LPU 12 Has Launched!

hahninator

I always thought that Xero was formed in 1996, the Xero EP came out in 1997, Chester joined the band in 1998, the band changed their name to Hybrid Theory/Linkin Park in 1999, and then in 2000 they finished up Hybrid Theory and released it. That's how I always have thought it went in my head and that's how I will always think it.

Chester did the demo tape for his LP audition on his birthday in March of '99. The only way those '98 dates would be correct is if the songs were done before Chester joined and he just added his vocals later, which I suppose is possible, but they tend to date things based on when they were finished (see: Pretend to Be), plus Mike's said it wasn't until after Chester joined that they got the chance to do demos in a "professional" studio, and Slip/Blue/So Far Away all have the same sound quality as other HT-era demos. HT name change happened basically at the same time Chester joined, LP name change was in the spring of 2000 at some point (probably May, the demo CD from May 8th, 2000 has the old band name covered up/written over).

One thing I'd love to have clarification on someday is when Phoenix initially left the band. Is he even on the Xero demo? Was he in the band with Chester at any point prior to rejoining in October of 2000? Who played bass on all of the HT demos, Kyle Christner? Brad? Someone else? Lots of unknowns there.

Edited by Astat

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I still couldn't listen to the cd...

Can anyone make a list of informations on the songs?

Like which ones have vocal takes and what are the lyrics, is any an album demo and what are the PoA/Forgotten differences from the versions we got already?

Thank you

Homecoming - Instrumental

Points of Authrority - Sink or swim lyrics but different bridge

Clarity - Instrumental

Asbestos - Partial lyrics on verses only by Mike

Bunker - Instrumental

So Far Away - normal song

Pepper - Instrumental

Debris - Mike lyrics on first verse and choruses only

Omnious - Instrumental

Forgotten - not a new demo

Homecoming - Instrumental

Points of Authrority - Sink or swim lyrics but different bridge

Clarity - Instrumental

Asbestos - Partial lyrics on verses only by Mike

Bunker - Instrumental

So Far Away - normal song

Pepper - Instrumental

Debris - Mike lyrics on first verse and choruses only

Omnious - Instrumental

Forgotten - not a new demo

My job here is done.

*flies away*

Fixed that for you.

On another note, I was hoping for more full/complete songs like Across the Line or What We Don't Know or some Living Things demos.

just bought LPU plus pass and I thought that there will be a download link with lpu12 cd, as was with purchasing Living Things...so I would like to ask, original bitrate digital cd from lpu.com is 320kbps? is there any .pdf with covers like last year?

I'm hoping that the physical CD will have track by track commentary from Mike like it did last year, or maybe what Brad did in the LPUX newsletter for a few songs even.

EDIT: I got my LPU package in the mail today. Cool package, I love the water bottle and the t-shirt a lot. Guitar pick and keychain are pretty cool too. The CD DOES have track by track commentary in the booklet, but it's from Phoenix, not Mike. I can type the commentary if you guys want me to. It is no where as cool as the one from Mike last year, they should have had Mike, Brad or Chester do it this year because they are the most involved with the music. A lot of his comments are vague and don't give us any background on the demos which sucks because that is what I enjoy the most, is learning about the demos. Also, my physical CD has an era on it. On the CD, Bunker says ''MITM'' demo next to it. LOL.

Edited by Geki

• 2 weeks later...

Homecoming - With Minutes To Midnight, we threw our playbook out the window. Rick challenged us to write songs in an entirely different way: create an instrumental ''seed'' and put vocals on it right away. If the initial blueprint wasn't overtly inspiring, we would move on to creating something new. We must have written over a hundred of these seeds before arriving at the twelve finished songs that made the album.

Points Of Authority - One of my favorite songs from our Hybrid Theory writing sessions. You'll notice the bridge from the album version is actually the chorus in this early version. The bridge here was ultimately replaced by the demo chorus-our version of musical darwinism.

Clarity - I love how this one builds. Works cool as an instrumental.

Asbestos - This may be the first time I've heard this one!

Bunker - We worked in so many different studios during the Minutes To Midnight writing and recording sessions. Our work culminated at Rick's house in Laurel Canyon. However, much of the material on the album actually came straight from demos recording during pre-production writing sessions.

So Far Away - This one has a special place in my heart. Part of the inspiration behind this song was an attempt to play with a particular back-and-forth song structure. Also, a foreshadowing of Shinoda's melodic facility.

Pepper - People ask how we write a song. The assumption is usually that it starts with words or a melody-that we have the idea for the song before we begin. In reality, we almost always start a demo with an instrumental impulse. Usually the music will help dictate where the vocals will take the song.

Debris - This demo thrived on the strength of the beat. Comes in demanding attention. The chorus here probably would've been better as a bridge. The demo bridge has a nice chord progression-might've worked as a chorus.

Ominous - With Meteora, we were eager to prove that our first album wasn't an aberration. The joke is that a band has their entire lives to write their first album, and six months to write the second. In our case, this was probably accurate. Our early song writing approach was always to craft nearly finished instrumental tracks, and subsequently finalize words and melodies.This put an exceptional amount of pressure on the vocalists, often in the final hour of the recording process.

Forgotten - One of our earliest songs. Definitely a fan favorite. The spirit of this song is intimately interwoven into the formative identity of the band.

yeah he is really vague

mike was the one who selected the songs i guess i need his commentary, Phoenix doesnt know anything about Asbestos i expected more lol

He just re-stated facts that we already know and have known forever. Rick encouraged the band to write differently on MTM, they recorded MTM in many different studios, Points has the bridge for the chorus, Forgotten demo was a early LP song, like no shit. Kind of stupid.

How can So Far Away "hold a special place in his heart" when Phoenix wasn't even in the band when it was recorded? :lol:

That's what I am talking about. It seems like he just bullshitted a lot of the song notes. Some of the demos on LPU12 are really interesting and I would have liked to have known more background info about them. Like take Asbestos for example, all he said was ''This might be the first time I ever heard this!'' like wtf? He didn't play bass on it???

That's what I am talking about. It seems like he just bullshitted a lot of the song notes. Some of the demos on LPU12 are really interesting and I would have liked to have known more background info about them. Like take Asbestos for example, all he said was ''This might be the first time I ever heard this!'' like wtf? He didn't play bass on it???

There are probably tons of songs post-Minutes to Midnight that Phoenix doesn't play bass on. That goes back to the whole thing where after Meteora they stopped listing who played what on the albums, because a lot of them play different stuff on different songs. Any given song could have Brad, Mike, Phoenix, or Chester on guitar, Phoenix, Brad, or Mike on bass, Mike, Brad, or Rob on keys, a live drum track by Rob or a programmed drum track, samples/"DJ stuff" by Joe, Mike, or a combination of both of them, etc.

There are probably tons of songs post-Minutes to Midnight that Phoenix doesn't play bass on. That goes back to the whole thing where after Meteora they stopped listing who played what on the albums, because a lot of them play different stuff on different songs. Any given song could have Brad, Mike, Phoenix, or Chester on guitar, Phoenix, Brad, or Mike on bass, Mike, Brad, or Rob on keys, a live drum track by Rob or a programmed drum track, samples/"DJ stuff" by Joe, Mike, or a combination of both of them, etc.

I did not know that...

Actually, the track notes are by Brad not Phoenix. Phoenix wrote the "thank you" section of the booklet.

Oh wow... I just noticed this... I am deeply sorry to all of you guys!!!!!! Still not very descriptive, though....

Asbestos sounds like it was completely done by Mike but just not shared, or maybe only shared once or twice, hence why Brad might not have heard it. Or, he performed the riff, and Mike took it and put it into a different song without showing the rest of the band.

The notes weren't hugely insightful, but that's not really a big deal.

Asbestos sounds like it was completely done by Mike but just not shared, or maybe only shared once or twice, hence why Brad might not have heard it. Or, he performed the riff, and Mike took it and put it into a different song without showing the rest of the band.

The notes weren't hugely insightful, but that's not really a big deal.

they just don't remember the tons of demos that they have

they don't even remember song titles, or which song belongs to an album lol

that french interview was awesome, mike saying that Meteora or ATS started with Wake lol

Was the LPU chat with Chester at Third Encore or where was it? Need that info for the show page.

It was wherever they're currently rehearsing, that was made obvious when Pooch made an appearance. I have no idea if they're rehearsing at Third Encore right now though.