"Deftest" To Be Auctioned On May 19th, 2022

lpliveusername

The person who has the tape (currently), as well as LPLive themselves, said the tracklist was "Dialate", "Deftest", "Fuse", and "Stick N Move", but on the site where the auction is taking place, they say the tracklist is "Dialate", "Fuse", "Deftest", and "Stick N Move". So, what's the actual tracklisting of the tape? 

Edited by NJPLP

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tracklist issue is a good question.

The samples are legit, so they mixed the tracklisting up either to us or on their own page. However, Deftest just doesn't sound good. No wonder they didn't want it release.

The page to buy it won't accept any current bids, so did someone buy it in person? Do we even know what's going on with this?

1 hour ago, LPLStaff said:

The tracklist issue is a good question.

The samples are legit, so they mixed the tracklisting up either to us or on their own page. However, Deftest just doesn't sound good. No wonder they didn't want it release.

The page to buy it won't accept any current bids, so did someone buy it in person? Do we even know what's going on with this?

On the page of where the auction is, before it talks about the story of "Deftest" and the tape, it says that the bidding increment was $50.00 and that the bidding for the tape has ended. Kinda weird if you ask me.

Edited by NJPLP

3 hours ago, Mariolp said:

Do you think we will hear the whole tape eventually?

I think that we'll hear the full tape, eventually, hopefully.

4 hours ago, lpliveusername said:

I think it's possible someone chose the "buy now" option and actually purchased the tape for $10,000.

I wonder who would've bought the tape for $10,000. 🤔

Maybe someone here on LPLive.

6 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

It was not us as the site, that's for sure. I'd absolutely tell you if we bought it - we did not buy it.

Maybe someone else here bought the tape, besides you, as you mentioned, of course. Or maybe it was someone else who's not on LPLive. I honestly don't know right now, I'm just thinking out loud.

22 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

It was not us as the site, that's for sure. I'd absolutely tell you if we bought it - we did not buy it.

Yet according to Geki you guys have had all kinds of unheard music and unreleased pro-shot shows in the LPL vault for years LOL

No but seriously, if someone really spent $10,000 instantly on that tape it's either an LP superfan, who may not be excited to publicly share what they just spent $10k on, or it was a member of the band itself or the label.

I feel like I've become the "Beatles analogy guy" in recent years, but I'm going to do it again now: In 1981, a guy wanted to auction off the only recording of the first ever song recorded by John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison. When we talk about holy grails, that was definitely one. McCartney personally intervened and bought it for a hugely inflated price and had the audio restored as much as possible, and then had additional copies made. The song was eventually released on the Anthology project. It's not a great song and the audio quality still isn't great, but for historical value it's really cool to hear.

Similar to Pictureboard and Deftest, I would say... Would be cool if it turns out something like that happened.

14 hours ago, Justin said:

Yet according to Geki you guys have had all kinds of unheard music and unreleased pro-shot shows in the LPL vault for years LOL

No but seriously, if someone really spent $10,000 instantly on that tape it's either an LP superfan, who may not be excited to publicly share what they just spent $10k on, or it was a member of the band itself or the label.

I feel like I've become the "Beatles analogy guy" in recent years, but I'm going to do it again now: In 1981, a guy wanted to auction off the only recording of the first ever song recorded by John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and George Harrison. When we talk about holy grails, that was definitely one. McCartney personally intervened and bought it for a hugely inflated price and had the audio restored as much as possible, and then had additional copies made. The song was eventually released on the Anthology project. It's not a great song and the audio quality still isn't great, but for historical value it's really cool to hear.

Similar to Pictureboard and Deftest, I would say... Would be cool if it turns out something like that happened.

Maybe Mike bought the tape and will never release it, because of what he said on his October 24th, 2020 Twitch stream when he was questioned about "Deftest".

"LPLive is now trying to get locked on to Deftest as the new Pictureboard. Pictureboard is a pay off. Other demos, not so much. If you were to hear that, you would not be... I strongly suggest you don't start putting your attention on Deftest. That is not a thing to do. Pictureboard, you hear it, "Wow that's cool, I'm so glad we were so focused on that song." No I never said Pictureboard was a bad song. It has Chester on it. Deftest, Mark and I did like a four track cassette version of it and it sounds like shit. You guys don't want that, trust me. It's D-E-F-T-E-S-T by the way, not D-E-A-F, because Mark was a big fan of the Deftones. And we were just testing out ideas. So you can tell just right away, from the name itself, that it is not a grail. This is not an incredible fucking thing. Trust me on this."

But, who knows honestly. The person who bought the tape could've been a Linkin Park superfan, as you mentioned, Mike Shinoda himself, as I mentioned, or anyone, basically. Maybe the current owner of the tape rebought it in the auction to keep it instead of someone else getting it in the auction, though, I doubt that's what happened.

Edited by NJPLP

19 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

Maybe Mike bought the tape and will never release it, because of what he said on his October 24th, 2020 Twitch stream when he was questioned about "Deftest".

But, who knows honestly. The person who bought the tape could've been a Linkin Park superfan, as you mentioned, Mike Shinoda himself, as I mentioned, or anyone, basically. Maybe the current owner of the tape rebought it in the auction to keep it instead of someone else getting it in the auction, though, I doubt that's what happened.

I doubt this cause I feel like Mike would approve of it due to the cause and donation thing, plus I'm pretty sure the original owner has rips of the tape since they uploaded snippets of the tape on archive.org so that would kinda be redundant.

On 4/26/2022 at 12:26 PM, Seelentau said:

Imagine buying something for yourself, only to be told by random online strangers that you're an asshole for not sharing it with them, even though you're under no obligation to do so, nor are they entitled to have it.

Damn... you're right. thx for the advice. decided not to share it, the shipping is fucking outrageous here though. almost half the fucking tape and the tax Sheeeshhh. btw what a fucking let down.

Edited by Awalkinthelinkinpark
double post- shit ip

20 hours ago, RayGun4200 said:

I doubt this cause I feel like Mike would approve of it due to the cause and donation thing, plus I'm pretty sure the original owner has rips of the tape since they uploaded snippets of the tape on archive.org so that would kinda be redundant.

It was something I was thinking about out loud. But, honestly, now that I think about it, Mike probably wouldn't have bought the tape, I doubt that he would've intervened and bought the tape himself to prevent any Linkin Park fans from hearing the tape at all. It was probably some Linkin Park superfan, as you mentioned, or anyone, honestly.

20 hours ago, Awalkinthelinkinpark said:

Damn... you're right. thx for the advice. decided not to share it, the shipping is fucking outrageous here though. almost half the fucking tape and the tax Sheeeshhh. btw what a fucking let down.

What do you mean by this, or are you referring to something else?

Edited by NJPLP

27 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

What do you mean by this, or are you referring to something else?

Maybe he's just trolling lol

30 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

I was something I was thinking about out loud. But, honestly, now that I think about it, Mike probably wouldn't have bought the tape, mainly because he and his representatives gave the approval for the Xero tape to be auctioned, and I doubt that he would've intervened and bought the tape himself to prevent any Linkin Park fans from hearing the tape at all. It was probably some Linkin Park superfan, as you mentioned, or anyone, honestly.

Ahh fair enough. Definitely there's no way $10,000 is a bit much but then again he's probably loaded with money. True that, but I wonder if it was someone from here since it seemed to be bought basically instantly??? I dunno you wouldn't just buy a random tape worth that much without knowing what it is lol

7 minutes ago, RayGun4200 said:

Ahh fair enough. Definitely there's no way $10,000 is a bit much but then again he's probably loaded with money. True that, but I wonder if it was someone from here since it seemed to be bought basically instantly??? I dunno you wouldn't just buy a random tape worth that much without knowing what it is lol

Now that you say that, I wonder who here would have had $10,000 on them to buy the tape. I don't think someone here, naturally anyway (unless they're a millionaire lol), would have $10,000 to buy the tape. But, honestly, who knows.

Edited by NJPLP

4 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

Now that you say that, I wonder who here would have had $10,000 on them to buy the tape. I don't think someone here, naturally anyway (unless they're a millionaire lol), would have $10,000 to buy the tape. But, honestly, who knows.

Yeah true that man you never know, maybe it was you? Lol I'm jk or am I? I mean we don't really know the financial situations of each other unless said so, what if it was Percy or whatever that guy name is but hes selling his LP collection which is unlikely so rip maybe time will tell. Imagine buying an Xero Tape for $10,000 but not the Hybrid Theory Lockout thing for the same amount even tho the guy wants more now I think, just a cash grab anyways.

3 hours ago, RayGun4200 said:

Yeah true that man you never know, maybe it was you? Lol I'm jk or am I? I mean we don't really know the financial situations of each other unless said so, what if it was Percy or whatever that guy name is but hes selling his LP collection which is unlikely so rip maybe time will tell. Imagine buying an Xero Tape for $10,000 but not the Hybrid Theory Lockout thing for the same amount even tho the guy wants more now I think, just a cash grab anyways.

I didn't buy it. I don't have that kind of money for that Xero tape.

10 minutes ago, mrfox said:

So auction is over? When we will get Deftest?

1. I'm not entirely sure if the auction is over or not. 

2. I'm also not entirely sure when we'll get "Deftest", but let's just hope we actually get the track.

UPDATE: 

Serio Drew: Excuse me, we are all a little confused about the auction. Did some did a "buy now" on the tape? 

Unknownwake: No I'm waiting to hear back from support and I'm ready to literally fight, everything with this auction platform has been a headache. i will keep you updated.

So apparently just the website have messed up big time and the auction haven’t even started. We will try to keep everyone updated as soon as we have more info. 

8 minutes ago, SerioDrew said:

UPDATE: 

Serio Drew: Excuse me, we are all a little confused about the auction. Did some did a "buy now" on the tape? 

Unknownwake: No I'm waiting to hear back from support and I'm ready to literally fight, everything with this auction platform has been a headache. i will keep you updated.

So apparently just the website have messed up big time and the auction haven’t even started. We will try to keep everyone updated as soon as we have more info. 

Yikes might as well just shutdown the site and auction it off on Ebay or something and donate half the money to the charity or something 

9 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

Mike is exactly right when he said the song is bad - the snippet on Archive is really quite bad. Choosing Dialate over Deftest for HT20 was a smart move.

Dialate > Deftest agreed for sure. However I think its really cool to have Deftest as a piece of memorabilia, its "the first LP song" afterall. Honestly considering it is the first Xero demo they made, I originaly expected Deftest to be a lot worse tbh haha.