Why Jon Green is a Perfect Fit for Linkin Park

hahninator

No, before anyone jumps on me, I’m not talking about a replacement for Chester.

Anyone who is a semi-hardcore fan of the band that watched the show Saturday likely walked away visibly impressed with Jon Green and what he added to the show.

Those in the fanbase know Jon Green for being a writer on Nobody Can Save Me and Battle Symphony on One More Light. At the London Brixton Academy show this past July, Jon also joined the band on guitar for Nobody Can Save Me as well, which was Chester’s second-to-last performance with the band. Jon might be just one of the best (not famous) musicians we’ve seen.

Before Nobody Can Save Me, Mike said, “You may have noticed a gentleman kind of sneaking around in the shadows on keyboard and guitar. His name is Jon Green.” Jon then performed a beautiful vocal/guitar intro with Mike and Steven McKellar of Civil Twilight for the song, and stuck around for Battle Symphony...taking lead vocals on the track. He also performed guitar for both tracks. His voice is REALLY good - it almost is unfortunate that he had to work with Linkin Park in the studio because Chester is such a good singer and (of course) handles the lead vocals. But what Jon brought to the table was quite impressive.

Jon was featured on at least seven or eight different songs throughout the night. He played keyboards and guitar on The Messenger/Iridescent and even the live debut of Roads Untraveled, played guitar and did backing vocals on Shadow of the Day/With or Without You, (backing vocals on Leave Out All The Rest too?), joined for vocals on Papercut (when have the ending "ahh ahhhs" ever sounded so good?), played Mike’s keyboard parts on The Catalyst, played guitar on Iridescent, and played keyboard on Bleed It Out. Wow. Jon seems on-par with how many instruments Mike can play during the live Linkin Park shows.

Comments on LPLive and LPAssociation include,Jon did absolutely wonderful and I would love to see Jon Green and Ilsey Juber to collaborate more often with the band and tour with the band in the future.

Jon Green would be a very fitting addition to Linkin Park to free up Mike on keys and guitar, and to add extra vocals where needed. I’m not saying he’s going to take the stage to sing One Step Closer, but as evidenced by the Hollywood Bowl set, Jon Green is a very appropriate match for Linkin Park as a sort of “unofficial” live band member for touring if they so wish (and can of course write in the studio as well on songs like he did for One More Light). Bands like Muse already utilize members like this. "Seventh member" and "unofficial member" are just terms people throw around... Jon has a lot to truly add to the band's live show if they wish to utilize him.

As of right now, Jon is a member of The Bonfires, a British band, but we have no information on what that band currently does or is up to as their social media is very empty.

With Chester’s passing, this could be a helpful step for the future of Linkin Park. We are certainly impressed with him.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldn't disagree with this more. He's fine on the OML songs, and I'm sure he could handle most of the softer stuff, but that's about it. He's not the guy for the aggressive, screaming songs. I honestly don't think LP will ever tour like they did in the past. It just doesn't work.

No, before anyone jumps on me, I’m not talking about a replacement for Chester.

I couldn't disagree with this more. He's fine on the OML songs, and I'm sure he could handle most of the softer stuff, but that's about it. He's not the guy for the aggressive, screaming songs. I honestly don't think LP will ever tour like they did in the past. It just doesn't work.

Seriously Castro? read a bit dude.

They don't need to play anything off of Hybrid Theory or Meteora besides Numb and In The End, the two biggest hits off of those albums. And when they do, they can let the crowd sing them, like they did at the memorial show. The heavier songs off of MTM like Given Up and No More Sorrow don't need to ever be played again, and the crowd could sing Bleed It Out (the non Mike parts). The slower songs that they might play off of MTM like Leave Out All The Rest, Shadow Of The Day, What I've Done, could be handled. Everything after MTM, Jon could easily handle, as well as Mike. So your argument is kind of pointless. I think he would fit the band. This isn't 2000-2007 anymore.

Edited by Geki

I certainly agree with this view and its something Ive been thinking about since Mike first introduced him on Friday. I noticed him on keys as soon as the band took the stage and the lights came on. Its not uncommon at all for bands to have touring members. Lets do it. #JG4LP lol

They don't need to play anything off of Hybrid Theory or Meteora besides Numb and In The End, the two biggest hits off of those albums. And when they do, they can let the crowd sing them, like they did at the memorial show. The heavier songs off of MTM like Given Up and No More Sorrow don't need to ever be played again, and the crowd could sing Bleed It Out (the non Mike parts). The slower songs that they might play off of MTM like Leave Out All The Rest, Shadow Of The Day, What I've Done, could be handled. Everything after MTM, Jon could easily handle, as well as Mike. So your argument is kind of pointless. I think he would fit the band. This isn't 2000-2007 anymore.

Yeah, they do need to play some of those songs. Let's be honest, most of the people at these big arena shows are casual fans, not die hards. They want to hear HT and Meteora, not OML.

Seriously Castro? read a bit dude.

Read every word of it. You guys want the band to continue so badly that you refuse to realize that none of this is gonna work. They will never be the same, and probably aren't gonna ever do a full fledged tour again as LP. You can't replace Chester, and Mike really is t a great singer. It is what it is. LP is basically done. I hate it just as much as the rest of you, but it's over. Edited by castro78

Yeah, they do need to play some of those songs. Let's be honest, most of the people at these big arena shows are casual fans, not die hards. They want to hear HT and Meteora, not OML.

Read every word of it. You guys want the band to continue so badly that you refuse to realize that none of this is gonna work. They will never be the same, and probably aren't gonna ever do a full fledged tour again as LP. You can't replace Chester, and Mike really is t a great singer. It is what it is. LP is basically done. I hate it just as much as the rest of you, but it's over.

Casual fans and fans both love ATS, LT and OML. THP only got one song from the album at the show. Casual fans don't know THP and a lot of fans don't even care about THP. Most casuals don't know what about the non-singles on any of the albums. I mean I guess they could do like Papercut, Mike or Jon could probably do that one. OSC might be hard, same as Crawling. The rest were just promo singles and stuff so no need to play any of those. Meteora, I could see a lot of it being an issue for Mike and Jon. SIB and BTH could probably be played. Faint and FTI might be hard. You have to think realistically, this isn't the Linkin Park of the old days when Chester was the frontman and commanded the stage. It's a different time now. Many fans would gladly go and watch newer songs, trust me.

Edited by Geki

You're talking to me here, I think everything written after MTM is fucking pure garbage. I hated like half of this tribute show because it had a shit ton of songs from after MTM. But let's be real, casual fans and fans both love ATS, LT and OML. THP only got one song from the album at the show. Casual fans don't know THP and a lot of fans don't even care about THP. Most casuals don't know what about the non-singles on any of the albums. I mean I guess they could do like Papercut, Mike or Jon could probably do that one. OSC might be hard, same as Crawling. The rest were just promo singles and stuff so no need to play any of those. Meteora, I could see a lot of it being an issue for Mike and Jon. SIB and BTH could probably be played. Faint and FTI might be hard. You have to think realistically, this isn't the Linkin Park of the old days when Chester was the frontman and commanded the stage. It's a different time now. Many fans would gladly go and watch newer songs, trust me.

I really disagree with this. The crowds always goes the craziest for the HT and Meteora songs. Most people don't like ATS at all. I agree on THP, though I liked most of it, casual fans aren't gonna want to hear it. Look, I hope they find a way to continue in some fashion, but I think it will be very difficult for a variety of reasons. I'm not sure the guys will even want to try and continue as LP. Only time will tell.

The times of LP being aggressive in their music is over. And if it means having more of Mike and the rest of the guys around, I'm okay with it.

More Mike is better than no Mike.

This! If they continue as a 5-piece they almost have no choice but drop most of the heavy stuff. I woudn't mind though, my only wish is to see the band continue, and no matter what will happen, their style certainly has to adapt now that Chester is no longer with us.

I really disagree with this. The crowds always goes the craziest for the HT and Meteora songs. Most people don't like ATS at all. I agree on THP, though I liked most of it, casual fans aren't gonna want to hear it. Look, I hope they find a way to continue in some fashion, but I think it will be very difficult for a variety of reasons. I'm not sure the guys will even want to try and continue as LP. Only time will tell.

I changed my original post to edit out the beginning part where I said everything after MTM was pure garbage, since there are good songs on each of the albums, I just don't often love the entire thing like the originals. But idk, I feel like a lot of people like stuff from ATS, LT, OML and even some of THP. Not everyone wants to hear only old songs.

This! If they continue as a 5-piece they almost have no choice but drop most of the heavy stuff. I woudn't mind though, my only wish is to see the band continue, and no matter what will happen, their style certainly has to adapt now that Chester is no longer with us.

Thank you. I agree with you.

I would rather not hear the heavy stuff live than not hearing them live at all anymore.

And I think they'd find a way to create a good setlist. I trust them.

Jon Green will be the Morgan Nicholls of Linkin Park. Love this guy, hope he sticks around with the band. Seems to be super versatile, too.

&I'm laughing at the people who still think LP needs to be aggressive to survive. OML went to #1 this year. Most of the band's hits in the last ten years haven't been aggressive. It's time to stop living in the nu-metal era, guys.

Green is legitimately the best case scenario for a new member for the band. He'd work great as both another mind to toss ideas around with for Mike and Brad (if that's what they want) and especially in the live show to take some of the pressure off Mike.

And nobody is saying it'll be the same as it was before, but it doesn't need to be. Their aggressive days are, by and large, behind them. Sure, they kept those songs in the set partially because they're fun to play for some of them, but mostly because fans liked them. They don't need to be aggressive to stay afloat now. Their hits have never exactly been their heaviest songs either (unless you're gonna say In The End, Numb, What I've Done, Shadow Of The Day, Burn It Down, Heavy, New Divide etc. are pinnacles of the band's aggression). I have no doubt in my mind the band can find a way to comfortably play live and satisfy more casual fans.

Read every word of it. You guys want the band to continue so badly that you refuse to realize that none of this is gonna work. They will never be the same, and probably aren't gonna ever do a full fledged tour again as LP. You can't replace Chester, and Mike really is t a great singer. It is what it is. LP is basically done. I hate it just as much as the rest of you, but it's over.

No, you don't "hate it as much as the rest of us," because you're one of about three people on here with their head far enough up their ass to think the way you do.

Jon doesn't NEED to be capable of doing Chester's heavy vocal parts. Look at how they did Numb, New Divide, and In the End. How many other early vocally heavy songs were really auto-includes in the setlist before Chester's passing? One Step Closer, Faint...that's really about it. You're talking about a pretty small portion of the setlist where it would be an issue. It's an important chunk of the set, sure, but they've already shown there are ways to work around it that don't have to involve replacing Chester.

Jon was the MVP of the show. He was literally out there for a third of the set, and everything he did was integrated seamlessly. He covered Chester's guitar part on Iridescent. He played keys enough to free Mike up to be more of a frontman on songs where he'd otherwise be stuck behind his keyboards. His harmonies kept vocal playback to a minimum. He even sang the album "ahh-ahh" part at the end of Papercut that has literally NEVER been done live.

Knowing now how much Jon brings to the table, I'd be vouching for the guy to be the Morgan Nicholls or Jason Freese of Linkin Park even if Chester was still with us.

No, you don't "hate it as much as the rest of us," because you're one of about three people on here with their head far enough up their ass to think the way you do.

Jon doesn't NEED to be capable of doing Chester's heavy vocal parts. Look at how they did Numb, New Divide, and In the End. How many other early vocally heavy songs were really auto-includes in the setlist before Chester's passing? One Step Closer, Faint...that's really about it. You're talking about a pretty small portion of the setlist where it would be an issue. It's an important chunk of the set, sure, but they've already shown there are ways to work around it that don't have to involve replacing Chester.

Jon was the MVP of the show. He was literally out there for a third of the set, and everything he did was integrated seamlessly. He covered Chester's guitar part on Iridescent. He played keys enough to free Mike up to be more of a frontman on songs where he'd otherwise be stuck behind his keyboards. His harmonies kept vocal playback to a minimum. He even sang the album "ahh-ahh" part at the end of Papercut that has literally NEVER been done live.

Knowing now how much Jon brings to the table, I'd be vouching for the guy to be the Morgan Nicholls or Jason Freese of Linkin Park even if Chester was still with us.

Is there ever a time when you're not being a giant douche bag? Seriously, why am I not allowed to have an opinion? I'm well aware that you think you're some type of musical know it all...good for you. I don't think the band can put on a proper show without Chester....is that so wrong? Mik can't handle all of the vocals, and Jon Green, while very good on the OML songs, can't handle the aggressive songs either. I'm not interested in an LP show full of OML songs...not my thing. Stop being such an asshole for five minutes, and try to understand that not everyone has the same opinion as you. No one else on here acts the way you do when they disagree with others. It's embarrassing. Grow up.

Is there ever a time when you're not being a giant douche bag? Seriously, why am I not allowed to have an opinion? I'm well aware that you think you're some type of musical know it all...good for you. I don't think the band can put on a proper show without Chester....is that so wrong? Mik can't handle all of the vocals, and Jon Green, while very good on the OML songs, can't handle the aggressive songs either. I'm not interested in an LP show full of OML songs...not my thing. Stop being such an asshole for five minutes, and try to understand that not everyone has the same opinion as you. No one else on here acts the way you do when they disagree with others. It's embarrassing. Grow up.

Dude, the issue isn't, and never has been, a difference of opinion. It's how you present yourself. Saying shit like "you all refuse to believe it isn't going to work" is very different than "I'm not that interested in a set with a lack of heavy songs", which seems to be your point of view. THAT'S fine. What isn't fine is your constant dismissing of others' opinions/thoughts, but when someone challenges your own, you play the victim.

I thought those "Aah's" were playbacks. Nevertheless, it was refreshing hearing that live.