Mike Shinoda produced new One OK Rock song

Stranger

Last year we saw a photo of Taka, the vocalist for One Ok Rock (OOR) took a photo with Mike Shinoda in the studio. Most of us think he's the guest for new album but turns out something else.

The band, One Ok Rock will release new album this week and one of the track, "One Way Ticket" is co-produced by Mike Shinoda. I found out when I was searching for #MikeShinoda on Instagram and found a post in Japanese (I tried translate it using Google Translate) and says "mike shinoda produce". I keep on searching and found a credit on the booklet.

The album already leaked and their fans really love that track. Gonna check it out soon.

post-2248-0-20333600-1484068335_thumb.png

post-2248-0-21494700-1484068354_thumb.png

post-2248-0-64339000-1484068372_thumb.jpg

Nah, man.

LP can be pop, but not that kind. Far away from that. This is boyband pop, made for 13 y/o girls with "crushes" on older boys.

LP's sound is always more mature.

When I first heard LP wanted to do a pop album, I expected pop rock. Because they're a rock band. I didn't think it would be THIS kind of pop. But I'm sure it will be. Which sucks. I'm glad that I stopped caring about the new album and the band's studio side as of late.

They're also catering to this age group and people, I actually agree. Just look at the way they are dressing lately. Look at their social media shit, all that stupid SJW shit and everything else. I'll still go see them live because they're a good live band and they will still play a shit ton of old stuff too, but I've really become uninterested in them as a studio band and other stuff.

I also agree with Broman. That's what I've been doing, listening to other bands and artists for once. Fuck LP. But yeah, a complete 180 from THP. But is that good? When LP made ATS, you could see how it was an evolved form of the MTM sound. LT borrowed elements of all the first 4 albums into one sound, that was cool. THP really was a big step outwards for LP, like ATS was, but LT borrowed some elements from ATS. If this album doesn't borrow some elements from THP, that would be kind of shitty.

It's funny, the band had this whole ''FUCK POP'' mentality in 2014 and made fun of all these artists who make this kind of music, etc. and now they're making this kind of music. Pop rock would have been fine, but pure pop, wow. And people can argue and say that Mike didn't really say he hated pop, but c'mon, don't kid yourself. Watch the fucking interviews and everything else.

This new ONE OK ROCK song that Mike produced, I couldn't pay attention during it. It sounded so boring and cliche and mainstream. That type of music doesn't interest me at all. Pop rock, I like. Alternative rock, I like. Pop punk, I like. Any of those would have been cool to hear from LP. But not this type of music, at least for me personally. I know they wouldn't ever go metalcore or hardcore but those other genres, I wouldn't mind those.

Edited by Geki

Actually it's not that bad in my opinion. Remember that Mike only co-produced that song which can mean anything, it could be that he had a "Do whatever you want" approach.

I think you guys are wrong about this band, they don't seem to be a typical pop band for 13 year olds, not even truly pop. Strangely enough, it is the only song of them that sounds so poppy, otherwise their songs are modern rock. Did Mike fuck up/force them to do a pop song or was he like "don't be affraid do something you haven't done before"? We can only speculate.

Mike must have paid a visit here every now and then he must have seen what the community expects

I just expected an album similar to A Thousand Suns. Mature lyrics, mature sound, experimental but not mainstream, etc. But I knew they were going to do a pop album from the beginning, because of the little hints that the band gave, etc. and I think everyone expected a pop sound overall. From the VERY little information we have on this album, it seems very poppy and mainstream driven. And those lyrics that were leaked from Andrew Goldstein's Snapchat a while back were similar to something Justin Beiber or Rihanna would have written (or at least their ghost writers, since I don't think they actually write their own lyrics). At the end of the day, I don't really care. They probably will only play maybe 3 or 4 songs from this new album live. I'll still get to hear all the other songs from past albums at a live show and that is important to me.

Edited by Geki

Just going to respond to some stuff I've seen here, perhaps for arguments sake and also for some clarity.

Anyone calling this pop clearly does not know the nature of alternative rock, or rock in general. Alternative rock is not what it was in 2006 or 2007. It's definitely become more similar to pop rock than it was then, but the very essence of rock music in general is the same reason why it remains a popular genre today: it evolves. If rock never changed, it would still be the sound of Guns N' Roses and AC/DC. If you want that, there are still bands who cater to that kind of sound today - go listen to them. If you want 2007/2008 alternative rock, listen to music from then or other bands who have the same kind of sound today. This song in fact is probably one of the closest things you'll get

LP can be pop, but not that kind. Far away from that. This is boyband pop, made for 13 y/o girls with "crushes" on older boys.

LP's sound is always more mature.

This is one of the strangest and most disillusioned arguments so far. So much so that there really isn't any argument. This is no way indicative of anything related to Linkin Park. Everyone saying this seems to forget that Mike produced Avicii's 'Wake Me Up' in 2013 - one of the most popular house/EDM songs of the year. Also in 2013 came ALTNC. The next year came THP. You can't say anything about how this song sounds is indicative of what the next record will sound like. This is more of a side-project (in layman's terms) than anything. Mike is clearly a fan of the music, so he's doing something he believes in. You can't have a problem with someone working on something they truly believe in.

I'd also like to comment on the whole "boyband pop" argument too. That is just nonsense. If that's what you think this song is, than songs like 'In Pieces' and 'Leave Out All The Rest' might as well fall under that category, too. There are plenty of LP songs that have had the same lyrical content this one has. A song doesn't need to be written be Shakespeare to have an emotional value. The simplest words can sometimes say the strongest things. The "13 y/o girls with "crushes" on older boys" is also nonsense. Perhaps because I'm in a long-distance relationship and have been for more than a year, I can really understand the message of this song. I'm not going to tell you that you have to like the song or even remotely enjoy it, but branding it as something like that when LP can easily be put in the same category while trying to defend your position is downright silly.

When I first heard LP wanted to do a pop album, I expected pop rock. Because they're a rock band. I didn't think it would be THIS kind of pop. But I'm sure it will be. Which sucks. I'm glad that I stopped caring about the new album and the band's studio side as of late.

They're also catering to this age group and people, I actually agree. Just look at the way they are dressing lately. Look at their social media shit, all that stupid SJW shit and everything else. I'll still go see them live because they're a good live band and they will still play a shit ton of old stuff too, but I've really become uninterested in them as a studio band and other stuff.

That's what I've been doing, listening to other bands and artists for once. Fuck LP. But yeah, a complete 180 from THP. But is that good? When LP made ATS, you could see how it was an evolved form of the MTM sound. LT borrowed elements of all the first 4 albums into one sound, that was cool. THP really was a big step outwards for LP, like ATS was, but LT borrowed some elements from ATS. If this album doesn't borrow some elements from THP, that would be kind of shitty.

It's funny, the band had this whole ''FUCK POP'' mentality in 2014 and made fun of all these artists who make this kind of music, etc. and now they're making this kind of music. Pop rock would have been fine, but pure pop, wow. And people can argue and say that Mike didn't really say he hated pop, but c'mon, don't kid yourself. Watch the fucking interviews and everything else.

This new ONE OK ROCK song that Mike produced, I couldn't pay attention during it. It sounded so boring and cliche and mainstream. That type of music doesn't interest me at all. Pop rock, I like. Alternative rock, I like. Pop punk, I like. Any of those would have been cool to hear from LP. But not this type of music, at least for me personally. I know they wouldn't ever go metalcore or hardcore but those other genres, I wouldn't mind those.

There's a lot of stuff here I'd like to address. I'll just go down the line from top to bottom. "Rock band" can really mean anything anymore. So can pop rock. Pop rock is pretty much a subgenre of alternative rock at this point - listen to bands like Against The Current or even Paramore's latest record. This song right here is definitely in the crossroad of alternative and pop rock, I will admit that, but that doesn't diminish it's message or sound in any way. If it was some fabricated garbage (not from an opinion standpoint, but from a technical standpoint), I'm 100% confident Mike would not have given his time towards the song. He's not the kind of guy to work towards something he doesn't believe in. Paramore, 30STM, Fall Out Boy, even Opeth are all bands that went from a heavier sound to a lighter one and still succeeded with flying colors regardless of what your opinion of them are. "Poppier" is not an indicator of quality.

You can't bash a band for trying to promote themselves. I don't see what you see as "stupid SJW shit" that they've been doing. If you mean donating to wildlife funds, charity, and so forth, then I think you need to re-evaluate your understanding of the term "SJW" even remotely refers too. And to go as low as saying "look at what they're wearing" as an argument just makes you an asshole. The way a band is able to stay relevant as well as give back to the world is exactly what they are doing: marketing themselves as well as giving back to the world. There's absolutely nothing wrong with what they're doing, and absolutely no relation to their music.

I agree with most of what you're saying here, but there's also a lot of contradiction. I personally don't think ATS was an evolved form of the MTM sound whatsoever - the only real connection I can see are the political overtones of NMS carrying through on ATS. Meteora > MTM, MTM > ATS (to an extent), and LT > THP are all 180s for LP's sound. I don't get what you're trying to say about where THP falls in this argument because you just go back to talking about LT. Your argument is structured such that it says "All albums are good because they borrow from previous albums' elements. THP doesn't do that, but it's still good.. If the next album doesn't do that, it's bad."

A lot of people misinterpreted what the message of THP's sound was. At no point was it a "fuck pop" statement. It was a message on what the band wanted to hear and what they weren't seeing enough of in rock music. Yes, they thought rock WAS getting a bit saturated and safe, but that's independent of pop music. They were in the mindset of creating that record because that's what they wanted to make. If that's the same mindset they have here, then so be it. You can't say "watch the interviews" to argue that Mike didn't say he hated pop, because look at his music tastes over the last few years. 75% of what he's listened to since the ATS era has been pop and electronic. Look at his tastes now in his playlist: I remember seeing BANKS (10/10), Post Malone, and more popular or upcoming artists today lately. It's been this way for ages. There's no indication of him hating pop during the THP cycle, so there is no irony to be found.

You're entitled to your opinion about this song - I'm not here to defend it in anyway. I don't care if you don't like it or not. But all I'll say is that this song is definitively an alternative rock song. It's not the same sound that alt. rock was in the mid-2000s which I know is your jam (there's nothing wrong with that, the mid-2000s was a rockin' time for music), but it is alt. rock in its modern form.

Its all subjective. Whatever the case being, music is music. If you guys don't like the sound, you just listen to something else. Not a big deal.

If you don't like what you're hearing and are to blind-sighted to be able to look forward beyond the fact that this isn't even a Linkin Park song, take this advice. Broman's the voice of reason. We've seen enough of the privileged fan attitude lately, everyone acting like LP losing one fan because they didn't like their sound is the end of the world. LP caters to whatever LP wants to hear. That's what we know and love about this band. They will never have a record that sounds the same. If you don't like it, you don't like it. So be it. Don't try to

Not trying to start any hatred or anger here, nor am I attacking anyone; I just wanted to share some points that I've seen in this thread that are bothering and are being too self-absorbed about this whole process. If I responded to you just keep in mind I'm speaking generally rather than to you, if that makes sense.

I'm basically done with the LP community. I don't even care about this band anymore, aside from their live side. Their SJW attitude I was referring to was how the band members want to shove their political beliefs down my throat and how anything that's a trending news story is talked about, but only from the liberal world. They're trying to purposely put that out there. Before, the band was careful about that kind of thing and they didn't want to shove their opinions down people's throats, now they do. And their image, I don't care if I sound like an asshole. Again, look at what they're wearing. I've lost all excitement and hope for this album and for the first time in my life, I'm over Linkin Park. It sucks because I've wasted so much time and money into the band but that's my own fault I guess. But stil, I'm not a fan of this style of the band. The band has done poppy stuff before but never like this. Pop rock is what BID and LOATR are. Alternative rock is an entirely different genre altogether, you have it mistaken. Final Masquerade and MTM for the most part are alternative rock. Pop is something different completely. And the fanbase has become really young and it's just not the same. It's obvious they're appealing to that crowd

Edited by Geki

At the end of the day, I don't really care.

Really? Because it seems like you do care. A lot. Someone that truly doesn't care about whatever LP does studio-wise (which is 100% fine, you do you) wouldn't spend so much of their time doing nothing but bitching about how they can't stand that it MIGHT be going in a poppier direction. It seriously seems like you're trying to convince YOURSELF that you don't give a shit about what LP does in the studio because you don't like the potential direction of the album.

What Dylan and Broman said is 100% correct. This is not in anyway indicative of what LP7 will sound like, nor are you (general you) being forced to listen to this, a song from a Japanese pop rock/alternative rock band. There are plenty of other bands doing plenty of other sounds out there.

Edited by SasstielExperience

It's also, like, everyone on this site is constantly ganging up on me for my opinion and stuff. You're right, I do spend too much time on this site. But I thought having a long break and coming back would change me, it didn't, I'm still the same person. This super long wait for the new music on top of the whole SJW thing from the band members this past year, and the fact that the band is making some Justin Bieber style pop album have really killed it for me.

Edited by Geki

It's also, like, everyone on this site is constantly ganging up on me for my opinion and stuff. You're right, I do spend too much time on this site. But I thought having a long break and coming back would change me, it didn't, I'm still the same person. This super long wait for the new music on top of the whole SJW thing from the band members this past year, and the fact that the band is making some Justin Bieber style pop album have really killed it for me.

Dude, everyone's "ganging up" on you for a good reason. You're making a bunch of unreasonable assumptions despite the fact that you and everyone else have heard nothing from the new album. Yeah we may have had some SC and instagram teasers that sound "popish", but there's a very good chance that the end product won't sound anything like that. Also, you're claiming that they're headed towards a pure pop direction. How can you be so sure? There's many images and videos of them recording drum loops and guitar riffs. You really think they're gonna drop all real instruments and replace them with synthesizers? That's something that Justin Bieber or Drake would do, but not LP. If anything, they're headed towards more of a R&B/Hip hop direction, with of course, a good touch of Linkin Park. I mean think about it, true pop is usually up-beat with atrocious, elementary lyrics that a 10 year old would find amusing. But they've explained how they've put a larger influence on lyrics, and less on sound, and that the songs are a lot more personal and intimate. Pop just doesn't fit in that case. If anything it'll probably be their slowest record, which is, like I said, more along the lines of R&B and maybe soft rock.

Honestly just wait until the full album is out, and once you've had a good listen of all of the tracks, that's where you'll be able to develop a valid opinion. But right now you're just letting your assumptions get the best of you. Nothing but pointless anger.

Edited by Ferny99

Have you listened to what anyone said in this thread? How can you know what the album will sound like, have you heard it? You just keep complaining about something that "you don't care about" and you should be called out for it. It's getting really tiresome. I like your passion, but you are all over the place.