OML B-Sides In The Future?

RogueSoul

Brad recently did an interview with Billboard talking about the new album, and dropped some particularly interesting information.

He began the interview expressing his thankfulness to the fans for the success of One More Light, talking about the album's #1 debut and more:

Obviously, there are always risks involved, so for us, the reward is the music itself, for sure," guitarist and One More Light co-producer Brad Delson tells Billboard. "To have our sixth [studio] album hit No. 1, it's really, really humbling, and we're just super grateful for everyone who collaborated with us on this project, to our team and to our fans here in the States and really around the world, 'cause the album had a huge debut globally. The fact that it debuted even beyond what we predicted is a great starting point, and now we get to bring those songs on the road and share them every night."

He continued on to talk about the album writing process, and said something interesting:

Delson says Linkin Park worked up some 70 song ideas during the process, and with only 10 on the actual album, there would appear to be a wealth of additional material to tap.

"There's definitely a few gems that we've got in our back pocket," Delson confirms. "But I would say the vast majority of those songs fortunately will never see the light of day. They were just a part of the journey; the ones that were the most satisfying and exciting were the ones we ultimately focused on and finished and make up the album."

That could mean a number of things. The first thing to spring to mind: b-sides! We haven't gotten a proper b-side from the band since A Thousand Suns with 'Blackbirds,' and some of the band's most beloved songs happen to be b-sides, like 'No Roads Left' and 'Across The Line' from Minutes To Midnight.

This could also mean that the band will revisit some of the material they wrote for this record on the next one. It's not unheard of; plenty of songs were finished in other album cycles. 'A Line In The Sand' was originally 'Odyssey' when it was written during the A Thousand Suns cycle, and we are all familiar with 'Primo' from A Thousand Suns that eventually became 'I'll Be Gone' on Living Things. Linkin Park often go back in their arsenal to pluck some seeds and work them into actual songs, so perhaps we'll see this happen with the One More Light tracks.

We'll have to wait and find out! It's been far too long since we've gotten a proper b-side from the band, and this sounds like the perfect opportunity. Be sure to read the entire article, there's lots of good stuff in it. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for any news regarding new music.

I don't know why they're so secretive. I know that it's smart to hold onto songs, like mentioned in the article. You don't want to release a blackbirds, then realize that it would sound better with a new tone on a future album. But if they know they won't release a song, then LPU is a perfect means to release those tracks. Just eager as a fan to always hear new music

inb4 LP talks more about how this album was written with lyrics first, only for us to mysteriously end up with 3 or 4 "instrumental" tracks from the OML sessions on the next LPU CD, lol.

That would be hilarious. I always kind of figured that the whole "lyrics first" thing wasn't the case for the entirety of the OML sessions though. Good Goodbye is a prime example of a song where I think Mike probably made a beat that he felt was cool, and decided to turn it into a full song.

Edited by Justin

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is the Mercedes video, and also a little discussion about the lyrics (it's not Invisible or Sharp Edges, of course lol):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14bifouWas8&feature=youtu.be

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinkinPark/comments/61f57d/possible_new_linkin_park_lyrics_from_one_more/

Lyrics seems something like this:

Running out / through a new / isolation

Climbing up feeling so alone

Setting of / to a new / destination

Somewhere still unknown

Steps forgiven

Words forgotten

I don't even know which way to feel

I've been dreaming

This so often

I forget that what's in my head is real

And I'm

Throwing all the pictures

Throwing all the pictures away

(And I'll write another story)

No one waiting for me

No one is forgiven

??? done coping

??? with being broken

??? something worth missing

This is the Mercedes video, and also a little discussion about the lyrics (it's not Invisible or Sharp Edges, of course lol):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14bifouWas8&feature=youtu.be

https://www.reddit.com/r/LinkinPark/comments/61f57d/possible_new_linkin_park_lyrics_from_one_more/

Lyrics seems something like this:

Running out / through a new / isolation

Climbing up feeling so alone

Setting of / to a new / destination

Somewhere still unknown

Steps forgiven

Words forgotten

I don't even know which way to feel

I've been dreaming

This so often

I forget that what's in my head is real

And I'm

Throwing all the pictures

(And I'll write another story)

No one waiting for me

No one is forgiven

??? done coping

??? with being broken

??? something worth missing

Nice post. And also, the lyrics seem pretty dark. Probably Chester singing them. He went through a lot during OML era.