Linkin Park - Lost | Out February 10, 2023

PeppePark

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard the song im blown away ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

-Meteora era Chester was his prime, fucking badass voice

-Are you guys crazy? This song has the Meteora DNA in every second Mike's rapping, power chords, scratching, synths, drumming

-It doesn't sound like any other song very different from Numb and ETR. Based on your comments I thought that it would sound like a mix of both songs but it isn't 

-Mike's parts weren't re recorded it is old school Shinoda

-The new mix is awesome I love that the bass sounds great and the power chords are loud

-I fucking love it but it still the #4 ballad of the Meteora sessions it isn't better than Numb, ETR or BTH

Edited by JZ-GreyDaze

Just gave it a shot... I think the only song you can "compare" this to is "Easier To Run" and, at least for me, Easier To Run is way better. This song doesnt fit Meteora at all, it gave me a Living Things vibe, not a bad song tho.

As for the Meteora tracklist, to be completely honest i really don't like From the inside, so i could see this song replacing From The Inside at least for me.

Fun fact, on the bridge, the song has some scratchs made using the same samplers from the very ending of "A Place For My Head" (I think the same sampler is used in By Myself and Session)

EDIT: And the first scratch is the same sampler used in "With You"

EDIT2: I thought this was going to be more emotional for me... I think listening to "Out of Ashes" album yesterday and being amazed how good Chester's voice is and how much i miss him just spoiled everthing lol

EDIT3 and the final one: Probably just me being crazy but, I think i know why they left this song out of meteora... Couple of reasons, first, the key thingy is just too simple, also its more commom in Hip Hop songs, they added a second key to make it more powerfull but the second key was not common in the Meteora era (i mean, we know LP likes to diversify the style since Xero but HT and MT were 90% tied by the label, this kinda of key only became common in Living Things, this is why i said it gave me LT vibes), It also gets in the way of the guitars. LP is all about post production so they added key 3 (also more Hip Hop/Living things style) and strings (similar to BTH), since Mr.Hahn was the last one he added scratches but even with all the post productuion, the song still feels, idk, simple.

Second, this song has a different construction compared to the entire album, it is: Intro, Verse 1, Chorus, Verse 2 Reduced, Chorus, Bridge, Bridge 2 mixed with Chorus and Chorus again), i can't remeber any Meteora song having similar construction.  Hybrid Theory and Meteora are 90% comercial radio albums, so all songs follow the same construction, Intro, Verse 1, Chorus, Verse 2, Chorus, Bridge and Chorus, the only song that doesnt follow this structure is Easier to Run (Intro, Chorus, Verse 1, Chorus, Verse 2, Chorus, Brigde, Chorus). This is why i said "90%, because of Easier To Run and Session/Foreword). This kinda structure make the song repetitive, so that's probably the reason.

Edited by bruh009

Reddit Majority - WTF? This is absolutely a Meteora style song! Sounds nothing like LIVING THINGS! Should have been on the album! *downvotes*

LPL Majority - Yeah you’re right, it sounds a bit like a LIVING THINGS style track. Good song, can see why they left it off though.

Let’s not make this a thing lol.

I’ll say this: If you played me this song without telling me what era it was, I would probably guess Meteora just because of the overall sound. I can hear the LT comparisons but that only makes sense since…. It’s Linkin Park and they made both albums!

Every song that made it onto Meteora, and every other album they’ve made, has its place. I saw some people saying they should’ve dropped Nobody’s Listening or Session or Easier to Run to make room for Lost, but obviously there’s a reason that didn’t happen and there’s a reason those songs DID make it. We know how the band works. They vote on everything. It’s not like they forgot this song existed when they were finalizing Meteora’s tracklisting.

Wow. I just wanna appreciate how we finally got this song after all these years.

I definitely get the Living Things vibe everyone else mentioned. The samples and keyboards made it sound like a LPU demo we might have gotten. Like So Far Away, I feel like this was a song before its time.

While it is enjoyable, I do see how it got voted off the final tracklist. It reminds me of Phoenix's quote from the dvd "we wrote our sophomore album...and then we just junked it." 

Ultimately, this makes me so angry that they went all these years doing only live songs and remixes as b-sides for the singles. I would've preferred more stuff like this than Burn It Down remix number 10. But it is what it is. I'm just thankful we get this stuff now, and I can't wait to preorder the deluxe set!

This was actually pretty dope. I loved the song. It's wild that they sat on a demo like this for so long, though i get why they didn't put it onto Meteora. 

2 minutes ago, rsw2010 said:

While it is enjoyable, I do see how it got voted off the final tracklist. It reminds me of Phoenix's quote from the dvd "we wrote our sophomore album...and then we just junked it." 

I def can see this - still so happy we got this.

After a few listens, the way I would describe how I feel is "intrigued." Kind of hard to place my feelings - it's really great to hear any unreleased Chester vocals, and he's in great form here, of course. Maybe it's the novelty of this song being unreleased, but something feels a little more experimental than the "softer" songs that made the cut for Meteora - I can maybe picture this in the track list, but as it stands, I wouldn't sub anything out for it. Think the band made the right call leaving this one off.

It does make me wonder, though, why they never issued any of these proper b-sides on the singles. I know the practice was already falling out of favor by 2003, but were they really going to just leave these in the vault forever?

In any case, it's just really great to hear this at all. I can't wait for the rest.

12 minutes ago, Justin said:

Every song that made it onto Meteora, and every other album they’ve made, has its place. I saw some people saying they should’ve dropped Nobody’s Listening or Session or Easier to Run to make room for Lost, but obviously there’s a reason that didn’t happen and there’s a reason those songs DID make it. We know how the band works. They vote on everything. It’s not like they forgot this song existed when they were finalizing Meteora’s tracklisting.

I agree here. I can see why Lost or She Couldn't didn't make the cut or fit the albums, same with Primo. To me the only true bonafide mistake LP made is leaving No Roads Left off that album. Besides Mike not wanting to sing that song live every show, I don't know how you could justify omitting it.

I loved the new song, every new song that is released always hits hard (nostalgia), but getting back to the track, to me some riffs feel like familiar to Numb, its like a song that fits between Meteora and MTM era transition. I hope we get more full songs with Chester vocals on the anniversary release, they can keep releasing anniversary bundles for the following albums for years to come and as long as they have new unreleased songs count me in. 

4 minutes ago, gorast said:

After a few listens, the way I would describe how I feel is "intrigued." Kind of hard to place my feelings - it's really great to hear any unreleased Chester vocals, and he's in great form here, of course. Maybe it's the novelty of this song being unreleased, but something feels a little more experimental than the "softer" songs that made the cut for Meteora

I have the same exact feeling. Very B-sidey, a little unpolished. To me even though it's a full song it feels a bit closer to Debris than say Numb. 

18 minutes ago, linkindan said:

Lost (2002 Mix) is confirmed to be on the Deluxe CD set, with Live Rarities and LPU Rarities 2.0

Seems it’s just mixed by Andy Wallace, not a different lyrical take

Source: https://store.warnermusic.com.au/artists/linkin-park/meteora-20th-anniversary-edition-deluxe-cd

This is my biggest question. Is it possible it'll sound different? None of the others list the "2002 Mix" in the track list. I'd double dip if it's different enough.

This song is In The End 2.0

I tried so hard/I tried to keep this pain - I thought he will sing In The End. Guitar chords are the same, just different lyrics, melody and synths. Definitely a typical Meteora song. This has nothing to do with Living Things. Just one person sayed this and other sheeps repeats after him. LT is boring electronic shit and is nowhere near perfection of this song.

Edited by Hybrider

3 minutes ago, xcursedgravex said:

This is my biggest question. Is it possible it'll sound different? None of the others list the "2002 Mix" in the track list. I'd double dip if it's different enough.

100% it will.

The band sent Leave Out All The Rest and I think No Roads Left (I’m sure someone will correct me on that if I’m wrong) to a bunch of mixers and everyone said the same mixes were exceptional - both were by Neal Avron. The mixing on The Hunting Party isn’t great and the guitars on BURN IT DOWN are almost bland compared to what’s being played

2 minutes ago, linkindan said:

100% it will.

The band sent Leave Out All The Rest and I think No Roads Left (I’m sure someone will correct me on that if I’m wrong) to a bunch of mixers and everyone said the same mixes were exceptional - both were by Neal Avron. The mixing on The Hunting Party isn’t great and the guitars on BURN IT DOWN are almost bland compared to what’s being played

I try to be a completionist so I'll probably double dip. Between the super deluxe, the cd deluxe and maybe the skate deck my wife probably won't be too happy 😄