First Linkin Park 2014 Studio Update

hahninator

Mike just posted a blog discussing the band recording their next album, due out later this year. He offers some interesting facts about the process, including the fact that LP is not recording at NRG again.

"As many of you have already noticed, I’ve been away from my blog / Twitter / Instagram for a while, since we’re pretty deep into the writing and recording process. I wanted to take a moment to tell you about what’s going on.

As most Linkin Park fans know, the sound of each album is usually quite different from the last. The new album is no exception. But as usual, the album’s sound twists and turns as it is created, so any attempt at estimating what it sounds like today would be silly. The moment I tell you it sounds like “X”, the songs will automatically take a drastic turn and evolve into something different within a week.

But what I can tell you is I’m inspired. We’re inspired.

The band is trying all kinds of things we haven’t before. First of all, we’re not in the same studio. All our previous albums (except MTM) were recorded at the same studio; this album is not being done there. All our previous albums were done with a producer at the helm; this album has largely been self-produced. We normally write in a organized and regimented style, recorded into the computer; this album has been the product of a mix of focused experimentation and free form jamming. We’re even tracking parts to tape instead of going exclusively digital.

I’ve been spending 10-12 hours a day in the studio–jamming, experimenting, writing, recording, re-writing, re-recording…searching for the sound that truly captures where we’re at as a band right now. Something bold and energetic. Something with a balance between the chaos and order.

As ever, we’re digging deep to craft the best songs that will set the tone for the next step, that will draw a line between what we’re doing and everything else.

We can’t wait for you to hear it this summer."

What do you think? Are you excited?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... f***ing awesome!! I cannot wait for this album. Very interesting that this album has been largely self produced, maybe Mike will just start producing all of LP's album from here on out, he is definitely capable. A lot of fans will also be happy to read this and discover that Rick Rubin may not be involved with this album, seeing as how a lot of fans don't like Rick Rubin for whatever reason. Also very interesting that they aren't recording at NRG like all of there past albums (except for MTM). I wonder where they are recording? That is cool as well. The line that got me the most excited is ''We can’t wait for you to hear it this summer.'' God damn this is going to be AWESOME.

Are you excited?

Of course, it looks like they are going really oldschool, I mean, they're tracking parts to tape, I don't think there is any band that does that nowadays.Now we know it gonna come in summer, if not I'll get really angry.

Apart from that and new studio, there was nothing special about this post, Mike is a workaholic, the album will sound different than the previous albums, it changes it's sound from week to week etc.

The line that got me the most excited is ''We can’t wait for you to hear it this summer.'' God damn this is going to be AWESOME.

Well that's funny because just a few days ago you said the album would sound like shit because, I quote, it's the "most rushed album LP has ever made and they need to take way more time and release it in 2015."

Hmm.

michalangelo - NO. PLEASE NO

I'm really liking how this update sounded. Having them just messing around and trying stuff without someone looking over their shoulder will definitely make it closer to what they want, meaning more excitement for the work and hopefully a better record than with an external producer.

I really liked Living Things, but they could definitely do better and I don't think they could do that with Rick Rubin. With the jam sessions, it's definitely possible for tracks in the vein of Wake, WTCFM, TLTGYA, etc. - where the band either blends really well or they try different things to give a song a new and more intense sound (WTCFM had all the drums, TLTGYA had its outro, Iridescent had gang vocals and shifts in roles).

As far as what I personally am hoping from this album, I want to have songs that can be like Apaches/WFTE/Wall of Sound either on the album or live. I think I've said this before, using Imagine Dragons' Night Visions/Live shows as an example, but it would be great to have a new LP album where each song is just begging to be played live because of its high energy and full sound (i.e. APFMH or the Iridescent Bridge/outro and WFTE 2012/2013, not Skin to Bone)

I'm not putting a lot of faith into some of what's being said here, or at least not in the way a lot of people will probably interpret it:

1. The whole "jamming" thing. They might get a usable guitar riff or drum break or something to that effect out of a free-form jam session that's subsequently refined into a song later, but it's no secret that the guys in Linkin Park aren't particularly improvisational musicians. Their live shows and their often ill-fated attempts at doing something unrehearsed are a testament to that.

2. The album being self-produced. It was reported back in December of 2012 that Rick Rubin would be involved with this album. Since then, Mike's posted a photo from a session he did at Rick's house, and Rick's done a remix of ALTNC. I'd be shocked if Rick's name doesn't end up on the final product (perhaps as an "executive producer" rather than a traditional production credit), and I have a hunch one of LP's longtime studio collaborators may also be getting a bit of a "promotion" of sorts when the liner notes for this album are revealed.

3. Tracking to tape. This IS something that still exists in 2014, but not in the sense most people think of. If you're tracking to tape these days, it's purely for the sound that tape produces. Nobody WANTS to edit/mix/master a record in analog anymore, it's a nightmare. They're probably using a machine that tracks simultaneously to tape and Pro Tools, allowing them to do their usual editing process while capturing the sound of an analog recording. If you were to go off of the old SPARS codes, this kind of recording would use the ADD abbreviation - analogue recording, digital mixing, digital mastering.

Anyway, I suppose I'll provide a little more information: This album is being recorded in multiple locations, kind of like how Living Things was, except the "central" location is no longer NRG. For the sake of keeping information confidential that's probably supposed to stay that way for the time being, I won't say what the new location is, but it's pretty easy to figure out if you cross-reference social media posts from the LP members with those of some of their longtime crew members. (Side note: Nobody straight-up TOLD me where the album's being recorded, I just did some digging and figured it out myself.) They've also been doing recording at Mike and Joe's houses, like usual.

Well that's funny because just a few days ago you said the album would sound like shit because, I quote, it's the "most rushed album LP has ever made and they need to take way more time and release it in 2015."

Hmm.

That was like 2 or 3 weeks ago and who knows when the album will come out. If it comes out in June/July/August, I wouldn't say it's rushed because that will mean it has been 2 years and then some since their last album came out. If the album comes out in March/April/May I would say it is a bit rushed, yes. While I would have preferred the band to release the album in 2015, I guess it's not all that bad if it's around that time this Summer. I just want the album to be good. I haven't heard any of the music yet, but this blog post has got me super excited. The only thing I sound like shit that LP has been involved with is STP and Chester. I hope Chester leaves STP.

Mike's update on the actual quality of the album, and not the production, has left me both excited and crazymad. We're getting so teased with pictures and updates on studio time, bit we have basically NOTHING to go off of in terms of sound. The anomaly of it is exciting however, and Mike gave a simultaneously informative and vague at the same time.