TheHundreds.com: Living Things "In The Mix"

hahninator

A guy by the name of Bobby over at TheHundreds.com has posted a really informative, good read about "Living Things" when he visited NRG while it was being mixed. Read the full article here.

"Can you be mainstream and still be cool? It’s a question we are forced to ask ourselves at The Hundreds. Although we aren’t nearly a mainstream brand, we continue to grow and flourish, and one day we will stand at that crossroads. So, can you be mainstream and still be cool?

As I sit here with Mike in the very recording studio Linkin Park concocted their new album, Living Things, not only are my ears open to the music, but so are my eyes. I see the weathered instruments that have bled into this record, the sleepless nights stained across the piano keys and guitar strings, I see the scribbled lyric sheets splayed across the bookstand. As we talk about the record, I grow to understand not only what this band has done, but what they are doing. Ask any thirty-year-old about Linkin Park, and they’ll sweep them into the rap-rock abyss. But ask a teenager who Linkin Park is, and they’ll sing a different tune."

There are a good number of high quality pictures from inside the studio too. Check it!

Thoughts?

The article was pretty informative, but I'm not a fan of the writing style, particularly how pretentious the opening paragraphs are. I guess if you're a regular reader it makes sense, but for someone who's going to read about a band they really like, that's an awful way to open your article. "Yeah this band used to be on my bullshit radar but then I pulled my head out of my ass." Good job.

But this article did make me somewhat more excited to hear the album.

So apparently the first two songs sound most like Hybrid Theory...

IT MUST BE NU METULLZ

Not a bad thing. Would you rather have the first two songs sound like the verses to Iridescent or the verses to BITS? Not me. Tribal drums, Screaming vocals, Mike rapping (Lost In The Echo) sounds more awesome.

I didn't think it was poorly written.

It's just the tone of the article that pisses me off, like the author thinks he's the sole judge of what's "cool" and what's not. When you're writing about something that you don't usually write about and therefore you know is going to attract a different crowd (like this article), it's best to keep it more neutral than how the article actually sounds.

This guy should get his ears checked though. Every single thing LP has done has been significantly popular and amazing, all the way from the Xero tape up until the Burn It Down single.

This guy should get his ears checked though. Every single thing LP has done has been significantly popular and amazing, all the way from the Xero tape up until the Burn It Down single.

Well it's his article,so his personal opinions.And actually I prefer pre-LT reviews to be written by not die hard LP fans...

Well it's his article,so his personal opinions.And actually I prefer pre-LT reviews to be written by not die hard LP fans...

I somewhat agree...I just don't think LP should have been on his ''bullshit radar'', considering the success of Hybrid Theory at least. It's fine if he didn't like Meteora, Minutes or A Thousand Suns, but you can't ignore the fact that Hybrid Theory was huge, and arguably still is.

It's just the tone of the article that pisses me off, like the author thinks he's the sole judge of what's "cool" and what's not. When you're writing about something that you don't usually write about and therefore you know is going to attract a different crowd (like this article), it's best to keep it more neutral than how the article actually sounds.

I think the author was trying to show that Linkin Park is "still cool" despite how long they've been around.

I somewhat agree...I just don't think LP should have been on his ''bullshit radar'', considering the success of Hybrid Theory at least. It's fine if he didn't like Meteora, Minutes or A Thousand Suns, but you can't ignore the fact that Hybrid Theory was huge, and arguably still is.

It's easy to see what he means though. He thought of them as mainstream and therefore immediately rejected them. It's a common logic among kids who listen to punk rock/ underground music.

So the guy that is mixing LIVING THINGS just mixed Justin Bieber's "Boyfriend"...

Not a good start...

He also mixed the first four Kanye West albums, has mixed for 2Pac, Maroon 5, Mariah Carey and many other big name/good artists. He has an incredible history and has won four grammys so I don't see anything wrong with using him.