[AUDIO] 2004-08-10 - Bristow, VA @ Nissan Pavilion (AUD & Chester's IEM)

felipeintheend

Hey there!

Today I got surprised by a friend who pointed me to a person who recorded a pretty rare and unreleased Linkin Park recording from their Projekt Revolution Tour 2004. It's not a secret that every single recording from that tour is a treasure and today I am happy to forward everyone to his YouTube channel and give a listen to this amazing recording. 

The show was recorded by two sources separately, one recorded by CPS who recorded the whole set from the audience and one recorded by jlizard, which is Chester's IEM (in ear monitor recording). jlizard mixed both of the sources and it sounds incredible

Setlist:
01. Don't Stay
02. Lying From You    
03. Papercut    
04. Points Of Authority    
05. With You
06. Runaway
07. Step Up/Nobody's Listening/It's Goin' Down 
08. Somewhere I Belong
09. Figure.09
10. From The Inside
11. Breaking The Habit
12. Numb
13. Faint (w/ Bert McCracken)
14. In The End    
15. A Place For My Head
16. Crawling    
17. Wish
18. One Step Closer (w/ Jonathan Davis)

Show Page

Thank you to both guys for taping it.

Edited by felipeintheend

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, felipeintheend said:

Hey there!

Today I got surprised by a friend who pointed me to a person who recorded a pretty rare and unreleased Linkin Park recording from their Projekt Revolution Tour 2004. It's not a secret that every single recording from that tour is a treasure and today I am happy to forward everyone to his YouTube channel and give a listen to this amazing recording. 

The show was recorded by two sources separately, one recorded by Carl who recorded the whole set from the audience and one recorded by Brian, which is Chester's IEM (in ear monitor recording). Brian mixed both of the sources and it sounds incredible

Setlist:
01. Don't Stay
02. Lying From You    
03. Papercut    
04. Points Of Authority    
05. With You
06. Runaway
07. Step Up/Nobody's Listening/It's Goin' Down 
08. Somewhere I Belong
09. Figure.09
10. From The Inside
11. Breaking The Habit
12. Numb
13. Faint    
14. In The End    
15. A Place For My Head
16. Crawling    
17. Wish
18. One Step Closer (w/ Jonathan Davis)

Thank you to both guys for taping it.

Thank you for bringing this to us Felipe, I can't wait to have a listen while I'm studying today. Do you know whether they're going to make this available to download, or release the seperate sources?

Thank you SOOOOOO MUCHHHHH. Best live year of the band, ever.

EDIT: Currently playing now. OMG the quality is great. Probably going to end up being my favorite PR04 show next to Somerset. And I just read the show notes. Wow. Morning After chorus? Solo after Wish? And Bert on Faint. Jonathan on OSC (less rare but still epic). OMG. This is the greatest thing to come out since the DBS demos and this is probably better. I love PR04. Thank you so much Felipe for sharing this. You are really an epic member of this site.

Also confirms DBS was being worked on Summer of 2004 IMO. I know he played MA in 2001 but this is different.

Edited by GarretLP

Finally had a listen, this has to be one of my favourite performances of Wish. That being said, I haven't gone back and had a listen much since using streaming services instead of iTunes, but I don't remember it being this clean / tight. The uploader has done a pretty good job of mixing, although sometimes because Chester's own voice is so high, it can contrast Mike's very heavily. Really fun performance to listen to, esp. with getting fans onstage and guests.

The cringeworthy elephant in the room, though, is Chester describing Mike and a fan having matching clothes or whatever as "fucking gay". I fully get they were different times, which is why I am beyond glad that he did a full 180 and supported pro LGBT campaigns, especially as he's always been anti bullying etc., but damn it's uncomfortable to hear.

2 hours ago, ToddWilliamson said:

Finally had a listen, this has to be one of my favourite performances of Wish. That being said, I haven't gone back and had a listen much since using streaming services instead of iTunes, but I don't remember it being this clean / tight. The uploader has done a pretty good job of mixing, although sometimes because Chester's own voice is so high, it can contrast Mike's very heavily. Really fun performance to listen to, esp. with getting fans onstage and guests.

The cringeworthy elephant in the room, though, is Chester describing Mike and a fan having matching clothes or whatever as "fucking gay". I fully get they were different times, which is why I am beyond glad that he did a full 180 and supported pro LGBT campaigns, especially as he's always been anti bullying etc., but damn it's uncomfortable to hear.

Yeah back in 2004 and shit it wasn’t as PC as it is nowadays. And calling something gay back then didn’t mean that you hater gay people like people think it means nowadays.

8 hours ago, ToddWilliamson said:

The "you fucking faggots" at Mountain View from the same tour was a lot more cringeworthy in hindsight. Chester was probably about at his peak of being drunk and/or high all the time towards the end of the Meteora era and his filter was just non-existent. The "I found O.J.'s gloves" at Rock Am Ring, the "I've never been fisted before, that was awesome" at Cuyahoga Falls (which I so desperately wish there was a recording of, lol), he was really saying a lot of off-the-wall stuff during that period that definitely would have been put under a microscope if Youtube/social media would have been prevalent at the time.

1 hour ago, Astat said:

The "you fucking faggots" at Mountain View from the same tour was a lot more cringeworthy in hindsight. Chester was probably about at his peak of being drunk and/or high all the time towards the end of the Meteora era and his filter was just non-existent. The "I found O.J.'s gloves" at Rock Am Ring, the "I've never been fisted before, that was awesome" at Cuyahoga Falls (which I so desperately wish there was a recording of, lol), he was really saying a lot of off-the-wall stuff during that period that definitely would have been put under a microscope if Youtube/social media would have been prevalent at the time.

I agree. No telling what else he said on this tour, lmao. There's a Rolling Stone interview from Chester in Italy before this tour, I believe it is from the time period between the Portugal and Asia shows in 2004 but maybe was published later. Chester is essentially saying he feels like a complete outsider to the band and doesn't fit in or something. Let me see if I can dig it up. That's no secret from the earlier years but I think based on later comments by Mike and Chester, Chester really had a strained relationship with them at the end of the Meteora era. Hence the "come to Jesus meeting" LP had with him during the Making of MTM. Geki has talked about this topic a lot in the past, when he's discussed the 2005 era.

Great show, wow. Never thought we'd see something like this. This could be one of the best Wish performances I've heard. Have to love all the intros and outros of the songs too. It's funny we consider this one of the best setlists LP has ever played but it's in hindsight so much shorter time-wise than many setlists from eras after this, lol. But there's no doubt they were on fire at this time and they were really dominating the live stage. Hell of an act.

From the information given about the era, we know Chester was in a bad place around the time of PR04. He was heavily drinking and doing drugs and even had his own tour bus for the sole purpose of partying. He talks about it towards the end of the Radioalice Interview from 2009 posted in the forums a while ago.

Again, this was 2004. So stuff like this wasn’t as frowned upon as it is now. I grew up as a young teen during this era. Trust me, tons and tons of kids my age were calling things ''gay'' and saying ''faggot'' and everything else.  Basically, back then, gay just meant like ‘’whack’’ or ‘’lame’’. It wasn’t usually an attack on gay people. Doesn't make it right, but yeah.

Edited by Garret

Wow! Thank you so much for this, this really brings back a lot of memories!! I can’t wait to give this a listen. 

I attended the Burgettstown, PA show on aug 9 (the day before) & remember going crazy when I heard the wish cover.

7 hours ago, Hahninator said:

I agree. No telling what else he said on this tour, lmao. There's a Rolling Stone interview from Chester in Italy before this tour, I believe it is from the time period between the Portugal and Asia shows in 2004 but maybe was published later. Chester is essentially saying he feels like a complete outsider to the band and doesn't fit in or something. Let me see if I can dig it up. That's no secret from the earlier years but I think based on later comments by Mike and Chester, Chester really had a strained relationship with them at the end of the Meteora era. Hence the "come to Jesus meeting" LP had with him during the Making of MTM. Geki has talked about this topic a lot in the past, when he's discussed the 2005 era.

Great show, wow. Never thought we'd see something like this. This could be one of the best Wish performances I've heard. Have to love all the intros and outros of the songs too. It's funny we consider this one of the best setlists LP has ever played but it's in hindsight so much shorter time-wise than many setlists from eras after this, lol. But there's no doubt they were on fire at this time and they were really dominating the live stage. Hell of an act.

I actually kind of like shorter sets compared to the super long ones that band did after this tour. Sometimes a nice setlist under 120 mins is great. Rock In Rio USA 2015 or Athens 2009 are good examples. I didn't like when they did way too many slow songs so the middle of the set dragged on forever.

Edited by GarretLP