"Looking for an Answer" (Brand New Song)

Stranger

Here's the brand new LINKIN PARK song. Mike Shinoda wrote this 8 days after Chester Bennington passed away. He said he didn't know what would happen to the band or the song, but he hopes this is the first step in writing it and that he can show fans the evolution of it via social media if the band continues.

Lyrics:

There's an emptiness tonight...
A hole that wasn't there before...
And I keep reaching for the light...
But I can't find it anymore...

A heavy hand that pulls me down...
They say it's gonna be alright...
But can't begin to tell me how...
And I ask myself out loud...

Have I been lost all along?
Was there something I could say
Or something I should not of done.
Was I lost all along?
Was I Looking For An Answer
When there never really was one?...

Is there sunshine where you are?
The way there was when you were here...
'Cause I'm just sitting in the dark...
In disbelief that this is real...

Or something I should not of done?
Was I lost all along?

And I ask myself out loud

But I can't find it anymore...

A heavy hand that pulls me down...
They say it's gonna be alright...

Was I lost all along?

Is there sunshine where you are?
The way there was when you were here...
'Cause I'm just sitting in the dark...

Was I lost all along?

And I ask myself out loud

Was I lost all along?

When there never really was one?..
Edited by Hahninator

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is devastating on so many levels. These words from Mike, so emotional :(

And then I just think about my own life and how i struggle right now and it hurts.

"There's an emptiness tonight...

But I can't find it anymore..."

"They say it's gonna be alright...

Have I been lost all along?"

Like everybody always says everything will be okay when you try and talk to them, but nobody can tell you how, it just feels empty. These are such perfect lyrics. This is why I think they don't need to bring in outside writers, look at how amazing this is.

Don't bout you guys, but i fucking cried during this song...

I was at the show and I had to sit down cause I started to break down during this song. Too many feels after Mike singing One More Light then Mikes speech then this incredibly heartfelt song.

How come they didn't announced this?

Maybe because it’s a really personal song for mike and he didn’t know if he could sing it on the night yet he gave us all a beautiful surprise gift and shared something so personal with us fans

Me too! You're right, there's a lot of pain in Mike's voice, am I the only one who thought he was going to break down crying? I know I broke down several times last night...

No, I thought he was going to break down a few times. He looked like he was towards the beginning of this song. But you can literally just hear the pain in his voice. It's so sad. I know I broke down during this song, as well as a lot of others. Mike also looked like he was about to start crying during NCSM, at the line ''I'm hanging off the edge''. Really emotional night. I can't believe Mike had the courage to go out and do these songs, especially this new one. Wow.

No, I thought he was going to break down a few times. He looked like he was towards the beginning of this song. But you can literally just hear the pain in his voice. It's so sad. I know I broke down during this song, as well as a lot of others. Mike also looked like he was about to start crying during NCSM, at the line ''I'm hanging off the edge''. Really emotional night. I can't believe Mike had the courage to go out and do these songs, especially this new one. Wow.

I broke down at least 6 times last night, my grandparents were asleep, as it was late, so I had to keep quiet, but I quietly weeped a lot last night. I really can't believe Mike's courage either, especially on the new song... it's probably up there with One More Light as the most emotional LP song, hell I'd say it surpasses One More Light

I broke down at least 6 times last night, my grandparents were asleep, as it was late, so I had to keep quiet, but I quietly weeped a lot last night. I really can't believe Mike's courage either, especially on the new song... it's probably up there with One More Light as the most emotional LP song, hell I'd say it surpasses One More Light

I'd say it surpassed it for me. I didn't cry the first time that I heard One More Light. Strangely, the songs that made me cry off of OML were Nobody Can Save Me and Sharp Edges. And both performances of those songs last night made me cry. Looking For An Answer did, the most. I literally said ''oh god'' when Mike announced it and started playing it because I knew how emotional it would be. But yeah, Mike has crazy courage to have come out and did it. This might be my favorite LP show of all time.

Just listened to the proshot of this. This song destroyed me hearing it, it's so beautiful. Can't wait to hear the studio version one day.

Fun fact, this is the second song to be performed live before being recorded, 'QWERTY' being the other one. It's also the fifth song to be performed before being officially released, the others being 'QWERTY, 'Wastelands,' 'Talking To Myself,' and 'One More Light.' I think that's correct, at least. :P

Just listened to the proshot of this. This song destroyed me hearing it, it's so beautiful. Can't wait to hear the studio version one day.

Fun fact, this is the second song to be performed live before being recorded, 'QWERTY' being the other one. It's also the fifth song to be performed before being officially released, the others being 'QWERTY, 'Wastelands,' 'Talking To Myself,' and 'One More Light.' I think that's correct, at least. :P

I would have been sobbing in front of everyone if I was there, I wouldn't have been able to control it. I feel for you, Soul. But I agree, I hope one day we can hear a studio version of the song. And that's cool about those facts. I still can't believe Mike got up and did it.

Out of curiosity, was the existence of this song (or a new song in general) one of the things you were saying you knew before the show but couldn't say? Lol after the initial emotion began to subside after hearing the song, I started to wonder if this is one of the things you were referring to.