"Deftest" To Be Auctioned On May 19th, 2022

lpliveusername

A previously unknown Xero tape is being auctioned on May 19th to benefit the American Association for Suicide Prevention.

This tape comes from the personal collection of a music industry executive who received it from Mike Shinoda back in 1997 when Xero was just starting and trying to get signed.

The tracklist includes the song "Deftest" which in recent years has become a holy grail in the Linkin Park community. The tracklist will be coming soon from the seller, but at the moment we can tell you a full song ripped from the tape will be posted online as the date approaches.

Bidding starts on May 1st. Follow @theflotilla on Twitter for future updates.

FPiwk-Px-XEAABKZs.jpg

• lpliveusername changed the title to "Deftest" To Be Auctioned On May 19th, 2022
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/4/2022 at 10:52 PM, lpliveusername said:

The tracklist includes the song "Deftest" which in recent years has become a holy grail in the Linkin Park community. The tracklist will be coming soon from the seller, but at the moment we can tell you a full song ripped from the tape will be posted online as the date approaches.

Hopefully the song that got ripped from the tape is Deftest.

Also, I wonder what the full track listing of the tape is? 🤔

Edit: The ripped song from the tape is not “Deftest”, it’s something else, though, I’m unsure what song it is.

Edited by NJPLP

7 hours ago, NJPLP said:

Hopefully the song that got ripped from the tape is Deftest.

Also, I wonder what the full track listing of the tape is? 🤔

tbh i would be more surprised if it's a song that was never heard of before

On 4/5/2022 at 4:55 PM, MrS said:

tbh i would be more surprised if it's a song that was never heard of before

It could be anything, though the only thing we know is that she mentioned “Deftest” being on it, but that’s it.

Edited by NJPLP

1 hour ago, NJPLP said:

All the other tracks that are on the tape, whatever they are, are released and "Deftest" is the only song that is unreleased out of all the tracks on the tape.

oh so that means no Carousel or Slip with Mark?

16 minutes ago, Hybrid1988 said:

Wait, is the band going to actually let this happen? 

I mean, the tape is being auctioned to help donate to benefit the American Association for Suicide Prevention, in honor of her father, so I don't think they would mind.

10 minutes ago, MrS said:

oh so that means no Carousel or Slip with Mark?

I think you got something wrong. "Carousel" and "Slip", the Xero versions, anyway, were made in late 1998, somewhere around there. This tape dates back to 1997, a year before "Carousel" and "Slip" were made, and it includes "Deftest", which is one of the earliest, if not, one of the first demos, along with "Dialate", that started it all for Xero. And both of those tracks were on a 2-track cassette tape, which Dave Garrett has a copy of, which was made my Mike and Mark, before Xero was even formed, back in the summer of 1996. So, no, "Carousel" nor "Slip" is on this cassette tape.

7 minutes ago, lpliveusername said:

This is wrong too.

How is that wrong?

When I told Dave Garrett if the tracks on the cassette tape that he got back in the summer of 1996 were just "Deftest" and "Dialate", this is what he replied back to me with:

The intial songs that Mark brought back to me that summer were Dialate and Deftest.  It wasn't a demo, just some songs they had put together and they were literally just on a blank cassete, so no art work or anything like that.  It was pretty exciting stuff because near the end of relative degree that was really the direction we were wanting to move into after having some jam sessions with Mike goofing around with relative degree.

I'm pretty sure though that the tape that Dave Garrett has is not the same tape that this girl has.

Edited by NJPLP

Some of the information I said from before is wrong. The ripped song from the tape is not "Deftest". It would greatly devalue the tape, making the tape basically worthless. So that’s the reason why it’s obviously not “Deftest”.

Edited by NJPLP

19 hours ago, RayGun4200 said:

Hopefully we get a rip of all the tracks on it, even if we all already have the other tracks that are on it, for collection sake anyways, kinda sucks to have them missing ya know.

I’m pretty sure if she ripped one of the tracks from the tape to later be released before the auction, I’m pretty sure she ripped all of the tracks off the tape.

Edited by NJPLP

5 hours ago, xeroboi said:

How did this person even got it

"This tape comes from the personal collection of a music industry executive who received it from Mike Shinoda back in 1997 when Xero was just starting and trying to get signed"  

The person got it from their fathers tape collection.

5 minutes ago, Stranger said:

it'll be interesting take on how the raw sounds of "Dialate" from the tape. i'm hoping "Fuse" will be the another version of the song, love the track. thanks for the update man.

We could all hope honestly, I'm pretty hyped for it tho.