All Instrumentals & Acapellas List

Skipees

8 hours ago, eyesburning said:

That's what I thought (about the bleeding)! Yea, Pts is indeed weird but couldn't have been done from any available multitracks (unless someone has them and weren't leaked yet - unlikely though?).

Astat, can you confirm which version of OSC was leaked in lossless recently? Is this the real instrumental this time? 

The other HT instrumentals are definitely different versions from what we had (compare the mastering of Crawling side-by-side with the previous one for example), but as far as I can tell OSC is just a conversion of what we already had. The old OSC already had a fully-mastered waveform appearance. The new one has a slightly different waveform appearance, but still has the same "definitely not the album version" sound. Also while the original Rock Band instrumental version was easy to spot with the kick/snare panned to opposite sides, even in the more recent version I've noticed that the toms are all in the right channel (check right before the first verse for example). So I'm pretty sure we still don't have a legit OSC instrumental.

*Edit* So I just did a side-by-side comparison of all of them, and yes, every song except OSC is mastered differently from the previous version. I'm still unsure of the whole CD's legitimacy though because someone could have always just remastered the other tracks using the previously-available versions.

Edited by Astat

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Astat said:

The other HT instrumentals are definitely different versions from what we had (compare the mastering of Crawling side-by-side with the previous one for example), but as far as I can tell OSC is just a conversion of what we already had. The old OSC already had a fully-mastered waveform appearance. The new one has a slightly different waveform appearance, but still has the same "definitely not the album version" sound. Also while the original Rock Band instrumental version was easy to spot with the kick/snare panned to opposite sides, even in the more recent version I've noticed that the toms are all in the right channel (check right before the first verse for example). So I'm pretty sure we still don't have a legit OSC instrumental.

*Edit* So I just did a side-by-side comparison of all of them, and yes, every song except OSC is mastered differently from the previous version. I'm still unsure of the whole CD's legitimacy though because someone could have always just remastered the other tracks using the previously-available versions.

Mmmm...strange. I remember reading that you had a version of the instrumentals much earlier than most other people, back in the day, and I thought that had the real OSC instrumental? Also, were these lossless?

3 hours ago, eyesburning said:

Mmmm...strange. I remember reading that you had a version of the instrumentals much earlier than most other people, back in the day, and I thought that had the real OSC instrumental? Also, were these lossless?

I had two different HT instrumental copies, the only difference I remember is that the first one had the version of OSC with the kick and snare panned to opposite sides and the second one didn't. I don't really remember getting them unusually early compared to anybody else, maybe by a few days or something. I never had them in lossless before now but they may have been out there.

8 hours ago, Astat said:

I had two different HT instrumental copies, the only difference I remember is that the first one had the version of OSC with the kick and snare panned to opposite sides and the second one didn't. I don't really remember getting them unusually early compared to anybody else, maybe by a few days or something. I never had them in lossless before now but they may have been out there.

Oh, I see. Too bad nobody seems to have the real OSC instrumental then. I guess at some point it might surface though.

1 hour ago, eyesburning said:

Oh, I see. Too bad nobody seems to have the real OSC instrumental then. I guess at some point it might surface though.

Or maybe it won't, considering OSC has a lot of variation, and the instrumentals could be from an internal or promo cd and the mastering is not final, we won't be getting it. Unless LP releases it officially, it will stay in the vault.

Recently, I have been digging more into how to discern if a lossless file is truly lossless and not an upsampling/upscaling of a lossy source. It turns out that looking at the cutoff in the frequency spectrum is not sufficient to truly judge the native bitrate. However, there's a software that goes through more sophisticated tests/algorithms to check for upsampling/upscaling: http://losslessaudiochecker.com/

Using this software I checked the most recently leaked lossless instrumental albums. Here's the result ['clean' meaning no upsampling/upscaling detected]:

Hybrid Theory - all clean

Reanimation - all clean

A Thousand Suns - 'Wisdom, Justice, and Love', 'Fallout', and 'The Messenger' upsampled, others clean

One More Light - 'One More Light' upsampled, others clean

Post Traumatic - 'Place To Start' and 'Nothing Makes Sense Anymore' upsampled, others clean

I am not entirely sure if we can trust the evaluation a 100% but it should be better than just looking at the frequency spectrum. My guess is that the songs that were detected to be upsampled were taken from another lossless source (Post Traumtic EP, ATS album, OML multis) and slightly modified to match the other files in terms of bitrate.

Edited by eyesburning

23 hours ago, eyesburning said:

Recently, I have been digging more into how to discern if a lossless file is truly lossless and not an upsampling/upscaling of a lossy source. It turns out that looking at the cutoff in the frequency spectrum is not sufficient to truly judge the native bitrate. However, there's a software that goes through more sophisticated tests/algorithms to check for upsampling/upscaling: http://losslessaudiochecker.com/

Using this software I checked the most recently leaked lossless instrumental albums. Here's the result ['clean' meaning no upsampling/upscaling detected]:

Hybrid Theory - all clean

Reanimation - all clean

A Thousand Suns - 'Wisdom, Justice, and Love', 'Fallout', and 'The Messenger' upsampled, others clean

One More Light - 'One More Light' upsampled, others clean

Post Traumatic - 'Place To Start' and 'Nothing Makes Sense Anymore' upsampled, others clean

I am not entirely sure if we can trust the evaluation a 100% but it should be better than just looking at the frequency spectrum. My guess is that the songs that were detected to be upsampled were taken from another lossless source (Post Traumtic EP, ATS album, OML multis) and slightly modified to match the other files in terms of bitrate.

I almost guarantee that all of those examples you listed are indeed lossless. Songs that have minimal instrumentation, lack percussion instruments, etc. are incredibly prone to confusing algorithm-based lossy vs. lossless detection software. An example I know of is Song of the Century from Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown - you can literally rip a .wav of that track directly from the CD and any detection software you run it through will insist that it's lossy even though it isn't.

On 6/15/2019 at 12:37 AM, Astat said:

I almost guarantee that all of those examples you listed are indeed lossless. Songs that have minimal instrumentation, lack percussion instruments, etc. are incredibly prone to confusing algorithm-based lossy vs. lossless detection software. An example I know of is Song of the Century from Green Day's 21st Century Breakdown - you can literally rip a .wav of that track directly from the CD and any detection software you run it through will insist that it's lossy even though it isn't.

Interesting! I wasn't aware of that. I thought that they are lossless but potentially from a different source. But I guess, in that case, it could just be a false negative from the software.

You can hear a snippet of By Myself reanimation instrumental in the making of LOATR and a snippet of Pts.Of.Athry (Instrumental) in the making of LOATR and WID Done.

Both sounds exactly the same like the one that get leaked.

Edited by martinez

MTM Lossless instrumentals?
I don't know the other tracks but for example I did compared Hand Held High with the one I did mastering for. This leaked lossless flac sounds awful (that bassdrum) in general it sounds like it would have a really bad mixing or really bad quality.

EDIT: Looks like someone exaggerated with the mastering by adding +db more, that's why it sounds like it had really bad quality.

Edited by martinez

2 hours ago, martinez said:

MTM Lossless instrumentals?
I don't know the other tracks but for example I did compared Hand Held High with the one I did mastering for. This leaked lossless flac sounds awful (that bassdrum) in general it sounds like it would have a really bad mixing or really bad quality.

EDIT: Looks like someone exaggerated with the mastering by adding +db more, that's why it sounds like it had really bad quality.

It's not just a mastering issue, check out all the weird stuff with the drum sound on Given Up for example - it's like they added reverb but somehow caused phasing issues in the process or something.

Why on earth is it so hard to get people to just release this stuff without fucking with it first?

Edited by Astat

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Can someone look further into whether this is legit or not? I haven't seen an instrumental of Slow Ya Roll mentioned on Linkinpedia or any lists I've seen, but this sounds pretty clean to me (I admittedly rarely listen to the song though):

6 hours ago, Astat said:

Can someone look further into whether this is legit or not? I haven't seen an instrumental of Slow Ya Roll mentioned on Linkinpedia or any lists I've seen, but this sounds pretty clean to me (I admittedly rarely listen to the song though):

Sounds real to me. Instrumentals and Acapellas get released in the rap/hip hop world literally all the time. Especially in the 2000’s for some reason where as now in the 2010’s you don’t see it AS much but you still do. 

I bet it surfaced sometimes around 2007 when the track came out. I know Young Buck wanted to film a music video for the song and wanted it to be a big single but it never happened. Maybe it was some sort of promo release or maybe he just released the album in instrumental form. Kind of like how FM did with TRT but kept it low key, that’s how all the old rap stuff did it back then, mostly for DJs and remixers. 

Obviously none of what I said confirms it’s real but I’m just saying it probably is. It will be hard to dig up any info on this song because it’s so forgotten about. Which is a shame cuz it has some really amazing vocals from Chester, especially the outro vocals. 

It's really annoying me when the instrumetal version is missing something. Mike decided to keep grandsons background vocals in the Running From My Shadow instrumental in the verses and that's really cool. I think he should keep background vocals also in some other instrumental songs from PT.

The big mistake they made so far was the situation with Skin To Bone. The chorus in the acapella version of the song contain instrumental part that originally should be in the instrumental version of STB.

The STB chorus in the instrumental version should sound like this: STB_Instrumental.mp3

Edited by martinez

1 hour ago, martinez said:

The big mistake they made so far was the situation with Skin To Bone. The chorus in the acapella version of the song contain instrumental part that originally should be in the instrumental version of STB.

The STB chorus in the instrumental version should sound like this: STB_Instrumental.mp3

The part you are talking about is still a vocal part through some Vocoder or whatever kind of crazy thing they used at a time. 

I rather have a clean instrumental in that situation and that part on the acapella track. 

34 minutes ago, Robrobbsen said:

The part you are talking about is still a vocal part through some Vocoder or whatever kind of crazy thing they used at a time. 

I rather have a clean instrumental in that situation and that part on the acapella track. 

In first 15 seconds of the chorus I wouldn't say that it is a vocal part.

I rather would keep this part, the instrumental version without it, sounds incomplete at least for me.