Linkin Park 'Challenge' Themselves On New Album

ThePretender

I've never agreed so much with one post before. Wow. You have EXACTLY the same thoughts as I do. Very nice.

Meteora is just...wow. Such a good album, I love it start to end. LP really proved themselves with it.

Haha I'm glad someone shares my opinion down to a T like that. Meteora really did a number on me. I know it did cause I didn't mind hearing them all the time on the radio. Meteora owned the charts for a good year+. I don't know what my deal was with Hybrid Theory but I hated hearing Crawling or In The End on the radio, especially Crawling. I think that's the most classic song on that album, besides my favorite Papercut lol. I still love listening to those albums through and through. I got a playlist with every song they've recorded in a studio and just chill for a few hours and play it. Meteora seems like it flies by but it still hits me the same as the first listen but each time I feel like I hear something new, whether it be a lyric's meaning or the instruments. And I'm blabbering, I do that when it comes to LP lol. I love having discussions about them, and I especially love listening/reading haters talk trash on them, more notably the ones who say they suck with no clear reasons other than bias taste. They're the most successful rock band of the decade, and they're shaping a new age of rock. I think their status alone blocks all the hating lol

Yeah i agree. it took a really long time for me to like Minutes to Midnight. but slowly as i started to listen to other stuff i went back and listened to it and i realized the songs are truly amazing when you think about. Im really looking forward to the new album because of the fact if they are able to successfully combine the HT/Meteora sound with the MTM sound plus add in more new stuff that album is gonna be the greatest that comes out this year.

I agree. I mean I love the album, but what disappointed me was letting my expectations getting the best of me. When you hear songs like What I've Done, Given Up, No More Sorrow, And Bleed It Out before the albums release you'd think the whole album would sound like that. If it did I would have a very different opinion of the album. Don't get me wrong, I love Leave Out All The Rest, Shadow Of The Day, Valentine's Day, Little Things Give You Away, but the album as a whole just doesn't generate the same feel as the others. In Between should've been replaced with No Roads Left, and In Pieces I just don't favor as a great LP song.

This great, now I am even more excited about the new album!

Hybrid Theory and Meteora where great, and Minutes to Midnight while being great didn't have as much "rock" in it as the other two albums. I so hope they go back and do some Meteora and Hybrid Theory music again.

Minutes to Midnight was more rock than Hybrid Theory and Meteora combined :blink:

Get your ears checked man.

...coming from the person who complains about MTM lacking hip-hop.

MTM didn't use as much electronic and hip-hop than the other albums. Instead it focused on more "raw" influences.

Since when is hard rock and screaming the only type of rock music?

Worst LP news article I've seen in a long time. Reporter shouldn't get paid for that interview, if not fired if that's the standard from them.

the "roots" cannot mean talking about the studios without a serious perversion of the meaning of roots. If it does mean that literally, the context doesn't say that at ALL. That's lies.

...coming from the person who complains about MTM lacking hip-hop.

MTM didn't use as much electronic and hip-hop than the other albums. Instead it focused on more "raw" influences.

Since when is hard rock and screaming the only type of rock music?

MTM is more alt than rock.

Amen. I know I've said this before...but even if New Divide and Not Alone fit the vague description which the band has given us for the next album, I just have a feeling that the new album isn't going to sound like either of those songs. There's just no real way of knowing what it's going to sound like though until something leaks or we get a real detail. I don't need to remind myself of what happened with Qwerty. M2M sounded nothing like Qwerty. And I think there's a good chance the new album won't sound like Not Alone or New Divide.

well of course it won't sound anything like those two...Not Alone is a demo from the M 2 M sessions, so it has nothing to do with the new album... New Divide though is a better clue because it has that electronic feel to it, which they've been talking about.But again, ND was made to fit the movie and not the new album (unless the new album has been really influenced by Transformers which I really doubt). From what I've heard so far I believe the new album is gonna be: electronics+beats+more rapping+poppy vocals +hopefully a bit heavier than M2M

EDIT: maybe hopefully a LOT heavier than M2M...we dont want 5 ballads again

Edited by VavourasLP

I hate when people label everything, it's so annoying. If the music is good than it's good music. End of story. At least wait until the first single comes out to start judging the album instead of basing your opinions off of some shitty interview.

Edited by Geki

You know, thinking about it, Linkin Park is a lot like Slipknot in a sense. Hybrid Theory was their first album, and with that album they came out with a unique sound that was all their own and hooked people right away. Slipknot did this exact same thing with their self-titled debut. Meteora showed that they could replicate that sound and make it even better the second time around. Slipknot did the same thing with Iowa. Minutes to Midnight was the result of LP's experimentation with redefining their sound and making something new. Slipknot's Vol:3 was like that too, they actually had ballads and not so heavy songs. And both of those albums were recorded in the same mansion. Slipknot's fourth album, All Hope Is Gone, was a nice combination of their experimental stuff from Vol:3 and their original heavy sound from their first two albums. And I honestly think it has ended up being their best record yet. I can see Linkin Park doing the same thing with their upcoming fourth album.

Amen. I know I've said this before...but even if New Divide and Not Alone fit the vague description which the band has given us for the next album, I just have a feeling that the new album isn't going to sound like either of those songs. There's just no real way of knowing what it's going to sound like though until something leaks or we get a real detail. I don't need to remind myself of what happened with Qwerty. M2M sounded nothing like Qwerty. And I think there's a good chance the new album won't sound like Not Alone or New Divide.

Amen to you too.Exactly what I thought.

And to all of those people that want a release date...WAKE UP!!!

They're only a bit more than halfway done with the album! The album isn't even gonna come out in half a year or more and how could they tell you the release date if they're still working on it and they don't know what could happen... They could turn in a totally different direction...

Edited by SlimQ

That's correct. Reanimation was worked on all over the place, in as many as 50+ different locations over the course of the year. Mike was doing the majority of the work of course. Obviously the majority of MTM was recorded at Rick Rubin's place, hence the different drum sound amongst other small nuances, but overall every album has been worked on in some way at NRG.

That's just NRG, LP always records at NRG. Every album LP has made has been worked on in some way or another at NRG with I BELIEVE an exception for Reanimation. I know for sure Hybrid Theory, Meteora, Collision Course, Minutes To Midnight and the new album were all worked on at NRG.

and In Pieces I just don't favor as a great LP song.

I think In Pieces was one of the strongest songs on the album and should've definitely been picked as a single instead of shadow of the day for example (or Bleed it out, as the album version isn't that great, but rocks live obviously)

and like...Across the Line would have killed it...still shocking for me, why they didn't include it on the album

Edited by Derbyster

I think In Pieces was one of the strongest songs on the album and should've definitely been picked as a single instead of shadow of the day for example (or Bleed it out, as the album version isn't that great, but rocks live obviously)

and like...Across the Line would have killed it...still shocking for me, why they didn't include it on the album

In Pieces should have been picked instead of Given Up or Bleed It Out...they didn't do too well in the charts but Shadow Of The Day did really well so why was that a mistake?

I know bands hate repeating themselves...but i did not buy Hybrid Theory because of Linkin Park as individuals.....I bought it because of it's sound. I was dissappointed with MTM with the departure of the sound I fell in love with.

Bands sound realise this before they go "we want to change"....fair enough.....but it's like making a new band when they change.

I am ready to be flamed (puts on flameproof jacket)

1)On the interview: nothing new, it's always the same things that are remaining..."Something totally new, never heard before"/" Can't classify it into a genre"/...

2)On the "Back to the roots" debat: like it happened with other guys here, Hybrid Theory is THE album that put me into music...Before that, there wasn't a fucking song I could listen to. But when I heard OSC for the first time, I was like "WTF"...Then I bought Hybrid Theory and I was totally amazed by the other songs too. However, I don't want a record with same sound anymore. The reason is: it would simply be annoying, and have a negative effect on the Hybrid Theory "value". It's a question of psychology: more something is unique, more people are giving value to it. Tourists are according more interest to the Statue Of Liberty than to an electric pole because there is one Statue Of Liberty and millions of electric poles. It's the same here...At the moment, we can say there is 1 Hybrid Theory (or 2, if we count Meteora), and it's the main reason why this album is so appreciated by the fans. If there was a third record with the same sound, the value of Ht/Meteora/3 record would inevitably decrease. With a fourth record sounding like the 3 others, the decreasing would continue...and in the end, fans would lose their interest for LP. For example, there is a band called Static-X that I really liked before but not so today. Why? Because they kept the same sound over the years and their different albums. As result, when a new record of them comes out, I know exactly how it will sound like, and I listen to it maybe 1 or 2 times before to get bored....

***One the other side, I hope we won't receive a pop/soft album again. I think LP can both be heavy and make something new....

3)

who cares about the singles..?really..

I, I care about the singles! But it's only because 1 single = 1 video (generally) Edited by Qwerty18