Top 5 Worst Decisions In LP's career

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talking To Myself would have been a great lead single since it's kind of a bridge between a more traditional Linkin Park style and the pop sound of One More Light. Heavy would have been a great single to release a little later to push more album sales after they began to dwindle.

These are mine. 

1. Cancelling DSPs. In the middle of the touring cycle no less. Would’ve been sick to have DSPs from 2013. The band was on fire. 2013 is the only LP year we don’t have any official release at all from.

2. Not playing more shows in 2013, the band had a Europe arena tour booked but fell through for some reason. 

3. Not visiting Australia since 2013, while Germany got 50 million shows in 2014-2015. 

4. Not making up the 2015 US tour where Chester broke his ankle. 

5. Live in Texas, while a great live album, sounds too overproduced and shouldn’t have been from two separate shows, I wish they would’ve released Reading 2003 as a live album instead. Much better show + crowd with the same setlist as Summer Sanitarium. 

52 minutes ago, xxHybridXeroxx said:

5. Live in Texas, while a great live album, sounds too overproduced and shouldn’t have been from two separate shows, I wish they would’ve released Reading 2003 as a live album instead. Much better show + crowd with the same setlist as Summer Sanitarium. 

I agree 100% with you. I saw people claiming that Live In Texas is the best Linkin Park concert when in reality is just a glorify standard show from 2003

2 hours ago, Diaux said:

I agree 100% with you. I saw people claiming that Live In Texas is the best Linkin Park concert when in reality is just a glorify standard show from 2003

Hell, there are better shows from the same tour! Los Angeles and San Francisco especially 

1 hour ago, JZLP-AmendsUltimateFan said:

The creation of

1 Good goodbye 

2 Battle Symphony 

3 Halfway Right 

4 Talking to myself

5 Sharp Edges 

"The album performed well commercially, debuting at number one in several countries. It also became the band's fifth number-one album on the Billboard 200, and was certified Gold in five countries."

32 minutes ago, Justin said:

"The album performed well commercially, debuting at number one in several countries. It also became the band's fifth number-one album on the Billboard 200, and was certified Gold in five countries."

I guess that you think that Gangman Style is the best song of all time according to your logic. 

19 hours ago, xxHybridXeroxx said:

These are mine. 

1. Cancelling DSPs. In the middle of the touring cycle no less. Would’ve been sick to have DSPs from 2013. The band was on fire. 2013 is the only LP year we don’t have any official release at all from.

2. Not playing more shows in 2013, the band had a Europe arena tour booked but fell through for some reason. 

3. Not visiting Australia since 2013, while Germany got 50 million shows in 2014-2015. 

The Live in Texas filming being two shows undoubtedly came from them wanting to film two in case the band messed something up, but also to get the best takes they could from the shows. I think the audio's end result is pretty great. Unfortunately for us, they started production on it right away after the shows as the release was only a few months later. So they had no idea, at that time that they were working on Live in Texas, that the Reading show would be that iconic and epic. I would like to see the Reading show one day for sure, or at least an audio release.

These are a good 1-4, I like those. It's a shame it took 7+ years for us to figure out why the DSPs really got canceled - it was an insane amount of work on an already hard touring/travel schedule for the crew. I would have easily proposed one DSP a tour of just one show, or a "best of" of the tour.... we might still have the program going to this day if that had happened. They could have been transparent with us and we could have offered better ideas.

5 hours ago, hahninator said:

It's a shame it took 7+ years for us to figure out why the DSPs really got canceled - it was an insane amount of work on an already hard touring/travel schedule for the crew. I would have easily proposed one DSP a tour of just one show, or a "best of" of the tour.... we might still have the program going to this day if that had happened. They could have been transparent with us and we could have offered better ideas.

exactly! Making DSPs from every show must have been tons of work but for example one from each leg would be much easier and fans would be satisfied with that. Or at least one from each tour like you said. Ehhh ..

1. Recharged, but hear me out. I actually adore ALTNC and am very nostalgic for the era. And I love that LP has some EDM in their disco, it just adds to the whole "LP can do anything" narrative that I love. And I actually love a solid 5 or so tracks off recharged. But an EDM album out of THP would have been INFINITELY more interesting imo. I would have liked them to drop ALTNC, then save the idea for EDM remixes until after THP and just drop something with it on their. Maybe the same length of tracks, half LT songs and half THP could've been interesting. 

2. LITE music video - What a solid track but a gimmicky music video. Should've been something more creative or at least more straightforward like UIG and BID

3. GATS music video - Same thing.I love the band's promo shots for THP and would've loved to see that style in the video. 

4. Studio versions of live tracks - Maybe asking them to record Chester's screams on Faint extended edition is a far fetch, but I would have absolutely loved it. Working the extended intro of NMS seems a lot more doable. And stuff like releasing Lost in the echo with that short little holding company instrumental would be elementary. Would have been great to get some of those on an LPU CD at least. I guess the instrumental stuff is still possible. I'm guessing Mike's take will be "those things are only special because you only get them live" though, which I respect. 

5. Sharp Edges as the closing track. I like the track but I think it would have fared better somewhere else in the album. Musically it just feels strange to me as the last track. As for an alternative closing track, I do think it's a bit hard to pick so I'm not too upset about it. Halfway Right and Sorry for now have big finishes, and Nobody could save me would work well if it wasn't the first. Especially saving the big "Only I can save me" twist for the very last lyrical moment of the album. Obviously the real solution would be for them to have written some epic 6 minute ballad to close :) 

• 1 month later...

1. Outside writers for OML
2. Using mostly electronic sounds for OML. I mean if you remember the album was hyped up as being "the most personal thing" and all that jazz, but then having personal lyrics and putting them with the most plastic sounding instruentals seems too much of a dissonance.
3. Not releasing HT Live at Download Festival as a CD for EVERYONE.
4. Not Making the "special edition with a booklet" version of THP the only one.
5. Censoring live releases

1 hour ago, rd1994 said:

2. Using mostly electronic sounds for OML. I mean if you remember the album was hyped up as being "the most personal thing" and all that jazz, but then having personal lyrics and putting them with the most plastic sounding instruentals seems too much of a dissonance.

I don't want to argue but what makes electronic music less personal? for example i don't think ATS is a less serious album because they used mostly electronic elements.

"The most plastic sounding instrumentals" dude those shitty producers like Chainsmoker wish they can make beats like that the ones on OML

29 minutes ago, Diaux said:

I don't want to argue but what makes electronic music less personal? for example i don't think ATS is a less serious album because they used mostly electronic elements.

"The most plastic sounding instrumentals" dude those shitty producers like Chainsmoker wish they can make beats like that the ones on OML

I never said electronic music makes it les personal. Heck I listen to electronic music all the time. I just think that the music on OML sounds like Chainsmokers, and while I do kinda like OML as an album at this point. The music on ATS sounds fresh exciting and what have you but the OML sounds like greed to me. Just the type of cheap and lackluster electronic music on the radio that is written just that, for mass appeal. To me about half the album still sounds like they hired a guy who has only heard the name Linkin Park but who mainly saw $$$$$ to slap some beats together and then Chester and Mike wrote their usual lyrics on top of it

So basically instrumentals  that could be produced by anyone + lyrics that are intimate and personal = a mix that I dislike

Like look at One More Light. its a song that sounds and reads (as in the lyrics) as deeply personal and it works.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/29/2020 at 5:18 AM, xxHybridXeroxx said:

These are mine. 

As a fellow Aussie I have to solidly agree with you. Sydney Soundwave in 2013 was the best LP set I have ever witnessed (Probably one of the best sets since 2007, maybe even 2004). I saw LP for the last time in Las Vegas in 2014 and it was a kick in the teeth to be omitted from THP "World" Tour. The lack of visits in later years was a real let down.

I'll add:

- Not releasing No Roads Left as an album track. To this day it sucks it hasn't made it to Spotify. 

- Missing the opportunity for a Numb/Encore mashup in Sydney 2010 when Jay-Z played the night before (in support of U2) and had a 4 day show break.

- The limited inclusion of APFMH at LP shows over the years. 

Not top 5 career decisions but here we go again

1) The cancellation of Docklands 2001 live DVD: The mixing of the tracks was so good and what they showed for the HBO Reverb was so amazing

Thanks LPL for the work print!

2) Cancellation of  LPU CD releases

3) The lack of support to the Grey Daze project from the LP camp, it felt kinda wrong that the main LP accounts never posted anything about it i know that it was like a business decision.

4) Numb is the most watched rock video OF ALL TIME can we just celebrate that achievement by releasing a remastered 4k version of it? no... let's wait until Meteora turns 20

FUCK THAT.

Edited by JZ-GreyDazeWorshipper

• 9 months later...