2017.10.27 - Los Angeles, CA (Chester Bennington Celebration)

RogueSoul

How are you complaining about The Catalyst not being a punk rock song and Deryck singing over it when M. Shadows sang on Burn It Down and there's not a single complaint? Deryck sounded great on the song IMO, just because he's not of that genre doesn't mean he can't do it some justice. Of course no one will be able to do things like Chester did, but you can't fault them for wanting to pay their respect by honoring his art.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double post, unfortunately.

Ill use this one to say I have never seen so much love at one show. A few of my close friends watched the stream and reached out to me afterwards to express they finally got how I love this band so much.

Edited by lakersfan13

He had his own kit on Crawling, unless you mean on BIO at the end where he and Rob were playing on the same kit at the same time (which was funny to watch).

It was a whole step down in drop B. They changed keys on quite a few songs to accommodate guests.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Geki, it was a beautiful show. All of it. Every last guest and moment did Chester justice. Im sorry you were unable to enjoy it.

Lol I said I loved the entire show except for literally 2 guests. And 1 of the guests wasn't bad, I just didn't enjoy her performance. The only one out of everybody that I thought sucked was Deryck. So if you can say I didn't enjoy the show because there was literally one person out of everyone I didn't enjoy, you are special my friend.

I stil can't believe that I was actually there and saw all of it with my own eyes.

I loved it. Every second of it. We cried, we laughed, we sang, we celebrated Chester and supported the band as hard as we could :D

What an amazing night. Loved every performance, especially Oli's, even if I didn't like him before but he did great!

And Mike was so brave doing all the singing... the others as well. Just amazing.

So, the below is my comments & feelings on the event that I flew out from NY for:

1. I loved the venue and the feel. My first time going there. Perfect weather and atmosphere.
  2. The fact that I couldn't bring in my GoPro but my iphone and 1080p point & shoot was dumb
  3. Was very emotional for me, got choked up many times
  4. Terrace seats were nice, and being in a box was very cool.
  5. Way too many female singers
  6. Alanis I couldn't stand
  7. The cross in the upper right of the mountains that was always shining down along with the light beacons above freaked me out the entire time, but felt like Chester was looking down on everything
  8. Many mixed emotions with the 5 of them up there but not chester, but I do know there can and never will be someone that can take his place
  9. The dude from One Ok Rock, Oli Sykes, and Jon Davis I feel were the best three out of the bunch
  10. Mike did amazing leading everything, taking it on his shoulders. His new song is amazing
  11. I'm really unsure how I'd feel seeing them tour as a 5-piece or even with a new singer
  12. Whole experience for me was very memorable on many levels. I loved LA and West Hollywood where I stayed
  13. Being a fan since 2000, this is still rough for me, still feels surreal, incomplete, unsatisfied, mad, sad, dissapointed, etc etc etc.....
  14. Oh, and those light up pass-out wristbands, how they synced up, very cool
  15. I hoped that Austin Carlile and Corey Taylor would have been there, they would have made better choices than someone like Gavin Rosdale
Edited by loulax07

Things that people don't talk about:

*Joe Hahn is a greaaaat backup vocalist, beautiful voice.. specially during Iridiscent

*The show needed real Hip-Hop representation.. MGK is good but I mean people who toured in the old days like Snoop, Busta, Jay-Z would have been cool to see them there.

*Steven from Civil Twilight did a fucking amazing job... I totally understand Chester's opinion about him

*M. Shadows singing BID was a very weird choice

*Roads Untraveled debut was flawless... never thought that I would see that song live... the band nailed it!

*Forgive me Kiiara... you really can sing live

*The No Doubt guys messed up COG they took away the country feeling of the song and made it sound like a funk jam

It got cleared up but general music listeners are still salty and hate Oli even more. Of course, people are salty in beforehand and have prejudices about him and now that the Stream failed - people are even more salty about him.

It's sad cause they don't inform themselves about what happend and spread this throughout the social media and brings even more bad light above Oli.

If its any solace, I have respect for Oli since his performance. I thought he rocked it, and i've never had anything but bad names to say about the man (even told him to go f**k himself twice in chance meetings) what i saw from Oli was amazing. He sang the hell out of that song, and i noticed him 'channeling' Chester a lot. The way he moved and acted. He has my respect now, the stream was condemning but i watched the videos and it doesnt seem like he was lip-syncing to me. It seems like he is telling the truth here.

I wonder what they did in youtube live stream. They improved it or what? When I was trying to download youtube stream on Sutarday it was had 4,7 GB, now it has 2,7 GB. They literally replaced the original file with a different version. lol. What a shame.

EDIT: ok I already have 4,7 version.

Edited by martinez

Things that people don't talk about:

*Joe Hahn is a greaaaat backup vocalist, beautiful voice.. specially during Iridiscent

*The show needed real Hip-Hop representation.. MGK is good but I mean people who toured in the old days like Snoop, Busta, Jay-Z would have been cool to see them there.

*Steven from Civil Twilight did a fucking amazing job... I totally understand Chester's opinion about him

*M. Shadows singing BID was a very weird choice

*Roads Untraveled debut was flawless... never thought that I would see that song live... the band nailed it!

*Forgive me Kiiara... you really can sing live

*The No Doubt guys messed up COG they took away the country feeling of the song and made it sound like a funk jam

I actually agree with you JZE about the show needing some hip-hop. I said all of those you mentioned would have been epic in my original guesses for the show. Cypress Hill would also have been cool, because Chester liked them and they toured with them on PR02, plus they all wrote something sweet about Chester when he passed.

Just some notes as I was there live...

• A Place For My Head was the best performance. That growl though >>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • Crawling was phenomenal. There was no lipsyncing. Oli was amazing and I feel bad about what happened to him with the live stream. It must be heartbreaking to him because that performance was extremely important to us.
  • I hate Burn It Down but M. Shadows banged that shit.
  • Avenged Faint was the highlight of the show for me. When they brought out Syn, who is my guitar idol out, it was surreal. Syn shredded a solo in there, but you cant hear it at all on the stream. Find some recordings!
  • Castle of Ass was trash.
  • Saddest moment of the show? It was not OML or the new song. It was not Numb or In The End. It was New Divide. The band played the music live and on the screens around the venue it was Chester signing (in line with the live music) from a previous show at the hollywood bowl. Everyone would look at the screen and see chester singing and jumping around but you would look at the stage and he wasnt there.

• Saddest moment of the show? It was not OML or the new song. It was not Numb or In The End.

This one I agree. Especially In The End was tough. Seeing the 3, Brad, Phoenix and Mike, being in the front standing together and the crowd singing the chorus. This for me was the moment where Chester's missing was huge.

Something about this moment was so emotional. Joe and Rob at their typical position of course, but you have the other 3 standing together looking at each other and you could almost read their minds, what's going through their heads.

Really emotional and by their facial expression you can see how hard it was for them.

• Saddest moment of the show? It was not OML or the new song. It was not Numb or In The End. It was New Divide. The band played the music live and on the screens around the venue it was Chester signing (in line with the live music) from a previous show at the hollywood bowl. Everyone would look at the screen and see chester singing and jumping around but you would look at the stage and he wasnt there.

True... but at the same time it did feel like he was there. It was such a weird feeling.

A thing I've noticed is that the band tried out a bunch of different things on stage... They did songs with guests, let the fans sing, showed Chester on a screen with his voice in the background, Mike sang a few songs... And everything was working out. So I guess they still could do concerts with all the old songs if they mix it up a bit like this. I think they got a great feedback from the fans at the venue and at home and I hope it motivates them to keep going.

I think they needed this concert as much as we did.

Edited by Headstrong0510

True... but at the same time it did feel like he was there. It was such a weird feeling.

A thing I've noticed is that the band tried out a bunch of different things on stage... They did songs with guests, let the fans sing, showed Chester on a screen with his voice in the background, Mike sang a few songs... And everything was working out. So I guess they still could do concerts with all the old songs if they mix it up a bit like this. I think they got a great feedback from the fans at the venue and at home and I hope it motivates them to keep going.

I think they needed this concert as much as we did.

That's actually a good point. They know that they need us as much as we need them to continue performing. And if they mix their future concerts up like you mentioned, nobody will be mad. I don't think that even one dude would go there after a concert and would complain about certain things.

And as I mentioned earlier, Mike tried a bit of screamsinging here and there. He tried Rebellion, Papercut and some of the In The End Chorus and it wasn't bad. And the first 4 songs until Numb really showed us how a future LP could look like.

That's actually a good point. They know that they need us as much as we need them to continue performing. And if they mix their future concerts up like you mentioned, nobody will be mad. I don't think that even one dude would go there after a concert and would complain about certain things.

And as I mentioned earlier, Mike tried a bit of screamsinging here and there. He tried Rebellion, Papercut and some of the In The End Chorus and it wasn't bad. And the first 4 songs until Numb really showed us how a future LP could look like.

Absolutely!

Mike did great and I'm really proud of him for stepping up and trying to sing some more. Also... the other guys really don't have bad singing voices at all, they're a great back up for him!

I just hope they'll continue as a band. I mean... Mike even said that making music is helping him and I really hope that the concert helped them realize that they still need concerts and the fans. I really don't want to lose them as a band :(

And yeah, those lights were amazing!

It was also a perfect location... Hollywood Bowl is beautiful!

For anyone who's curious, this was Z-Trip's full set:

Mix #1:
Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song
Incubus - Wish You Were Here
Pixies - Where is My Mind? (Bassnectar Remix)
Jay-Z - Dirt Off Your Shoulder (Brillz & Z-Trip Remix)
Nine Inch Nails - Closer
Nirvana - In Bloom
Tool - Stinkfist (YehMe2 Bootlegs Remix) (I think some of the original version was in there as well)
Audioslave - Show Me How to Live
Marilyn Manson - This is the New Shit

DJ Zeph/Azeem - Rubber & Glue
P.O.D. - Boom
Dr. Dre/Snoop Dogg - Nothin' But a G Thang
2Pac/Dr. Dre - California Love
Slash/Fergie/Cypress Hill - Paradise City

Guns N' Roses - Paradise City
Public Enemy - Rebel Without a Pause
Jay-Z - I Just Wanna Love U (Give it 2 Me)
X-Ecutioners - It's Goin' Down
DJ Z-Trip - Listen to the DJ
The Smiths - How Soon is Now?
Clipse - When the Last Time
Alice in Chains - Man in the Box
Ministry - Thieves
Tears for Fears - Shout
Beastie Boys/Santigold - Don't Play No Game That I Can't Win (Z-Trip's Evil Twin Remix)
Jane's Addiction - Been Caught Stealing
Metallica - One

Mix #2:
The Beatles - Revolution
Gwen Stefani - Spark the Fire
Pink Floyd - Time/Breathe (Reprise)
Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus
Beastie Boys - Sabotage (Alex Metric Remix)

Walking Dead (played as a standalone track to end the set, extended intro, extended/remixed outro w/Chester's vocals mostly acapella)

According to Z-Trip's Mixcloud upload of his set, there's something by 6blocc somewhere in there too, but I'm guessing it was just a beat or some small transitional piece between songs, as I can't find anything significant enough for Shazam to pick up.

Note: From what I can tell, Joe Hahn did not guest during Z-Trip's set as has been reported elsewhere. Z-Trip gave Joe a shoutout at one point, as Joe was filming for his Instagram story from the side of the stage in view of the audience, but every clip I've seen of Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Closer only shows one person behind the turntables, and they don't switch out for somebody else at any point.

Long detail-oriented write-up of the LP set incoming...

Edited by Astat

Just wanted to share my two cents about the show.

• Intro tracks were great. Mike really did a great job and Joe was awesome for backup vocals.
  • Never been a huge fan of Roads Untraveled, but this easily shows that they should have played it live during the LT touring cycle.
  • Gavin Rossdale left my mouth wide fucking open. What an amazing take on LOATR. I would absolutely love this in studio quality. That being said, best performance of the night, imo.
  • Really didn't like Taka on SIB. Super whiny, and messed up the lyrics a bunch. Alanis Morissette and Castle of Glass is just a no. That rendition was weird, and Alanis just looked bored out of her mind, I mean is she performing or trying to hold her hip in place?
  • Mike, Steven, and Jon did absolutely wonderful on Nobody Can Save. Definitely one of the more bittersweet moments of the show.
  • Ilsey Juber was meh on Sharp Edges. Did not like her on TTM, she sounds awkward on the chorus.
  • I like Julia Michaels, but her singing was pretty off putting on Heavy. She kept cutting off a lot of the sentences short with quick breathing in between and it just did not work for her one bit. Kiiara was great as always. Seems like she tried singing it the way she always did with Chester, but Julia wouldn't really allow for that.
  • OML/LFAA were beautiful. Simple as that. Makes me wish I could thank Mike for the many years of amazing music.
  • Oli sounds great on the cam quality of Crawling. Love the fan interaction. Gave me a Chester vibe. Wish we just got the proper audio for the show.
  • Jeremy killing it on APFMH. Definitely came and owned it.
  • Best Rebellion to date. Everything was perfect about it, especially the final chorus, absolutely nailed it!
  • Deryck was fantastic on The Catalyst. The minute Mike announced him, I knew that was gonna work perfectly and he did not disappoint.
  • Man, none of those performances would have made me tear up except for New Divide. Seeing them perform with Chester helping in some form just breaks me. Thinking about it just gets to me.

Overall, it was a decent show. I want the band to keep playing and will support them if they stay as a 5 piece band, but this really did show how important Chester was and how no one really filled his shoes in perfectly. Some more than others. And despite me not liking all the acts, I still respect them for coming out to perform for a great cause and great man.

Edited by Broman