Mike Shinoda talks about tribute bands

12 hours ago, RYG4R said:

There will be a time that HT will be dissolved and that vocalist guy would want to audition for LINKIN PARK. 

and LP won't go for it since they've consistently said from the start that they're not looking for a soundalike, let alone someone who, while he is a great vocalist, has made a career off of doing his best CB impression.

How can anyone dislike tribute bands at face value? Even active bands have them - Hardwired follows Metallica on tour and plays around their shows, the night before, etc for example. Even Metallica brings in tribute bands for their 2 show weekends they've been doing lately, around official events.

Of course LP would have tribute bands. The band has not played a show in nearly 7 years and LP is one of the biggest bands in our lifetime - there is a big want to see that music live.

In the End and Hybrid Theory (PT) are doing a great job with setlists and shows. People have a great time at those shows, people who got to see LP and who never got to see LP. It's just to celebrate the music. There's no harm in any of that. The HT band's setlists are really something, that show they have from the arena on YouTube is quite cool. They even play Lost. I'd see that band for sure if they came near me - have seen In the End several times.

LP is on social media and browses it, they've seen these bands multiple times online. 

3 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

How can anyone dislike tribute bands at face value? Even active bands have them - Hardwired follows Metallica on tour and plays around their shows, the night before, etc for example. Even Metallica brings in tribute bands for their 2 show weekends they've been doing lately, around official events.

Of course LP would have tribute bands. The band has not played a show in nearly 7 years and LP is one of the biggest bands in our lifetime - there is a big want to see that music live.

In the End and Hybrid Theory (PT) are doing a great job with setlists and shows. People have a great time at those shows, people who got to see LP and who never got to see LP. It's just to celebrate the music. There's no harm in any of that. The HT band's setlists are really something, that show they have from the arena on YouTube is quite cool. They even play Lost. I'd see that band for sure if they came near me - have seen In the End several times.

LP is on social media and browses it, they've seen these bands multiple times online. 

What do you think about Mike's response?

On 4/23/2024 at 4:48 PM, bloodbath said:

You can't force LP to get out from retirement, but you can't expect that a tribute band, with their hard work unexpectedly had filled that gap, to suddenly stop because you got butthurt. That's how life works, they fill a need for Linkin Park live shows. I'm not fan of tribute bands, I've seen a couple of Metallica and Megadeth tributes and they were just ok, but not everyone can afford to travel 1000kms to see those bands live, so I get the point of them existing. 

Some of you so pissed off with a tribute band when there's things worst like awful AI covers with Chester's voice and certain loser using vocal outtakes in reworked albums to revive his mediocre grunge band. 

Preach

2 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

How can anyone dislike tribute bands at face value? Even active bands have them - Hardwired follows Metallica on tour and plays around their shows

I think that most (if not all) people who express mixed feelings about this particular situation don't have any disdain for tribute bands or anything like it, at all.

It is purely a result of the unique situation Linkin Park is in right now. To put it in simple words, fans wish it was LP themselves who were playing their songs around the world right now (they don't for an obvious reason).

This is a normal human reaction, which to me is 100% understandable. People have a right to feel that way. Mike has a right to not be the biggest fan of the idea as well given the situation they're in (trying to figure out if or how they want to move on).

My only problem with HT is that they copy the beards, hair styles, brads headphones, clothing styles....its deeply creepy and cringy to me. If they had their own art style and did LP Covers, it would be (for me) something entirely else, but the way they do it now, impossible for me to watch and enojy.

34 minutes ago, Alexonlyalex said:

My only problem with HT is that they copy the beards, hair styles, brads headphones, clothing styles....its deeply creepy and cringy to me. If they had their own art style and did LP Covers, it would be (for me) something entirely else, but the way they do it now, impossible for me to watch and enojy.

I have a problem with calling them Hybrid Theory

starting from now ill call them Hoax Tribute, HT.

4 hours ago, Alexonlyalex said:

That's what a tribute band usually is in comparison with a cover band. They embody the original to such fine detail instead of simply performing the song without any visual key on who they're covering.

I have no issue with trIbute acts, they are everywhere. I mean even people not keen on such acts will have struggled to have avoided at the very least seeing an Elvis impersonator at a bar somewhere and many actIve bands also have fairly well known tribute acts.

For me the problem arises if LP decide to start touring with a new singer who will presumably not be a like for like Chester replacement. The band will sound a bit different meaning that for those fans wanting to see the bands hits performed as close to the original as possible HT might offer that more so then the actual band themselves. 

I totally respect Mike's opinion on it and i can only imagine how he feels having written all that music, especially in this particular time of his career. Personally, I am neutral over cover bands for LP or any band in general. I even encouraged someone to join an LP cover band because they are an amazing vocalist. To each their own, is what i say.

Edited by AceWav