2015.11.01 - Tempe, AZ - Monster Mash

hahninator

Linkin Park's first show in the month of November takes place on Sunday, November 1st, when they close out Monster Mash in Tempe, Arizona. This is the band's first time on stage since ending their European Tour for The Hunting Party in early September.

Tempe itself (RIGHT next to Phoenix) has actually never hosted a Linkin Park show before so it's their first time there....under the LP name. The last known show by Hybrid Theory, before the name change to Linkin Park, was in Tempe on May 27, 2000. They also played Tempe in 1999. Just after the 2000 show, they changed their name to Linkin Park and started touring for the debut album. The first show in Arizona under the name Linkin Park was the popular Mason Jar 2000 show...

LP played five more shows in Arizona in 2000 after the name change, a significant amount for any state outside of California for them. Three shows in 2001, one in 2002, two in 2003, one in 2004, one in 2007, one in 2008, one in 2011, and three in 2014 have been held in Arizona. This is their 19th show in Arizona under the name Linkin Park. Hybrid Theory played two known shows in Arizona, but there are likely a few more unknown HT performances there.

The last show in Arizona was the intimate show in Scottsdale 2014 for Stars of the Season, but they headlined an arena in Phoenix on Carnivores Tour about a month prior. Ironically, Arizona hosted the FIRST show on the world tour for The Hunting Party, and arguably the largest show page we've ever had on LPLive - Tucson 2014. At this show, LP debuted Guilty All The Same, Wastelands, Until It's Gone, and the brand new, massive setlist for the touring cycle. Four Arizona shows on the world tour for The Hunting Party (3 in 2014, one in 2015) is the most for Linkin Park in that state since they toured for Hybrid Theory (2000-2002).

Both Scottsdale and Tempe (as well as Mesa, for that 2001) show are technically all suburbs of Phoenix, so literally every Linkin Park show in Arizona has been right there either in or just outside of Phoenix except for Tucson 2000 and Tucson 2014.

Linkin Park has been rehearsing for this show, of course, but we aren't expecting any changes to the show. The festival recently changed the structure of the entire fest, cutting day one (of three days), removing a band and adding another, and combining two stages into one. The current schedule says LP plays from 8:25pm MST to 9:55pm, a set time of 90 minutes. Opening will be Rob Zombie, Deftones, Puscifer (replacing Halestorm), and Ghost. The last time that the 90 minute setlist was played was in June for Milwaukee's Summerfest, and the only real difference between the 90 min set and the headlining set is the omission of Points Of Authority, Final Masquerade, and an encore break.

Honestly, they probably are going to stick with the same 90 minute show we saw this summer since these shows are the very end of the touring cycle for The Hunting Party. If something changes, we will be genuinely surprised. On November 14th for Relief live!, they might have to perform A Light That Never Comes with Steve Aoki, so there's always a chance that they're already working on that. An interesting fact about ALTNC is that it was performed in full ONE time ever - Las Vegas 2014.

The band has three total shows announced for November, which likely are the last shows for the year. After Monster Mash, they headline BlizzCon on November 7th and Relief Live! on November 14th. For the 2015 tour schedule, setlists, and more, click here.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rehearsal video of Welcome: https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153661102761788

Interesting to note that at about 1:18 you can see the touch screen on Mike's keyboard which lists a bunch of songs/tempos, and I'll Be Gone is among them...I really doubt it's being played at this point but the fact that it's in there means they must have at least rehearsed it at some point.

Good find.

https://instagram.com/p/9epHf1DmZM/?taken-by=m_shinoda

The picture Mike put on Instagram has both POA and Rebellion in the setlist (for Tempe/BlizzCon). Unless they drop something, that's the full headlining setlist. I think they'll have to get something out of the set because they literally have a 10:00pm curfew in TEmpe. Maybe they are rehearsing both and doing POA at one and Rebellion at the other.

On top of what Astat said about IBG, here's the rest of what the screen says:

WASTELANDS

CASTLE OF GLASS
CASTLE OF GLASS 115BPM
LOATR/SOTD
IRIDESCENT
ROBOT BOY
BURN IT DOWN
WAITING FOR THE END
NUMB
UIG INTRO (Encore Start)
UNTIL IT'S GONE
ALTNC A#
NEW DIVIDE
WHAT I'VE DONE
FINAL MASQUERADE
WELCOME
BREAKING THE HABIT
LINE IN THE SAND
I'LL BE GONE
WHEN THEY COME FOR ME
WTCFM SAMPLE
Drum Pads
??? (TLTGYA or APFMH?)
???

The one after BTH is A Line in the Sand, not Bleed It Out, and the last one says "Drum Pads," not "Drum Part." First COG entry has a note next to it (there are 2 entries because of the tempo change during COG Experience), UIG Intro says "UIG Intro (Encore Start)" in full.

Also, LOL @ ALTNC being written in A#. I'd assume they're going off the enharmonic major key for whatever reason since it's clearly in G minor...but c'mon Mike, I know you know at least a LITTLE theory, write that shit as Bb, not A#!

The one after BTH is A Line in the Sand, not Bleed It Out, and the last one says "Drum Pads," not "Drum Part." First COG entry has a note next to it (there are 2 entries because of the tempo change during COG Experience), UIG Intro says "UIG Intro (Encore Start)" in full.

Thanks, I'll fix that now. Still wondering what's written in the orange part... are those more song titles?

Also, LOL @ ALTNC being written in A#. I'd assume they're going off the enharmonic major key for whatever reason since it's clearly in G minor...but c'mon Mike, I know you know at least a LITTLE theory, write that shit as Bb, not A#!

What's wrong with A#? That's how I and everyone I know called it my whole live.

Is it possible at all that those could be for Mike's solo medley? WTCFM and IBG?

I don't think so. WTCFM didn't have any instrumental components in the medley, and IBG was never in the medley. We do know they rehearsed WTCFM for Carnivores, but IBG is "new".

Edited by SasstielExperience

What's wrong with A#? That's how I and everyone I know called it my whole live.

It has to do with the song's key signature. Technically speaking the "key of A# major" doesn't exist because there are 12 notes but you can only fit up to 7 sharps or flats in a key signature. You can't fit enough sharps in a key signature to get to A#, so you have to go with Bb major instead (which is enharmonic to G minor).

It's probably easier to look at it from how you'd write out the scale...any musical scale is going to use the letters A through G once each, and you add the appropriate accidentals to the necessary notes. So a G minor scale goes G, A, Bb, C, D, Eb, F, and back to G. If you wrote A# instead of Bb, you'd have two A's and no B's in the scale.

If you're looking at individual notes without any particular scale/key in mind, it doesn't really matter if you use A# or Bb, but it is something that matters in other situations.