Mike's Update

Yass

Well they have been in the studio for well over a year now, and everyone is so excited now because of "5 songs." Well, at that rate, we might not have a new album for another year. Just saying.

"a genre busting album." They thought MTM would be that, and sorry, but it wasn't.

You have to understand though that the past year has been them making demos, not full songs.

The 5 songs that were just completed were 5 of those song ideas being pushed into full songs. And they did that in about a month. Don't think that it took them a year to make 5 songs, that isnt how they are operating. They took a year to make all the song ideas they have thus far, and now they are taking the best ones and finishing them. At the rate of 5 demos being finished per month, we should have an album by June if you ask me.

And I don't think they ever said MtM was genre-busting, but if you can find me that quote please do. Because it is not a "genre busting" album. What it is, is a genre variety. It has punk rock, hard rock, alternative, pop, indie, and rap-rock all on the same album.

Well, I am glad you feel that it is a genre BUSTING album. But it's not. Sure, it was significantly different for LP but it obviously didn't melt anyone in rock music... in fact, from what I gather, it soured more casual fans than it gained. I never said I didn't like MTM. It's my least favorite LP piece but Given Up, No More Sorrow, and What I've Done are stellar tracks. I may prefer harder, heavier music but I can also appreciate a band's change of direction. I just think LP changed their direction a little far and didn't create a very listenable record much like Hybrid Theory and Meteora are. I respect all the tracks on MTM... however, most of them, in my opinion, are not a true representation of the band.

LOL @ you mentioning Bleed It Out, obviously the most similar track to anything they had done previously and one of their most weak studio tracks ever.

Yes, but you just said, your opinion is that it wasn't genre busting album, which is fine, but other people who have their individual opinions, such as myself, may think otherwise. I said that BIO was still different than previous LP songs because it is. It's similar in ways, but it's still a tad different IMO. I also happen to find MTM more listenable than Hybrid Theory and Meteora, but again, that is my opinion.

Im not deciding what we want im generalising and dont tell me its not true if we could ask all the lp fans they'd rather have a HT album style.

I guess in most cases, yes, people want an album like HT. It was an awesome album for its time and is still to this day one of my top ten.

But as Mike said on billboard.com they mentely want to going back to HT but still make something new and fresh. I think this statement alone is something that should make LP fans excited and maybe a little worried cause we still don't know just how this sound will sound.

I don't want another album that sounds like HT. I want this album to have its own sound, but still have "traces" of what makes LP awesome.

Edited by Red_Zero

You have to understand though that the past year has been them making demos, not full songs.

The 5 songs that were just completed were 5 of those song ideas being pushed into full songs. And they did that in about a month. Don't think that it took them a year to make 5 songs, that isnt how they are operating. They took a year to make all the song ideas they have thus far, and now they are taking the best ones and finishing them. At the rate of 5 demos being finished per month, we should have an album by June if you ask me.

And I don't think they ever said MtM was genre-busting, but if you can find me that quote please do. Because it is not a "genre busting" album. What it is, is a genre variety. It has punk rock, hard rock, alternative, pop, indie, and rap-rock all on the same album.

First off, if you read what I said, I was referring to the new album as a "genre busting album" not MTM. I read, in one of the interviews from the past year, where Mike said something along those lines trying to describe what they wanted to do with the new album. But, hey, in my opinion, that's a fairy generic term because it seems like LP is always wanting to make that genre busting album. Well, actually, their first try, Hybrid Theory was actually that. MTM is nothing of a "genre busting album" but rather an attempt by a band wanting a new identity and to get out of that "nu-metal" shell. However, while I applaud the band for going outside of the box where some bands who are successful wouldn't, I think overall they failed in making a completely original and different record. Yeah, it was different for LP. But not very much different than anything that can be heard on rock and pop radio stations throughout the world.

I'm also smart enough to realize they have not just "come up" with 5 song in a year at a studio. However, I just do not understand why they feel they have to take so long when other bands can complete albums in 3-4 months including mixing and mastering. Some of those records suck; some can be considered that band's best material. Point is, a year would be OK at making a record but the fact is it has been over a year and we're still not seeing much light at the end of the tunnel. And, of course let me point again, that MTM is 2.5 years old.... yeah they toured a ton but they also write a ton on the road and in between legs. Just sayin'.

First off, if you read what I said, I was referring to the new album as a "genre busting album" not MTM. I read, in one of the interviews from the past year, where Mike said something along those lines trying to describe what they wanted to do with the new album. But, hey, in my opinion, that's a fairy generic term because it seems like LP is always wanting to make that genre busting album. Well, actually, their first try, Hybrid Theory was actually that. MTM is nothing of a "genre busting album" but rather an attempt by a band wanting a new identity and to get out of that "nu-metal" shell. However, while I applaud the band for going outside of the box where some bands who are successful wouldn't, I think overall they failed in making a completely original and different record. Yeah, it was different for LP. But not very much different than anything that can be heard on rock and pop radio stations throughout the world.

Couldn't have said it better. MTM is far from a genre-busting album, if you ask me. It was an attempt at doing something different and to grow as a band but it is totally lacking originality IMO.

Couldn't have said it better. MTM is far from a genre-busting album, if you ask me. It was an attempt at doing something different and to grow as a band but it is totally lacking originality IMO.

Though it may not be as "original" as some would like, it would definitely be more original than if they were to make another album like Hybrid Theory and Meteora.

I guess in most cases, yes, people want an album like HT. It was an awesome album for its time and is still to this day one of my top ten.

But as Mike said on billboard.com they mentely want to going back to HT but still make something new and fresh. I think this statement alone is something that should make LP fans excited and maybe a little worried cause we still don't know just how this sound will sound.

I don't want another album that sounds like HT. I want this album to have its own sound, but still have "traces" of what makes LP awesome.

That's what I want - an original sounding album, but one that you can instantly recognize as Linkin Park by the feel of the song, not by Chester's vocals. When "What I've Done" came out, I had no idea that it was LP until I searched the lyrics. While it's a great song imo, it wasn't immediately recognizable. If the new album has a mix of tracks similar to LOATR, Faint, Don't Stay, What I've Done, and Across the Line, I feel it can have some great potential. I'd like to see more Mike rapping that isn't HHH style, more of Mr. Hahn, and the return of the HT/Meteora Chester scream, not the MTM scream.

i hope mike or one of the other guys gives us an update after monday^^

This. I hope Mike plans on updating after the band meeting Monday. I only say this cause the last time he said he would tell us what happen at a band meeting we didn't really find out anything until like a month later? :lol:

But when your working hard I guess its hard to keep up. I guess they got alot going on now with the iphone/ipod touch game maybe coming out this month with the new song.

I don't think LP should replicate the sounds of Hybrid Theory or Meteora but I do believe they should take the ideas and certain sounds that made them who they are and use those on the new record. Im talking about the heavy guitar rifts,rapping, scratching, the beats, and the sampling. They could still take all of those elements and make an album that sounds entirely new and different than we have heard in the past. Those are things that make LP LP. Minutes was a great album but imo it is not what you think of when you think of LP. Hopefully by Mike saying they want to get back to that Hybrid THeory mentality but not make another HT, would mean they are taking the ideas and sounds that made that signature sound and making something fresh. I see that as being the best route for them after a album like Minutes to Midnight.