Top 5 Worst Decisions In LP's career

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Crazy how much I have change my views in a 5 year span. Now with HT20 and M20 out and all that, I’d like to revisit this with a true answer. 

01. Stopping the DSP’s

02. Turning LP into a brand circa like 2012

03. Not having a proper/longer touring cycle for LT

04. Doing HT in 2014

05. Not releasing Japan 2006 😭

The DSP’s should have never stopped. I wish we could get all the shows from the end of 2012 to Birmingham 2017 in DSP form, as well as those 2008 Summer Europe shows we never got. Is this stuff on a hard drive somewhere? Could be. 

I hated when the band made a LP a brand and started doing all the big collabs with clothing companies and other products starting in 2012. Was annoying AF and they kept it going right until the end, but they pulled back a little on it in 2017, but not much, still having Mercedes in the Heavy video, etc. Art before anything else IMO. And I liked when the band just sold regular band merch not all the crazy stuff. 

Living Things got the shaft out of all of their albums. Honda Civic Tour wasn’t really their own tour and it didn’t hit a lot of places, it was kind of clunky if you look back it it, they should have had a proper US tour maybe in the winter or 2013 or spring after Soundwave. Wasn’t the album a number one album? And Burn It Down was fairly successful. So yeah. And they just didn’t play much shows for the album even on the tours. Needed more shows and more Living Things songs in the set. In My Remains should have stayed for all of 2013 and I’ll Be Gone and Powerless should have definitely been played, same as Roads Untraveled. Castle Of Glass should have been played way before its debut IMO, ditch the ballad medley for it, have it on summer 2012 shows. 

I say they shouldn’t have done HT at Download 14 because for one it was strange, no one celebrates a 14th year anniversary. It wasn’t fair to other places in the world either. And it was just weird how they played it without any live intros/outros on the songs and then just played there newer stuff after it. Was a weird show IMO. I would have told the owner of Download I wasn’t playing the festival if they told me I could only headline if I played Hybrid Theory in full. They could have sold out another huge UK show some place. It also kind of overshadowed The Hunting Party IMO, they even released the audio for it, 2014 should have been about that album and the shows should have focused on it. 2014 as a whole felt like a ‘’Greatest Hits’’ tour , the set was strange. Didn’t like it. Luckily in 2015 it was fixed a bit. But the set needed more THP. Not sure why Mike was making a live set even before the album was done with studio songs, rmemeber that mix? Should have just reworked the set with new songs like they always did. No mash ups, no shortened songs, etc. and play more songs from the album, they could have easily played Keys to the Kingdom, War and Mark The Graves live, A Line In The Sand should have been on Carnivores. And it was also weird the tour was called Carnivores since that’s what Chester wanted to name the album as shown in LPUTV. Should have been called another name if the  album wasn’t going to be called Carnivores. That whole time period of 2012-2015 was shitty for the band IMO and being a fan, I think they shaped up in 2016-2017, because the live set was back to normal and much better and the the cycle was more proper. 

Lastly is just my little gripe. Tokyo 2006 , probably the best the band ever sounded. Needed to be released in full somehow. Better be with MTM20 and not over looked. Can be any show from that tour but one of them. Hell, Sendai is my favorite show of all time. 

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: 1) Excluding "Friendly Fire" from OML, damn that song is the embodyment of pop LP with personal and intimate lyrics, such a strong song, I don't know how it lost with songs like SFN, GG and Heavy (with Kiiara). Not only I would have put it on the album, but 100% it would have been my pick as the 2nd single 

1. Stopped working with Don Gilmore - With third release, they can go bigger than HT and Meteora combined. Could even bigger than Rick Rubin's Minutes to Midnight. If we got, let's say BRONTICUS as their third album with Don Gilmore, easy commercial success.

2. Worst decision for stating that, "We don't make albums like we used to, We check the list of collections of songs and release it as an album" - They should've had take risk after ATS. Go crazier with their sound. Releasing LT was a total regression from ATS and I was disappointed when it came out.

3. Self-producing THP -  God, they couldn't even get someone to guide them with that album. They should hire an external producer. 

4. Decision-making in choosing songs that ended up in OML (album) - FF is the pure definition of pure LP sound. The drums are crisps and articulated, the production is top-notched and no trap beat sounds quirking in the background.

5. Mike being avoidant with Hybrid Theory and Meteora sound - It's clear that they were exhausted with those sounds. But Mike should remember that they are on top above everyone else with that sound. No one can do better with that sound beside LINKIN PARK. He got cocky lately with his statements that revisiting that sound is not challenging anymore. He added that it's gonna take him 30 minutes to write an album with that CLASSIC LP sound.