Mike Shinoda: Linkin Park Are "Planning Some Fun Stuff" For Hybrid Theory's 20th Anniversary

LPLStaff

It sounds like we are getting close!

From Kerrang!:

Mike Shinoda has told an audience of Kerrang! readers that he and his Linkin Park bandmates have been putting the work in to create something special for the twentieth anniversary of Hybrid Theory in October.

Speaking as part of a Kerrang! Face-To-Face video, Mike revealed that they’ve been working closely with key people from throughout Linkin Park’s history to celebrate the 20 years since they arrived back in October 2000.

“We’ve done our best to go to a lot of people who are family, in a sense, and say, ‘What do you think we should do? What would be a good celebration of Hybrid Theory?’ and try our best to do a bunch of those ideas,” he says.

“I would urge the fanbase to just let it happen,” he continues. “The Linkin Park fanbase is always one of the most creative and active fanbases out there. So always, the problem for me is that if I’m not allowed to divulge information because I want it to be a surprise, then the creative fanbase starts jumping out and imagining things. They come up with their own great ideas – and then once in a while those great ideas are better than our ideas!”

something incredible would be like Metallica has done in celebration of their albums.

a Box.
I would love if it were like that too
Example:

Hybrid Theory 20th Anniversary Box:

.1 Remastered CD

.1 Cd Live (2000-2002) Songs

.4 DVD'S (Exclusive and Pro Shot Shows) note: Linkin Park has a lot of video files of the shows, one from the Projekt revolution would be amazing)

. Book Making of Hybrid Theory (with photos of the studio at the time of recording, how was the recording process, etc ...)

. some gifts, key chain, shirt, banner, etc ...

I know it looks like fantasy, but what do you think?
it would look amazing don't you think?

Edited by thigolpbr

That's not really a fantasy. There is absolutely precedent for those kinds of releases.

I would love a hardcover book with photos of lyric sheets/studio notes and facts about each song's writing and recording process. The Beatles did that for 3 of their albums and it's fascinating. HT is on that level.

11 hours ago, Justin said:

The Beatles did that for 3 of their albums and it's fascinating. HT is on that level.

THIS! Their Remasters and Demo tracks are just epic! Especially for Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road. LP would do like one demo for each song and some other demos from earlier on or songs that didn't make the cut (thinking of MTM). The Beatles did quite a few takes for each song, but they wrote differently than LP, but if LP could release different versions of each song - that would be amazing (thinking of Figure.09 and like Bleed it Out I think) even if they sound similar to the final take or another demo or whatever - there's still a lot to get to know and I hope eventually we find them being released.

1 hour ago, Astat said:

I'm expecting there to be several different "levels" to the anniversary release in terms of how much stuff you get, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the biggest box set version costs like $500.

So they can just add Interactive Art Sculpture + 2CD + artbook and the whole release for $500 is ready :)

9 hours ago, Astat said:

I'm expecting there to be several different "levels" to the anniversary release in terms of how much stuff you get, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if the biggest box set version costs like $500.

7 hours ago, martinez said:

So they can just add Interactive Art Sculpture + 2CD + artbook and the whole release for $500 is ready :)

If the Recharged box set was $500, they need to absolutely destroy that release (like, beat it) in the best way possible, so I'm totally down with a $500 set if there is enough content.

Imagine if they just blow this thing up to epic proportions, with stuff we could never guess. Good quality, exclusive merch, unreleased songs, live stuff, like Metallica does. Totally down for a big price point for that. They only have one shot to do this right - do it as big as possible. There are VERY FEW bands and VERY FEW things from those actual bands I'd pay that much for - Hybrid Theory 20 is one of them. There are a couple of things off the top of my head that if they potentially include in this.... you could just name a price and I'd pay it. Let's see what they do.

5 hours ago, hahninator said:

There are VERY FEW bands and VERY FEW things from those actual bands I'd pay that much for - Hybrid Theory 20 is one of them. There are a couple of things off the top of my head that if they potentially include in this.... you could just name a price and I'd pay it. Let's see what they do.

Agreed 1000%. I wouldn't even consider dropping $500 (or anything in that neighborhood) for most bands, but for HT 20? I'm down.

5 hours ago, hahninator said:

If the Recharged box set was $500, they need to absolutely destroy that release (like, beat it) in the best way possible, so I'm totally down with a $500 set if there is enough content.

Imagine if they just blow this thing up to epic proportions, with stuff we could never guess. Good quality, exclusive merch, unreleased songs, live stuff, like Metallica does. Totally down for a big price point for that. They only have one shot to do this right - do it as big as possible. There are VERY FEW bands and VERY FEW things from those actual bands I'd pay that much for - Hybrid Theory 20 is one of them. There are a couple of things off the top of my head that if they potentially include in this.... you could just name a price and I'd pay it. Let's see what they do.

what was in the Recharged box set for 500$ 😷💩

44 minutes ago, sordomuda said:

what was in the Recharged box set for 500$ 😷💩

there is info about it here:

13 hours ago, martinez said:

i think the unique OML polaroids were an AMAZING item. You are the only person in the world who owns that thing. 

HT20 should've something like that... each person having a unique version of something, in a limited edition.

I think they'll buy and get the full first footage on Mike's apartment, and turn that into a DVD... mixing with some comentaries and other making of HT footages.

There's so much to think... let's just wait like Adam said.

If they create a super high quality product, I think it is reasonable to ask for a higher price, but I hope it won‘t be something ridiculous like the Recharged thing. 
It is going to be a very special release for every Linkin Park fan, and I don‘t think it would be fair to just categorically deny that release to a lot of people who can‘t afford a $500 release. 
I think they have to find a sweet spot between making it super freaking amazing with crazy stuff in there while also keeping it accessible for the average hardcore fan and that‘s definitely lower than $500. 

17 hours ago, Coizu said:

If they create a super high quality product, I think it is reasonable to ask for a higher price, but I hope it won‘t be something ridiculous like the Recharged thing. 
It is going to be a very special release for every Linkin Park fan, and I don‘t think it would be fair to just categorically deny that release to a lot of people who can‘t afford a $500 release. 
I think they have to find a sweet spot between making it super freaking amazing with crazy stuff in there while also keeping it accessible for the average hardcore fan and that‘s definitely lower than $500. 

The simple solution to that is to make package tiers. $100 casual fan + $250 mid tier + $500 hardcore fan.

1 hour ago, LPLStaff said:

The simple solution to that is to make package tiers. $100 casual fan + $250 mid tier + $500 hardcore fan.

I know it's probably not exactly what you meant but I don't like how you described the most expensive package as the one for the hardcore fans. It's not a case of being a hardcore fan or not. I'm a hardcore LP fan, but I simply wouldn't spend so much money on some "cool gadget-like stuff" that are just rare and that's the reason why they're so expensive. Of course, if a more expensive package was to include some rare live footage or something like this, I'd buy it. However, if I were to spend around 2000 PLN (I live in Poland) to get a different art cover or some additional photos, I would pass. It's not just a case of being a hardcore fan or not, sometimes it's about spending money responsibly.

2 minutes ago, blackout said:

I know it's probably not exactly what you meant but I don't like how you described the most expensive package as the one for the hardcore fans. It's not a case of being a hardcore fan or not. I'm a hardcore LP fan, but I simply wouldn't spend so much money on some "cool gadget-like stuff" that are just rare and that's the reason why they're so expensive. Of course, if a more expensive package was to include some rare live footage or something like this, I'd buy it. However, if I were to spend around 2000 PLN (I live in Poland) to get a different art cover or some additional photos, I would pass. It's not just a case of being a hardcore fan or not, sometimes it's about spending money responsibly.

This. There are a lot of people out there who can't afford $500. There are countries where people don't even earn that money in a month working full time.

But those people would still feel weird and left out if they can't afford the "hardcore" package.

That's why I think there should be a limit to the most expensive version. Probably around $100 which is already pretty high for a lot of people I would assume.

Does someone have numbers how much big anniversary releases of other bands cost? I think Metallica and Beatles were mentioned a couple of times here.

Metallica's box sets are $200 and as of right now, are the gold standard in the music industry for how to do the best box set imaginable for a band. Truly incredible stuff, go look up Master of Puppets or any of their other box set releases - the amount of content is INSANE. Muse is $150. DMB Live 25 is $175 and is just 25 live songs picked by fans + merch. Beatles is $200.

Didn't mean hardcore fans only, or mean to imply that only hardcore fans are the ones who pay $500. What I meant is that the higher priced packages are usually catered to those fans who are not casual fans of a band. $100 isn't enough for a box set release. It needs to be at least $200+.

1 hour ago, LPLStaff said:

Didn't mean hardcore fans only, or mean to imply that only hardcore fans are the ones who pay $500. What I meant is that the higher priced packages are usually catered to those fans who are not casual fans of a band. $100 isn't enough for a box set release. It needs to be at least $200+.

What I mean is that even if I don't pay $500 for the best package possible, it doesn't mean that I'm not a hardcore fan. Even the most devoted fans cannot look at everything the band releases as something that they need to have, possibly just to prove that they're hardcore fans. Everybody needs to judge by themselves and see whether the most expensive package is really worth it or not.

Edited by blackout

3 minutes ago, blackout said:

What I mean is that even if I don't pay $500 for the best package possible, it doesn't mean that I'm not a hardcore fan. Even the most devoted fans cannot look at everything the band releases as something that they need to have, possibly just to prove that they're hardcore fans. Everybody needs to judge by themselves and see whether the most expensive package is really worth it or not.

Of course. That's what I meant by the tiered options. Just different stuff for different fans. For example, we'd never spend $500 on Recharged. Didn't even buy Recharged for $10, lol