Mike Talks New Album

ThePretender

I don't take the half way done question seriously. When Mike was making comments that the album would be out early 2010 a while back, that means they were barely done yet correct? Yet he still had the confidence to make that statement. On top of that, they've narrowed it down to a handful of demos, i think there just in the studio ironing out lyrics and recording vocals really. Also, record labels set deadlines for artists to put out an album so they can start a marketing cycle for the project. i hate how fans just think LP will release an album whenever they feel like it, it's not always that.

At the same time Chester touring with Dead by Sunrise for January and possibly February worries me.

Nothing new. Half way done. He said a month ago they had "5 completed" songs or about to be complete.

I have completely stopped guessing when this record will come out.

so what?they've been fooling around for that month?

I dont think so...even Chester wasnt touring the past month...I believe they're more than halfway through..i think they've written music,instrumentals and stuff,and maybe they're on vocals now..

i hate how fans just think LP will release an album whenever they feel like it, it's not always that.

Yeah, the record companies are also on my nerves with those greatest hits CDs. You know, the ones that have all the old stuff with one or two new songs so you have to buy the GH album?

About the interview - maybe something will be out next year. And aren't they trying to put together a PR '10? It'd be nice to have some new material, I'm guessing...and hoping.

I'm not too surprised to see Mike take the high road with the question about Chester and DBS.

Edited by auburntiger

Re: "Halfway done"

Being halfway done working on a record and being at the halfway point of the process of making said record time-wise are two entirely different things. As you get farther into the process, everything moves faster, because you have fewer songs to work with and your ideas of what to do with the songs that are still in the mix become more finalized.

Mike said Minutes to Midnight was "halfway done" in August of 2006. However, the recording process lasted from February of 2006 to January of 2007, meaning that they were "halfway done" with the album when they were 60% of the way through the recording process, and that doesn't even include the pre-production/writing phase that they were in prior to February of 2006.

I would be absolutely SHOCKED if the album isn't out next year.

Also, record labels set deadlines for artists to put out an album so they can start a marketing cycle for the project. i hate how fans just think LP will release an album whenever they feel like it, it's not always that.

Warner doesn't tell LP when they have to have an album out. LP releases a record whenever they want, there is no label deadline for them. Of course, if LP took 5-6 years to release a project/CD I'm sure Warner would say some shit but I mean they don't tell LP you have to have an album out this year or next year...it's all on LP's plate to a certain (and big) extent.

Warner doesn't tell LP when they have to have an album out. LP releases a record whenever they want, there is no label deadline for them. Of course, if LP took 5-6 years to release a project/CD I'm sure Warner would say some shit but I mean they don't tell LP you have to have an album out this year or next year...it's all on LP's plate to a certain (and big) extent.

There aren't really "deadlines" per se, but labels do put upcoming releases by their artists on a tentative schedule way ahead of time so they at least have an idea of their overall marketing strategy for the future, what albums to give the biggest push to and when, things of that nature. They certainly pressure their artists to submit new material by a certain date, but the bottom line is, you can't just force somebody to put something out at a certain date if they don't have anything ready yet. This is a big part of why the turnaround time for a lot of albums is so slow - Minutes to Midnight was pretty much finished by January of '07, but wasn't released until May, because it took Warner that long to get all their marketing strategies straightened out.

I'm sure there's a Warner marketing sheet somewhere that lists upcoming releases and probably has something like "Linkin Park - TBA 2Q 2010" which tentatively means the album should be out in the second quarter (this is just a guess on my part), but that can always be changed if things get pushed back.

Tell us about the new album.

Well, Rick Rubin is producing it.

I knew that before but it doesn't please me at all.

Did Chester's going off and working with [solo project] Dead By Sunrise have any residual affect on how he's now contributing to Linkin Park?

That's a good question. I related to where Chester was at when he was making the Dead By Sunrise record. I went through the same thing with [shinoda's side-project] Fort Minor. He had songs that he had to get out of his system; songs that the rest of the guys in Linkin Park couldn't necessarily get behind. Not because they wouldn't like them, but because they aren't right for a Linkin Park record. I think for both of us, working outside the band made us feel like we could focus better when we eventually came back.

Way to destroy all the bitching of Chester delaying the LP album with DBS, which is complete bullshit IMO. And also think about the fact that if it hadn't been for Mike, DBS wouldn't have played their 3-song-set in the summer shows of LP. This also really shows that Mike supports DBS, and I don't think he would have supported the project in this certain time frame if he knew it would really have a negative effect on the work on the new LP album... or even delay it.

Edited by immortalsoul