LP Albums And Rarities For Every 20th Anniversariy Album Edition.

AJ93

20 hours ago, lpliveusername said:

If it was released as a bonus track on A Thousand Suns, it's a b-side from A Thousand Suns.

Many bands reuse old songs, that's nothing new. Slipknot just released a song they wrote during The Gray Chapter era, Flyleaf's 3rd album New Horizons had a song called Broken Wings that dates back to one of their first demos that they recorded under another band name, She Loves Me Not by Papa Roach was written for Infest and released as a single from lovehatetragedy (Walking Through Barbed Wire from this album was another song they left out of Infest), AFI released songs from the Sing The Sorrow and Decemberunderground sessions as bonus tracks for Crash Love, Sheer Heart Attack by Queen was written for the 1974 album with the same name but only released in their 1977 album News Of The World, and there are many more examples. Those songs are always associated with the year / album cycle they were actually released. Why should it be different for Linkin Park?

I still consider it a MTM bside. Considering you can see that the strings were already being recorded I don’t think there was much work done after. That said it came out before ATS so it’s either a MTM b-side or a non album song

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, martinez said:

So the question is, are they should to include the demo/alternate version of the song on MTM or ATS? Because from what he said it means they change something in the song before they added it to the game.

Sure. That would be interesting. They could include demos of The Last Line and Not Alone on Minutes To Midnight too. I would be interested in hearing what they sounded like in 2007.

On A Thousand Suns they could release the original long demo of Powerless and a demo of Castle Of Glass.

8 hours ago, martinez said:

I think it was just "Blackbirds (From The 8-Bit Rebellion! App)", without the "Non-Album Track"

http://web.archive.org/web/20110320013455/http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/a-thousand-suns-deluxe-version/id389739922

3 hours ago, AJ93 said:

So, what do they call if they don't use A-Side and B-Side?

A-Side and B-Side originated when singles were released in vinyl format. The A-Side (Side 1) of a single had the title song which was meant for radio airplay and the B-Side (Side 2) of the disc would have an extra song not deemed as important as the A-Side and not intended for airplay. There were also cases of double singles on which both sides were considered A-Sides, meaning both songs were intended for airplay. The only Linkin Park example I can think of is Pts.Of.Athrty / H! Vltg3.

After the creation of CDs, the term B-Side started being used for any track in a single that's not the title track. In the One Step Closer single for instance, we have One Step Closer as the A-Side and My December and High Voltage as B-Sides. The "B-Side Rarities" disc on the 20th anniversary edition of Hybrid Theory consists of B-Sides from the singles of One Step Closer, Crawling, In The End, Papercut and Pts.Of.Athrty.

In the current digital era, a B-Side is basically any song that wasn't released in the standard edition of an album (songs a band didn't consider important enough to be in the main album). Very often, B-Sides from the singles were also used as bonus tracks for studio albums (not as common now that singles became mainly 1-song digital releases). Back in the day it was common practice for labels to release albums at different dates in different countries with different tracklists (nowadays this still happens in Japan). Sometimes there were editions exclusive to certain stores as well (still happens in the US). The bonus tracks from all those different editions were usually the B-Sides from the singles, but they could also be tracks from compilations, soundtracks, songs previously released somewhere else or sometimes previously unreleased tracks (more common now with the deluxe editions of albums being released a full year after the standard edition). They might be cover songs, live songs, remixes or a song that didn't make any album. Since there were so many different editions of albums being released in different places, sometimes bands reused those B-Sides for multiple albums because a certain track hadn't been released in a certain place before. Linkin Park did this with the live version of One Step Closer (B-Side from the Faint single), releasing it as a bonus track for both Reanimation and Meteora.

On A Thousand Suns we had the B-Side of The Catalyst single as a bonus track for Japan, the NoBraiN remix of The Catalyst (winner of the remix contest) as a bonus track for HMV and Blackbirds (from the 8-bit Rebellion! soundtrack) as a bonus track for iTunes. Because they're bonus tracks for A Thousand Suns and never officially associated with any other album, they're technically A Thousand Suns b-sides.

28 minutes ago, lpliveusername said:

Sure. That would be interesting. They could include demos of The Last Line and Not Alone on Minutes To Midnight too. I would be interested in hearing what they sounded like in 2007.

On A Thousand Suns they could release the original long demo of Powerless and a demo of Castle Of Glass.

http://web.archive.org/web/20110320013455/http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/a-thousand-suns-deluxe-version/id389739922

A-Side and B-Side originated when singles were released in vinyl format. The A-Side (Side 1) of a single had the title song which was meant for radio airplay and the B-Side (Side 2) of the disc would have an extra song not deemed as important as the A-Side and not intended for airplay. There were also cases of double singles on which both sides were considered A-Sides, meaning both songs were intended for airplay. The only Linkin Park example I can think of is Pts.Of.Athrty / H! Vltg3.

After the creation of CDs, the term B-Side started being used for any track in a single that's not the title track. In the One Step Closer single for instance, we have One Step Closer as the A-Side and My December and High Voltage as B-Sides. The "B-Side Rarities" disc on the 20th anniversary edition of Hybrid Theory consists of B-Sides from the singles of One Step Closer, Crawling, In The End, Papercut and Pts.Of.Athrty.

In the current digital era, a B-Side is basically any song that wasn't released in the standard edition of an album (songs a band didn't consider important enough to be in the main album). Very often, B-Sides from the singles were also used as bonus tracks for studio albums (not as common now that singles became mainly 1-song digital releases). Back in the day it was common practice for labels to release albums at different dates in different countries with different tracklists (nowadays this still happens in Japan). Sometimes there were editions exclusive to certain stores as well (still happens in the US). The bonus tracks from all those different editions were usually the B-Sides from the singles, but they could also be tracks from compilations, soundtracks, songs previously released somewhere else or sometimes previously unreleased tracks (more common now with the deluxe editions of albums being released a full year after the standard edition). They might be cover songs, live songs, remixes or a song that didn't make any album. Since there were so many different editions of albums being released in different places, sometimes bands reused those B-Sides for multiple albums because a certain track hadn't been released in a certain place before. Linkin Park did this with the live version of One Step Closer (B-Side from the Faint single), releasing it as a bonus track for both Reanimation and Meteora.

On A Thousand Suns we had the B-Side of The Catalyst single as a bonus track for Japan, the NoBraiN remix of The Catalyst (winner of the remix contest) as a bonus track for HMV and Blackbirds (from the 8-bit Rebellion! soundtrack) as a bonus track for iTunes. Because they're bonus tracks for A Thousand Suns and never officially associated with any other album, they're technically A Thousand Suns b-sides.

i see. but i take it that there's no b-side later on in a near future like mid-2020s right?

but also, there are some finalized songs that didn't make it on time. i mean if you watch ATS documentary, there's like alot of deadline date (months) in each section and damn, that waass kinda like scary to rush and releasse the album before the deadline. thats just my theory.

On 2/19/2023 at 9:48 PM, AJ93 said:

i see. but i take it that there's no b-side later on in a near future like mid-2020s right?

It has now become common practice for bands to release all the singles before the album and release b-sides afterwards to keep the listeners interest. Most of the time it's alternative versions of songs from the album, but sometimes bands release songs that didn't make the album as well. For instance, Papa Roach recently released re-recordings of two singles from their latest album featuring additional vocals by Hollywood Undead and Beartooth. As an example of the latter, AFI released Caught as a digital single after the release of their latest album Bodies. Another common practice nowadays is to release deluxe editions of the albums only a year after the initial album release (while back in the day both standard and deluxe editions came out on the same day) and those deluxe editions usually include the songs that didn't make the standard edition of the album and might include the previously mentioned alternative versions of songs as well. An example is Skillet who just released the deluxe edition of their 2022 album Dominion. All those extra tracks can be considered b-sides.

On 2/19/2023 at 9:48 PM, AJ93 said:

but also, there are some finalized songs that didn't make it on time. i mean if you watch ATS documentary, there's like alot of deadline date (months) in each section and damn, that waass kinda like scary to rush and releasse the album before the deadline. thats just my theory.

Right, they surely had some songs that were pretty far in the process, but didn't make the record or were left unfinished. I'll Be Gone, Castle Of Glass, Lies Greed Misery, Powerless and The Last Line (actually started for Minutes To Midnight) were all leftovers from A Thousand Suns. However, I don't think any of the songs that made the album are there just because they had to rush to meet a deadline. When it comes to A Thousand Suns, we have to keep in mind that it was a concept album, so anything the band thought that wouldn't fit the concept was left out.

On 2/7/2023 at 5:31 PM, JZ-GreyDaze said:

Blackout versions missing:

BLACK OUT FIFA 11: 

• Censored.
  • Different mix.
  • At the end of the song, Mike sings "We've been waiting to collect the things you know" twice instead of changing the second line to "We've been waiting to collect what you've let go".

BLACKOUT A Thousand Suns (AU Album Advance)

• On September 3, 2010, the Australian website The Music Network posted a review of A Thousand Suns, according to which "Blackout" had the same lyrics as the LPTV episode "Blackout" Freestyle.
  • While this version of the song has never surfaced to the public, it is important noting that it exists and it is out there.

Oh my god playing FIFA while blasting Blackout alt. Version ❤️ it’s been over a decade can’t believe it 

On 2/20/2023 at 1:14 AM, lpliveusername said:

Oh, ok, so that's the same link I have there which is for US edition, the song on the international edition had the name: Blackbirds (From The 8-Bit Rebellion! App)

I think that the way how the song was called in the US edition was a mistake on the tracklist in the iTunes store, because I have it and the even the file name is 18 Blackbirds (From the 8-Bit Rebellion! App).m4a, also the song has the same name in the iTunes LP menu.

I'll Be Gone, Castle Of Glass, Lies Greed Misery, Powerless

I think the demos of all above will end up on LT20.

14 hours ago, LPsMart said:

didn't he want the unfixed version?

i will do that on my ms document. but not now on the topic.

10 hours ago, martinez said:

Oh, ok, so that's the same link I have there which is for US edition, the song on the international edition had the name: Blackbirds (From The 8-Bit Rebellion! App)

I think that the way how the song was called in the US edition was a mistake on the tracklist in the iTunes store, because I have it and the even the file name is 18 Blackbirds (From the 8-Bit Rebellion! App).m4a, also the song has the same name in the iTunes LP menu.

I think the demos of all above will end up on LT20.

Also, since there's only one demo called The Glistening for THP. are there any more demo titles for THP? please let me know.

1 hour ago, AJ93 said:

Also, since there's only one demo called The Glistening for THP. are there any more demo titles for THP? please let me know.

Known working titles:

- Coffee (Keys To The Kingdom)
- True Chainz (All For Nothing)
- Blinky (Guilty All The Same)
- Warrior (War)
- Artillery (Wastelands)
- Thanksgiving (Until It's Gone)
- Plato (Mark The Graves)
- Drawbar (Final Masquerade)
- Odyssey (A Line In The Sand)

Known unreleased titles:

- Apes
- Control
- Lifejacket / Spotify
- The Glistening

LPU Tracks:

- Can't Hurt Me

Possibly worked during The Hunting Party sessions:

- White Noise (Mall soundtrack)

- Horizons (Darker Than Blood) [Started in 2013 with Victorious (A Light That Never Comes)]

10 hours ago, martinez said:

I actually have Blackbirds with the "Non-Album Track" thing since 2010. I've never had an iTunes account though.

2 hours ago, AJ93 said:

There's a couple more things you forgot for 'The Hunting Party'. You forgot "Final Masquarade (Acoustic)". You also forgot about there being an early version of "War". Here's the information about it on Linkinpedia: "Very little changed between the demo version of the song, and the track found on The Hunting Party, though an early version of the track did have Chester yelling "1-2-1-2-FUCK-YOU" instead of the "1-2-1-2-THANK-YOU" that made the album."

Edited by NJPLP

9 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

There's a couple more things you forgot for 'The Hunting Party'. You forgot "Final Masquarade (Acoustic)". You also forgot about there being an early version of "War". Here's the information about it on Linkinpedia: "Very little changed between the demo version of the song, and the track found on The Hunting Party, though an early version of the track did have Chester yelling "1-2-1-2-FUCK-YOU" instead of the "1-2-1-2-THANK-YOU" that made the album."

i'll do it on my ms document. but not now on topic.

Edited by AJ93

I just went through the main post and noticed a few things about Minutes To Midnight:

Road To Revolution is listed as the officially released CD / audio-only version. They removed Wake 2.0, Somewhere I Belong, Papercut and Points Of Authority from the release. On the DVD, they added Somewhere I Belong, Papercut and Points Of Authority as bonus tracks that are unblocked after you finish watching the show, but Wake 2.0 remains unreleased in any form. The best thing to do would be to restore the full show with the missing songs and in its original order just like they did with Live In Texas for the 20th anniversary of Meteora. Would certainly justify having this show there.

Not Alone is listed as a Minutes To Midnight b-side, but in 2010 the band actually scrapped all the previously recorded vocals and wrote entirely new lyrics for the song for inclusion in the Download To Donate For Haiti album. It should be listed as an A Thousand Suns b-side.

Across The Line is listed as "Across The Road" in the b-sides list as somebody else mentioned. Pretend To Be is listed as "Pretended To Be". Another correction on Pretend To Be: the version we have was actually done in 2008. The band worked on the song that year. So the "2008" date is not a mistake.

We Made It had two versions recorded: a dirty and a clean version. Each with different lyrics. The version used in the music video and the single is the clean version. The dirty version is harder to come by because it isn't available in digital platforms and was only used in the US promo CD / vinyl. By the way, I guess you can add We Made It to the music videos list.

===========================================================

Things I noticed in the A Thousand Suns list:

The b-sides list is missing Issho Ni from the Download To Donate: Tsunami Relief album.

New Divide (Live In Madrid) is listed twice. By the way, all "Live In Madrid" (Puerta De Alcalá EP) tracks were released as well in the A Thousand Suns+ DVD in 2011. The DVD had the entire show in both audio and video format with the exception of Wisdom, Justice And Love which was removed for copyright reasons. Maybe they could work something out with the Martin Luther King Jr. family to release this song.

You listed New Divide as a bonus track for the album in several stores, but the bonus track on those places was actually the NoBraiN remix of The Catalyst. The studio version of New Divide was never a bonus track on the album, but a live version (taken from The Catalyst single) was used as a bonus track for the Japanese edition of the album.

On the LPU list, you included a demo version of Blackout, but no demo of Blackout was ever released to the LPU.

What is "Empty Spaces/When They Come For Me"?

===========================================================

On The Hunting Party:

You listed "The Hunting Party DVD" and "The Hunting Party: Live From Mexico". They are the same thing. There was only 1 bonus DVD for the album.

I think the LPU tracks from 2015 should be listed under One More Light.

Do we really only have one Hunting Party demo title? That's crazy. There's gotta be at least some interesting alternate melodies/lyrics to the songs we got, if not more unheard tracks. We know the outro of All For Nothing is something

• 1 month later...

I am doubtful they will make a 20th edition for each album (especially anything post ATS) but I really, really, really wish there will be one for MTM. That is probably their last huge album in term of commercial success, so it is not impossible.

Think about the crazy amount of material from that era.  You can literally make your own custom  "MTM Part 2" already. Below is one example that I have fun listening to, it flows rather smoothly 😛 Currently, all those songs are spread about everywhere, it would be awesome to have it all collected in one single release  😇 

1. What We Don't Know (LPU10)

2. Across The Line (LPU9)

3. Qwerty (Studio version - LPU6)

4. The Last line (The Mall soundtrack)

5. Chances of Rain (LPU15)

6. Blackbirds (ATS Bonus)

7.  Divided (LPU10)

8. Pretend to Be (LPU10)

9. Not Alone (Download To Donate)

10. No Roads Left (MTM Bonus)

Edited by Qwerty18

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a thread we can discuss what would maybe be on ATS 20 in 2030 when the time comes. Mike has said he would love to do a box set for ATS personally. It’s also one of the fanbase’s favorite albums. 

CD’s

CD 1: The main album. Original mix is solid as is, not that they would want to remix the album anyways since they didn’t for HT or Meteora 20.

CD 2: Live In Madrid. They released the mp3 of this show for us as a bonus on the ATS+ DVD when you popped into your computer. The band loved this show, so why not give us it in full audio here? Good one to pick.

CD 3: Live In Red Square. The band gave us the full audio after we completed the Iridescent trading card game thing in 2011. The show was never released as a DSP but it’s basically a DSP they gave us. Once again, the band loved this show, so why not give us it in full audio here? Can even be a slightly different mix than what they gave us with the audio release in 2011.

CD 4: LPU Rarities. I’m going to list them in order that they came out originally just to keep track but they will alter the track listing like they did for past ones.

01. I Have Not Begun (Unreleased Demo 2009)

02. Robot Boy (Test Mix, Optional Vocal Take)

03. Primo (I’ll Be Gone - Longform 2010 Demo)

04. Aubrey One (2009 Demo)

05. Malathion + Tritonus (2008 Berlin Demo)

06. Berlin One, Version C (2009 Demo)

07. Blanka (2008 Demo)

08. Dave Sbeat (Feat. Joe) (2009)

09. Froctagon (2009 Demo)

10. Basil (2008 Demo)

11. TooLeGit (2010 Demo)

12. Grudgematch (2009 Demo)

13. The Catalyst (2010 Demo)

14. Consequence A (2010 Demo)

15. Consequence B (2010 Demo)

16. Lies Greed Misery (2010 Demo)

17. Symphonies Of Light (2010 Demo)

CD 5: B-Side Rarities. The band will change the tracklisting order once again. I didn’t include every ATS remix but I did include the ones officially released. I don’t consider KickDrums or Dave Dresden’s WFTE remixes as officially released by the band. Same as SDC’s Robot Boy obviously, and a few of The Catalyst winners that weren’t on the EP I didn’t include because I don’t think the band would either. I was going to include Renholder’s Blackout remix but since he released that on Underworld idk if LP have the rights to put it on here, if they do, put it on here too. I also didn’t include the iTunes Fest tracks from the BID single because they will include that on LT20 like they did with the PR02 tracks from the SIB single on Meteora 20. I did put the iTunes Festival London EP on here though because we need it and Rolling In The Deep was a digital single. 

01. New Divide (Live) (From The Catalyst Single)

02. Waiting For The End (Glitch Mob Remix) (From Waiting For The End Single)

03. The Catalyst (‘’Guitarmagedon’’ DIOYY? Remix) (From Waiting For The End Single)

04. Blackout (RAC Remix) (From Promo CD)

05. When They Come For Me (Diplo Remix) (From DJ Hero 2)

06. Blackout (Live) (From Burning In The Skies Single)

07. When They Come For Me (Live) (From Burning In The Skies Single)

08. New Divide (From Iridescent Single) (This way we can get New Divide studio version of ATS20)

09. Iridescent (Energy Up Version) (From Iridescent Single)

10. Iridescent (Live) (iTunes Festival: London 2011 EP)

11. Waiting For The End (iTunes Festival: London 2011 EP)

12. Rolling In The Deep (iTunes Festival: London 2011 EP)

13. The Catalyst (iTunes Festival: London 2011 EP)

14. Papercut (iTunes Festival: London 2011 EP)

15. Bleed It Out (iTunes Festival: London 2011 EP)

16. Wretches (Remix) (From Apathy’s Lost And Found)

17. The Catalyst (NoBraiN Remix) (From ATS)

18. The Catalyst (King Fantastic Remix) (From The Catalyst EP)

19. The Catalyst (DJ Endorphin Remix) (From The Catalyst EP)

20. The Catalyst (Cale Pellick Remix) (From The Catalyst EP)

CD 6: ‘’Lost Demos’’. This could be whatever they want to give us in terms of ATS demos we don’t have. Infinite ideas. I would want for sure the LeftRight version with Chester shown on the Making Of, Chicken Basket, the demo shown during LPTV of Blackout with Chaz’s original verse, The Messenger with the English Country Pub shown during LPUTV, I would want maybe Chester singing BITS in full, who knows. And of course there are probably 1 or 2 songs that were fully done that were cut from ATS so those and other demos. Maybe Bruiser too.

DVD’s

DVD 1: Meeting Of A Thousand Suns. The making of.

DVD 2: LPTV footage of the band writing the album in 2009-2010. There is so much and so many funny moments and cool moments, etc. Include all that LPTV and LPUTV type stuff from the time period and maybe some new stuff like they did with Work In Progress. Could be an hour long DVD. Also make it full color not the black and white filter they used for ATS LPTV and LPUTV. 

DVD 3: NYC 2010. Here me out here. This was the first real ATS show and it was awesome. I was there. Not just being biased though, the crowd blew up. Band had great energy. LPLive recently put up higher quality videos from the show and they look good. They have the full show so give us it in full DVD. Also the debut of a lot of ATS songs (and really Kevin and Bean wasn’t a true show debut IMO so those songs too).

Since they can fit two shows on 1 DVD as we’ve seen with Meteora 20, how about another 2010 show from Europe. What’s a good one? Berlin? That one works. Maybe Tel Aviv if not. 

DVD 4: MSG 2011. Over the years many fans have come to love this show and consider it as like ‘’the RAR04’’ of the ATS era. And we know it was filmed in great quality for TV, etc. Put this bad boy on there in full. Plus it’s the main US tour for the album so it’s a good show to release in that respect too. 

Since they can fit two shows like we saw on Meteora 20 on a DVD, how about PR11? What was the biggest one? Hamburg? One of those shows. And if they want to do one last show, something from the Asian 2011 tour, Jakarta looked badass on LPTV, how about that one?

Vinyls

Main album

Madrid or Red Square?

Artbook

This could build on the original ATS deluxe art book from 2010. Just all the great ATS art that they had as well as photoshoots of the band, I’d love to get one when the band was on the beach in 2010, or the epic group photo with all the infra red lasers pointed on them. All that stuff. Also maybe a poster of something. 

Edited by Ex97

Great topic! Let me add my suggestions

B-Sides rarities: The DSP tracks goes off. I've always think that why I would want a couple of tracks on the CD if I have the full show in digital with the same quality?

DVDs: Fuck it, the MSG 11 is a MUST. I'll also add the iTunes show with the best quality and the Red Square. Also, a show with a rare setlist. Since you proposed the first show of the tour, I go with the last one. 

Vinyls: I don't care, honestly, Madrid would be cool. 

Would be cool for NOT ALONE to be part of some of those releases.

And i remember Mike and Chester had a studio session with WATSKY on July 2017. Could be the last recording ever from Chester. Guess it would fit on a OML 20th release.

Looking For An Answer could be on OML20th too.

Edited by vinifeijo

Would be cool if you add a section for Meteora and HT 30th Anniversary so we can add what's missing and that could be added in those releases.

On 4/18/2023 at 11:05 AM, vinifeijo said:

Would be cool for NOT ALONE to be part of some of those releases.

And i remember Mike and Chester had a studio session with WATSKY on July 2017. Could be the last recording ever from Chester. Guess it would fit on a OML 20th release.

Let's throw Cross Off too. If they added It's Going Down to HT20, Cross Off should be there too.

23 hours ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

Would be cool if you add a section for Meteora and HT 30th Anniversary so we can add what's missing and that could be added in those releases.

I hope if they do 30th anniversary releases they're something a lot smaller. Maybe a deluxe edition with a couple unreleased bonus tracks at most. I would hate for them to render the 20th anniversary sets pointless.