"Mike Shinoda and Friends"? Mike to possibly perform live in 2024?

LPLStaff

Jonathan Slye, CEO of Blue Ridge Rock Festival, has posted an exclusive snapshot for his game plan for 2024 for his festival, held at the Virginia International Raceway in Alton, VA.

In the Facebook group "BLUE RIDGE ROCK FESTIVAL FAN ZONE" with over 40,000 members, he has released his list of what his "game plan" is for 2024 and says that much of the artist bookings are already in motion. To kick it off, he mentions System of a Down and how he would like to get them, but goes on to list a number of acts: Korn, Avenged Sevenfold, Bring Me the Horizon, Alice in Chains, Godsmack, Deftones, Incubus, Judas PRriest, Breaking Benjamin, Weird Al, Volbeat, Mike Shinoda & Friends, Sum 41 (farewell), and more.

His post reads, "As promised, here is the Fan Zone exclusive snapshot at what my game plan is at the moment for 2024. Much of this is already in motion given where you all have taken sales to for Blue Ridge this year. This plan is what I would call "subject to fan approval" as that is what matters here at Blue Ridge. So, take a look below and weigh-in in the comments! At Blue Ridge this year we are also working on perks/exclusive 2024 ticket pricing for those in attendance."

There are several interesting things about this list that he says is in motion - first, Blue Ridge Rock Festival is known for booking a lot of artist reunions and getting exclusive one-off shows. Next, what exactly is "Mike Shinoda & Friends"? Is this simply Mike, Dan, and Matt, or is it something like Mike with other artists? Any Linkin Park members like Phoenix?

Festivals are booked very far in advance, as we've seen announcements for Linkin Park 7+ months before festivals actually happen and undoubtedly contracts are discussed, offers are made, and more well before that. For example, Andy Copping was already in discussions with Linkin Park's camp in July 2017 for the band to headline Download Australia in March 2018

But where did he get the name "Mike Shinoda & Friends"? Has Mike/his team put it out there that he will be touring under that name in 2024 in order to get some festivals already booked and on the table? Or is this just simply wishful thinking by Jonathan Slye? It seems unlikely he would just make that artist name up, but anything is possible. He added in his post:

"Note: The following is just a snapshot. As always, I focus on the overall body of work to give you something throughout your entire day's at Blue Ridge. With that in mind, I have included a lot of the top targets for midcard and undercard as well. Lastly, I did not include any names from this year's lineup, but there will be some repeats (as always) from top performing/requested bands that are playing this year."

We have quite a long time until this festival announces its 2024 lineup, but the fact that the name "Mike Shinoda & Friends" is mentioned as he's already putting things in motion for 2024's festival may give us some potentially good news. Mike Shinoda has not performed live since September 8, 2019, almost four years ago already.

Maybe Mike performing LP songs with other famous guests?

Similar to what happened @ Hollywood Bowl

The " & friends" part is a really interesting hint.

My theory is that Slye already talked to Mike and asked for Linkin Park and the guys said no.

FROM the business point of view Mike Shinoda with some famous friends playing Linkin Park songs would attract more people than Mike w his almost unknown solo project.

Edited by JZLP-NaughtyNottingham

Well if can speculate, id guess they made contact with Mike about booking him and Mike was possibly open to it but didnt really know with who or how, cause its always either LP or SOB or Dan/Matt. So they keep it open as a possibility in case he makes up his mind and forms a lineup, or something like that. I think he is just used to always be with other people on stage that touring alone sounds boring to him, so if he comes back he will have "friends", in one form or another. 

Mike Shinoda

Joe Hahn

Dan Mayo

Matt Harris

Jon Green

Phoenix

That's the lineup I wanna see.

On 6/11/2023 at 8:22 PM, LPsMart said:

I Don't think SOB is an option, the relationship seemed kinda messed up when Welcome was released.

I'd rather go see

Mike Shinoda

Joe Hahn

Rob Bourdon

Brad Delson

Phoenix

If only they're cooking something which is not the case at the moment. No update about new music whatsoever. For MS, he's active, working with Scream OST, etc. 

2 hours ago, SerioDrew said:

Well if can speculate, id guess they made contact with Mike about booking him and Mike was possibly open to it but didnt really know with who or how, cause its always either LP or SOB or Dan/Matt. So they keep it open as a possibility in case he makes up his mind and forms a lineup, or something like that. I think he is just used to always be with other people on stage that touring alone sounds boring to him, so if he comes back he will have "friends", in one form or another. 

I Don't think SOB is an option, the relationship seemed kinda messed up when Welcome was released.

15 minutes ago, RYG4R said:

Mike Shinoda

Joe Hahn

Dan Mayo

Matt Harris

Jon Green

Phoenix

That's the lineup I wanna see.

I'd rather go see

Mike Shinoda

Joe Hahn

Rob Bourdon

Brad Delson

Phoenix

13 hours ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

Maybe Mike performing LP songs with other famous guests?

Similar to what happened @ Hollywood Bowl

The " & friends" part is a really interesting hint.

My theory is that Slye already talked to Mike and asked for Linkin Park and the guys said no.

FROM the business point of view Mike Shinoda with some famous friends playing Linkin Park songs would attract more people than Mike w his almost unknown solo project.

I think you nailed it. The 2018/19 tour, like it or not was "limited" in terms of LP material. You know they can only play certain songs. But with more guest you open the door to have the a wider catalog. It will be cool to see... If it finally happens, of course 

I had hoped for "Linkin Park and friends" and this is pretty much the next best thing, assuming it's gonna be Mike playing a mix of his and LP songs with other artists. Bonus if any LP members join him

I wonder if any members, especially Brand and Rob given their absence from Meteora 20 appearances, may have mostly decided to hang their hat with LP. If they did, I imagine that's making it harder to pull off "LP and friends", but still not enough for Mike/Warner to want to put out any definitive words about LP

50 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

I had hoped for "Linkin Park and friends" and this is pretty much the next best thing, assuming it's gonna be Mike playing a mix of his and LP songs with other artists. Bonus if any LP members join him

I wonder if any members, especially Brand and Rob given their absence from Meteora 20 appearances, may have mostly decided to hang their hat with LP. If they did, I imagine that's making it harder to pull off "LP and friends", but still not enough for Mike/Warner to want to put out any definitive words about LP

Tbh i have the feeling that Rob is the only one who's definitley isn't coming back.

1 hour ago, GreyFox-AFCA said:

Tbh i have the feeling that Rob is the only one who's definitley isn't coming back.

From my perspective LP isn't come back yet primarly because of Rob feelings. But I may be wrong, mine it's just a suggestion

I keep thinking what are those guys doing on all of their "spare" time in the last 5 years.

Mike we all know, is busy still producing.

But what is Rob doing with his life? I mean, he can't only be surfing all day long 24/7. And Brad, we heard of him producing only 2 songs or something like that.

What are they doing in their lifes? 

14 minutes ago, vinifeijo said:

I keep thinking what are those guys doing on all of their "spare" time in the last 5 years.

Mike we all know, is busy still producing.

But what is Rob doing with his life? I mean, he can't only be surfing all day long 24/7. And Brad, we heard of him producing only 2 songs or something like that.

What are they doing in their lifes? 

We really know too little of their lifes, except for Mike

9 hours ago, DavideLP said:

We really know too little of their lifes, except for Mike

We only know what they're comfortable with sharing. You say "except Mike" but Mike himself is pretty guarded when it comes to his life outside of music. He was a guest on a podcast a few years back and, during a conversation about video games, he said he was uncomfortable saying how old his kids were. That's his prerogative for himself and his family.

With that said, Rob has always been the most private of all the band members. He will share what he wants when he wants, and in the meantime Mike and the others will continue to respect his privacy.

Edited by Justin

Whatever it is called or not called, Mike absolutely needs to play some shows. Still don't understand why he doesn't capitalize on all of these one-off singles he releases like fine, Happy Endings, In My Head, etc and play LA or NY. Literally just an LA venue if he wants to do something fun. He said he couldn't wait to get back on stage to play some of those tracks and yet here we are with 2023 halfway done and zero shows announced still. Surprised he didn't do a TV performance for one of them too.

But is it really that difficult to play one small headline solo show? He doesn't even need Dan and Matt.

2 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

Whatever it is called or not called, Mike absolutely needs to play some shows. Still don't understand why he doesn't capitalize on all of these one-off singles he releases like fine, Happy Endings, In My Head, etc and play LA or NY. Literally just an LA venue if he wants to do something fun. He said he couldn't wait to get back on stage to play some of those tracks and yet here we are with 2023 halfway done and zero shows announced still. Surprised he didn't do a TV performance for one of them too.

But is it really that difficult to play one small headline solo show? He doesn't even need Dan and Matt.

Agreed, it’s been since 2019 since he played a show… that’s what 5 years? It’s time. We need a Shinoda performance again! 

54 minutes ago, Elaine said:

All I'm saying is, it's a pretty good way to hide an LP reunion show if you need to mark out a slot way in advance without ruining promotional plans.

While a reunion show would be A+, I hope they wouldn't do it in secret since I am not a huge fan of surprise/hidden reunion shows. Give people the chance to get tickets to whatever festival/concert where it will happen and give them time to plan.

6 hours ago, Elaine said:

All I'm saying is, it's a pretty good way to hide an LP reunion show if you need to mark out a slot way in advance without ruining promotional plans.

If they were planning a secret comeback at a festival the info would be secret or they would use a random name like in the promo discs where they called themselves Little Pony or something like that haha

16 hours ago, Coizu said:

While a reunion show would be A+, I hope they wouldn't do it in secret since I am not a huge fan of surprise/hidden reunion shows. Give people the chance to get tickets to whatever festival/concert where it will happen and give them time to plan.

When I mention promotional plans I mean letting the band announce it on their own terms.

I'm not convinced this is what's happening, merely entertaining the possibility.