Mike Shinoda talks about tribute bands

Honestly a very measured and respectful response, of course it's a bit of an awkward topic, but some comments I've seen made it sound like he was going to bash them when this wasn't that

19 minutes ago, YRQRM0 said:

Honestly a very measured and respectful response, of course it's a bit of an awkward topic, but some comments I've seen made it sound like he was going to bash them when this wasn't that

Whats the most controversial comment has ever said? Chvrches is disney commercial music lol

Mike is almost 50, he trashed those guys so bad he is not happy that they are touring the world making money with LPs body of work.

Fuck HT those guys its not a tribute anymore they are just imposters that dont give a shit about Chester's death or the bands legacy they are just making money.

If the band endorsed them it would be another story.

From the tone of Mike's comment, clearly he wasnt keen with the tribute band. People comparing the tribute band with Queen & The Beatles, those 2 band is not really active anymore and nowhere near to do a proper show/tour. even Queen tour with Adam Lambert, the band wasnt really complete without John Deacon. for LP case, the band still here, still releasing unreleased stuff, the band had meeting privately, it's not like LP no longer exists. that's why i very dislike the cover band like HT (what a creative way to use the original pre-LINKIN PARK band name) and touring internationally. 

8 hours ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

Fuck HT those guys its not a tribute anymore they are just imposters that dont give a shit about Chester's death or the bands legacy they are just making money.

You seriously say some of the dumbest shit I’ve ever read on this forum. It baffles me how you’re an enabler for AI imposters (that the band also did not endorse) but this really upsets you. 

This looks like something Geki would post. I don’t understand why you have such a vendetta against tribute bands, just don’t fucking watch them if you don’t like them and get on with your life. 

People still want to connect with the music live. Linkin Park haven’t performed live since 2017, 7 years nearly. Why should fans not be allowed to go to a concert to see someone perform their favourite songs, especially when they know exactly what they’re getting?

you keep calling them “imposters” but they advertise VERY clearly they are a tribute/cover band. They never say they ARE Linkin Park or their members, they never try to convince you they are. It’s an act, and every single person that walks into that concert hall knows that.

Mike seems not to be a huge fan and it's totally fine, it's more like "Oh okay, they're a thing and they're not hurting anyone, they can have fun" because I wonder how charging money for it affects the tribute band in the sense of the label possibly getting involved legally (as an ignorant person myself about it). The major negative for me about this whole thing are the people who see these bands either live or online and react with the "Oh man, this person nails and sounds like Chester, the real band should contact them, it's disrespecting that LP wants to continue without a singer, shame on them!" type of absolute immature take. Aside for that, I'm not big on these either, but it would be kinda fun to help a local band if they wanted to cover a song giving them or even playing with them using official stems of the samples.

Edited by RentEznor

13 hours ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

Whats the most controversial comment has ever said? Chvrches is disney commercial music lol

Mike is almost 50, he trashed those guys so bad he is not happy that they are touring the world making money with LPs body of work.

If the band endorsed them it would be another story.

Honestly, I think you've just made up the content of the interview just to fit your worldview.

you can clearly tell he aint a fan of those tribute bands. Honestly one thing is being a tribute band in your city at a small bar between beers, another is touring different countries and doint arenas. I dont know if they even charge but its straight up disrespectful

Financially, LP definitely gets at least a little taste in royalties from every performance of their song in front of live audience.

But if there's so much demand for LP that basically 6 impostors can tour and fill up large venues, it makes you ask how much demand is there for the original LP. If they came back as the "original 5" + a new singer, they would 100% be headlining the biggest festivals and filling up arenas.

The Cambridge dictionary defines impostor as:

a person who pretends to be someone else in order to deceive others

Their definition of deception is:

the act of hiding the truth, especially to get an advantage

The Merriam-Webster defines it as:

one that assumes false identity or title for the purpose of deception

For them, deception is:

the act of causing someone to accept as true or valid what is false or invalid

Now let's take a look at what Hybrid Theory and other cover bands are doing:

13 hours ago, BeardyWilderness said:

they advertise VERY clearly they are a tribute/cover band. They never say they ARE Linkin Park or their members, they never try to convince you they are. It’s an act, and every single person that walks into that concert hall knows that.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. I hope you have learned something today.

14 hours ago, lpliveusername said:

The Cambridge dictionary defines impostor as:

Their definition of deception is:

The Merriam-Webster defines it as:

For them, deception is:

Now let's take a look at what Hybrid Theory and other cover bands are doing:

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. I hope you have learned something today.

Ha! I needed to smile today, thanks.

Thanks, but you can switch the word "impostors" with "lookalikes" and my point still stands.

I don't know, I never had much problem with tribute acts of bands like The Beatles etc. But if I see a tribute band of a contemporary act, it kind of creeps me out.

Paying homage to your favorite artist is fine, being a cover band is fine, but you're taking it one step further and now dressing up like Mike Shinoda who is still very much alive and active & imitating all his little behaviors on stage.

They're apparently pushing ad campaigns for the international tour too. Idk, it reaches a point where I have mixed feelings

Edited by millytripleseven

Tribute bands dressing up and acting like the bands they're paying tribute to is nothing new. And there are plenty of tribute bands out there for other acts that are still touring and recording. Hybrid Theory is far more popular than any tribute band I've ever seen which is why I think it feels exploitative to many people. As long as they cover their bases on the legal side, I don't see any problem with them continuing to pay tribute to a band they obviously have a lot of passion for.

4 hours ago, leftshoe18 said:

Tribute bands dressing up and acting like the bands they're paying tribute to is nothing new. And there are plenty of tribute bands out there for other acts that are still touring and recording. Hybrid Theory is far more popular than any tribute band I've ever seen which is why I think it feels exploitative to many people. As long as they cover their bases on the legal side, I don't see any problem with them continuing to pay tribute to a band they obviously have a lot of passion for.

Pa$$ion

On one hand, there's obviously a demand for LP material in a live setting that LP themselves aren't fulfilling that this tribute band is.

On the other hand, I can see the members of LP feeling weird about it because these guys are touring the world and playing arena shows off the back of LP's body of work. It's like they skipped the grind of making the music and working their way up from the club scene, etc. and they're just touring successfully exclusively off of material made by someone else.

Mike was definitely, in his typically measured and professional way, saying "I wouldn't know about that stuff because I made original music. I was never in the business of copying others."

It reminds me of when he was asked about Dimitris Papasinos. Like he's not gonna be rude or shit on anyone, but he'll also make it very clear that he's not into it.

Edited by Justin

1 hour ago, Justin said:

On one hand, there's obviously a demand for LP material in a live setting that LP themselves aren't fulfilling that this tribute band is.

On the other hand, I can see the members of LP feeling weird about it because these guys are touring the world and playing arena shows off the back of LP's body of work. It's like they skipped the grind of making the music and working their way up from the club scene, etc. and they're just touring successfully exclusively off of material made by someone else.

Mike was definitely, in his typically measured and professional way, saying "I wouldn't know about that stuff because I made original music. I was never in the business of copying others."

It reminds me of when he was asked about the DPARK guy. Like he's not gonna be rude or shit on anyone, but he'll also make it very clear that he's not into it.

This is exactly what I think, my posts sometimes look dramatic because my english sucks ass but for me the HT ass holes already crossed the line between a tribute and actually taking advantage and making money from the bands work.

I'll find a way to make money out of LPs legacy seems like that's already okay with everybody.

7 minutes ago, JZLP-NaughtyNottingham said:

This is exactly what I think, my posts sometimes look dramatic because my english sucks ass but for me the HT ass holes already crossed the line between a tribute and actually taking advantage and making money from the bands work.

I remember someone asked Mike on Twitch if he would mind people using the leaked LP stems to make remixes or original music, and his response was pretty much "I have no problem with that at all, unless you start using our work to make money off it somehow. That's not something I'd be alright with."

So it's not surprising that he's not super stoked about a band touring the world by playing LP's music exclusively lol

Edited by Justin

13 hours ago, millytripleseven said:

Thanks, but you can switch the word "impostors" with "lookalikes" and my point still stands.

I don't know, I never had much problem with tribute acts of bands like The Beatles etc. But if I see a tribute band of a contemporary act, it kind of creeps me out.

Paying homage to your favorite artist is fine, being a cover band is fine, but you're taking it one step further and now dressing up like Mike Shinoda who is still very much alive and active & imitating all his little behaviors on stage.

They're apparently pushing ad campaigns for the international tour too. Idk, it reaches a point where I have mixed feelings

well, promoted ads huh? this is getting ridiculous.

Let me tell you from the perspective of someone from a small city from a 3rd world country:

WE LOVE TRIBUTE BANDS. Or tribute anything, we love "impersonators" of anything (football players, movie actors...)

If that wasn't an option, we would never have a chance to see anything similar to the greatest acts in the world. 
Tribute bands are a way to fulfill that desire of seeing something we can only dream watching from a screen. We see them as a gimmick obvisouly, and it's so fun! Just don't take it so seriously.

There are BILLIONS of people living away from the main centers were artists tour around. There's no such thing as "World Tour", lots os countries and cities don't have a chance.

So, i guess the situation here is that HT got big! Maybe way too big that if feels like they are replacing Linkin Park and i'm pretty sure the guys from HT would never ever even think about it, the public put them in that spotlight, the public is commenting all those awkward things in their videos on youtube. The band itselft is doing a homage and making money from doing it in a great way! They are working.

Maybe they crossed the line of a Tribute band because they got big, that i agree. It just shows how there's a big demand for LP out there.

Edited by vinifeijo

You can't force LP to get out from retirement, but you can't expect that a tribute band, with their hard work unexpectedly had filled that gap, to suddenly stop because you got butthurt. That's how life works, they fill a need for Linkin Park live shows. I'm not fan of tribute bands, I've seen a couple of Metallica and Megadeth tributes and they were just ok, but not everyone can afford to travel 1000kms to see those bands live, so I get the point of them existing. 

Some of you so pissed off with a tribute band when there's things worst like awful AI covers with Chester's voice and certain loser using vocal outtakes in reworked albums to revive his mediocre grunge band.