Interview with Mike Shinoda, New album info

Nameless

Shockya.com got an interview with Mike Shinoda and there are two interesting infos about the next album:

Q. What kind of growth can fans expect to hear and what style will this album be?,(i.e. more melodic, heavier.)

Mike: All I want to do is make an album full of stuff that doesn’t suck. Twelve to fourteen tracks of anti-suck.

Q. Are you planning on collaborating with anyone on this album?

Mike: We never really collaborate on any of our proper studio albums; I don’t see this as being an exception at this point.

And another interview with Artistdirect.com:

Q: "New Divide" feels like another big evolution for Linkin Park, but at the same time it preserves everything that makes you so unique. Would you say it's indicative of the band's direction on the next album?

Mike: I don't think so. It's got it's own thing going on—kind of like a little sonic island in between albums.

Thoughts?

Edited by AndOne

The way he worded that is slightly worrying. Sounds like he doesn't care about what he makes, as long as it doesn't suck.

Obviously it's not like that, but Mike should try and give us something a little more insightful.

The way he worded that is slightly worrying. Sounds like he doesn't care about what he makes, as long as it doesn't suck.

Obviously it's not like that, but Mike should try and give us something a little more insightful.

I have no problem with Mike not caring about the type of music he makes.

He cares about making good music, that's what every great musician should worry about first and foremost. Though he was probably just giving a silly answer for an interview.

I have no problem with Mike not caring about the type of music he makes.

He cares about making good music, that's what every great musician should worry about first and foremost. Though he was probably just giving a silly answer for an interview.

I find the quote interesting but I don't put much stock in the "twelve-to-fourteen" tracks. I'm sure it will be the same as MTM, twelve tracks on the record, with a probable intro like Wake, and a B-side that comes along like No Roads Left did. I don't see 14 tracks on an LP record.

As far as the "anti-suck" comment goes, I find that very interesting. And good. I'd really like to know what Mike thinks "sucks" in the LP repertoire. That would be quite interesting. But the fact that he didn't answer the question, still keeps up in the air whether this will be a melodic, heavy, or a mix (likely) album.

you dont like reanimation LOL :)

I love Reanimation, I just prefer shorter albums. Plus that was a remix album and Hybrid Theory had 12 songs plus they put some other shit on there. If you don't count all the little interludes the album should really have 15 tracks because it has remixes of High Voltage, My December and X-Ecutioner Style

Just a tip for the newbies

I've been following LP since the 2001, and they always lie when they give you a description of a new album, dont trust them, you will get so excited and they will let you down lol

Not always. He didn't lie about New Divide's sound when he said there would be heavy synth. He also said LPU 9 would be unique from the others and it was. and lets not forget that he said MTM wouldn't be Nu Metal. The only time when ppl are let down is when they missinterpret what they say, like when Mike said LPU 9 would be unique, alot of ppl thought "YAY THEY'RE PUTTING DEMOS ON THE ALBUM!!!" and then they were saying how they were dissappointed and how Mike lied even though he didn't.

I've been following LP since the 2001, and they always lie when they give you a description of a new album, dont trust them, you will get so excited and they will let you down lol

Yep, I have to agree with you...

They always disappointing me since the 2007...

New Divide video is disappointing too... It's just a bunch of effects... :(

Not always. He didn't lie about New Divide's sound when he said there would be heavy synth. He also said LPU 9 would be unique from the others and it was. and lets not forget that he said MTM wouldn't be Nu Metal. The only time when ppl are let down is when they missinterpret what they say, like when Mike said LPU 9 would be unique, alot of ppl thought "YAY THEY'RE PUTTING DEMOS ON THE ALBUM!!!" and then they were saying how they were dissappointed and how Mike lied even though he didn't.

you mean LPU 8.

LPU 9 starts at the end of this year....

If a song suck is in the eye of the beholder. The one would say it sucks the other says it's great.....That wasn't a good answer from Mike. Seems like he don't want to talk about it-...

"New Divide," their contribution to Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is an epic orchestration of soaring guitars, entrancing electronics and an undeniable hook. Just like a transformer, it beckons a closer look.

For you, Astat. ;)

I wouldn't say they always lie. I think they just kinda feel like interviews are silly.

And what are you saying, the next LP album is gonna suck? :P

I think you are overreacting when you're saying this is bad news. Wait and see. Mike has learned that shouldn't get our hopes too high, that's why he's saying it liket that.

And I don't think lie is a very appropriate word for what they've been saying in interviews over the last decade. Believe me, I've been following them all the way too, and I have gotten dissapointed myself. But they've always told what they believed was the truth (release dates and delays for instance), so they've never been lying.

And Astat, I think he is just pointing out their mistake, because you've been saying (which is true) that there is only one guitar in the mix and not a orchestration.

LPU8? they lied, somehow

they said unique

and they knew what we want

to me LPU8 was like a big ''fuck you! we are messing with you!!!''

They always dissapoint me, they always find a way

I always get angry at something, I have never really understood why they released LIT

when they had their own tour to release something really special

or the last letdown: RTR ''we have special extras for you''

and what we've got: a dvd of 18 tracks with 3 ''SPECIAL'' tracks at the end of the credits

that just fucked up the whole show, it doesnt gives you the real feeling of that concert

whatever im just going to stop writing or i will get angry and i will destroy my computer

lol XD

LPU8? they lied, somehow

they said unique

I always get angry at something, I have never really understood why they released LIT

and what we've got: a dvd of 18 tracks with 3 ''SPECIAL'' tracks at the end of the credits

that just fucked up the whole show, it doesnt gives you the real feeling of that concert

whatever im just going to stop writing or i will get angry and i will destroy my computer

lol XD

I don't understand why you're here then.

There are some people on here just like you, and I'm not saying you're bad for not liking things the band does, but why are you here?

There are some people on here just like you, and I'm not saying you're bad for not liking things the band does, but why are you here?

It doesn't make us any less of a fan, we have a right to be disappointed and stress our frustrations on band forums. I agree with the poster above on having frustrations over those things but I've moved on and am hoping for a legit lpu 9 cd and a full album cd next year because we are still fans.

You dont have to agree about EVERYTHING to love something, its like having a girlfriend, you love her but you still hate some little details about her haha

I love the band man

I love their music, i love Chester's vocals

I love almost everything that they do

they were the first band that i liked since the 2001, and they are my favorite band to date

LP is in my blood

I just don't like the way they release their music, they've been around as linkin park since the 2000 and they only have 3 albums. John Frusciante has 10 solo records and 3 EP's in 10 years (plus he's member of RHCP and Mars Volta) it must be Warners problem. but i dont hate warner, they have supported the band a lot and they are in the top because of us and warner.

LPU8? they lied, somehow

they said unique

lol XD

They said LPU8 would be unique, and it WAS unique. They said RTR would have extras, and regardless of how lame the 3 tracks at the end was, they still are, by definition, "extras." They didn't lie a single time about either of those products, end of discussion.

to go along with astat here,

i've learned in life, that assuming will almost screw you up 99.9% of the time *dam girls :(*

So you all ASSUMED you would get demos. how did lp screw you by releasing stuff that they have NEVER released before? All music prior that was released by them, was serious music. You all expect way to much out of LP.

and astat, he was referring to how you say (and you're correct) how there is only one guitar part and the rest synths, bass etc. and that that quote says "guitarS" in it

to go along with astat here,

i've learned in life, that assuming will almost screw you up 99.9% of the time *dam girls :(*

So you all ASSUMED you would get demos. how did lp screw you by releasing stuff that they have NEVER released before? All music prior that was released by them, was serious music. You all expect way to much out of LP.

and astat, he was referring to how you say (and you're correct) how there is only one guitar part and the rest synths, bass etc. and that that quote says "guitarS" in it

I haven't seen many reviews of songs that refer to the guitar track in a singular form, regardless of how many individual parts are in the song. Plus any professionally-recorded song with distorted guitar parts has more than one guitar playing on the track due to doubling and whatnot. There are at least 3 guitars playing on the studio version of New Divide even though there's only one part.

If there was more than one part, somebody other than Brad would be playing guitar in the video.

It doesn't make us any less of a fan, we have a right to be disappointed and stress our frustrations on band forums. I agree with the poster above on having frustrations over those things but I've moved on and am hoping for a legit lpu 9 cd and a full album cd next year because we are still fans.

I understand being frustrated with some things, but the other poster said "They always dissappoint me."

If Linkin Park ALWAYS disappoints him, then I really don't see why he would bother dealing with it anymore. Perhaps him saying that he is always disappointed was a bit of an overreaction.