"Wastelands" - Ian Camfield, XFM (June 1st)

lgr

XFM DJ Ian Camfield has announced via twitter that his show on Sunday, June 1st will feature the premiere of Wastelands in its entirety.

Having already been teased by a snippets of the song via recent UFC adverts and live videos from the band's recent show in Tucson, AZ, this will be the third song to be released in the build up to the band unleashing their brand new album, The Hunting Party.

Listeners will also have the chance to win VIP tickets to Download Festival!

" @linkinpark fans, listen @xfm rock show 11p Sun UK time for the premier of new song Wastelands"
https://twitter.com/iancamfield/status/472412417105096705

" This Sun 11p @xfm rock show [...] I have brand new Linkin Park & you can win VIP Download Fest tickets"
https://twitter.com/iancamfield/status/472411781944836098

Streaming will take place on the XFM website, on Sunday, June 1st at 11pm (UK Time), international listeners are advised to use the postcode W1A 4WW in order to access the online radio player.
After a few days, Camfield always uploads his show to soundcloud for a limited time, so you can listen again if you happen to miss out.

who's excited?

Yup, good news. This is going to be the last song I listen to before I buy the album in the store on 6/17. I decided I was only going to listen to 3 tracks on the album total (before it releases) after we found out that The Summoning and Drawbar were both interludes/instrumentals.

I think between UIG, GATS, and Wastelands...I'll be able to make it.

I won't listen to it before I hear the whole album, if I will hear it, then I will already know 3 tracks off the album, which is 1/4 of it. I don't like to listen to an album which I know a big part of already before listening. It's gonna be hard to hold myself away from listening to the track, but I'll try.

Such a great song.. my favorite of the 3 so far!!! I guess there is no need to tune in on Sunday now. Lol. Way to go Mike and way to go to whoever got the studio version uploaded for us.

Such a great song.. my favorite of the 3 so far!!! I guess there is no need to tune in on Sunday now. Lol. Way to go Mike and way to go to whoever got the studio version uploaded for us.

same for me! Really curious to find out if the songs get better and better which listening to other tracks when the album is out

Wastelands>UIG>GATS

all great songs though.

Wastelands and UIG top 5 LP songs *runs and hides*

same for me! Really curious to find out if the songs get better and better which listening to other tracks when the album is out

according to TurtleGuy who wrote the review the songs get better from here out and that besides "Final Masquerade" the songs get heavier but that FM still has energy to it.

He also said this about KTTK:

"Imagine the structure of Wastelands, except instead of the poppy Wastelands chorus it's Chester screaming all he has got for the choruses. Also, it's just a heavier song in general."

When asked compared to QWERTY (live version): "Yes, it's on that level. For. Every. Chorus."

When asked in comparison to Victimized: "Let's say heavy with a purpose. Victimized always felt like a mini heavy "idea"."

When asked about a standout moment on the album:

"I love love love the guitar work on MTG. Mike said after the listening that Brad would just come in the studio and loop the song and solo over it just for fun. He wasn't even trying to write one to record it. That tells you how fun the guitar is."

"KTTK, MTG, and ALITS. The intro again is just the BEST. Do yourself a favor and crank it up when you start KTTK."

Source: He's answering questions on LPA and I thought I would share them here since a lot of you don't read LPA.

EDIT: the album closes on a soft note but the overall song isnt soft.

On ALITS: "It has a progression of ATS intro, straight up rock song building up, huge bridge where the band just catches fire, to soft ATS close."

On songs he didn't like from the album: "I openly admit I hate most songs on MTM.
But on this one only the song WAR gave me a bad taste. Old school punk doesn't appeal to me at all. I hate the speed and I hate the singing of that type of music.
Hearing Chester sing it was the only part I liked.
But that's personal taste, for me, hearing it I instantly knew its the song that I'll skip over a lot."

On interludes between songs: "Yes these are little electronic fills between the songs. Hello #HahnSamples.
Actually regarding interludes at the end of All For Nothing there are little kids talking to each other and one says something like "We aren't supposed to say ____" or "I'm not supposed to say _____"
I couldn't make out the last word but I'm guessing its a cuss word. :p"

On Mark the Graves: "I wish I could answer but it was so loud I couldn't make out intricate things or differences. I'm excited to hear it again. I'll get so much more. One thing I do remember is the intro reminded me of the intro to BYOB. Fast and Heavy."

Edited by Bliss

Good song. For me, choosing between Wastelands, UIG, and GATS is basically splitting hairs. They're all good songs but not great songs in my opinion. And that's because they all lack something in the chorus (especially UIG but Wastelands does also as far as originality goes...and maybe so does GATS) or on the verses (Not Wastelands though. Wastelands probably has the best verses out of the 3 songs). I'd give GATS an 8/10, UIG an 8 or 8.5/10, and Wastelands probably an 8/10.

In any case, I can't wait to hear some of the other songs that I think will be more complete and just better written, especially on the choruses. Again, the three songs so far are good. I'm just expecting there to be at least 2 or 3 tracks that will be better than what we've heard so far. I feel like A Line in the Sand will be one of them.

Edited by LinkinParkHotspur

From what I've found, these songs need to be played loud before making a judgment. That and combined with my computer's speaker settings, I've realized I need to either have them on my iPod or in my car.

GATS - it's alright, it'll grow on me. In the car: FUCK YEAH LET'S GO DO SHIT

UIG - eh. In the car: I DON'T CARE IF I CAN'T SING I WILL BELT THIS OUT TILL I'M HOARSE

Wastelands - pretty decent, first verse seems unfinished? In the car: TBD

Overall, I'm really impressed with this album, not just because more LP material, but because the songs are fantastic. Can't wait for the leak/release