Why Jon Green is a Perfect Fit for Linkin Park

hahninator

Jon Greene is awesome i D love to see him

Live with the band. About the aggressive songs well I love them but unless they Get a new singer we have to forget them. Mike simply can't sing Given Up or New Divide; anyway, I m super in for them carrying on as a 5 pièce band with touring members

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing now how much Jon brings to the table, I'd be vouching for the guy to be the Morgan Nicholls or Jason Freese of Linkin Park even if Chester was still with us.

I love your opinions man and when you talk about the technical side of the band no one knows more than you.

If LP recuits Green could you please imagine a 20 song setlist that could work with him and Mike on vocals?

Dude, the issue isn't, and never has been, a difference of opinion. It's how you present yourself. Saying shit like "you all refuse to believe it isn't going to work" is very different than "I'm not that interested in a set with a lack of heavy songs", which seems to be your point of view. THAT'S fine. What isn't fine is your constant dismissing of others' opinions/thoughts, but when someone challenges your own, you play the victim.

Oh please. Are you for real? I didn't dismiss anyone's opinion. I said I didn't agree and that I didn't think most people were being realistic about the bands future. That has been my view from the beginning of all of this. Astat has a problem with me...I don't really care, but I think it's BS that he gets to just say whatever he wants to people. He thinks his opinions are more important because he knows more about music than most. But no one ever says a thing to him. It's ridiculous.

Jon Green will be the Morgan Nicholls of Linkin Park. Love this guy, hope he sticks around with the band. Seems to be super versatile, too.

&I'm laughing at the people who still think LP needs to be aggressive to survive. OML went to #1 this year. Most of the band's hits in the last ten years haven't been aggressive. It's time to stop living in the nu-metal era, guys.

100% True!

I don't think it's just about aggressiveness. Sure Chester did scream on a few songs but I agree LP could successfully continue without screaming or raspy singing.

What I don't agree with is that LP could continue by just playing the songs that Mike and Jon Green could handle vocally. Many songs and parts are very high and to play those songs they would have to drastically rearrange them. I mean they could if they wanted to but with the vocal range of Jon Green and Mike the setlists would be very limited.

Jon Green did a good job and I see his possible benefits as he is a multi-instrumentalist like Mike and a pretty decent singer. I could really see him as a touring member but in my opinion they really need another vocalist. I don't mean they need a Chester-Sound-A-Like. They need someone with a unique voice, with charisma, someone who brings something new to the table and in a best-case-scenario someone who can handle Chesters stuff in his own way. I don't think Jon Green can do that and I don't think he did it last friday. For me Linkin Park has always been about doing something new or doing something that already exists in a own and unique way. Chester had that really special voice and no one can "replace" him but I think the best way of doing him justice would be to find someone as unique even if completely different and continue to evolve and honor Chester by continuing his and the bands work.

Jon Green might be very good at what he's doing but he's not really unique or outstanding to me in any way, which doesn't mean I don't like him.

If they decide to continue the band in whatever possible way and whenever it may be I just wish they can overcome the pain and do something new and exciting for themselves. I will support them anyway.

This is a great idea, to be honest. I absolutely loved Jon's vocals on Battle Symphony and everything he did during the whole show. MVP, for real.

True, and it s a concrete possibility seen that his band is not that big, he could join LP live and maybe write stuff with them at times

Think people are mistaking having Jon Green as some sort of replacement to Chester.

Having Jon on board will allow Mike to be the lead of the band like how Mike was for the tribute show.

Mike's stage persona is huge but often times it was restricted because he had to play the piano or guitars. Now, if we had someone like Jon taking up those responsibilities, Mike is more than capable of handling the frontman role of the band. And Mike is more than capable of filling Chester's shoes as the frontman.

Yes, the heavier songs would probably not happen frequently unless the band hires a heavier singer every time they go out on tour, which is plausible.

But the main point to take away is just how well Jon acted as a member of the band in this concert. He was there for a lot of the songs and with time, he can be included in all of them. Of all the people who appeared in the concert, Jon's role was the most befitting simply because of how much it freed Mike up.

Think people are mistaking having Jon Green as some sort of replacement to Chester.

Having Jon on board will allow Mike to be the lead of the band like how Mike was for the tribute show.

Mike's stage persona is huge but often times it was restricted because he had to play the piano or guitars. Now, if we had someone like Jon taking up those responsibilities, Mike is more than capable of handling the frontman role of the band. And Mike is more than capable of filling Chester's shoes as the frontman.

Yes, the heavier songs would probably not happen frequently unless the band hires a heavier singer every time they go out on tour, which is plausible.

But the main point to take away is just how well Jon acted as a member of the band in this concert. He was there for a lot of the songs and with time, he can be included in all of them. Of all the people who appeared in the concert, Jon's role was the most befitting simply because of how much it freed Mike up.

Super quote on this, no one is so mad to talk about Jon as a replacement for Chester, he simply can't, but as a "Mike 2.0" to let Mike be the full time frontman of the band

One of the most common arguments/beliefs I've seen in recent months and in regards to this show is that Linkin Park is going to continue and sound the same as they did before. They're not. They just aren't. Even when realizing this, I still had no idea how they could move forward, as a different sound, etc, but Hahninator makes some great points - Jon Green isn't the Chester replacement, he's just a person who would fit in with the band.

I don't know what they're planning for the future. I hope they (though doubting it's happening this year) "close out" the OML cycle with an LPU cd and start fresh for 2018. It's not going to be the same, never will, but Jon would definitely be an asset to the band and I feel he'd give the proper care to the music and memory of Chester.

Edited by MrCinder

There is no need for LP to play a lot of aggressive or heavy songs going forward. Songs like New Divide, Numb, and In The End can be done like they were at the Hollywood Bowl show. What else needs to be done? Mike is a master of medleys, perhaps he does an epic Papercut/Points/APFMH medley. Or integrates Faint somehow. Anything with screaming is out, rightfully so. They don't need it at all.

The best thing the band ever did for their future was to change the sound significantly starting with Minutes to Midnight. That's the pinnacle LP album to me because of how important it is to their career, and they hit a grand slam with it (bsides/demos too). Starting there, they've really allowed Mike to handle vocals well through the change of styles... OML and ATS are great examples too but we see it with LT and slightly with THP as well (he can sing Final Masq acoustic as he did on the version they released).

I agree. It was really noticeable how much Jon freed Mike up. Like Astat said, if Chester was still around, I'd STILL advocate for Jon joining the band as a touring member because of how much he adds to the show. He doesn't have to sing lead vocals if they don't want him to (although he sounded great on Battle Symphony)... the fact that he plays so many instruments and does backing vocals is enough to allow Mike to roam the stage more to become a bigger frontman in the band.

Super quote on this, no one is so mad to talk about Jon as a replacement for Chester, he simply can't, but as a "Mike 2.0" to let Mike be the full time frontman of the band

Exactly.

There is no need for LP to play a lot of aggressive or heavy songs going forward. Songs like New Divide, Numb, and In The End can be done like they were at the Hollywood Bowl show. What else needs to be done? Mike is a master of medleys, perhaps he does an epic Papercut/Points/APFMH medley. Or integrates Faint somehow. Anything with screaming is out, rightfully so. They don't need it at all.

The best thing the band ever did for their future was to change the sound significantly starting with Minutes to Midnight. That's the pinnacle LP album to me because of how important it is to their career, and they hit a grand slam with it (bsides/demos too). Starting there, they've really allowed Mike to handle vocals well through the change of styles... OML and ATS are great examples too but we see it with LT and slightly with THP as well (he can sing Final Masq acoustic as he did on the version they released).

I agree. It was really noticeable how much Jon freed Mike up. Like Astat said, if Chester was still around, I'd STILL advocate for Jon joining the band as a touring member because of how much he adds to the show. He doesn't have to sing lead vocals if they don't want him to (although he sounded great on Battle Symphony)... the fact that he plays so many instruments and does backing vocals is enough to allow Mike to roam the stage more to become a bigger frontman in the band.

Exactly.

A+ post here. I agree with you, Hahninator. The band can simply do what they did for the huge singles like In The End, Numb, New Divide, etc. The fans LOVED it, it was well received, and I guarantee that the band loved it as well. And yeah, Mike is for sure the master of medleys and making shit work. He has proven it time and time again, I 100% agree with that. He can whip up a 20 song set no problem and make it sound nice.

As for songs with intense screaming, I'm not sure why people think that's an issue. Why would they play them? Given Up hasn't been played in a few years now, it wasn't in any of the sets in 2017 at all. It wasn't a massive single by any means and they don't need to play it. It's one of my favorite songs but I would never expect them to bring it back, and I don't think any other vocalist in the world could do it justice. If you look at the 2017 sets, the only songs that had screaming were like One Step Closer, Bleed It Out, Faint, A Place For My Head and From The Inside. And all of those only feature a small part of the song that has screaming. Let the crowd do it, etc. Mike could even just kind of sing those parts, like a more aggressive kind of singing, like he has done many times in the past. It would be fine. Anyone that expects them to start playing shit like Qwerty needs a reality check.

I also agree that the band has changed their sound so much on recent albums that they can easily have Mike do the songs. Mike could handle all of OML, IMO. He is a good singer, he has improved a lot. He can do Final Masquerade off of THP. He can do a lot of songs off of LT and even ATS, look at the recent show! He can also do some of MTM. I mean the band has had many singles since the old days. The band was going in a different direction in 2017, the set in 2017 before Chester passed was geared more towards stuff that Mike could honestly sing if he wanted to.

And don't forget, if they continue, they will be making a new album. That's easily 10 or more songs that can be merged into a set.

Bottom line is, it won't be the same as it was with Chester. How the fuck could it? It will no doubt be different, but Mike can easily make it work if he wanted to, and I think a majority of fans would all be on board with it.

I was impressed on his talent during the concert, although I didn't love very much his work with The Bonfires. Anyway, a session/touring member is not a bad idea if Linkin Park decide to return to do a tour.

Let's see what the guys want do for their future.

Edited by Radden

Mike could even just kind of sing those parts, like a more aggressive kind of singing, like he has done many times in the past. It would be fine.

Like he did on the Rebellion bridge. He sounded a bit like a singing Serj from SOAD and I would accept that. We have to give him respect for trying to sing (or whatever you wanna call it) the Papercut or Rebellion bridge. And let's be, we should be greatful for anything they present at future shows (of course, only if they do continue) and not be mad if certain parts/songs don't sound the same as they did before.

Linkin Park could techncially still do the OML Tour. They could just play OML in full plus some other shit. Mike could handle all of OML easily, there really isn't anything he couldn't handle on it, IMO. Fuck it, bring Jon Green for the tour too, he can sing some of OML even. Maybe it would help them heal a little bit to give the album a final closure. I know fans would like it.

Edited by Geki

Linkin Park could techncially still do the OML Tour. They could just play OML in full plus some other shit. Mike could handle all of OML easily, there really isn't anything he couldn't handle on it, IMO. Fuck it, bring Jon Green for the tour too, he can sing some of OML even. Maybe it would help them heal a little bit to give the album a final closure. I know fans would like it.

Let me be the first to say... I like this Geki.

That's what I said to a friend just a few hours ago.

They definitely COULD do it. They could do a decent setlist with Mike singing and maybe some cool "tricks" like at the hollywood bowl (Chester on the screen for example)

The fans would LOVE this. But are they ready to do it? It seemed like it last friday...but who knows?

I wish they would do that :(

I'd rather Alanis!

That's cool if you liked her performance. I didn't think she was as bad as some people thought on COG, but she didn't blow me away. Realistically speaking, it would never happen. She is a huge artist in her own right, she's not joining Linkin Park on the road as a permanent member. Haha. 95% of the fanbase probably wouldn't care for that anyways. I don't think the band would want that even if she somehow wanted a part in that.

I really think they are so far into their career that a new singer would be literally almost impossible to find. They are able to survive as 5 no problem, hell Mike can survive as just ONE honestly. They had like almost 20 years of history with Chester, this isn't some case where the singer dies two or three albums in... they had like seven of them. The vibes would be so different that I bet the band this far into their career won't do it. They also probably know the fans would look at a new singer as some sort of replacement for Chester and they'd lose some support, which is likely, but that may not really alter their decision much.

Other bands have done it. AC/DC. Queen. LP is certainly of the status of those bands in the world.