LPU XIV Is Here!

Skipees

To everyone complaining about the songs, do you realize how spoiled we are this year? We got a live album of Hybrid Theory, a sixth studio album (THP), Meteora instrumentals, some HD live recordings, The Mall soundtrack, and now LPU 14. Be grateful for what we get. For all we know, Mike could just give us live recordings for LPU that we already have (LPU7) from 15 on. I doubt that'll happen, but don't test Mike. Or he could just do give us "cookies" and by the time LPU 20 comes, everyone would not want to hear

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To everyone complaining about the songs, do you realize how spoiled we are this year? We got a live album of Hybrid Theory, a sixth studio album (THP), Meteora instrumentals, some HD live recordings, The Mall soundtrack, and now LPU 14.

When did we get the MALL soundtrack.......?

Next month. Joe said it during M&G session.

As I recall, there were claims that the album was supposedly due for release via Warner in the FALL as well.

I'm gonna take this with a grain of salt and view it as nothing more than a rumor until its officially announced.

I haven't listened to this years LPU CD. Not via YT, download or whatever.

I just can't be bothered. Based on the comments from you guys and the fact I've had my fill of instrumentals.

Normally, I'd have listened on day 1 but not this time. I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually

I haven't listened to this years LPU CD. Not via YT, download or whatever.

I just can't be bothered. Based on the comments from you guys and the fact I've had my fill of instrumentals.

Normally, I'd have listened on day 1 but not this time. I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually

The BTH demo is cool but only because of the different lyrics, Chester's vocal delivery is eons better than Mike's with that song, the chorus for it almost sounds like a mmm...cookies outtake to me.

Edited by Geki

Aight , here's my brief review of LPUXIV:

1. Aubrey One:

Could have been a good album opener if they modified it, there is a big similarity to Wake/ Wake 2.0 with the intro noise. But the one octave note that gets played for a whole minute really wears you out, it's like all the guitar that Brad pays on LOATR. The intro to it is just too long and it doesn't climb fast enough, every new bar should have an added element for it to work. And about the Basquiat similarity, I like that guitar part. It is't like they haven't copied their own parts before. Nobody's Listening uses a sample from High Voltage, The Requiem and The Summoning are made up of samples, and songs like Faint/FTI and GATS/ALITS have the same chord structures.

2. Malathion + Tritonus:

Metallica song. No denying it. The piano intro is pretty and makes me think of Unforgiven III off of Death Magnetic. Speaking of terrible mixing, the drum mixing is off, the snare sounds too loud and you can hardly hear the hi hat. But the rest of the drumming sounds good, this must be the first time that Rob used a double bass in studio, based on what the Tritonus studio had. My only other regret for the song is that there is not face melting guitar solo. Brad really teases us with the one note with vibrato to it. That's how so many Metallica and Alice in Chains songs start their solos. If they do a followup to THP for LP7, this could definitely be on there. Probably my favorite from this release.

3. Berlin One, Version C:

Man these titles are weird. This song isn't much. The piano chords go nowhere after enough repetitions and the beat is annoying for a slow song like this. I hope the Version C part of it doesn't mean that there are more versions of this demo, because I can only imagine the first demo of it was one piano note and crinkling some tinfoil. I don't hate it though, but it wouldn't be album material. It would work better in Mall or a movie as filler music in the score.

4. Blanka:

Not too much to say about this either. It reminds me of one of the tracks from LPUXII that I don't remember the name of right now. The riff is chunky but whatever. Drums don't sound live here either. QWERTY.

5. Heartburn:

Now we're getting interesting! I like where they were going with this: harmonics (or keys, I can't tell) and small instrumentation. Any Nine Inch Nails fans here? Help Me I Am In Hell was the first thing that I thought of when I first heard this. Listen to this with headphones on so you can hear the bass better. This would be a fine interlude, but it may have been tough to put on MTM.

6. Breaking The Habit - Mike:

This must have been the first time that lyrics and vocals were put into the song as a test to lay down a rough draft because he wanted Chester to sing it. Mike had said in the Making of Meteora that he wanted to do BTH for years (ever since he met Chester), so this isn't even the song in its infancy. But this version and Drawing are good demos. The lyrics are definitely interesting for how they were changed into only first-person, and some parts were put into different sections (Memories consume starting the second verse). Say what you want about Mike's vocals, he just wanted to be able to give an idea for melodies.

7. Dave's Beat feat. Joe:

Cookie. I don't care for it for that reason, they should have given us a real song. The only thing that we get from this is a sign that Joe's sense of rhythm was gone by 2009.

8. Froctagon:

War inspiration. Drums aren't good on it and the guitar parts were recorded at different times. Similar to Malathion, there could be a solo but we get vibrato notes instead. Doesn't stand out at all.

9. Rhinocerous:

Cool demo. I can't tell which album this would work best on, but it has elements that remind me of other songs. The guitar and scratch is like By Myself, and the synth in the chorus is like one of the LPUXIII songs. I like the abrupt glitch toward the end too. Would have been cool with vocals.

10. After Canada:

I love the chord progression. Eb-G-Cm-G# is a great one that they haven't done yet (I'm not certain if that is a G or Gm). Vocals over this would sound great but Chester would have to really give it his all. The overall instrumentation is very good on it.

So I like some of it. Favorite tracks are Malation +Tritonus, Heartburn, Rhinocerous, and After Canada. Not as great as LPUXIII, but some songs are still good enough that I would listen to them again.

As I recall, there were claims that the album was supposedly due for release via Warner in the FALL as well.

I'm gonna take this with a grain of salt and view it as nothing more than a rumor until its officially announced.

Not rumor, Joe said it to one of the LPU member during M&G. Well, you should just wait for the official announcement than asking right here.

Here in Portugal the fall lasts until December 20. :rolleyes:

Edited by tfae

Here in Canada, fall apparently lasted about two months this year. November is cold as fuck.

Really? lol it's still been in the mid 70's down here in New Orleans. We've had like 2 cold days so far.

I was still wearing shorts on Christmas last year :( it sucked

Here in Portugal the fall lasts until December 20. :rolleyes:

In (south) Norway the fall lasts whole year

I'm still wearing shorts now.

There is a joke here in New England that we New Englanders will wear shorts all year long, no matter what the weather. It's pretty funny, because I actually will wear shorts all winter and not think twice about it.

Edited by Geki

In Minnesota there's regularly people walking around in shorts and a sweater. I always think to myself, "If it's cold enough to wear a sweater...why the fuck are you wearing shorts?"

You always see that here in New England too. I'm totally guilty of doing this though, so I can't say much.

33olfm8.jpg

I just mixed my own lpu cd :)

01 Bruiser (Stagelight Demo)
02 Space Station (Stagelight Demo)
03 Malathion+Tritonus (2008 Berlin Demo)
04 Blanka (2008 Prague One Demo)
05 Dead & Bloated (STP Live 2013)
06 Out Of Time (STP Live 2013)
07 Breaking The Habit (Original Mike 2002 Demo)
08 Asteroids (Stagelight Demo 2014)
09 Rhinocerous (2002 Demo)
10 Until It's Gone (live)
11 A Light That Never Come (live)
12 Beat Making Improvisation (LPTV)
13 White Noise
14 Burn It Down (Reggae version live LPU Summit)
15 Rebellion (Live with Daron Malakian)

They should go back to the six track format with better tracks give us 2 or 3 songs with vocals the rest should be rare live songs

Is that really hard Lorenzo? I wonder if you pass our complaints to Mike

LP still say that they have great interactions with the fans but that's a lie M&g happen because money is on the table

They should go back to their roots Mike used to have a lot of interaction with fans he posted a lot on LP.Com FM.com I believe that he had an account in LPA is that hard for him to make an account here and bring some fun to us?

I wouldn't call them complaints, but I appreciate reading all feedback on everything. I personally think these releases are special no matter what is on them, and I am thankful the band does do this.

-Lorenzo

Yes, it was only for lpu and nearly every second member was requesting demos with vocals, meh :)

The poll was posted on LPU, and the CD was not a topic we asked about, simply the package items.

Despite what the package content is, the digital membership gives everyone access to the popular benefits such as, Pre-Sales, M&G Lottery, Early Entry, and Chats.

I like the idea of opening up the poll to everyone. But just as you comment here on these forums, know that we are always taking feedback. Feel free to reach out with feedback anytime: LPUHQ@LPUNDERGROUND.COM

Thanks !

-Lorenzo