The Catalyst - what do you think?

tschenneck

Pros:

-The stereo separation on this track is AWESOME. If you haven't listened to this song in headphones yet, you really haven't heard the best of it.

-Joe has a presence in this song, and I like how his scratching is one of the first things that comes in during the intro. It's kind of like it serves as a reminder to everybody "hey, I'm still here!"

-The guitar. While it's nothing special on its own, the previews (even the MOH trailer) had me worried there would be a huge absence of guitar on this track. There's actually a good deal of it from the second verse onwards, it's just kind of low in the mix.

-The ending. I think they outdid TLTGYA in terms of epic song endings with tons of vocal layers on this one. Rob's drumming at the end is also killer (did anyone else notice they changed it a bit? The drums are different on the stems from the remix contest).

Cons:

- The mixing. Neal Avron did a great job on MTM, and most of this track sounds great as well, but the ending gets kind of muddy. I know there's a TON of layers going on at the end of this song and it was probably a nightmare to mix, but a little more breathing room wouldn't hurt. As it is, everything kind of blurs together at the end.

- The techno-ish beat that runs through the first 2/3rds of the song is the only part that hasn't grown on me, I haven't liked it since the stems for the remix contest came out. It does help set the outro apart when it drops out, but I think it takes the first part of the song in a direction that falls into the category of "music I can appreciate, but don't particularly care for." If there were more guitars or something on top of it, it wouldn't bother me, but as exposed as it is (with the first part of the song being totally beat/synth-driven), I can't say I'm a fan of it.

I give LP a 10/10 for creativity/ambition, but about a 7/10 in terms of how much I actually like the song.

They said in one of thoes 'making of vids' that they basically used instruments and sounds that weren't expected in a Linkin Park song. And that's what makes this sound good. Between the seamless fading of Chester and Mike (which before it was a clear distinction of the two) to the insane synths, the upbeat poppy drum play. no clear focus on the separation of chorus and verses. the flange lol.

The thing is it's a sound you can't mimic. No matter what I could never had made this track. I could probably make any song off any of their other albums, but I wouldn't have been able to think of a soundscape like this.

so yea with that being said it's garbage.

jk i love it lol it's gucci

Pros: Fucking top track. Vocals and everything. The whole new style makes me jizz. Being able to hear both Joe and Phoenix is tops. Phoneix's bass tone is really raw and i like it. The guitar is there and has a pretty good tone but is yet to grow on me

Cons: Is a little repetitive and doesnt seems like it was mixed well IMO.

The Catalyst has grown on me A LOT since I first listened to the whole track yesterday. After making a quick playlist of What I've Done and New Divide and then The Catalyst, it really shows the beautiful evolution of the sound they've created. The only downfall I see is the repetitive lyrics, but the instruments more than make up for it, and the ending is freaking unbelievable!

Trying so hard to like it, I keep playing it but argghh....

It would have been an epic song had you replaced the Fisher price My first Synth with some guitars. The synth is god damn awful. It ruins an epic song, this is not rock.

This has all the makings off a classic LP song, the type of thing i was expecting from the band, until they decided to try and not sound like themselves, which is what they are good at. I think it would have been one of my favorite songs if the middle was full of guitars, how can you rock out to something that sounds like this!?

PROS: I really like this song, but for some reason, I can't get into as much as I did with SIB or WID when they were released. I like Chester's vocal a lot, especially at the ending of the song when he sings that last note because the vocal is so strong, it gives me goosebumps sometimes. I do like the techno beat that kicks in past the first verse and chorus.

CONS: I can't get into as much as WID or SIB when they came out. I wish there was a little more guitar, or at least have the guitar that's in the song mixed a little louder. I guess the major con for me is that it doesn't seem that is was mixed as good as it could have been.

Lol i have two versions. a shortened 3min version and the 5min one. Loving the new direction of the music, and the vocals from both chester and mike. i dont really see The Catalyst as a single for charts though. It just wasnt made for that shit lol

First: Where the hell did you get the radio edit version or whatever. Ive been looking for it since i saw the Lyric Video

Second: Nice Commodore in your pic. Yours? VR or VS?

ALSO

I think Mike should make his mind up weather to Lift him up or Let him Go. Even Chester in on it :(