ATS has been out for a while now, What are your thoughts on it now?

Bliss

well for me, when it came out i loved it. it was a good cd. but now i don't like it as much, it lost replayability and it doesn't give me the same feeling other LP albums do, even MTM. I used to think Meteora>ATS>HT>MTM but now i think Meteora>HT>MTM>ATS

what are your opinions on ATS now that has been released for a while?

Edited by Bliss

Its been out for almost a whole year and I'm still listening to it. I can barely even listen to the other albums anymore, and when I do, I never listen to the whole thing, its only just 1 or 2 songs at a time. I still can't stand "songs" like Numb, and Hit the Floor. I actually tried listening to those 2 the other day and I couldn't do even get passed the first choruses. So I guess for me its ATS>>>>>>MtM>HT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Meteora.

To be honest, I haven't listened to it much recently and I think the sound to me isn't as fresh as it used to be.

I do still thoroughly enjoy the album, but if Linkin Park want to polarize me, they'll need to do something new. :P

ATS is my least favorite LP album....I don't want to piss anyone off with this post because I know a good majority of LP fans love this album, but here it goes. When I first heard the vocal clip and the other clips for The Catalyst for the remix contest in July of 2010, I didn't really like it at all. When The Catalyst came out as a single, I bought it, and I liked it, but it wasn't amazing in my eyes. Next I heard Wretches when it leaked online, and I LOVED it. I thought it was amazing. I next heard clips for Waiting For The End and Burning In The Skies, and I didn't like WTFE but I liked BITS a lot. Next, the album leaked, I listened to it a lot, went to the ATS release concert, I liked the album, my favorites were BITS, Blackout and Wretches. Then in 2011, I saw LP in Boston and NYC for the ATS tour and they were cool shows. To this day, I don't listen to ATS really at all, I listen to MTM a lot and some old LP music. MTM will always be my favorite LP album I think, I don't know why I love it so much to be honest. Occasionally I will play some ATS stuff, but hardly ever. The main reason I didn't like the album was because Mike did WAY too many vocals for my liking...He was on almost every single song vocally except ONE. I like Chester's voice way more and I think it kind of ruined the emotion in some of the tracks, like BITS especially. I don't really like how their isn't loud guitars but they were replaced with loud heavy beats, not really my thing. The lyrics were cool, but I would have preferred if the whole album was more of a concept album dealing with the end of the world. The Requiem, The Radiance and BITS makes me think of the end of the world but then you listen to other tracks and they have nothing to do with that. I think they could have done better, if not rushed.

Well, even though it's still my favorite Linkin Park record, I definitely don't think it's as flawless as I first thought. In my opinion, there are several tracks which don't really fit the album, and as good as they are, they should've been b-sides or something. The thing I dislike most about ATS is the swearing - it's so damn unnecessary in WTCFM and Blackout, it's really annoying imo. This album set the bar very high, though, so they have to do a lot not to disappoint me with the next album. No matter what the style is, and I'm sure it's going to be fucking different, I'd like to see them developing the progressive direction they took in some songs (The Catalyst, Waiting for the End) and, hopefully, release more actual music.

I could of sworn there was another thread like this posted about a month or two ago....but anyway.

I still listen to ATS on a regular bases. This album never dies out for me. Its like my exact genre, my style, its the music I like hearing. I honestly cant help myself to sing along even if its in the car, on a tv ad, its a must.

Honestly no other album has been played as much as this one.

I could of sworn there was another thread like this posted about a month or two ago....but anyway.

Yeah, i thought so too.

Last time i listened through the full album was about 4 weeks ago, still great. i listen to other songs occasionally.. but ive been busy listening to Audio books these days and dont have time.

After first listening this album my opinion about album was such: good album, variety of tracks are present, ie every song sounds differently.

After the first listen, I identified for themselves the worst and the best track on the album.

- and so, the best track was Burning in the skies, and the worst When They Come For Me.

Now I have changed my opinion:

- best track Blackout

- worst track, i cant define. all songs on the ATS sounds differently. Based on the first listening the whole album ATS I'll not change my choice. the worst track on the ATS as before is When the come for me.

With specific regard to this topic:

Of course A thousand began to sound even better. And I consider it's a great album. Prior to the release A Thousand Suns on the every album LP were their HIT songs and just worst songs. When the was release ATS and when I listen this album I can't determined where is the best song and where is the worst song. All songs on the ATS sound specifically and differently.

- But still for me Blackout the best track. and the worst WTCFM.

my chain: Meteora > Hybrid Theory > A Thousand Suns > Minutes to midnight

Edited by Sucre06

When ATS came out, I immediately decided that it was the greatest thing in music history and that it would be my favourite album for the rest of my life.

Nearly a year later, my opinion is rather different.

On reflection, I can say this. Very few of the songs on ATS are as good as on Hybrid Theory or Meteora. Iridescent is an exception, and Waiting for the End and Blackout come close. But, in terms of strong songwriting and X-factor brilliance, nothing much on ATS comes close to their old anthems.

However, A Thousand Suns IS my favourite LP album to listen to all the way through. The first two albums are collections of brilliant songs, which, when taken independently, still stand equally strong. The real magic of ATS is the fact that it is far greater than the sum of its parts. Listening to it is an experience, an otherworldly voyage of sound that transcends that of other albums. Though none of its tracks (bar Iridescent) are masterpieces when taken out of the album, when fit together into the jigsaw of A Thousand Suns, the pieces gain new meaning and strength.

Overall, I would choose Hybrid Theory as the band's best album, based on the sheer quality of EVERY song on that album. A Thousand Suns is not flawless (it takes too long to get into the first actual song, the mixing is brilliant, The Messenger is a weak closer), but it is a magnificent piece of art when taken in it's glorious whole. And if I had to do a ranking, it would be-

Hybrid Theory > A Thousand Suns ≈ Meteora > Minutes to Midnight

Edited by Ducko

I still listen to ATS on a regular bases. This album never dies out for me. Its like my exact genre, my style, its the music I like hearing. I honestly cant help myself to sing along even if its in the car, on a tv ad, its a must.

Honestly no other album has been played as much as this one.

This. A Thousand Suns still puts everything else Linkin Park has done to shame. It's their most complete, creative work of art yet.

HOWEVER, I recently went back and listened to Minutes To Midnight a bit, and I might be willing to concede that MTM has better lyrics than A Thousand Suns.

Edited by Xero21

Best LP album hands down. As said numerous times before, I love Mike's voice and the harmonies in ATS. Although I really don't think Wretches and Kings fits in very well, the rest of the album destroys pre-MTM LP. I haven't even listened to anything from HT or Meteora since ATS came out.

Pretty much: ATS>MTM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Meteora

Just as many people have stated above me, I used to think it was the greatest thing ever. I thought it was perfect. A year later, I think it's rather incomplete.

Linkin Park proved that they can be creative and different. They proved that they can be as different from their old stuff as they ever were (Iridescent, The Catalyst), yet at the same time can make a track that is more than welcome on Meteora (Wretches And Kings). This album was about proving to everyone that they can make whatever they wanted to.

While this sounds pretty good, in some cases isn't. There are several songs on the album where it feels Rob is completely absent. There is alot of electronic drum work on this album that is really boring. For example, Rob really shines on this album, when he gets the chance to. His percussion work was excellent, and his drumming at the end of Iridescent and The Catalyst was amazing. Why couldn't that talent be used in several other songs? There is about 9 tracks and 3 full length songs where he isn't present at all (The Requiem, The Radiance, Empty Spaces, Jornada Del Muerto, most of Blackout, Wretches And Kings, Wisdom Justice and Love, Fallout, The Messenger).

Another problem with this album is the overhaul of interlude tracks. Empty Spaces isn't needed at all to be honest, it feels like Mike was throwing together some loops and used a portion of Brad's megaphone speech. As bad ass as Jornada Del Muerto is, I don't feel it serves a purpose in the overall concept of the album. If there was 11-12 full songs on the album, I would be really impressed. Some interludes just don't impress me and look overall lazy.

In September 2010 I would've given this album a 10/10. Now I would give it an 8/10. As good as it turned out, I knew it could've been better. It could've been much more.

Top songs: The Catalyst, Iridescent

Edit: I consider New Divide to be one of their best songs. They really were creative on that one. The keyboards were dark and beautiful, the lyrics were filled with imagery, and the electronic glitch breakdown and bridge were so epic, I couldn't take waiting for another album. I was disappointed to see that The Catalyst was the only track that felt more electronic, but at the same time like an emotional rock anthem.

Edited by NickDuffy

at first I didn't like it, but more I just consider it standard LP. I will always like everything LP does on an equal level. I've heard every song (that they have released), every demo, every thing that LP has to offer and I just consider them overall brilliant.

I like and dislike ATS for the same reason. You need to listen to the ALBUM. You can't just single out a song (although I consider Iridescent and Blackout exceptions). And while the transitions are cool, I kinda just find them an excuse to not have more songs.

Honestly I think ATS has 9 single tracks, and as an album has 14 tracks. Wait, why did I say 14, you ask?

THE MESSANGER DOESN'T FIT AT ALL. It seems like it was just slapped on last minute and could even work as a hidden track, but not a finale. I think The Catalyst is a decent finale, considering its "that song" that everyone heard back when it was released.

Its a beautiful album as a full listen. Not so beautiful when you want full single songs.

I like and dislike ATS for the same reason. You need to listen to the ALBUM. You can't just single out a song (although I consider Iridescent and Blackout exceptions). And while the transitions are cool, I kinda just find them an excuse to not have more songs.

I think When They Come For Me and Wretches And kings also fit in that "you can pick these out and play them" category.

to me all the songs need to be picked out and played seperately, i cannot play the whole album through. But also by what you guys are saying, id say WFTE is like the only song that can fit in the category of being played alone.

What i said was kinda confusing so i will say this: whenever i listen to ATS (like never anymore) i skip all the interludes but empty spaces

Edited by Bliss

I'll never forget that fucking dumbass who got to listen to the album first and told everyone that Blackout was the worst LP song of all time. Can't remember her name, but it was some chick.

You, my friend, are still a dumbass.

My opinion of a better ATS would be:

1. The Radiance

2. Burning in the Skies

3. Empty Spaces

4. When They Come For Me

5. Pretend to Be

6. New Song here

7. I Have Not Begun

8. Jornada Del Muerto

9. Waiting For the End

10. Blackout

11. Wretches and Kings

12. Iridescent

13. New Song here

14. The Catalyst

15. The Messenger

16. Blackbirds (bonus track on deluxe edition)

This way you have a 15 track album standard edition with 12 full tracks so it feels like an album, instead of 15 tracks with only 9 full songs (and one of them completely awful)

1. The Radiance

2. Burning in the Skies

3. Empty Spaces

4. When They Come For Me

5. Pretend to Be

6. New Song here

7. I Have Not Begun

8. Jornada Del Muerto

9. Waiting For the End

10. Blackout

11. Wretches and Kings

12. Iridescent

13. New Song here

14. The Catalyst

15. The Messenger

This way you have a 15 track album standard edition with 12 full tracks so it feels like an album, instead of 15 tracks with only 9 full songs (and one of them completely awful)

No Robot Boy? Seriously? You pick Pretend To Be over one of the most powerful songs LP has ever written? When was the last time you listened to the synth solo part? God damn...

Well when I 1st listened to ATS, I really wasn't too keen on it, It was something completely different to even Minutes to Midnight. After a few listens I realized the beauty of this album and the pattern it follows within itself, as It is metaphorical to me and I can relate to most songs on the Album. Nearly a year later I still listen to it a lot and is now my favorite LP album.

I'll never forget that fucking dumbass who got to listen to the album first and told everyone that Blackout was the worst LP song of all time. Can't remember her name, but it was some chick.

Her name is Ana.

I still think that ATS is their best record ever and only a new material can change my opinion.

Haha the thing is I liked Ana. She did a good job of describing each track I guess. But her judgment/opinion on certain tracks was misleading xD Though saying that, I remember her describing WTCFM and saying that it had an insanely heavy guitar riff - heaviest brads ever done. Then I heard it for myself: It was just a distorted synth xD

1. The Radiance

2. Burning in the Skies

3. Empty Spaces

4. When They Come For Me

5. Pretend to Be

6. New Song here

7. I Have Not Begun

8. Jornada Del Muerto

9. Waiting For the End

10. Blackout

11. Wretches and Kings

12. Iridescent

13. New Song here

14. The Catalyst

15. The Messenger

Well for starters, Prented to be would look totally out of place on ATS. it has a rawer/stripped down feel that would have been much more suited to MTM.

No Robot Boy? Seriously? You pick Pretend To Be over one of the most powerful songs LP has ever written? When was the last time you listened to the synth solo part? God damn...

Yep, RB is very underrated. Not my favorite mind you, But still a great song. and yes, that synth solo is indeed epic.

01. Ana was freaked out about the song. It was so hard to take in for her, but since then she changed her opinion of the song and it is one of her favorites.

02. I like the newer tracklist, but The Requiem and Robot Boy should've been kept in.

03. Just because someone doesn't like Robot Boy everybody goes nuts. I like it, but it is rather bland.

04. I was too lazy to quote everyone so I made this list.

Here would've been my tracklist:

01. The Requiem

02. The Radiance

03. Burning In The Skies

04. (new song here)

05. When They Come For Me

06. Robot Boy

07. Jornada Del Muerto

08. Waiting For The End

09. Wretches And Kings

10. Blackout

11. Wisdom, Justice, and Love

12. Iridescent

13. (new song here)

14. The Catalyst

15. The Messenger

Edited by NickDuffy

No Robot Boy? Seriously? You pick Pretend To Be over one of the most powerful songs LP has ever written? When was the last time you listened to the synth solo part?

i just don't like Robot Boy. Worst or 2nd Worst song LP has ever done, probably worst. i just don't like it. But i would take robot boy over interludes....

01. Ana was freaked out about the song. It was so hard to take in for her, but since then she changed her opinion of the song and it is one of her favorites.

02. I like the newer tracklist, but The Requiem and Robot Boy should've been kept in.

03. Just because someone doesn't like Robot Boy everybody goes nuts. I like it, but it is rather bland.

04. I was too lazy to quote everyone so I made this list.

thanls about the tracklist. I was thinking to keep requim in but id rather more ful songs, ii doubt lp would ever release an album with more than 15 songs so requim would make it to high. I for one didn't like robot boy. Also your tracklist was good, i just feel even with 2 new songs the amount of actaul songs could be more IMO. I wouldn't mind keeping all the interludes in the cd as long as it was like a 20 track album with a good amount of full songs Edited by Bliss