Hybrid Theory 20th Anniversary Release

LPLStaff

Mike Shinoda was a guest on the AWOLNATION Instagram Live on May 6th. He mentioned that Linkin Park will be celebrating the 20th anniversary of Hybrid Theory with a release this year.

He said, "This year is the 20 year anniversary of Hybrid Theory. And we are doing a release for it and a celebration for it with the band and the fans. All of us have had to go back and watch stuff from that era. It is the cringiest stuff... I can't believe the things we were saying between songs. I was like "who is this guy?" Chester was talking like a wrestler, it was insane. I remember talking to Chester four or five years ago and we would argue about who was the most embarrassing person. But at the time, that was the shit. That's what we did."

Mike told a great story about the band starting as Xero. He said, "I loved the drums so much growing up, just listening to them. The reason that I got to know the Linkin Park guys because in high school I was really good friends... I started it with my friend Mark and we were both in art class together every day, we hung out outside of school all the time. I always gave him rap recommendations. He was in a band with these other guys from school (Relative Degree) that I didn't really know, and the drummer was from another school. And I would literally go watch them practice just to watch the drummer play. And then that ended up being Rob and our guitarist Brad. Eventually it was Mark on vocals but that didn't work out and we parted ways and found Chester. People always think "wouldn't suck to be the guy that didn't make it Linkin Park?" but he's a successful music manager and a good friend of mine."

The chat was full of a lot of interesting material and is worth a watch even though it's an hour. Mike talked about when Minutes to Midnight came out, the band wasn't too keen on playing the songs from Hybrid Theory and Meteora live anymore since they had been played a million times, but they didn't actually hate the songs so they did play them, but they just focused on all of the MTM material in the setlists instead.

He said when Linkin Park toured with Deftones in March 2001, Hybrid Theory was selling extremely well and it made the Deftones mad because White Pony wasn't selling as well. White Pony at the time was supposed to be a huge album. The Deftones guys were pretty rude to Linkin Park for years because LP took off so successfully commercially and Deftones had come well before Linkin Park time-wise, but Chino later apologized to Mike years down the road... now they are good friends as we know.

In between stories, Mike talked about scheduling a daily routine for him on quarantine, making plans to do stuff at different times of the day. And he is teaching his kids about cyber bullying as well.

Another good story is about Projekt Revolution 2007. Mike says the band felt rusty from not doing much touring in 2005-2006, even by the time Projekt Revolution 2007 came around since it was their first U.S. headlining tour in three years. They picked My Chemical Romance as direct support and Mike watched their first show from the side of the stage. He was completely blown away at how good they were and immediately told Chester to go watch their show the second night and that Linkin Park needed to step it up immediately or they "were going to be the second best band on their own bill." Mike thought Linkin Park's first show of that tour in Auburn, WA was like a "B" average but not great. So at the second show in Wheatland, CA, Chester watched part of MCR on the side of the stage then went backstage to see Mike and was pretty mad about how good MCR was, saying "I want to fucking destroy those guys." Mike says that Linkin Park played an amazing second show ("we were nails that night, we were the best band we could be that night") and put a lot of effort and energy into the show. After the show, Gerard from MCR told Mike after watching the LP set that night and said, "I was scared of you guys, you showed me what a real career, veteran band looks like on stage."

We'll link those shows below from Projekt Revolution!

There are no details yet about Hybrid Theory but stay tuned as this is shaping up to be a good year for the fanbase! Mike will be releasing his "Open Door" single featuring fans very soon, and releasing a CoronaJams record on digital streaming services.

Buckle up, because we're in for a ride the rest of 2020.

Here is night one from Projekt Revolution 2007 when Mike said Linkin Park was a "B" average but fans have come to regard this show as a pretty epic performance:

And here is night two when Mike said Linkin Park was absolutely epic:

Enjoy!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's to hoping that we're getting at least one reunion supershow.

In a situation like this, it would be kind of cool to have guest singers in rotation like they did for the Chester memorial show.

1 hour ago, mazoku said:

Here's to hoping that we're getting at least one reunion supershow.

In a situation like this, it would be kind of cool to have guest singers in rotation like they did for the Chester memorial show.

What reunion? They've been working on a new music so they're going to play shows again. Phoenix said they're not done. Or do you mean just Hybrid Theory show with multiple singers? Sorry I'm a little bit confused.

Edited by FromTheInside

5 minutes ago, FromTheInside said:

What reunion? They've been working on a new music so they're going to play shows again. Phoenix said they're not done. Or do you mean just Hybrid Theory show with multiple singers? Sorry I'm a little bit confused.

Exactly that. A one-off Hybrid Theory Anniversary show with a variety of singers.

Obviously it's awesome that they are working on new stuff, but I think I would rather have a special Hybrid Theory show with guests over nothing at all, especially since the band might not have settled on exactly what the future looks like singer-wise yet.

4 minutes ago, Hybridtheory said:

in my opinion I think they will launch a box of Hybrid theory with CDs, Vinyl, and DVD's of exclusive shows between 2000-2002

just like metallica is re-releasing the albums in a special box

That would be amazing.

It would be awesome if they did a hardcover book with some unreleased photos/artwork and details about the writing and production of each track. The Beatles did that a few years ago for 3 of their albums as the 50th anniversary of each one came around. If they had unreleased photos and details for albums from 50 years ago, I'm sure LP does for Hybrid Theory lol.

8 hours ago, Justin said:

That would be amazing.

It would be awesome if they did a hardcover book with some unreleased photos/artwork and details about the writing and production of each track. The Beatles did that a few years ago for 3 of their albums as the 50th anniversary of each one came around. If they had unreleased photos and details for albums from 50 years ago, I'm sure LP does for Hybrid Theory lol.

exactly, it would be amazing
a making of in book format, vinyl special, CDs about 4 exclusive show DVDs and Pro Shot between 2000-2002

I know, I know I'm dreaming a lot lol

but it would be a possibility and I'm sure millions of fans would buy this, I'm one of them ❤️☺️

we can only wait for new information and hope to be something great like that

Imho a boxset with a record, CD and hardcover book with unreleased photos + a history would be enough! Can't wait.

Based on what's currently going on, I predict the price would be somewhere around $120-$150 for a boxset. If it's not what we think it would be, a CD/DVD would be cool too. $40

All of the above are only our ideas. I really think this would be a 2LP colored record set. HT on one, demos on second.

Edited by michalangelo

34 minutes ago, xeroboi said:

Just hope it on spotify

Surely it will be available on Spotify. Just like how Metallica did. 

9 minutes ago, Vinescence said:

Second that. Also hope whatever they release isn't like 1000 exclusive copies

Since "Hybrid Theory" is masterpiece album, it won't be 1000 exclusive copies. But, the limited edition/bundles might have limited copies.

Are we not talking about the print from Mike's screen in one of those lives?

There was a folder called "master revision" or something like that. And some HT and Xero songs there... including even 3 new ones (one of them labeled PB_2020edit... possibly pictureboard)

3 hours ago, Vinescence said:

Second that. Also hope whatever they release isn't like 1000 exclusive copies

With something as big as HT, I doubt WB would intentionally limit themselves to 1,000 sales.

Once this release is properly announced, I expect a promo campaign the likes of which we haven’t seen in a long time. HT is a diamond certified album. This release will

be bought by hardcore fans, casual fans, and even lapsed fans who checked out after Meteora. This is going to be huge.

Edited by Justin

My dream release

CD 1: HT Remastered w Bonus tracks (MD / HV) 

CD 2: Unreleased demos 

CD 3: HT live (only 2000/ 2002 shows )

Blu-ray with a documentary & Docklands 2001 full

🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩

Stop saying DVD it's fucking 2020 right now not 2004 DVD's quality is fucking awful 

9 minutes ago, JZLP said:

My dream release

CD 1: HT Remastered w Bonus tracks (MD / HV) 

CD 2: Unreleased demos 

CD 3: HT live (only 2000/ 2002 shows )

Blu-ray with a documentary & Docklands 2001 full

🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩

Stop saying DVD it's fucking 2020 right now not 2004 DVD's quality is fucking awful 

A proper documentary that covers, in-depth, from the origins of the band all the way to HT being released and being the massive success that it was would be amazing.

The one thing they have never released from that era that would be cool to see is them in the studio recording some songs. In the End, Papercut, etc vocal sessions, guitar tracking, anything. Did they think at that time to film that stuff? Or only Meteora onwards?

22 minutes ago, Hahninator said:

The one thing they have never released from that era that would be cool to see is them in the studio recording some songs. In the End, Papercut, etc vocal sessions, guitar tracking, anything. Did they think at that time to film that stuff? Or only Meteora onwards?

if i'm not mistaken, they do shot behind-the-scene but maybe it's not much as the other album forward. Example: there's a shot where Mike & Chester recording vocals for "Points of Authority" in the recording booth. I'm sure there's more of it.

40 minutes ago, Hahninator said:

This would be so cool! Can you imagine their "Fuck yeah" faces after recording Papercut?

24 minutes ago, Stranger said:

if i'm not mistaken, they do shot behind-the-scene but maybe it's not much as the other album forward. Example: there's a shot where Mike & Chester recording vocals for "Points of Authority" in the recording booth. I'm sure there's more of it.

Mmmm I have a blurry memory about that video but i don't think that it is a studio recording session, it was like a radio live session

Everyone is throwing some really good ideas. but nobody mention more rehearsal footage, I'm not believing that Esaul was the only song recorded in video that day (The one that came as a bonus on the Frat Party DVD).

I doubt that we gonna see the ostrich tapes cause i don't think the band is stupid to pay like 10K for that. but i'm sure they recorded more stuff themselves.

Also getting OSC from the BBC Radio session would be cool if that exist

Edited by Diaux