Mike & Mike's Rolling Stone Live Chat

hahninator

Mike from Incubus and Mike Shinoda did a live chat with Rolling Stone today. Here are a few of the many things that they mentioned today. These are the highlights:

Concerning the band:

- Living Things has a lot of rap on it.

- Fort Minor is not currently dead - Mike is just using the energy he'd put into that for the LP albums.

- LP management suggested hip hop beat makers and electronic producers for the band during the beginning of the Living Things recording sessions, but Mike decided LP does better when they create their own music.

- Remixes for Living Things that fans subscribed to will be electronic, hip hop, industrial and dubstep. They will continue until they run out of them.

- No art shows planned for Mike.

Concerning the live show:

- The band will play "1-2" new songs during the European Tour this summer, while a good portion of Living Things will be played starting with the Honda Civic Tour.

- Shinoda discussed one story where when they were rotating setlists and he got mixed up with 'One Step Closer' and 'In The End', so he was in the crowd getting them hyped up and looked back and the rest of the band was already off of the stage for the encore break.

- He said Phoenix smashes guitars well but talked about when Brad tried once (gingerly) and Chester had to take it from him and smash it instead.

- He mentioned Dave Grohl's thoughts on the band using backing tracks and vocal tracks during shows and called it "bullshit", saying they "have never done that".

Did anyone attend the chat?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HA that wasn't your question about Grohl was it Mark?

;)

But what Mike said was bullshit in reality...they use sampled vocals live and backing tracks for the A Thousand Suns songs...Mike knows that lol. Dave isn't a dumbass. He said that I think at Live 8 time though (2005) so he would be inaccurate then I think but now it's applicable. Foo basically doesn't use anything except what they have on stage; Dave likes "pure balls to the wall rock" lmao

- He mentioned Dave Grohl's thoughts on the band using backing tracks and vocal tracks during shows and called it "bullshit", saying they "have never done that".

I can honestly say this is the first time I can recall that Mike has blatantly lied in an interview/Q&A. They use prerecorded tracks for backing vocals on a TON of songs from ATS, along with a few instrumental parts as well. Their use of "several tracks of playback" has been confirmed in interviews with LP's production crew as well. Stay classy, Shinoda.

Edited by Astat

I asked them who was better at Halo LP or Incubus, because I know both bands used to play a lot. They talked about it for a bit but didn't say who was better :P I'm sure they'll have plenty of time to figure that out on tour though.

Guest Inky

LPA has much better descriptions of the chat, but hey. I think it's stupid to say ''Mike SAID FM is NOT DEAD''. Obviously it's dead. It's always going to be dead. I better anything there will never be another Fort Minor album. Mike has been saying that he is focusing the FM energy into LP music since the band started making MTM. 6 fucking years ago.

LPA has much better descriptions of the chat, but hey. I think it's stupid to say ''Mike SAID FM is NOT DEAD''. Obviously it's dead. It's always going to be dead. I better anything there will never be another Fort Minor album. Mike has been saying that he is focusing the FM energy into LP music since the band started making MTM. 6 fucking years ago.

same could be said of DBS to be fair - much as I would hate that - I think the side-project thing in LP is dead. LP now includes so much it's hard to see things existing alongside it :(

EDIT: Shinoda and Einziger = M&M

Edited by LGraham

Guest Inky

same could be said of DBS to be fair - much as I would hate that - I think the side-project thing in LP is dead. LP now includes so much it's hard to things existing alongside it :(

DBS isn't dead. Chester said he plans on recording more DBS music in the future. Mike never said he plans on recording more FM music. Plus, Chester is still good friends with Ryan and Amir and the rest of the guys. Mike is not even on talking terms with Tak, and neither is Ryu. SOB is no longer relevant at all. Ryu has done his fair share of talking shit about Mike and LP as well, even though he claims to be friends with Mike. Sure, Mike COULD do another FM album, but most definitely without Tak and it would not be the same. Also, OOA came out in 2009, FM came out in 2005. I don't think we will see a DBS or FM album again, but DBS is at least possible.

DBS isn't dead. Chester said he plans on recording more DBS music in the future. Mike never said he plans on recording more FM music. Plus, Chester is still good friends with Ryan and Amir and the rest of the guys. Mike is not even on talking terms with Tak, and neither is Ryu. SOB is no longer relevant at all. Ryu has done his fair share of talking shit about Mike and LP as well, even though he claims to be friends with Mike. Sure, Mike COULD do another FM album, but most definitely without Tak and it would not be the same. Also, OOA came out in 2009, FM came out in 2005. I don't think we will see a DBS or FM album again, but DBS is at least possible.

true man, friendships and chronology are different to both "groups". and hell, maybe chester will do some more stuff with the JK guys, while Mike seems pretty well established in film/tv soundtracks now.

but I can't see alot of DBS stuff getting the amount of *ahem* exposure that it previously had.

i say "*ahem*" becuase OOA was so awfully promoted...

I'd welcome new solo material form either. but in terms of DBS, i can only see that kind of thing going to a few CA shows and to germany where JK are more well known. shame but... :(

anyway, this thread for this discussion. LP GO! :lol:

does anyone remember the exact quote that mike said, word for word? or have a recording? i have a feeling this has been taken out of context.

Ryu has done his fair share of talking shit about Mike and LP as well, even though he claims to be friends with Mike.

source? i find this hard to believe since ryu was featured on the raid soundtrack, and was at the LPU screening event with mike and chester. he even attended the afterparty with mike after the screening. where's your proof?

Edited by parth196

does anyone remember the exact quote that mike said, word for word? or have a recording? i have a feeling this has been taken out of context. source? i find this hard to believe since ryu was featured on the raid soundtrack, and was at the LPU screening event with mike and chester. he even attended the afterparty with mike after the screening. where's your proof?

o.0 can you tell me what ryu said about mike and LP ?

can't personally tell you any quotes, but there's been some real bad blood between these two

Edited by LGraham

- Living Things has a lot of rap on it.

- Remixes for Living Things that fans subscribed to will be electronic, hip hop, industrial and dubstep. They will continue until they run out of them.

This completely destroyed my hype... I was really hoping for a MTM-driven sound...

More rap and dubstep remixes...

Guest Inky

This completely destroyed my hype... I was really hoping for a MTM-driven sound...

Same here, but as long as Chester screams and sings more than it's fine by me.

Ryu said some stuff a few years back, a lot of stuff, in like 2008/2009, he even did a song called ''I Did It To Myself'' and it disses LP in the verse. Maybe they don't have beef anymore, but still.

Agreed, I had gotten an M2M with electronic bass lines sound vibe from the earlier descriptions, but I'm really glad they didn't take that suggestion to have others produce their songs. Continues to show how original the band can be :D

It really kind of upsets me that Dave said that about LP. I have always been a huge fan of him and never realized he ever said that. But i also have to assume that when Mike called bullshit, he was referring to when Dave said it. If he said it back in 2005, I would have to assume he meant for that time. Dave obviously cant see into the future. also, I was the one who kept calling out minnesota when everyone was saying russia and other countries. mike made a comment about it lol!

It'd be a shame if this topic devolved into Dave Grohl bashing when the man is a legitimately fantastic musician. Have you listened to 90s Foo Fighters? Works of art. Sure he runs his mouth occasionally when a band doesn't do straight up alternative rock, but that's how the guy is, and it's not like he's a hypocrite, either. That video of Rope is an out of context example.

In any case, I am really looking forward to this album. Rap all over the place? LP goes country? This I have to hear.

Ryu said some stuff a few years back, a lot of stuff, in like 2008/2009, he even did a song called ''I Did It To Myself'' and it disses LP in the verse. Maybe they don't have beef anymore, but still.

don't think that's a diss, he was just talking about how LP couldn't help his situation, being on tour and all.

Posted Image

nope. truth. dave couldn't hit half the notes chester hits, or have half the power behind his voice. chester destroys him.

not to mention, dave is a terrible live vocalist. horrible tone and pitch is off many times, when chester has become one of the best over the years. sure, dave's got vocal power, but he can't touch chester's. take it from me. i was at the weenie roast last year and saw them both perform within the same ten minutes. chester's power blew me the fuck away up until the end of linkin park's 90 minute set, and i was cringing at dave's horrible tone for most of the foo fighters' set.

let's hear dave try to sing "new divide," "given up," or "the messenger." can't imagine that? that's 'cause it's not possible.

Edited by parth196