02.07.2011 - St. Gallen, Switzerland - OpenAir St. Gallen

Linkin Park returns to Switzerland on the 2nd for their second show in the country on the "A Thousand Suns" touring cycle. The last show in Switzerland came in Zürich in 2010 (show page here). For a history of LP shows in the country, read the preshow post for that show here.

Here's a pretty solid video of 'Papercut' opening the Rock Werchter show in Belgium....

This is the second to last show of 2011 in Europe, and unfortunately it seems like the preshow posts are getting smaller and smaller for the rest of the tour. What can you do though? There's only so much speculation you can offer and questions you can ask on a tour that has seen almost the exact same songs every show. The only real changes in Europe are the occasional drop of 'Breaking The Habit' and the additions of 'Burning In The Skies' or 'Blackout'.

After this show, LP plays the iTunes Festival in London on July 4th. They have been playing shortened setlists for festivals, with the Arras, France setlist receiving a slightly different order with 'Faint' opening, 'Papercut' second and no 'One Step Closer'. Is the band going to start phasing out 'One Step Closer'? What do you think? It's the third time it's been missing this touring cycle... Madrid 2010, Moscow 2011 and Arras 2011. Would you like to see the band start dropping it from a setlist or two or is that one of the songs that has to be played at every show?

It seems like nothing else is coming this tour...just the regular songs that have been on this leg. Maybe 'Blackout' will appear in London? Hopefully on the tour in Asia we see 'Wretches & Kings', 'The Messenger', the live debut of 'Robot Boy' and some older songs that they haven't played in ages...'With You' maybe?

The lineup for the show says that Alvin Zealot, Baze, Mona, Crystal Castles, John Butler Trio, and Hurts will play before Linkin Park (wow, what a variety) and Dizzee Rascal will play after them.

Who is going to OpenAir St. Gallen? M&G for anyone? I believe this is the first outdoor show the band has ever played in Switzerland so it should be fun!

SETLIST:

01. The Requiem / Savio Speech

02. Faint

03. Papercut

04. Lying From You

05. Given Up

06. New Divide

07. Empty Spaces

08. When They Come For Me

09. No More Sorrow

10. From The Inside

11. Jornada Del Muerto

12. Waiting For The End

13. Numb

14. The Radiance

15. Breaking the Habit

16. Wisdom Justice & Love

17. Iridescent

18. The Catalyst

19. What I've Done

20. In The End

21. Crawling

22. Bleed it out (APFMH Bridge)

Is the band going to start phasing out 'One Step Closer'? What do you think? It's the third time it's been missing this touring cycle... Madrid 2010, Moscow 2011 and Werchter 2011. Would you like to see the band start dropping it from a setlist or two or is that one of the songs that has to be played at every show?

Just a quick reminder note Hahninator, maybe you're a little confused because the're so many concert in just a few days but One Step Closer was played on Werchter.

it's missing on Arras

Edited by LPU90

I'm not sure about anywhere else but here in southern California, One Step closer put LP on the map and it's the song that got me into this band. As my music tastes changed, I stayed with them all these years because they continue to make music I enjoy. So basically, I'm not too sure it would go over very well for them to cut out OSC at a So. Cal area show, at least not for me. They might be able to get away with it everywhere else though I'm not sure how much other radio stations supported the song when it was released

Edited by Hybrid1988

I think they've gotta keep OSC in the set it's just a great way to open or close a show.

I know Crawling is a big single too but I personally don't think it has that "bite" anymore in the live show. That would be my choice of song to drop.

I never liked One Step Closer, it's one of the very few songs I just really don't enjoy listening to. So.. go ahead dropping it. Although I think a lot of old fans would majorly miss it, the crowd is still going insane on it.

Just a quick reminder note Hahninator, maybe you're a little confused because the're so many concert in just a few days but One Step Closer was played on Werchter.

it's missing on Arras

Hey thanks. Screwed it up for sure.

OSC is a great song live but there are times when it isn't very enjoyable due to its placement in the setlist. I didn't like it closing the main set in A-1....it came so soon in the show in my opinion. That was the least I've ever enjoyed the song. Opening PR08 it was decent because I remembering having a discussion about whether I liked it opening or closing and I offered the suggestion of them playing it TWICE because Green Day sometimes does that lol and the crowd loves it. Opening it has a lot of energy but I concluded I'd rather see it close. PR08 West Palm it was insane after CFTI in the 2nd encore. I mean insane. ATL 07 it was insane starting the encore (hell yeah great place for it). Europe 09 it was insane after ND/Faint.

2011.....not much energy closing the main set. Meh. I'd like them to do it Reanimated again and maybe throw it as the last song. I don't understand LP because they said before this touring cycle started in South America that they were going to change up OLDER songs to be more "ATS-like". Not one song has seen any change this entire touring cycle and that's very unlike LP. I think some band members aren't enjoying the shows as much possibly.

OSC is a great song live but there are times when it isn't very enjoyable due to its placement in the setlist. I didn't like it closing the main set in A-1....it came so soon in the show in my opinion. That was the least I've ever enjoyed the song. Opening PR08 it was decent because I remembering having a discussion about whether I liked it opening or closing and I offered the suggestion of them playing it TWICE because Green Day sometimes does that lol and the crowd loves it. Opening it has a lot of energy but I concluded I'd rather see it close. PR08 West Palm it was insane after CFTI in the 2nd encore. I mean insane. ATL 07 it was insane starting the encore (hell yeah great place for it). Europe 09 it was insane after ND/Faint.

2011.....not much energy closing the main set. Meh. I'd like them to do it Reanimated again and maybe throw it as the last song. I don't understand LP because they said before this touring cycle started in South America that they were going to change up OLDER songs to be more "ATS-like". Not one song has seen any change this entire touring cycle and that's very unlike LP. I think some band members aren't enjoying the shows as much possibly.

I don't believe that the OSC is removed from the setlist! But yes, it would be great if they returned to play the Reanimation version.

The impression I have is that the band is sacrificing the creation or/and use of new or intros/outros so that the setlist has the largest number of songs (singles?).

Mike was not wrong when he said, in the LPU chat, the difficulty of changing the setlist, because it will always be someone complaining that removed some songs.

Edited by Victor Del Porto

I agree, I was hoping for new intros/outros, especially because some of the new songs have very long intros. The only changes I have noticed are very small ones, like the ending of No More Sorrow (instead of repeating "your time has come to be replaced" 3 times, he now repeats the whole chorus again), and the extended outro of One Step Closer kicks in a little sooner.

i think they don't play W&K because it will be the last single of ATS.

The long intro of no more sorrow is boring, just for opens the show works!

i hope w&k is the next single becouse i have a funny feeling it might be when they come for me instead but i want w&k though

i think they don't play W&K because it will be the last single of ATS.

The long intro of no more sorrow is boring, just for opens the show works!

i hope w&k is the next single becouse i have a funny feeling it might be when they come for me instead but i want w&k though

But I hope Blackout will be 5th single, this is the best song from ATS.

and my favorite song from ATS.

But I hope Blackout will be 5th single, this is the best song from ATS.

and my favorite song from ATS.

Wretches and Kings has more commercial appeal than both WTCFM and Blackout. Even though there is probably not going to be another single. To be honest, I don't think there needs to be at this point.

OMG So not correct! It was (not 100% but 95% sure)

The Requiem / Savio Speech

Faint

Papercut

Lying From You

Given Up

New Divide

Empty Spaces

When They Come For Me

No More Sorrow

From The Inside

Jornada Del Muerto

Waiting For The End

Numb

The Radiance

Breaking the Habit

Wisdom Justice & Love

Iridescent

The Catalyst

In The End

What I've Done

Crawling

Bleed it out (APFMY Bridge)

And yes, no Encore.

Crowd was CRAZY!!! Pushing all the time, many people had to be dragged out. But all the people sang along, even with the new songs (in this matter, they were much better than Germany) and of cours jumping and stuff, so pretty cool.

In the beginning (at least in the front rows) we couldn't hear LP at all, the crowd was much louder... so I guess some technical difficulties or bad preparation or even just a limitation by the organizers of the festival? After New Divide it was better, but still too quiet.

Edited by Jacrid

I don't understand why people assume there will be another single for ATS. We've already had 4 and after the September shows in Asia, LP is returning back to the studio to work more on the new album. So it wouldn't make much sense, but who knows. If there does happen to be another single, I'd love for it to be either When They Come For Me or Blackout.

OMG So not correct! It was (not 100% but 95% sure)

The Requiem / Savio Speech

Faint

Papercut

Lying From You

Given Up

New Divide

Empty Spaces

When They Come For Me

No More Sorrow

From The Inside

Jornada Del Muerto

Waiting For The End

Numb

The Radiance

Breaking the Habit

Wisdom Justice & Love

Iridescent

The Catalyst

In The End

What I've Done

Crawling

Bleed it out (APFMH Bridge)

And yes, no Encore.

Crowd was CRAZY!!! Pushing all the time, many people had to be dragged out. But all the people sang along, even with the new songs (in this matter, they were much better than Germany) and of cours jumping and stuff, so pretty cool.

In the beginning (at least in the front rows) we couldn't hear LP at all, the crowd was much louder... so I guess some technical difficulties or bad preparation or even just a limitation by the organizers of the festival? After New Divide it was better, but still too quiet.

thx fixed the main post :)

Dropping OSC is not a good thing at all imo, this song is killer live. If they want to drop an older song, let's do it with "Crawling", it has become boring, and Chester can't perform it the way he used to do..