Ultimate-Guitar Interview with Chester

thefly

Check out the latest interview with Chester on ultimate-guitar.com!

Excerpts:

I’ve been friends with Ryan and Amir for 10 years now – and close friends. We hang out. When I’m not touring with Linkin Park, I’m with Ryan and Amir. We have plans today where we’re hanging out at the pool. They’re more family than anything else.

Howard was on the list and said he was available to do it and work on it with me. I had met with a couple producers before. One I don’t want to name who it was because I don’t want to talk bad about him. It was the most uninspiring meeting that I’ve ever had. It was like, “Wow. I would rather cut my face off than to go through this again!”

The longer Linkin Park is around, the more difficult it is to find a place that we fit in best. Are we a pop band? Are we an alternative rock group? Are we a modern rock act? Are we a metal group? Or are we something else? Nobody knows what the hell is going on with us anymore, and I think that’s something that will propel us into being a better band in the future. I think it sets us apart. I do believe this [next Linkin Park] record is definitely going to help make that more difficult for people to understand. In terms of how it sounds, we’ve got 40 songs. A handful of them are amazing. A dozen or so are really good, and the rest could have potential. The ones that are pretty amazing and the ones that everyone is pretty much like, “As long as the lyrics are great, the song is a masterpiece” – they are really fucking good. It’s kind of nuts. From my perspective when I hear them, I can’t believe that I’m in this band. I can’t believe this is the stuff that I’m a part of making. I’m sharing the same stage as some of the most talented people in the world and have one of the best producers in the history of music. We’re making groundbreaking stuff, and it’s very strange to be part of that.

Full interview: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/...ing_i_want.html

Thoughts?

Edited by LESTAT
Edited for Newswire

My love-hate thing with LP is how perfectionist they are.

If they have a handful of amazing songs, and a dozen great ones, they could put an album out right now. But they choose to try and develop those songs with potential and see what happens with those.

I love that they try to make every song great but it does contribute to the slow-moving process of LP album making. They could always put the best stuff out now, without throwing away the songs with potential.

Interesting article indeed. One of the better ones. Always like it when they ask more "How is this compared to LP" than nothing but DBS questions. The thing on "Shadow" was very interesting.

But, again, the more I read these dang articles with Chester, the more I feel he is more dedicated to DBS than LP right now. I know this is an exciting time for Chaz, and even though I'm not real down with DBS, the logic is right. Just horrible timing man? Right in the middle of a big-time LP record? If DBS was not in the picture, I'd bet we have an album on the horizon. Either way, just the way they quote him or he talks just always makes it sound like: Linkin Park is his job, Dead By Sunrise is his time for fun. Weird perception, but thats what I've always just gathered and its one of the reason why I'm not a big DBS fan.

If they have a handful of amazing songs, and a dozen great ones, they could put an album out right now. But they choose to try and develop those songs with potential and see what happens with those.

I love that they try to make every song great but it does contribute to the slow-moving process of LP album making. They could always put the best stuff out now, without throwing away the songs with potential.

When he says they have 40 songs, that doesn't mean all of them are 100% complete. They could be just rough ideas, instrumentals, lyrics only or half finished songs that they know will be something good in its completed state.

Interesting article indeed. One of the better ones. Always like it when they ask more "How is this compared to LP" than nothing but DBS questions. The thing on "Shadow" was very interesting.

But, again, the more I read these dang articles with Chester, the more I feel he is more dedicated to DBS than LP right now. I know this is an exciting time for Chaz, and even though I'm not real down with DBS, the logic is right. Just horrible timing man? Right in the middle of a big-time LP record? If DBS was not in the picture, I'd bet we have an album on the horizon. Either way, just the way they quote him or he talks just always makes it sound like: Linkin Park is his job, Dead By Sunrise is his time for fun. Weird perception, but thats what I've always just gathered and its one of the reason why I'm not a big DBS fan.

I might be the only member that's afraid that Chester will leave Linkin Park. Lately he just seems like he isn't very fond of LP and he is getting over-confident with DBS. I really hope it doesn't happen...I know everyone will bash me for saying that but still it bothers me.

I might be the only member that's afraid that Chester will leave Linkin Park. Lately he just seems like he isn't very fond of LP and he is getting over-confident with DBS. I really hope it doesn't happen...I know everyone will bash me for saying that but still it bothers me.

I kind of thought about that too honestly but then i remember that without LP Chester would be nothing. I think now that he's able to write his type of songs with DBS, he's not afraid of presenting material to LP because, as he said he now knows how to write songs for LP and for DBS and i think that will allow him more room for each and can open up new doors as far as creativity goes.

Honestly, I've always kind of thought that was a possibility, especially lately. Who knows, even if they did break up we would have dbs and fort minor to fill our needs.

Same here although I'm sure they meant 40 song ideas or demos of some sort. Either way though, it sounds like they could definitely release this album in a few months but it'll probably be pushed back to next summer at the earliest. Waiting 3-4 years for an album is just ruining my love for this band.

i dont mind waiting 3-4 years IF its a great album. i fill in the time between albums seeing them live when possible. i understand peoples fears about chester leaving but i really dont see it happening. nothing in that interview made me feel that way. and lets say he IS feeling tempted to leave...i think OOA is going to fail (in sales and major reviews), and bring him back to reality.

i think OOA is going to fail (in sales and major reviews), and bring him back to reality.

I don't think sales and major reviews can change Chester's mind.

The critics have never been kind to any of Linkin Park albums.

Anyway, he's not an idiot to leave such a huge money machine like Linkin Park.

He will stay in this band no matter what. Even if he would hate all of its members and their music with passion.

But if he will leave the band, it will be done to make a huge comeback a few years later to grab even more money.

Linkin Park is just a huge money machine. DBS is Chester's passion.....and a huge money machine for Julien-K guys.

I wonder if he's talking about Don Gilmore.

I actually thought the same thing but we don't know. I just know that I loved Gilmore's production on the first two albums a lot more than what Rick Rubin did with MTM.

By the way, this was a really interesting interview with great questions and great answers! I enjoyed the read a lot!

I don't think sales and major reviews can change Chester's mind.

The critics have never been kind to any of Linkin Park albums.

Anyway, he's not an idiot to leave such a huge money machine like Linkin Park.

He will stay in this band no matter what. Even if he would hate all of its members and their music with passion.

But if he will leave the band, it will be done to make a huge comeback a few years later to grab even more money.

Linkin Park is just a huge money machine. DBS is Chester's passion.....and a huge money machine for Julien-K guys.

maybe you are right. i have no idea what motivates chester nor does anyone else on this forum, but money (SALES) is a pretty huge factor. for that reason alone he will never leave LP.

interview was awesome btw

i agree that chester wont leave LP to much of a money maker. i meen dbs are geting noticed really well in usa, but here in th uk not so much. reviews for the band have been awful, promision sucks over here, crawl back in hasint done nothin here. i could see dbs doing that london gig. but i could see dbs just doing shows in usa cose there doin nothin over here ppl dont like them, i like them lots, but ppl iv talked to still dislike them after sonisphere. i talked to 15 ppl who have hurd the album and they called it emo shit and this is from lp fans. im geting a feeling sonisphere was my first and only time to see them live

Edited by sian18

i agree that chester wont leave LP to much of a money maker. i meen dbs are geting noticed really well in usa, but here in th uk not so much. reviews for the band have been awful, promision sucks over here, crawl back in hasint done nothin here. i could see dbs doing that london gig. but i could see dbs just doing shows in usa cose there doin nothin over here ppl dont like them, i like them lots, but ppl iv talked to still dislike them after sonisphere. i talked to 15 ppl who have hurd the album and they called it emo shit and this is from lp fans. im geting a feeling sonisphere was my first and only time to see them live

Thats the problem with the UK nowadays. No one like anything unless its British <_<

He did promise they'd come back to london so I'd be gutted if DBS dont for at least one show.

I garentte it'll do well, even if its just the hardcore fans like you and me that go.