Mike & Mike's Rolling Stone Live Chat

hahninator

don't think that's a diss, he was just talking about how LP couldn't help his situation, being on tour and all.

nope. truth. dave couldn't hit half the notes chester hits, or have half the power behind his voice. chester destroys him.

not to mention, dave is a terrible live vocalist. horrible tone and pitch is off many times, when chester has become one of the best over the years. sure, dave's got vocal power, but he can't touch chester. take it from me. i was at the weenie roast last year and saw them both perform within the same ten minutes. chester's power blew me the fuck away up until the end of linkin park's 90 minute set, and i was cringing at dave's horrible tone for most of the foo fighters' set.

I don't think we should be comparing two completely different vocalists, really. Sure, Dave's voice is pretty rough and limited, but he can sing decently most of the time. They're from two completely different bands.

Not to mention that Dave is definitely the better all-around musician.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we should be comparing two completely different vocalists, really. Sure, Dave's voice is pretty rough and limited, but he can sing decently most of the time. They're from two completely different bands.

Not to mention that Dave is definitely the better all-around musician.

Exactly. These two sing completly different styles of rock music. I understand where dave comes from when he says stuff like that, but again that is just where he comes from and who he is. to say he is a horrible vocalist is stupid. the man can sing with the best and is an amazing song writer. any foo fighters album will show you that. that doesnt give him the right to rip a band like LP though who has done their own fair share of amazing things. sad that he cant recognize that.

LPA has much better descriptions of the chat, but hey. I think it's stupid to say ''Mike SAID FM is NOT DEAD''. Obviously it's dead. It's always going to be dead. I better anything there will never be another Fort Minor album. Mike has been saying that he is focusing the FM energy into LP music since the band started making MTM. 6 fucking years ago.

This. He doesn't want to disappoint anyone by full-out admitting it's over so he keeps putting it in a different way or different wording.

okay. to clear this up. i just saw the video of the chat. what dave thought was that linkin park plays to vocal backing tracks. which means either 1. essentially, lip-synching or 2. having the track play back through their in-ear monitors, and singing along with it.

linkin park occasionally sings OVER backing tracks, but never lip-synchs. and this is very rare. there's small parts of a few songs they even do this to. neither do they have the album track playing back through their in-ear monitors. there's a rip of mike's in-ear monitor from a show in 2004. no album track playing.

Edited by parth196

I can honestly say this is the first time I can recall that Mike has blatantly lied in an interview/Q&A. They use prerecorded tracks for backing vocals on a TON of songs from ATS, along with a few instrumental parts as well. Their use of "several tracks of playback" has been confirmed in interviews with LP's production crew as well. Stay classy, Shinoda.

Damn

I really think this Album could be there best next to ATS, Overall this album could have a lil bit of everything or everyone is happy, 15traks plus 8remixes & im sure there is going to be more so come the end of the year we will see about "30" Tracks alone from the Living Things Era.

IM STILL WAITING FOR MY DVD/CD COMBO FROM THE ATS ERA -.- I gave up so i took the full shows of "Live In Madird & Itunes & MSG" and im making an HD DVD/CD disc & thats my combo. :)

BTW Im sure were going to get new DBS/FM come 2014 one way or another!

Edited by XeroSkies%Emo360

I think this topic got a lot more out of hand than it need to be. First off, I honestly cannot say I know for a fact that LP uses backing vocal or instrumental tracks. I just know LP fans have their noses so far up their asses that I'm sure they tend to find out the truth haha. Second, I honestly could care less about what Dave has to say about other bands. He comes from a different era in music and a completely different style of writing music and performing. Thirdly, people need to stop comparing Chester and Dave's vocal styles and capabilities. Two very distinct and unique vocal approaches, and to compare the two is just stupid. Yes, Chester is a very powerful vocalist and has a wide vocal range on and off the stage, while Dave does not sound nearly as close to his studio recorded vocals. Does not come close to meaning that he is a shitty vocalist. He just has a different vocal range and style. He truly believes in the idea of going on stage, beating the shit out of their instruments, and putting on a good show as arguably the best frontman in the game, cause he arguably is. Finally, Dave also plays for an hour and fifteen minutes longer than LP live, at least, so people should hold their tongue and let Chester sing for that long and see what type of toll that takes on his vocal cords. People just need to accept the fact that not every musician shares the same opinion and sees eye-to-eye with everyone, and that both bands are one of the best to come out of alternative music so just let it go and enjoy them both. Or don't

I think this topic got a lot more out of hand than it need to be. First off, I honestly cannot say I know for a fact that LP uses backing vocal or instrumental tracks. I just know LP fans have their noses so far up their asses that I'm sure they tend to find out the truth haha. Second, I honestly could care less about what Dave has to say about other bands. He comes from a different era in music and a completely different style of writing music and performing. Thirdly, people need to stop comparing Chester and Dave's vocal styles and capabilities. Two very distinct and unique vocal approaches, and to compare the two is just stupid. Yes, Chester is a very powerful vocalist and has a wide vocal range on and off the stage, while Dave does not sound nearly as close to his studio recorded vocals. Does not come close to meaning that he is a shitty vocalist. He just has a different vocal range and style. He truly believes in the idea of going on stage, beating the shit out of their instruments, and putting on a good show as arguably the best frontman in the game, cause he arguably is. Finally, Dave also plays for an hour and fifteen minutes longer than LP live, at least, so people should hold their tongue and let Chester sing for that long and see what type of toll that takes on his vocal cords. People just need to accept the fact that not every musician shares the same opinion and sees eye-to-eye with everyone, and that both bands are one of the best to come out of alternative music so just let it go and enjoy them both. Or don't

Shit, if there was a like feature for posts on LPL...

Good post, very thoughtful.

PIPEBOMB *CM PUNK Voice*

btw NY Rangers > Flyers xD

Ah wow. I don't like how Dave said that statement. Just because he is in the Foo Fighters, doesn't give him the right to have a big head and say what defines rock music. Music is music and if Linkin Park use samples their music, who cares? Someones got to trigger them. Someones got to have the musical timing and talent to trigger them. It's still music, it's still an art. Dave needs to take a step out of his arse and realise that rock music isn't just drums, guitar, bass & vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zne4o7JNulU

After watching this, I'm 100% sure the beginning of Fallout has the studio vocals playing over it. Mike is indeed singing but his live vocals don't come in (aka aren't turned up) until halfway through. The beginning is for sure a prerecording played over the PA. Almost a lipsynch since his mic is turned down. No way the beginning of Fallout is live vocals though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zne4o7JNulU

After watching this, I'm 100% sure the beginning of Fallout has the studio vocals playing over it. Mike is indeed singing but his live vocals don't come in (aka aren't turned up) until halfway through. The beginning is for sure a prerecording played over the PA. Almost a lipsynch since his mic is turned down. No way the beginning of Fallout is live vocals though.

His singing is live throughout the whole song, the unprocessed sound just gets gradually brought up in the mix as the song progresses (at the beginning it's all vocoder, by the end it's about 50/50, kind of the reverse of what they did with MLK's speech on Wisdom, Justice, & Love). The same thing actually happens on the album version.

Ha! Typical New York fan. You should know better than anyone that nothing's guaranteed in the playoffs. Focus on getting out the 2nd round with Washington first before you talk shit

Seems like were doing just fine? How about them Devils? Who lets out 3-4goals in one period etc? Haha Good Luck cause your team should be doing the same!

NOW ON TOPIC: We just got a hell of alot of info from this Live Chat, LP has a better chance of playing Living Things Live in FULL then ATS (even though they should of done that the day of the release show) or for the ATH show in japan. Anyways im still hype that come the end of the year we should have about 20-30 tracks from the LT Era (Album,Remixs,Live Tracks,EPs,etc)

Edited by XeroSkies%Emo360

His singing is live throughout the whole song, the unprocessed sound just gets gradually brought up in the mix as the song progresses (at the beginning it's all vocoder, by the end it's about 50/50, kind of the reverse of what they did with MLK's speech on Wisdom, Justice, & Love). The same thing actually happens on the album version.

It really sounds to me like he's lipsynching at the beginning versus singing live. I know it's a vocoder effect (or supposed to look like it) but the effects on it match up too perfectly to the album version IMO. Thoughts?

It really sounds to me like he's lipsynching at the beginning versus singing live. I know it's a vocoder effect (or supposed to look like it) but the effects on it match up too perfectly to the album version IMO. Thoughts?

I agree that there's some type of vocal playback going on there, but if the only live part was just his regular vocal in the second half of the song, there'd be no reason for him to be using the vocoder mic as opposed to his regular one. He definitely sings Fallout using the same microphone he uses on the live version of The Radiance.

neither do they have the album track playing back through their in-ear monitors. there's a rip of mike's in-ear monitor from a show in 2004. no album track playing.

I think this is not a monitor mix, just a microphone feed, because that's all you hear.