Linkin Park - Lost | Out February 10, 2023

PeppePark

9 minutes ago, NJPLP said:

Where are these extracts of the interview on New York Times?

another thing that caught my attention right at the beginning of the interview on KROQ is that when mike said that they played 300 shows in 365 days (probably related to 2001) and we have as a base here in the forum 165 shows in 2001, how many more incredible shows the band may have done in that period. wow.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Qwerty18 said:

There are extracts of an interview with Mike (found it in the New York Times), where it's revealed that "Fighting Myself" and "More the Victim" are also near completed songs.

Mike finished the mixing of "Fighting Myself" last year, while "More the Victim" is a demo near completion. Each of them would display a different side of the band. Cool Stuff!

so its kinda like half of the tracks from Lost Demos CD section are finalized songs, and half of the tracks are demos, right?

11 minutes ago, thigolpbr said:

another thing that caught my attention right at the beginning of the interview on KROQ is that when mike said that they played 300 shows in 365 days (probably related to 2001) and we have as a base here in the forum 165 shows in 2001, how many more incredible shows the band may have done in that period. wow.

Because that is simply wrong. We have no idea how that 300 shows in one year thing started (at least I don't know) but it makes no sense and is not true and I am pretty sure that even the band realised that at one point. I vaguely remember that they admitted in an interview that while they played a shit load of shows, it wasn't 300. So I am surprised that Mike is coming back with that wrong trivia.

Edited by Coizu

2 minutes ago, Coizu said:

Because that is simply wrong. We have no idea how that 300 shows in one year thing started (at least I don't know) but it makes no sense and is not true and I am pretty sure that even the band realised that at one point. I vaguely remember that they admitted in an interview that while they played a shit load of shows, it wasn't 300. So I am surprised that Mike is coming back with that wrong trivia.

I think he mentioned it when the band was reacting to the Canes Bar & Grill San Diego show from 2001 back in March 2020.

38 minutes ago, Qwerty18 said:

There are extracts of an interview with Mike (found it in the New York Times), where it's revealed that "Fighting Myself" and "More the Victim" are also near completed songs.

Mike finished the mixing of "Fighting Myself" last year, while "More the Victim" is a demo near completion. Each of them would display a different side of the band. Cool Stuff!

So those two aren't B-sides which didn't make the cut. There are 3 B-sides. One of them is "Lost". I thought Fighting Myself and More The Victim are those 2 missing, but those are only demos near completion. That probably means we got only one B-side, maybe two.

Edited by Hybrider

Regarding the New Divide references,  two things come to mind :

• It adds an additional layer to the idea of "being lost in memories", by making references to memories of the "Linkin Park" days, not just Meteora. New Divide was a huge hit, which means lot of people would recognize the bits from "New Divide"
  • More likely, it just looks cool with the effects and stuff ^^

13 minutes ago, Coizu said:

What's really interesting are the other music videos they reference. The BTH reference is obvious, but there are also some SIB scenes etc.

But what really confuses me are the New Divide references. How do those fit it?

You clearly don't understand AI. What is happening is they literally fed these music videos and whatever anime into a machine that diffuses and rebuilds them back into sonething different. It will uses these "references" to build a "new" image. However, it's just a machine and will, at times, just spit out the same exact image. You are seeing this with New Divide in there because the algorithm failed to make something coherent and just rebuilt the same image. There are no references in this music video. A reference is intentional. This is not. It's just cheap.

Edited by TheVeryLastDinosaur

13 minutes ago, Coizu said:

What's really interesting are the other music videos they reference. The BTH reference is obvious, but there are also some SIB scenes etc.

But what really confuses me are the New Divide references. How do those fit it?

Another video with special effects overlaid too, I'm sure that's a factor

3 minutes ago, TheVeryLastDinosaur said:

You clearly don't understand AI.

If you say so, lol.

If they include New Divide in the training data it was still a conscious decision to include it. Also just because it is "AI" doesn't mean you don't have any control of how the output looks like (hint: you still have as much control as you want). The AI won't throw out a finished video that they are forced to just upload. There are a couple more manual steps involved. But since you are an AI expert (which you are clearly not) and I don't know anything, you were probably already aware of that.

5 minutes ago, Coizu said:

If you say so, lol.

If they include New Divide in the training data it was still a conscious decision to include it. Also just because it is "AI" doesn't mean you don't have any control of how the output looks like (hint: you still have as much control as you want). The AI won't throw out a finished video that they are forced to just upload. There are a couple more manual steps involved. But since you are an AI expert (which you are clearly not) and I don't know anything, you were probably already aware of that.

The song deserved better than this. The song is great. The music video is mushy and confusing. And I do know about AI. I've resrarched it alot. I wanted to know about it, the system, how it works, the ethics behind it. It's scary. The legalities are confusing, it infringes on artists, and it just consumes people's hard work and outputs images faster than anyone. The problem with using AI as well is it skips so many crucial learning steps to be an artist. Part of the enjoyment is the process of creating. But peoplevwant finished products immediately now a days. It's a terrifying thing and I think people are to lax about it.

And yes, you are right. They did have to feed it the information and they do get to pick out the result but its still lazy. Warner makes a ton of money (and I believe this is mostly a Warner decision) and can easily hire artists like they did with BTH. This is just lazy directing with no passion in my opinion. It screams, "good enough" to me and they didn't want to polish it further. It screams money over passion. If they went back and took an artist hand over it to make it more coherent or blend better then I'd be less harsh. But that would require paying an artist.

I'm not blaming LP for this. I think this is a Warner decision to save money while making more money.

It's validating today to see confirmation of stuff I'd suggested in the chat: that it's an Andy Wallace mix of "Lost" on the CD and the demo stuff is newly edited/comped together from multitrack sessions, as Mike explained about "Fighting Myself."

I'm really enjoying "Lost" and on the one hand, I think the mix is cool and I'm excited to hear that approach on other tracks, and on the other hand I think it will be cool to compare the two mixes. Knee jerk reaction, I think the guitars and strings will be more pronounced than some of the electronics on Andy's mix.

I went back and listened to the Meteora demos we got on the LPU releases. One thing that stood out was that Lost really fits in with them in terms of the music and scope. The band mentioned on the making of DVD how they wanted the album to be more "cinematic" and "big scope" in feel and sound, and I think Lost and those demos encapsulate that pretty well. This makes me excited for the other b-sides as well as the demos. 

Is there any confirmation that the CD in the super deluxe boxset also contains the Andy Wallace mix of Lost? Or if the box comes with a "hi-res" download (doubtful it's anything over 320 kbps), if that's included? This may have been addressed elsewhere, but I'm just catching up with this morning's stuff. It's absent from the description and the track list.

I don't have much use for CDs these days, but it would be good to have a lossless source for the OG mix. It's not mentioned anywhere else on the band's website except the standalone CD set. You'd think that they'd all be the same, but then look at the situation with the vinyl boxsets. It just seems dumb to me to make a two different sets of CDs to keep a single track away from anyone except the diehards who will buy everything. The smaller vinyl boxset bothers me less this time because it feels like less of a repeat with two exclusive records, rather than one for HT.

Not to complain too much, though. Just want to make sure I'm covering my bases.

Edited by letdownagain

1 hour ago, letdownagain said:

It's validating today to see confirmation of stuff I'd suggested in the chat: that it's an Andy Wallace mix of "Lost" on the CD and the demo stuff is newly edited/comped together from multitrack sessions, as Mike explained about "Fighting Myself."

Are you sure? I understood Mike in a completely different way. I listened to the interview today and I think that he meant that he didn't do anything with these demos. Obviously, they are newly mixed and mastered but he said that he hadn't added anything new, hadn't re-recorded his verses in these songs and in general, had tried to keep everything as authentic as possible. He even said that the demos had been created in 2003 and there was no point in changing them up completely. When it comes to Fighting Myself, I believe that he wanted to say that he just hadn't had the version with the chorus which he had to add from another version of the demo which the band's manager had found.

30 minutes ago, blackout said:

Are you sure? I understood Mike in a completely different way. I listened to the interview today and I think that he meant that he didn't do anything with these demos. Obviously, they are newly mixed and mastered but he said that he hadn't added anything new, hadn't re-recorded his verses in these songs and in general, had tried to keep everything as authentic as possible. He even said that the demos had been created in 2003 and there was no point in changing them up completely. When it comes to Fighting Myself, I believe that he wanted to say that he just hadn't had the version with the chorus which he had to add from another version of the demo which the band's manager had found.

It's worth going back and checking out, maybe I'm wrong, especially with what Mike said in the NYT interview, though it does say it received a "light touch during mixing." But it sounded like getting the multitrack from the manager meant he could go in and pick the best parts available to use, which wouldn't be the same as re-recording or anything anything, but really just using the best pre-existing bits.

EDIT: Not an exact, 100% transcript, but here’s the penitent stuff Mike says:

I had the opportunity to go in on a couple of them. We had, um, there’s a song called “Fighting Myself” in this batch, as well…”

“Do we have multitracks?”

“He found the session with the multis, um, they were like exports so I brought – I got to take them into the computer and pick through what was there and we had the makings of a chorus that was like 90% done…”

He does talk about not re-recording and "to the listener it's done," but it does sound like some additional post production/remixing was done, it wasn't just like the file he got from the manager exported. Maybe it's too much for me to say "edited/comped," and I had thought he said something more explicit, so that's my bad. But like you said, if he took the chorus from the manager's demo, and then other parts from the demo he had, that's editing stuff together. It's not super clear yet that that happened, though.

But we do know with the new mix of "Lost" that they're not adverse to remixing and that doesn't interfere with the concept of keeping everything authentic, and "Fighting Myself" is also probably technically a "new" mix, even though it's the only version of the song we'll have.

That's all just to say that I find this stuff super fascinating. If I had to pick *one* thing that was the reason for me going to audio school as an adult, it was watching Mike with Pro Tools in the back of the bus on Frat Party. 

Edited by letdownagain

I thought that the music video will look different, I mean that the whole video will be animated from scratch, but they actually took a various scenes from WID and other videos and animated them.

------------------------------

Just in case if someone still don't know that:

Lost

mixed by: Manny Marroquin

mastered by: Brian "Big Bass" Gardner

Lost (2002 Mix)

mixed by: Andy Wallace

mastered by: Brian "Big Bass" Gardner

Lost (2002 Mix) is the original track that was already mixed and mastered in 2003.

Edited by martinez

I am super glad we are getting the 2002 mix of Lost still. I was concerned they dropped it. But what I'm more interested in is the hidden gem in the demos. On HT20 it was Stick N Move with Chester. That was by far my favourite of those demos. So, I am very eager to hear these.