Mall OST Out now!

RogueSoul

The cover on youtube is different, the cover that came with the free song doesn't have any names on it. His name is in the id tags of the mp3. You can't deny the fact that he is credited for the entire album, even if he didn't work on every song. I know that that doesn't proof anything about White Noise but who do think is playing drums on this? That's not even Rob's style.

I don't have any other proof, BMI wasn't updated yet and I think the LP.com post along with the youtube post is literally the only time his name was excluded.

He's not credited, so he officially didn't work on it. They mention only 4 members of the band for a reason, it would be much easier to say LP if that really was the case. The tracks also have guitar, does that mean Brad also had to be part of the project somehow?

To be fair, I'm fairly convinced that Brad is playing guitar on at least 2 songs on the soundtrack: Dancer and Devil's Drop. Both of those tracks feature fingerstyle guitar work in the vein of Brad's work on Burning in the Skies and Holding Company, and as far as I'm aware, Mike's never done any fingerstyle guitar work. Phoenix is a possibility since he plays bass fingerstyle from time to time and is a pretty solid guitarist in his own right, but the stuff on those 2 songs sounds almost EXACTLY like stuff Brad would play. Devil's Drop is also in an open acoustic tuning just like Three Band Terror, which was a Brad demo from the same sessions (Living Things), and I'm pretty sure I even hear his voice in the studio chatter at the start of the song.

I'm still pretty sure it's Alec on drums on White Noise, but with a lot of this material being sourced from old LP demos, it's possible that Brad and Rob appear on it in some way and just didn't want their names associated with the project for some reason.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally giving the soundtrack a listen in headphones. This is some good shit.

It really is... A lot better than the actual movie which kind of sucked bad. :lol: I also read the novel a while ago, back in 2011, and I think it is a lot better than the movie. But yeah, this soundtrack is good, the best part out of all of this.

Just listened to the album, and I'm a bit disappointed that there's only 1 track which Chester sings on. Maybe 2, I'm not entirely sure if he sings on Dancer or not.

In my opinion Chester should appear in Last Line, he should either sing whole song by himself or he should start to accompany Mike with his voice after first chorus, or the opposite, Mike should accompany Chester's voice after the first chorus. Dancer is also a great track, it would be awesome if Chester would sing the high notes, while Mike would sing the lower ones, and if the song would have lyrics.

EDIT: Since it says Mal Rx7 (instrumental), does it mean there's a version of it with vocals?

Edited by TheDamian58C

EDIT: Since it says Mal Rx7 (instrumental), does it mean there's a version of it with vocals?

I thought on this too. Since the other track that has '(instrumental)' in its name is Dancer, and we know that the song has vocals (even that are scat ones), is possible, I guess.

Just listened to the album, and I'm a bit disappointed that there's only 1 track which Chester sings on. Maybe 2, I'm not entirely sure if he sings on Dancer or not.

In my opinion Chester should appear in Last Line, he should either sing whole song by himself or he should start to accompany Mike with his voice after first chorus, or the opposite, Mike should accompany Chester's voice after the first chorus. Dancer is also a great track, it would be awesome if Chester would sing the high notes, while Mike would sing the lower ones, and if the song would have lyrics.

Dancer didn't have vocals on the OST, only during the credits of the film. I also agree about 'The Last Line'. I think Chester and Mike both would have sounded great on that song together, kind of like what they did on 'In Between' from Minutes To Midnight. Come to think of it, those two songs actually sound A LOT alike. As far as 'It Goes Through' goes, I love that song and I think Mike did a great job on that track. That song is one of those songs that doesn't need Chester to sing on it because it definitely suits Mike's voice a lot more, IMO. I'm also sure there were scat vocals on Mal Rx7 before at some point, look at Dancer for an example. Ever since they started working with Rick Rubin back in 2006, they have been putting vocals on their demos right away, something that they didn't do on the first two records, according to what Chester said in the Making Of MTM.

Dancer didn't have vocals on the OST, only during the credits of the film.

I know, I was just a bit unclear about this. When I talk about Mall OST, then I talk about the album and the credits. Dancer is an amazing track, and I think it deserves some work on it, so it get lyrics and gets finished. It's too good track to leave it alone like this in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

The Last Line reminds me of In Between, stylistically. nice to be able to hear an "old" era even after being re-purposed for something entirely different.

really enjoying Devil's Drop too.

Yeah, it reminds me a lot of 'In Between' as well. It definitely sounds a lot more MTMish instead of ATSish. But it's probably my least favorite out of the 4 songs with vocals, honestly. 'Devil's Drop' is also pretty good, but not my favorite, I have to be in the right mood to listen to it. I like 'White Noise' a lot still, it's a solid song. 'It Goes Through' is just plain awesome, I really like that song a lot. 'Dancer' and 'Mal Rx7' just sound like the rest of the regular score to me, they don't really sound like songs, different from the rest of the score, like the other 4 do.

'Devil's Drop' is also pretty good, but not my favorite, I have to be in the right mood to listen to it.

what I really like about Devil's Drop is that it captures what I felt was missing from Living Things.

I remember lots of talk of folk-orientated/-originated songs during LT's hype stage, and alot of those pre-release reviews where the word "americana" kept popping up. (like the "visceral" thing that's hung around the THP promo)

Devil's Drop itself sounds like one of those slightly morbid old west pioneer's ballads - brother fell protecting us, somewhere far from home, lay him down to rest with us, in fields of earth and cold - the whole track just sounds really exposed and humble.

American pioneers were the god-fearing type, so anything vaguely weird or inexplicable that they found was named because it was the devil's doing; Devil's Punch Bowl, and Devil's Tower for example (seriously, there isn't a state in the US without at least one devil-themed place name). The name and style just fit together quite nicely.

I can see why "Warm Spell" was left at the wayside (for fear of over-using the folk-theme) but while Roads Untravelled and UIB part 3 have a folk undertone, I personally felt like the specific americana theme wasn't very accurate in relation to LT.

I am definitely putting way too much thought into a song from a movie soundtrack, but a previously unused demo sounds more like the album's hype suggested, than the album did itself.

what I really like about Devil's Drop is that it captures what I felt was missing from Living Things.

I remember lots of talk of folk-orientated/-originated songs during LT's hype stage, and alot of those pre-release reviews where the word "americana" kept popping up. (like the "visceral" thing that's hung around the THP promo)

Devil's Drop itself sounds like one of those slightly morbid old west pioneer's ballads - brother fell protecting us, somewhere far from home, lay him down to rest with us, in fields of earth and cold - the whole track just sounds really exposed and humble.

American pioneers were the god-fearing type, so anything vaguely weird or inexplicable that they found was named because it was the devil's doing; Devil's Punch Bowl, and Devil's Tower for example (seriously, there isn't a state in the US without at least one devil-themed place name). The name and style just fit together quite nicely.

I can see why "Warm Spell" was left at the wayside (for fear of over-using the folk-theme) but while Roads Untravelled and UIB part 3 have a folk undertone, I personally felt like the specific americana theme wasn't very accurate in relation to LT.

I am definitely putting way too much thought into a song from a movie soundtrack, but a previously unused demo sounds more like the album's hype suggested, than the album did itself.

Yeah, 'Devil's Drop' definitely is very folky, you're right. Another folky song they had was 'Three Band Terror' on LPU13. We all know it ended up at the end of 'UNTIL IT BREAKS' on the album, but the original demo for it was very folky. Mike said that they kept the first verse and first chorus of 'CASTLE OF GLASS' the same on the album as it was on the original demo, and that part of the song has the folky feel, too. 'SKIN TO BONE' and 'ROADS UNTRAVELED' you can definitely tell had folky origins as you said, but it seems like they wanted to make all these folky songs sound heavier and they added heavy guitar and beats to these. I bet LP has a lot of folky shit lying around from 2011-2012. That period of the band really intrigues me...

Yeah, 'Devil's Drop' definitely is very folky, you're right. Another folky song they had was 'Three Band Terror' on LPU13. We all know it ended up at the end of 'UNTIL IT BREAKS' on the album, but the original demo for it was very folky. Mike said that they kept the first verse and first chorus of 'CASTLE OF GLASS' the same on the album as it was on the original demo, and that part of the song has the folky feel, too. 'SKIN TO BONE' and 'ROADS UNTRAVELED' you can definitely tell had folky origins as you said, but it seems like they wanted to make all these folky songs sound heavier and they added heavy guitar and beats to these. I bet LP has a lot of folky shit lying around from 2011-2012. That period of the band really intrigues me...

exactly, I'd be interested to hear some more of the stuff that was "beefed up" for the album versions.

If the guitars on Victimized were actually audible

audible [ˈɔːdɪb(ə)] adjective: 1. able to be heard. "some ultrasound is audible to dogs"

synonyms: perceptible, discernible, detectable, hearable, able to be heard

do you just hear chester and the drum parts? no guitar at all?

Yeah, I'd LOVE to hear the original acoustic demo of Skin to Bone.

Yes. I would love to hear it too. To quote Chester from 2012.

''All of a sudden we were writing hippie folk songs. Like ''Skin To Bone'' which is like this crazy-electro beats that are pounding your face. But when that was written, it was like a simple folk song. Where it began and where it ended up, they are miles and miles and miles apart.''

SOURCE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4hq7JBK3EQ

It's really a shame if MALL never comes out on CD. I want to rip it into Apple Lossless. Jonas said that MALL would be getting a CD release this year, but I honestly doubt it because they are promoting it as a DVD + mp3 bundle everywhere and I don't see the point in them promoting it forever, technically it's been out since June of last year, but October if you count the ''official'' release date.

Edited by Geki

There are places where you can buy a lossless version online. They only promote the DVD + mp3 bundle in the US (still no bluray release wtf), the news about the CD came from the German LP newsletter so it might end up being Europe only. Can't find anything about a release date yet.