Phoenix: "I don't think we're done as a band. I think there's something on the horizon but I can't give you a timeline."

LPLStaff

Phoenix sat down with Audacy to discuss Meteora|20, Linkin Park, and more for the upcoming box set release. He touched on topics like "Krwlng" from Reanimation, the clothes he wore at the time of the Meteora era, and more.

One highlight of the interview was Phoenix addressing the future of Linkin Park and what he would like to see them do, saying:

"I think the elephant in the room is the band. "Are you guys going to do anything?" The shortest answer is, I think at some point we'll do... I want to do... shows, but the reality of that is I have no idea how or when that happens, like still. So, it's not a great answer, but it's the most honest one I can have as far as that goes. But I still love music and I still love playing."

He added, "I don't know, I don't think we're done as a band. I don't think we've said everything that we want to say, and the last bits of what we want to do. I think there's something on the horizon but I can't give you a timeline or timetable."

Check out the full interview here.

48 minutes ago, Nezumi86 said:

I'd be happy if they rename themselves back to Xero or Hybrid Theory and continue as a brand new band. Ask Mark whether he wants to rejoin, and crush the stage.

That would be the best decision. They can stay as LP but with Mark. But I don't think it will happen. He is ashamed to be on the stage.

Edited by Hybrider

2 hours ago, bloodbath said:

It's also rumored that they will do a club shows tour later that fall, but nothing is confirmed yet. 

Didn't Mike say that the tour is off the table? He said that the fans might expect something from LP but not touring. Where did you take this rumour from? I guess an EP or a single are more likely to come later this year.

1 hour ago, blackout said:

Didn't Mike say that the tour is off the table? He said that the fans might expect something from LP but not touring. Where did you take this rumour from? I guess an EP or a single are more likely to come later this year.

That’s an attempt of humor i supose, not to be taken seriously.

6 hours ago, JZ-GreyDaze said:

No one would give a shit about that.

I actually have to agree here.

Mike himself spoke of having trouble getting booked at certain venues or events because promoters know "Mike Shinoda" doesn't draw as many ticket sales as "Linkin Park" when lineups are announced, even though he was playing a few LP songs at his shows.

Most casual fans have never even heard the name Xero.

12 hours ago, Cesar656 said:

Pretty sure it will be Phoenix + Mike and maybe Joe, I dont see Brad or Rob wanting to keep on going

What makes you think that? Neither of them have given any indication that they were done.

I don't think Phoenix would've said that the band wasn't done if Brad, Rob, and Joe were out. He would know where they stand way better than any of us would.

They should go the route Alice In Chains went after Layne died. Bring in a new singer, yet, have Mike do lead vocals on all future music/albums with the new singer doing backgrounds vocals and harmonies. When the band plays the older songs live, the new singer will sing Chester's parts.

Yeah bringing in a new singer is their best route to continuing Linkin Park but turning to songwriters would be their best bet, they already had a 6 year hiatus and we have no idea what musical style they're going towards now. 

And those who ask Mark to return are obviously joking, I mean I hope they are. Thing is, One more light would've been their new foundation at getting back in the mainstream, they had a lot of scrapped collabs. but I don't think the band wants that anymore. Will they have a limp bizkit moment where when wes leaves and they make a killer album which they ultimately scrap for one of the worlds worst albums, or would it be like oasis which they all matured and  make their two last albums that is the pinnacle of everything they strive to achieve but has no revenue because let's be honest. If Chester was still alive people wouldn't give two shits about one more light or Linkin Park.

I mean they won, they just want to continue as long as it takes and I think like the band said, doing live shows are their best choice I mean seriously they're all middle aged now. Rock scene is only big enough for 2 bands and we all know which those are, and for people who want a new singer you should know the biggest pressure and weight would be on him. I'm wondering about the label to be honest, will they force Linkin Park or drop them. 

2 hours ago, Awalkinthelinkinpark said:

Yeah bringing in a new singer is their best route to continuing Linkin Park but turning to songwriters would be their best bet, they already had a 6 year hiatus and we have no idea what musical style they're going towards now. 

And those who ask Mark to return are obviously joking, I mean I hope they are. Thing is, One more light would've been their new foundation at getting back in the mainstream, they had a lot of scrapped collabs. but I don't think the band wants that anymore. Will they have a limp bizkit moment where when wes leaves and they make a killer album which they ultimately scrap for one of the worlds worst albums, or would it be like oasis which they all matured and  make their two last albums that is the pinnacle of everything they strive to achieve but has no revenue because let's be honest. If Chester was still alive people wouldn't give two shits about one more light or Linkin Park.

I mean they won, they just want to continue as long as it takes and I think like the band said, doing live shows are their best choice I mean seriously they're all middle aged now. Rock scene is only big enough for 2 bands and we all know which those are, and for people who want a new singer you should know the biggest pressure and weight would be on him. I'm wondering about the label to be honest, will they force Linkin Park or drop them. 

Interesting take, but in my opinion 2004 was the year that they were the biggest band in the world, it's the image that any person you ask randomly has of Linkin Park. 2007 onwards they were big, but not so much. I agree that OML was a conscious attempt to sit in the throne again, and if Chester hadn't killed himself they might have achieve that, but it's an eternal guessing name. LT was a false step, half of the record was commercially appealing and the other half too weird for not hardcore LP fans. Instead, following the ATS / THP was career suicidal.