Papercuts (Singles Collection 2000-2023) Manufacturing Errors

lpliveusername

While the digital edition of Papercuts contains album versions of the songs, we've been seeing reports (like in this Reddit thread) from fans all over the world about their physical editions (CD and vinyl) having different versions of the songs. It appears some countries got the album versions while others got the single versions.

We ask your help to get to the bottom of this. If you purchased a physical edition of the compilation, let us know which edition you have, where it was manufactured and which version of the songs (album or single) is included in it.

We've also heard about the center of the vinyls having the wrong lengths for a few songs. If you have noticed any other manufacturing errors in any edition of the compilation, let us know about it.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, bloodbath said:

HT20 part 2

ha! now that you mentioned that. I haven't opened my HT20 since 2020. I don't even know what copies I have. What error does HT20 have? is there a misprint? 

First observations on CD vs digital - (any mention of the word "Single" in this sense is referring to the single LP released of the song when the song first came out, NOT referring to Papercut Singles Collection):

-Faint intro is cut on both, which is a shame.

-CD: Papercut ending (to OSC) that goes into BTH... it could be edited for 0.1 seconds longer to segue into BTH. Anyone else hear that on the CD?

-Breaking the Habit on digital goes into From the Inside - it is not there on the CD. What is frustrating is the BTH Single from 2004 has a great intro and they didn't use it at all on this. The crash is also slightly shorter than the Street Team version from 2004.

-Waiting for the End digital goes into Blackout with the segue - it is not there on the CD.

-What I've Done - follow me on this, this one on digital comes from the > transition from SOTD but the CD one is the album version with a cut intro that's faded in - that's my guess. Neither of them are the Single version. Digital has that 0.1 longer transition on this WID that makes it sound like it has that very final transition keyboard/whatever note. CD does not. Regardless, you can safely argue that the intro of WID is cut like Faint's intro is.

-Leave Out All the Rest digital has the party on Bleed It Out after it (album version), CD does not and ends like the Single version.

We need a rip of every single physical format release of this. Knowing the label, they could have put different versions on different formats of physical releases. We need the cassette, every vinyl (every pressing of those vinyls), and every CD pressing. Goodness.

Getting the recordings for all the vinyls and cassette is gonna be the hardest because you have to actually recording the whole album as it plays. Hopefully someone here is willing to do this 

Edited by solidss

Thanks for linkining my Reddit thread. I also checked my CD again. You can hear a the last note from the SOTD segue thing.

Also  can confirm that the LOATR on the vinyl is also the single version (no party at the end)

So Waiting For The End on "Papercuts" CD contains no transition to Blackout which is happening for the first time, since the WFTE Promo CD single or the official CD single released in stores had the album version of the song.

Besides the lacks transition to Blackout, the song also contains different effects used on vocals. A different delay effect on the Papercuts version can be heard when you compare below two fragments:

WFTE-album version
WFTE-papercuts/2012 album version

Another example with even more noticable difference is at the end when Chester sings the last word "got!":

WFTE-album version
WFTE-papercuts/2012 album version

When you compare those fragments you will be able to hear those differences. Also, there might be something else which I'm not sure about it. I exctracted the acapella from both versions and I want you to compare and let know what you think about it. Here are two fragments of the acapella:

WFTE (acapella)-album version
WFTE (acapella)-papercuts/2012 album version

When Chester sings "Flying at the speed of light" - it's about the last word "light" it sounds a bit different and the question is, is it sounds different because of the different effects on the vocals or it's different vocal take?

EDIT: sometimes try to listen to those fragments in the different order, it  can help to notice better the differences.

EDIT2: the guitar loop at the beginning also has different effects:

WFTE-2010-album version
WFTE-papercuts/2012-album version

Sigh. Also, why cheap sleeves and not proper jewel boxes? They did the same with HT20 and M20. I get they wanna avoid using plastic but goddamn, my M20 vinyls suffered a bit without any sleeves at all inside the main sleeve itself.

17 hours ago, LPLStaff said:

We need a rip of every single physical format release of this. Knowing the label, they could have put different versions on different formats of physical releases. We need the cassette, every vinyl (every pressing of those vinyls), and every CD pressing. Goodness.

I might get the CD version next week if that helps.

20 hours ago, martinez said:

So Waiting For The End on "Papercuts" CD contains no transition to Blackout which is happening for the first time, since the WFTE Promo CD single or the official CD single released in stores had the album version of the song.

Besides the lacks transition to Blackout, the song also contains different effects used on vocals. A different delay effect on the Papercuts version can be heard when you compare below two fragments:

WFTE-album version
WFTE-papercuts version

Another example with even more noticable difference is at the end when Chester sings the last word "got!":

WFTE-album version
WFTE-papercuts version

When you compare those fragments you will be able to hear those differences. Also, there might be something else which I'm not sure about it. I exctracted the acapella from both versions and I want you to compare and let know what you think about it. Here are two fragments of the acapella:

WFTE (acapella)-papercuts version

When Chester sings "Flying at the speed of light" - it's about the last word "light" it sounds a bit different and the question is, is it sounds different because of the different effects on the vocals or it's different vocal take?

EDIT: sometimes try to listen to those fragments in the different order, it  can help to notice better the differences.

How in the world did your ear catch that the first time? Diving into it, there are definitely different effects on the vocals. The "got" at the end is the most evident of this.

More importantly - how many versions of these songs does the record label have and how could something like this have gotten into a Waiting for the End release? Are they just pulling random masters/versions of songs?

I wonder if the WFTE thing is possibly due to updating software, like the song was made on V1 of Valhalla delay and Ableton 9 or whatever, and when they open it today it's automatically transferring to Ableton 11 with Valhalla 2.0 and there are differences in how the software behaves today, so when they re-export there are slight differences

Just a guess because yeah otherwise it doesn't make much sense why they would grab different versions 

On 4/14/2024 at 1:19 PM, martinez said:

WFTE-album version
WFTE-papercuts version

WFTE-album version
WFTE-papercuts version

WFTE (acapella)-papercuts version

It's not a different vocal take as far as I can tell, but there's absolutely a different treatment on Chester's vocal when it comes to pitch correction on the Papercuts version. He kind of slides up into the word "light" on the original album version, on the Papercuts version the pitch jumps to the "final" note he lands on a lot more quickly.

We've got some kind of Shadow of the Day alternate mix crap going on with WFTE on this version, ladies and gentlemen. Bravo, Warner, bravo.

29 minutes ago, Astat said:

It's not a different vocal take as far as I can tell, but there's absolutely a different treatment on Chester's vocal when it comes to pitch correction on the Papercuts version. He kind of slides up into the word "light" on the original album version, on the Papercuts version the pitch jumps to the "final" note he lands on a lot more quickly.

We've got some kind of Shadow of the Day alternate mix crap going on with WFTE on this version, ladies and gentlemen. Bravo, Warner, bravo.

But what about the "got" at the end? That is an effect on the vocal, instead of a pitch correction, right? It sounds more "watery" if that makes sense (not a musical background person with this stuff). So it could be a different vocal treatment of the entire acapella?

6 minutes ago, LPLStaff said:

But what about the "got" at the end? That is an effect on the vocal, instead of a pitch correction, right? It sounds more "watery" if that makes sense (not a musical background person with this stuff). So it could be a different vocal treatment of the entire acapella?

And the "oooohs" are very different.

The "ooohs" feel so dry and raw, like they removed some of the layer effects it had. Someone opened the file to edit something and export and fucked up removing something they shouldn't had.

The "light" thing totally sounds like another take. 

Edited by vinifeijo

Confirmed: this version of WFTE was delivered to digital stores in 2012 that became Mastered for iTunes/ 24-bit versions in some digital stores.

So it's the same time of when the wrong versions of SOTD, NRL was delivered.

30 minutes ago, vinifeijo said:

The "ooohs" feel so dry and raw, like they removed some of the layer effects it had. Someone opened the file to edit something and export and fucked up removing something they shouldn't had.

The "light" thing totally sounds like another take. 

Nah not another take but a difference in tuning like Astat says. For that one it's hard to imagine it not being an intentional different pass rather than an accidental change of layers or chain in a re-export or anything 

What I've understood so far, this is messier than the HT20:

The idea of the band was as it follows: Instead of just taking the single versions of the tracks (just your regular songs without the 2, 3 seconds of album transitions), they decided to take the album tracks and make new transitions for this tracklist (like Papercut going to BTH instead of OSC), but somewhere along the way, with too many people involved with no clear indications of what they had to do... We had this.

7 hours ago, bloodbath said:

What I've understood so far, this is messier than the HT20:

The idea of the band was as it follows: Instead of just taking the single versions of the tracks (just your regular songs without the 2, 3 seconds of album transitions), they decided to take the album tracks and make new transitions for this tracklist (like Papercut going to BTH instead of OSC), but somewhere along the way, with too many people involved with no clear indications of what they had to do... We had this.

I think it's the opposite - the idea of the band was to just release the album versions of it all. And then the label somewhere along the way tried to remove a few transitions, but they never used proper Single versions for them all. There's no excuse to have different Physical vs Digital releases for the same release. And we are seeing reports Physical is two different versions. lol. Wild.

What's insane is Faint's intro is cut on all of it. They don't have access to normal Single edits of all of the songs??

13 hours ago, martinez said:

Confirmed: this version of WFTE was delivered to digital stores in 2012 that became Mastered for iTunes/ 24-bit versions in some digital stores.

So it's the same time of when the wrong versions of SOTD, NRL was delivered.

How many releases was this wrong WFTE included on since 2012? Was ATS repressed on vinyl (or anything else) since then? All of the vinyls/CDs made with the new Warner Records name instead of Warner Bros... is it on those? And what digital releases is it on?

So WFTE has been replaced just about everywhere with an incorrect version? This is a pretty significant discovery martinez, nice work. It's like the real WFTE is being erased...

Just following all of this from afar since I don't care about this release. But I'm happy that it happened on this and not on M20. In a day and age where physical releases are declining it sure sucks to have something that messy.