer.

Now, with that said, I do not get why everyone is on a fence of adressing the elephant in the room or why some people even actively want people to shut up about it and just go away when in the outside world everyone is talking about it. You guys have been discussing every fart the band ever produced but you do not want to talk about the fact that there are SERIOUS allegations against the lead singer of your favorite band. These are not just some rumours made up on reddit, Emily is listed on Scientologys official web site and you have former scientologists talking about her defending a convicted rpst in court, and so do official sources of the cult itself. She even still follows the rpst on instagram which does not indicate this is in the past on first sight. 

Moreover, Scientology denies the existence of depression and is against psychiatry. Imagine, the lead singer of your band dies by suicide caused by serious depression and has also been a victim of SA himself and you let someone take his place that is not only part of a cult that opposes everything CB stand for but is also friends with a convicted rpst. This is insane and honestly, having my own history with these issues I am devastated. 

Now, I want to still be able to cherish the band and I know that in these cases it is hard to draw the line between victim and perpetrator and given the fact that she might have been born into this and I want to trust the integrity of the band, she still has some benefit of doubt for me.

But given the fact that now we do not only have all socials flooded with this stuff but also mainstream media (today the biggest german newspaper made a headline) covering this we NEED a Statement. 

I hope they have thought through this beforehand. With a bit of Interpretation the single could also be seen as dealing with this thing. But for now, I am honestly devastated. 

I'd say let's not try to dive straight into controversies that are created by news outlets (and Reddit), until we hear statements from the band. It's not clear to what extent she's actually still involved with any of this.

1 minute ago, Xelawie said:

Now, with that said, I do not get why everyone is on a fence of adressing the elephant in the room

It was mostly discussed in the shoutbox and it didn't went as well as you would have expected from this community (it kinda derailed into cancel culture stuff) so at least I decided to not put my mental effort into an actual post about it so far.

I think it needs to be addressed somehow but the topic is so extremely complicated and I have absolutely no idea how the solution would look like. If she'd come out and confirm her Scientology affiliation, it would be a disaster. If she'd come out against Scientology, it would be a disaster for her since they would make her life hell. And everything in between? I don't know. How would that look like? I honestly have no idea how to nagivate out of this situation so I am also having a hard time discussing it. And that doesn't even consider the other allegation that is in the room. Currently the possible affiliation itself is nagging enough on me.

Purely musical wise I am so happy with everything. She is a great singer, she has a great presence, the band is pumped, the song is great, their performance was amazing etc. I have absolutely nothing to complain about.

But this whole situation is a huge problem for me right now and I have a very hard time to get a clear head about it. This is not some odd religious believe. Scientology is serious stuff.

I'll still go to the Hamburg show and hope that I will find some answers over time.

(can't wait for the first person to quote me and tell me that I just want to find any reason to see it fail etc.)

I think we need to face the likely possibility that it’ll just never be addressed by her or the band or the label and, eventually, we will all need to decide whether or not we’re ok with it being an unspoken and unseen thing. It’ll be up to the individual fans. Eventually, the people who are not ok with it will stop keeping up with the band and will no longer be a voice in the community, and a point will come where nobody really cares anymore.

Coizu summed up perfectly why it’s not likely she’ll come out as a proud Scientologist OR as a former Scientologist condemning the organization.

I can see her denouncing Masterson, and I can also see her supporting LP’s views towards mental healthcare. It’ll probably get to a point where we’ll have to read between the lines on whether or not her words and actions in 2024 align with those of an active Scientologist.

Edited by Justin

Okay, if you leave all the scientology stuff aside and I agree we do not know if she is still part of it.

Danny Masterson is a convicted rpst. He is in prison with a life sentence.She still follows the guy on instagram. 

How is that even possible with a band like LP. 

Like when I first read about the stuff I would check out her following because I doubted it to be true. You would at least expect she would try to do a little bit of effort of not making it too obvious. At least after a full day of shtstorm. Nope. 

Edited by Xelawie

You dont have shitty former friends who turned out to be fucking creeps after some time? Unfollowing means nothing. 

btw shitstorm day in Europe, its like 10 AM in LA. 

Edited by Bambitt

45 minutes ago, Qwerty18 said:

This.

50 minutes ago, Qwerty18 said:

🙌🏼

5 minutes ago, eyesburning said:

Can someone give some context how Scientology would make her life a living hell? I've even read murder or horrible things alike. How's that even possible in the US?

Leah Remini's a good example, as well as Cedric Zavala, both of whom are previous scientologists and involved to degrees with the Danny Masterson case - Leah as support to Cedric's wife, who was one of the victims. Both left the cult and both were harassed (likely still are) and such. Apparently the "scientologists killing pets of ppl who try to leave" is referring to Cedric's dog being poisoned.

Regarding her being involved with it, she was born into it and supposedly was one of the kids forced to work 14hrs 7 days a week, so she very well could be a victim and trying not to suffer at the hands of the cult. She's also openly gay which is not something the cult allows, so that could be a sign she's left it. Speculation until somebody confirms.

Re: the court case presence - I've seen she was only there during arraignment so it's possible she was blindsided. However, Cedric accused her of harassing his wife during the process, which is a serious accusation.

I think ppl on reddit and such want to just stir shit, but people here upset about it are worried about the implications of all this if it turns out she's actively supporting the cult as well as Masterson. If she still does, then supporting LP is supporting/ignoring the abuse that both those parties have committed to others, which is valid and enough of a reason to stop supporting a band. They're not our friends, they don't know us, we don't know them. If she comes out and apologizes and has shown remorse for her actions, then it's a different story as she can be given a chance to be better. If not, then people are not required to ignore actions/beliefs that they find reprehensible due her being tied to LP now.

The vast majority of LP fans are theistic religionists which make scientologists look like angels by comparison, but you don't speak against that because those religions are popular. You only speak against marginalized religions because you are conformist unprincipled hypocrites.

4 minutes ago, lpfirst said:

The vast majority of LP fans are theistic religionists which make scientologists look like angels by comparison, but you don't speak against that because those religions are popular. You only speak against marginalized religions because you are conformist unprincipled hypocrites.

Exactly, bashing scientology is fine but doing it in a vacuum is ignorant. It has objectively caused less harm than mainstream religions, and popular talking points apply to those mainstream religions as well. Everything I've seen people say about scientology here could be said about any religion, outside of the specifics of her friendship with one person. 

Assuming the religion of the people posting here is a wild move now.

I resigned from church and religion years ago and as far as I am concerned all religions can go away but I don't see how that is relevant anyway.

None of our western religions currently lock their own people away, intimidate, harass and abuse them only to cover each other up once someone speaks up about it.

Yeah, those things existed in the past, and also still exist in other parts of the world. So what am I supposed to do? Can one only criticize a religion (which as far as I am concerned Scientology isn't anyway) if I list all the other religions and their wrongdoing as well?

I said this before but not having a problem with someone being affiliated with Scientology is fine.

But coming in and actively defending or at least downplay Scientology must be the craziest thing I have ever witnessed on this forum.

7 minutes ago, Coizu said:

Assuming the religion of the people posting here is a wild move now.

I resigned from church and religion years ago and as far as I am concerned all religions can go away but I don't see how that is relevant anyway.

None of our western religions currently lock their own people away, intimidate, harass and abuse them only to cover each other up once someone speaks up about it.

Yeah, those things existed in the past, and also still exist in other parts of the world. So what am I supposed to do? Can one only criticize a religion (which as far as I am concerned Scientology isn't anyway) if I list all the other religions and their wrongdoing as well?

I said this before but not having a problem with someone being affiliated with Scientology is fine.

But coming in and actively defending or at least downplay Scientology must be the craziest thing I have ever witnessed on this forum.

It's whataboutism plain and simple. "Can't criticize this thing because what about other thing?". It adds no value and is only used to dismiss an argument instead of counter or address any point.

If she's distanced herself and isn't actively supporting the human trafficking and stuff, I wouldn't really hold the scientology stuff against her since I've seen how scary it can be to oppose them, especially for someone like her born into it. It's willlllddd to see scientology get defended. I wonder what Shelly Miscavige has to say about all this

2 minutes ago, JZLP-RoadsUntraveled said:

Technically when Emily & Colin became  official LP members?

My guess is around the time of Already Over for Emily. Given that Mike mentions Papercuts press for Rob, I bet Mike did the drums for the album and they brought in Collin slightly before practice/rehearsals

I’m kind of confused at people saying she doesn’t need to address this whole thing.

She replaces Chester as the singer who to0k his own life through mental health struggles and she was part of an organization that specifically says mental health isn’t actually a thing … she then also has had some kind of friendship with a convicted rap*st … which also has some pretty triggering parallels to Chester’s past.

Given the context of Chester’s death and everything LP stood for, I think it’s only fair we ask questions about this whole thing … we can’t just blindly accept in good faith that she’s changed her ways and support her without clarifying what her position is on all this?

1 hour ago, AParallelogramInTheSand said:

She's also openly gay which is not something the cult allows, so that could be a sign she's left it. Speculation until somebody confirms.

This is the first I'm seeing about her being openly gay, but along similar lines, the single (and presumably album) was mastered by Emerson Mancini, who openly identifies as a transman. For whatever that's worth in this particular context.

Edited by letdownagain

4 minutes ago, letdownagain said:

This is the first I'm seeing about her being openly gay, but along similar lines, the single (and presumably album) was mastered by Emerson Mancini, who...

... also mastered Post Traumatic and One More Light live