Linkin Park Honored at UCLA

SergSlim

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LP gave us the Moscow 2011 DSP for free, they could stuff like that more often for the hardcore fans. Give it to us through LPU or something. Since DSP's ended back in 2012, I think it would be cool to give us maybe even some exclusive rare live track on LPU releases again, or put them in the audio section on the LPU website. Why not? We know they record practically everything in recent years (2007 onwards), so it's just sitting there. I'm not saying everything, just some rare stuff, like this performance of SOTD and WID.

Great that we've got this performance. What I've Done sounded a little bit lackluster, tough. I was expecting more melody in the piano, due to the lack of other instrument, they even skipped the bridge since it didn't have piano, originally. Anyway good to see some different stuff on now older songs.

I'm so glad that they mentioned once again that the new album is going to be so fucking loud!

I know, I can't wait. They keep saying ''this summer'', too. I wonder if it will come out in June after all? It could be July, or even August... GATS is pretty heavy instrumentally, the vocals aren't as heavy in that track, but I bet there will be some heavier style vocals on the album.

Listening to the performance... I feel like it should be listed as LOATR/SOTD/WID, It's more of a medley than separate performances, they each bleed into each other quite nicely. If not, SOTD "Outro Transition" into WID.

Amazing performance, I agree with Soul that this was LOATR/SOTD/WID medley. Chester's voice sounded great here. It would be awesome if Mike would play WID guitar solo on piano.

Seems like the new album will be really heavy, that Mike warned people who don't know LP to not buy the album, based on the performance, and warned about heart attack.

Is it only me or Chester chumming the gum or looking like he chums the gum, is annoying?

Great that we've got this performance. What I've Done sounded a little bit lackluster, tough. I was expecting more melody in the piano, due to the lack of other instrument, they even skipped the bridge since it didn't have piano, originally. Anyway good to see some different stuff on now older songs.

WID has piano during the guitar solo, the only part of the song without piano is the little vocal/guitar break between the solo and last chorus. They probably cut out part of the song because they basically performed WID as part of what's normally the Ballad Medley, replacing the Iridescent portion. Wouldn't make sense to perform a medley with one full song and two incomplete ones.

This is going in the list of songs played live as "Leave Out All the Rest/Shadow of the Day/What I've Done (Medley)," I don't cae what the show page says (it needs to be updated either way though).

Edited by Astat

This is going in the list of songs played live as "Leave Out All the Rest/Shadow of the Day/What I've Done (Medley)," I don't cae what the show page says (it needs to be updated either way though).

Good, it makes more sense because Mike basically led into WID right after SOTD, just not with anything like the album interlude after SOTD.

That medley sounded pretty good. I'm really pumped about the new album. I really want to believe Mike when he says the new music is loud and in your face, but I don't want to have very high expectations yet.

didn't they (Linkin Park) say that Living Things was going to be heavy, fast pace and in your face. but in the end a lot of people were still disappointed with the album. you shouldn't have such high expectations until you actually hear the album.

didn't they (Linkin Park) say that Living Things was going to be heavy, fast pace and in your face. but in the end a lot of people were still disappointed with the album. you shouldn't have such high expectations until you actually hear the album.

I don't recall them using anything other than "energetic" when describing Living Things, and the whole idea of shorter "firecracker" songs. Oh, and the whole "using all the tools in the toolbox" thing, haha.

They said that LT was mix of their recent stuff (then), and their old stuff like HT.

Mike/LP said that LT was using all the tools in their toolbox and that they wouldn't have been able to make the album without making every single one of the albums before it. I agree. LT DOES encompass all of their albums into one, whether you like the album or not, it's true. It has songs like LGM, LITE or Victimized that would fit on HT or Meteora but a little more modern sounding. It has songs like IMR, IBG or BID that would fit on a record like MTM pretty well, just not as electroish. It has songs like UIB and Powerless that would fit well on ATS, and then it has songs that were made for LT, the 'folk' demo songs. LP wasn't trying to push the boundaries super far with LT, that wasn't their goal. They made whatever they thought sounded good and put it out, without being afraid to use some of their older roots, etc. I personally love LT.

The hype for this next album, THP, is very different. Mike has been saying since at least September of last year that he wanted to kind of ''revive rock'' back into the mainstream. LP tossed out all of their old demos in favor of this new, heavier, more in your face style songs. Honestly, I feel like they are taking the same approach that they were with ATS, but it sounds opposite of that, that is the only difference. They have the attitude they had when making ATS, they had a vision that they wanted to take and run with, and they are pushing boundaries, for example, including a 6 minute song with Rakim as their lead single. Having Paige Hamilton and Daron Malakian on the album. And judging by recent reviews, it seems all songs are pretty heavy, which the band has never done since Hybrid Theory. I also feel like this record will alienate LP fans, much like ATS did, while LT kind of remained neutral and even brought back some older fans into interest.

Some of you might call me a hypocrite because I always bash ATS. I want to make this clear. I don't HATE the album at all. I actually like it, it's just my least favorite album out of the 5 so far. It took me a couple years to understand ATS and appreciate it, and when I did, I realized it's a great record and it might even be LP's best work (just not my favorite work), if that makes sense.