A Look Into the Scrapped Hybrid Theory Remixes

LPLStaff

Boy, what is a News Thread these days? This isn't Twitter, is it? Is thing even on?

Remember nearly two years ago, in January 2021, when Linkin Park released a 100gecs remix of 'One Step Closer'? At the time, Mike said, “Part of the spirit of Reanimation was to take the Hybrid Theory songs that people knew so well, and let innovative artists flip them in ways nobody expected… I think 100 gecs did exactly that.” Press at the time reported that more remixes were on the way for the project. 

A new article by Metal Injection says that the band Polyphia had remixed the song 'With You' for this project: 

"During a recent episode of Amoeba Records' What's In My Bag? series, Polyphia guitarist Tim Henson picks up a copy of the 20th anniversary Hybrid Theory CD and reveals the existence of the remix. As of now the remix remains unreleased, but man – now we wanna hear it!"

"I can say this because this is out," said Henson as transcribed by Metal Injection. "This is the 20th anniversary [edition I'm holding]. So last year they had contacted us to remix one of the songs on here and we remixed 'With You.' It's a fucking crazy remix, it's an insane remix and it was supposed to be us, 100 gecs, Brockhampton, and a bunch of people. It was for the 20th anniversary and then they just canned the idea after we had turned in a fully mixed and mastered, incredible song."

Tim Henson indicates the remixes may have been a part of the Hybrid Theory 20 box set, something we have not heard until this interview if that is indeed true. If so, not only was that idea scrapped, but the entire project itself was scrapped and no more remixes have surfaced. The remixes may have been intended to be a part of a Reanimation series throughout 2021, since the first remix was actually released in January 2021. Read the full article here.

In August 2020, Mike worked on a Twitch jam under the theme "anime prog metal video game theme" with an idea to do prog rock in the style of Polyphia, Periphery, Incubus, and more.

In February 2021, we did an article about Mike saying more Hybrid Theory remixes were on the way.

"Talking to The Needle Drop, Mike explained that he was having conversations with Warner, who brought the idea up to him to have artists do Reanimation-style remixes to continue the celebration of Hybrid Theory 20 this year. Mike liked the idea but wanted artists who were super creative and not artists who would just make some generic pop remixes of the album's songs.

Along with 100 Gecs, Mike mentioned that he'd been having conversations about umru, Kero Kero Bonito, and Blood Orange. He added that some of the remixes worked out while others didn't, so we will have to see what Linkin Park ends up releasing.

In addition, Mike seems to have been working on a 'Papercut' remix himself."

It's no secret that the 'One Step Closer' remix by 100 gecs was pretty unpopular with a wide portion of the Linkin Park fanbase, but when has Linkin Park ever gone with the mold? It is almost guaranteed some of these other remixes are quite good.

This is the first time we are hearing of Brockhampton in the mix, with umru, Kero Kero Bonito, and Blood Orange. Additionally, Mike also mentioned on Twitch around this time that he thought 'Crawling' would work well with a female vocalist in a "stripped down" style... whether that was actually done or not is unknown.

Unfortunately, no more remixes have been released and this is another project that has been shelved by Linkin Park. Maybe for Hybrid Theory's 25th or 30th anniversary we will see more of the remixes.

I get that, as fans, we aren't owed anything from the band or management. Still, though, it seems odd that there's never been an official update on these remixes. Even if the update is "Sorry guys, after some reflection we've decided to put the release of any further HT remixes on hold indefinitely," would have worked. It would still be disappointing, but it would be something to keep us informed.

It feels weird to be told to expect more remixes to be on the way and then complete silence for nearly two years, leaving us to say "I guess the project was scrapped?"

How many projects have they actually completed? I swear it feels like all of them are either scrapped or just never finish.

Talking of remixes, I honestly would prefer if they release the entries for Reanimation. I think those would be very interesting. Maybe they didn't make the cut because they were good but not better than the released song, as Reanimation had only one remix of each song.

On 11/12/2022 at 7:52 PM, RYG4R said:

or...

The Hybrid Theory Remixes was scrapped because of Meteora Remixes for 20th Anniversary is coming next March. Who knows. Just a guess. 

They wouldn't scrap a project for something else that's coming two years later. lol

Didn’t Mike say that the band and label had to basically be convinced that people would care about HT20? Then they still didn’t make enough box sets and were surprised that the initial batch sold out almost instantly?

If that’s their opinion on Hybrid Theory, I wouldn’t count on a Meteora box set at all. Probably just M20 merch.

18 minutes ago, Justin said:

Didn’t Mike say that the band and label had to basically be convinced that people would care about HT20? Then they still didn’t make enough box sets and were surprised that the initial batch sold out almost instantly?

If that’s their opinion on Hybrid Theory, I wouldn’t count on a Meteora box set at all. Probably just M20 merch.

Mike himself didn't think the 20th anniversary of Hybrid Theory was a big deal and had to be convinced by the management / label to do the box set. When they finally did, they all underestimated how many it would sell.

Same thing happened with the remix project, someone from the label came up with the idea but Mike didn't want to do it at first:

https://linkinpedia.com/index.php?title=List_Of_Unreleased_Songs#Hybrid_Theory_20th_Anniversary_Remixes

This is why I'm not hopeful about a Meteora 20th anniversary edition next year. There seems to be no interest from Linkin Park themselves.

I understand.

I think it’s sad that there isn’t much interest from the band, especially considering the lack of any new material for the last 5 years with no end to that in sight.

Of course it’s up to the band if and how they choose to proceed in the future. 100%. I just wish they would be more willing to celebrate their past with the upcoming 20th anniversary releases in the meantime.

I know Mike has said many times that he doesn’t want LP to become a nostalgia act, but I think there’s a middle ground there. HT20 wasn’t some kind of a concession to becoming a nostalgia act, it was a celebration of a huge milestone for a record that was and is still important to so many people.

The 20th and 50th anniversaries of albums seem to be the industry standard for the biggest anniversary recognitions.

As you said, these are important anniversaries to celebrate, as the industry does with artists
I've been following these releases 20th Ht, last year Metallica with Blacks Album 30th, nirvana with nevermind, queen with the miracle 30th and last week guns n roses with the use your illusion edition with the Bluray Show at the Ritz 91' which is an incredible show.

I dare say that as the HT was a milestone for a generation, most likely a more complete box will happen on the 30th of the HT, it is still far away, but it is necessary.

we've been talking about meteora 20th for a few months now and i think the album deserves something to celebrate, it doesn't have to be a box set but a remastered cd + bonus demo cd or DVD/Bluray with an unreleased concert.
i think meteora deserves more than just merch.
but unfortunately the band doesn't think much about celebrating these things with the fans, it's up to WB to convince them since the fans can't.

Hybrid Theory 20 was announced in August for an October release date. If we're getting anything like it for Meteora we should know by the end of January I think. It honestly seems like Mike has moved on from Linkin Park so who knows if we get anything.

Edited by leftshoe18

20 hours ago, leftshoe18 said:

Hybrid Theory 20 was announced in August for an October release date. If we're getting anything like it for Meteora we should know by the end of January I think. It honestly seems like Mike has moved on from Linkin Park so who knows if we get anything.

I thought we got the announcement about the HT20 boxset around mid-August.

Maybe we'll get the announcement about the M20 boxset around mid-January. Who knows.

Edited by NJPLP

14 hours ago, Scourge said:

kero kero bonito's been one of my favorite bands for the last few years. i'm CRUSHED !!!!!!!!!!!

Kero Kero Bonito is one of the best band names i've ever seen.

In portuguese it may mean "pretty Kero Kero" (a kind of bird, southern lapwing i guess is how you call it in english) 

The bird's real name is Quero-Quero, but Kero Kero has the exact same pronunciation. 

Don't know if it was the intention, but i like it a lot.

On 11/28/2022 at 6:27 AM, YRQRM0 said:

Didn't we also get a snipped of a My December remix in some video that never got released?

Are you talking about the cinematic version that was used for the game awards? That was never announced for an official release or anything else like that. I was always convinced that it was just put together for the game awards show.