Mike Q&A Summary 6/16/2020

LPLStaff

Tuesday, June 16th! We're at it again with another Mike Q&A as Mike raised question redemptions to 750 Shinodabucks.

- "I imagine you being disappointed about What Are You Worth leaking, but would you consider reworking it in the future sets?" -> "What Are You Worth was a song that we worked on for One More Light and I wasn't... I only get bummed out when people leak songs because when it's an unfinished and it's like somebody else just doing it for, I don't know. I feel like if I make a song with somebody and it doesn't work out, like they're welcome to do what they want with their part of it but don't do what you want with my part of it. I think that's rude, I think that's really not awesome. That part of it sucks. If you're a music maker and that situation goes on where you make a song with somebody and they don't want to put it out, I'd say be respectful of their contribution on the song. Otherwise, you shut the door on working with them again. Right? But I guess that makes sense, it's not a big deal... it's a small deal. No, I didn't really love the song personally, I thought it was ok so I wouldn't really want to rework it or anything."

- "Would you collab with Holly Brook/Skylar Grey?" -> "Yeah we don't really talk to Skylar Grey anymore so that would seem weird."

Someone asked for the second stream in a row about the Given Up bridge and Chester's scream. "It wasn't planned, he was just trying to scream that part over the right amount of time and he just felt like doing one that was so aggro and he just kept going way too long. He just screamed over the top of the chorus going back in and that's what it was."

- "What was the concept of the Post Traumatic video that got lost?" -> "That's the Hold It Together video. Some of you were coming to the shows and some of you saw us filming the video and we got so much of it done. We had this whole scene... it was this whole idea partially inspired by the Missy Elliot videos from the early 2000s, it was Hype Williams, he did all of these weird, jittery things. I was doing it in reverse, some of them we were doing takes in fast forward. I had memorized the chorus in reverse and I did this whole thing where set up this shot, we had multiple cameras shot, handheld, it was on stage and I did this whole thing where I came to the stage. So at the end of the show, the show's over, crowd's there. Then I leave the stage and then from off stage they all get in position and we did this whole choreographed thing with like streamers and lights and I don't remember what else, and me walking backwards to the stage. Played in reverse it was SO cool because I was talking to the camera and then I was doing the words and I finished on the stage. Then the streamers went back into the things, like the poppers went in. It was great, we couldn't believe it, we had one take to get it right and we got it. And then at the end of the tour the hard drive was accidentally confiscated by the airport police. We believe. We believe that what happened is that it was in Chady's bag and then all of a sudden it wasn't, and it was his mistake to not back it up. So.... it sucks. And that was just one of the scenes, we had done a bunch of scenes with the crew. And you can't recreate those moments. It's not possible. So, that's a bummer."

- "Do you remember when someone threw a bra and it landed on your microphone?" -> "Yes I do remember that, because I saw the video later. That was a really long time ago, huh? Oh my god that was so awkward. We were on like all of these metal shows, and everyone was so tough and cool and shit. And we were so locked into our music. Somebody, PeppePark... Sweden 2007, June 26th at 7:38pm is when it happened."

I can totally understand his feelings about the demo leaks...like, as an artist you don’t want the world to hear something unfinished or that you are not satisfied about. I didn’t listen to the song but many of you said that it sounded more like a LT demo 

Some casual fans probably don't know about that complicated history and just know that she worked with Mike during TRT era of Fort Minor.

I don't think the issues have ever been publicly acknowledged by either party (I could be wrong). She was asked about Mike on a Reddit AMA before and she just said Mike was cool, but yeah I think there was some animosity between her and the label.

Edited by Justin

13 hours ago, Justin said:

Some casual fans probably don't know about that complicated history and just know that she worked with Mike during TRT era of Fort Minor.

I don't think the issues have ever been publicly acknowledged by either party (I could be wrong). She was asked about Mike on a Reddit AMA before and she just said Mike was cool, but yeah I think there was some animosity between her and the label.

Wasn't it that the label didn't really support her anymore? And she felt betrayed by them and somehow by Brad?

9 hours ago, PizzaPino said:

Wasn't it that the label didn't really support her anymore? And she felt betrayed by them and somehow by Brad?

I don't know about Brad, but I always thought it was similar to what happened between Mike and SOB, where they were upset at Mike for not using his perceived clout with the label to get their way.

9 hours ago, PizzaPino said:

Linkin Park signed a bunch of artists to their label Machine Shop Recordings which was owned by Warner. Warner decided to fuck Machine Shop and this fucked the artists signed to the label. The artists blamed Mike.

6 minutes ago, JZLP-AmendsUltimateFan said:

Mike dropped the ball

None of the artists that he signed became successful 

How is that his fault though? He got their foot in the door by signing them in the first place.

19 minutes ago, graveguard said:

How the hell is Skylar Grey not successful?

Skylar Grey is successful because of Alex da Kid, Dr Dre and Eminem, Skylar Grey is not associated w Mike in any form. 

Holly Brook's career under Machine Shop was a failure, do some research. 

Edited by JZLP-AmendsUltimateFan

12 minutes ago, graveguard said:

How the hell is Skylar Grey not successful?

Well she got famous as Skylar Grey not Holly Brook and thanks to Eminem not to Mike or Machine Shop.

Lets be real besides the LPU albums Machine Shop haven't doing much in terms of selling albums or singed bands, both Simplistic and The Rosewood Fall hit a hard wall after getting signed on Machine Shop and basically broke up after that

Mike said ages ago, Iike a decade, Machine Shop was not going to continue signing artists. Because they couldn’t agree with WBR on releasing stuff etc. 

Mike absolutely deserves some credit for Skylar. Not all, but some. Alex too. Everyone knew the girl because WYG exploded globally. She changed her name and Alex had known her from WYG, and helped her launch it. Her music now is absolutely abysmal but she is successful at least. 

1 hour ago, JZLP-AmendsUltimateFan said:

Holly Brook's career under Machine Shop was a failure, do some research. 

You wrote "None of the artists that he signed became successful" which on its own is not true. I've never argued that she got successful because of Mike, but you also never said "None became successful through Machine Shop".

Edited by graveguard

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 1:26 AM, hahninator said:

Mike absolutely deserves some credit for Skylar. Not all, but some. Alex too. Everyone knew the girl because WYG exploded globally. She changed her name and Alex had known her from WYG, and helped her launch it.

That's not entirely true. She signed a deal with UMPG before signing with Machine Shop, and after the MS thing fell apart she went to her UMPG publisher in late 2009/early 2010 and asked her to get her connected with a producer & try to have a comeback in the music industry as none of the other jobs she tried worked, she had to make music work. Her publisher connected her with Alex and you can even see the e-mails in a very recent video she uploaded on Tik Tok. WYG was simply the cherry on the top, but it was not the reason she was connected with Alex, because she also didn't write that hook and she was connected with him as a songwriter. He never even mentioned WYG before when talking about his story with Skylar.

On 6/19/2020 at 1:26 AM, hahninator said:

Her music now is absolutely abysmal but she is successful at least. 

IMO, her music became much better. Her voice improved dramatically and she's been experimental with her music ever since, creating songs in almost every genre. (except the 2013 album Don't Look Down which she doesn't like as this is not the type of music she listens to and she stated that it was forced by Interscope) Her current music is a breath of fresh air as it's always exciting - you never know what genre she's releasing her music in. For example, she released a folk EP last year (which she plans to expand on later) and now she's doing hip hop/RnB. She's a very interesting and eclectic artist. And as noted by many critics recently, she doesn't give two shits about radio play or commercial success. She literally left Interscope just to release a folk EP because they wanted her to do a pop album instead. She's doing whatever the hell she wants right now.

Edited by Omaruz